Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I still think people are been way too over critical of the team and the boss after yesterdays game. We were the better team for the most part imo, a bit of magic from Hazard won it for them and when you see Mourinho bringing on Mikel for an attacking player with 20 minutes to go you know your doing something right. Its only the small details this team is missing out on, like that heavy touch from Wilshere when he was clear on goal. Its little details like that in tight games that is the difference. Yous can go on about high lines too but the fact is we were chasing the game when the caught us cold for there 2nd, I would rather lose by 2 and giving it a right go than losing by 1 and sitting back. You have got to remember this team was missing a massive player in Ramsey yesterday, and not to forget we have Walcott to come back.

I agree with what Wenger had to say about Chelsea's financial power too, they have spent over a billion pounds on players since 2003, more than double what we have spent. Its an outrageous advantage the likes of them and City have not only over us but the rest of the chasing pack.

didn't comment yesterday as I was too fed up and disappointed.

Am slowly coming around to this view and maybe the season is not over yet.

However, the next 10-12 matches are crucial. No City or Chelsea and there is nobody else we should fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A big heap of points in those fixtures is attainable if we're playing well. But we're not, so its no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We were chasing the game, our defenders needed to be pushing up at that stage.

Even if we had two more players than them, we wouldn't have broken them the way we were playing... our top man is left to fight for ball with 3 or 4 defenders and the rest of the midfield, including full backs even they want to go thru the middle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Even if we had two more players than them, we wouldn't have broken them the way we were playing... our top man is left to fight for ball with 3 or 4 defenders and the rest of the midfield, including full backs even they want to go thru the middle...

So you'd have preferred if we just sat back and accepted a 1-0 loss and not even tried?

I agree that we need more variation and width in attack but complaining about our defenders being to far up the pitch when we're chasing a match after 80 minutes is off the mark imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So you'd have preferred if we just sat back and accepted a 1-0 loss and not even tried?

I agree that we need more variation and width in attack but complaining about our defenders being to far up the pitch when we're chasing a match after 80 minutes is off the mark imo.

You can't really say that with any authority.
    Who's to say we wouldn't have equalised later had we kept our defenders back and not made the space even more confined than it was.

• Advertisement

Did Chelsea push there defenders up so high to take the lead - nope...there full backs rarely ventured into our half...

That's it we need more variation, a bit of zip and width and above all not getting sucked high up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Did Chelsea push there defenders up so high to take the lead - nope...there full backs rarely ventured into our half...

That's it we need more variation, width and not getting sucked high up the pitch.

We have one game plan,if its not working we just keep going, until we get caught on the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I still think people are been way too over critical of the team and the boss after yesterdays game.

The issue isnt just this game
    its the fact Wenger has NEVER beaten Mourinho
    its the fact we generally underperform in the BIG matches against the top 4 teams.
    its the fact more often than not its the tactics that let us down
    its the fact theres is no plan B against the top teams
    its the fact Wenger wont adjust the teams tactics based on the opposition or more importantly based on the result we need to get.

We have one game plan,if its not working we just keep going, until we get caught on the break.

Agree, and i'm sure majority of the goals we concede are from the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

You fancy 30/36 points from those fixtures? Anything other than 2 wins against Anderlecht and a draw against Dortmund could also leave Galatasaray as a crucial decider.
    That's quite a run of form required.

Very negative outlook. Two easy wins against Anderlecht is 6 points, Galatasaray won't take anything off Dortmund and they've already drawn against Anderlecht. We'll be qualified from this group after 4 games mark my words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

You fancy 30/36 points from those fixtures? Anything other than 2 wins against Anderlecht and a draw against Dortmund could also leave Galatasaray as a crucial decider.
    That's quite a run of form required.

Yes I fancy taking 30/36 points from that run.. don't understand why if everyone had such high hopes about a result at stamford bridge why we couldn't agree that we can take 30/36 points out of all those clubs listed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Very negative outlook. Two easy wins against Anderlecht is 6 points, Galatasaray won't take anything off Dortmund and they've already drawn against Anderlecht. We'll be qualified from this group after 4 games mark my words

I'd agree with this

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Yes I fancy taking 30/36 points from that run

This I expect but am not confident. I think it will boil down to how we start the run of games, if we pick up 6 points in the first two I think we will push on well.

If we dont then I think we will stutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Soups123 wrote: »
    This I expect but am not confident. I think it will boil down to how we start the run of games, if we pick up 6 points in the first two I think we will push on well.

If we dont then I think we will stutter

That's my worry even when we have an off day with smaller teams we get beat. We ain't like most of the top teams when they have a off day they still win, we really struggle. I think we be doing well to get top 4 again this year, we can't compete with the team we have. Our Manager gets outdone by most managers as he has no plan b. Ramsey and Ozil need to step it up. Our centre defence needs to cop the hell on. Welbeck needs to score goals. We need to stop been out done by our rivals.

Come at the end of the year we're still in the title race and CL, I say we be doing well.

Looper007 wrote: »
    That's my worry even when we have an off day with smaller teams we get beat. We ain't like most of the top teams when they have a off day they still win, we really struggle. I think we be doing well to get top 4 again this year, we can't compete with the team we have. Our Manager gets outdone by most managers as he has no plan b. Ramsey and Ozil need to step it up. Our centre defence needs to cop the hell on. Welbeck needs to score goals. We need to stop been out done by our rivals.

Come at the end of the year we're still in the title race and CL, I say we be doing well.

I dont think top 4 will be a problem this year, I think we will finish 3rd. We have got good at beating the smaller teams in the last season and a half. I think we have the makings of a team just shy of challenging but we need the top three axle to gel, there is some excellent quality there Ozil, Sanchez, Wallcott, Ox & Welbeck.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I dont think top 4 will be a problem this year, I think we will finish 3rd. We have got good at beating the smaller teams in the last season and a half. I think we have the makings of a team just shy of challenging but we need the top three axle to gel, there is some excellent quality there Ozil, Sanchez, Wallcott, Ox & Welbeck.

We should make Top 4 but will have to do it by beating the other smaller teams.
    Our away record against the other 3 teams in the Top 4 for the last five seasons makes depressing reading -

Played 15 - W 1 - D 1 - L 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Some good debate in here today

Makes for a change, but I like it

Any word on Walcott's return?

I think he's gonna be our player of the season this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Paj wrote: »
    What’s also obvious is that Chelsea efficiently addressed their squad needs, subject to the managers plan.

Their Manager wants a high workrate team, with skilled players who will also hold their shape and remain organised.
    Capable of playing defensively and grinding out ugly wins when needed.

In order to do this he shipped out headless Luiz – a liability.
    Shipped out two time player of the season and fan favourite Mata – unable to work in such a system.

He brought in 3 key players, Matic, Costa, Fabregas.
    He’s brought back a world class goalie to compete with their already world class goalie.

All the players know their role, know their jobs. Chelsea look like the title is thiers already. Seven games in.

Compare with Arsenal.

What’s the managers Transfer plan?
    Does he even know his best team?
    Is he ruthless enough to ship out players who don’t work in his system?
    What IS the system?
    Is this team capable of winning at all costs?

No to all.

That’s why we’re a soft wishy washy team. We’ve a wishy washy hierarchy at the club.

I’ll miss Wenger when he goes, but we’re directionless at the moment and we’ve been that way for 5 years. Stuck in groundhog day.

A couple of things.

1: yeah, Chelsea brought in those three key players. Also Eto, Salah, Zouma, Willian, Remy, Luis, Van Ginkel.

2: they blew the league last year

3: Chelsea haven't had direction aside from spend big and win. Except of course when Jose is there

4: in terms of delivering titles, Jose might be the greatest manager ever

5: there is absolutely progress in this Arsenal team. People just can't see it because they're bogged down by dissappointment.

I'm pissed off about the poor start to the season but if the new formation is an improvement, then I'm willing to take it. I said previously that 79 points was the target. Realistically, it would take an astounding team to match this Chelsea outfit so I'm not to pushed about a challenge but 2nd is absolutely up for grabs.

80 points and second place please. Then we hope that Jose does his usual and pisses of next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Any word on Walcott's return?

I think he's gonna be our player of the season this year.

Back in full training/squad after the intl break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Interesting listen on talksport about Wenger and Arsenal now. Nice to hear neutrals opinions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

We really miss someone in midfield who understands what to do when we dont have the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hyzepher wrote: »
    We really miss someone in midfield who understands what to do when we dont have the ball

Yeah but that's not what hurt us the other day.

Can't remember the last time a player of ours produced a telling moment of quality in a big game. Guess you could count Walcott who had a superb game against city last year. After that? Nasri 4/5 years ago vrs Utd?

Forget the second goal. Hazard's absolutely decided the game. Chelsea managing the game well afterwards which obviously was a big factor but all in all one of their star players delivered a moment of individual quality.

Our star players sucked ass.

gosplan wrote: »

Can't remember the last time a player of ours produced a telling moment of quality in a big game. Guess you could count Walcott who had a superb game against city last year. After that? Nasri 4/5 years ago vrs Utd?

Forget the second goal. Hazard's absolutely decided the game. Chelsea managing the game well afterwards which obviously was a big factor but all in all one of their star players delivered a moment of individual quality.

Sanchez and Ozil should be those players though but our big players have really under performed in the last two to three years.

Chelsea simply won it on the basic they took their chances well, simple as. They have a top class finishers in both Costa and Hazard. A top quality defensive midfielder in Matic who played very well yesterday.

How long are we going to accept that we need a young brash manager a la Jose, who isn't afraid to buy when we need top signings and isn't afraid to rattle the rivals and not afraid to get rid of underperforming players or drop them. Are we happy to get 4th every season? How many of those young players will stay over time. That's my worry.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Interesting listen on talksport about Wenger and Arsenal now. Nice to hear neutrals opinions.

Raf we ain't all blind to our faults, most of those neutrals are just wanting to take digs cause it's what they love to do.

it's beggars belief now...one ball over the top and we're feckin dead

Apart from that and a Hazard half chance they barely bothered our goal in the 2nd half. If we had a few battling tough ass midfielders who would kick Cesc and Eden off the field and put Ozil in his right position and Sanchez up forward with a top class centre forward (no excuses not to buy one we have the money). We would have won it. Sadly our Manager doesn't think we need to change a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

international break so the thread is probably going to be a bit quieter, what could pass the time?

BzP2NKjCEAAiWlq.jpg:large
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

batistuta9 wrote: »
    international break so the thread is probably going to be a bit quieter, what could pass the time?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzP2NKjCEAAiWlq.jpg:large
    :pac:

We don't need him. We have the Mighty Mesut :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Quazzie wrote: »
    We don't need him. We have the Mighty Mesut :rolleyes:

i only posted it for a laugh, never really got bothered about him once it was known arsenal weren't going in for him.
    but i see it simple enough, until someone - ozil, wilshere, ramsey again - starts putting in performances & numbers like cesc it's going to be an issue.
    it'll annoy some he wasn't signed & annoy others when he's mentioned.

never seen the game y'day, just MOTD, but seemed chelsea scored and had arsenal where they wanted, píssing about in front of them with no penetration.
    all in all it looks to be shaping up as another typical season, no wins in the difficult matches yet (good point at everton though) with a few losses away in them.

6 games now between this and the next intl. break that arsenal should win, bit of confidence back, maybe draw with man u, more wins against weaker sides & hope someone is signed in jan. - khedira is in the papers for a move - for a supposed title challenge that'll fall apart again just after the CL elimination & on to the summer where the increase in spending power will lead to issues being addressed in the squad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I though that's what ozil would bring us. When he's good he's wonderful. When he's not we might as well be a man down.
    Ozil is a symptom of Arsenal as a whole and I include the fans in this. After the Villa game, most posters here were singing his praises and refused to listen to any criticism of his performance against Dortmund with the Chelsea game looming. And once again he plays poorly against a top side but worse than that goes missing and lets his team down. Ozil would not make any of the other top 4 teams starting 11's and I don't think he deserves to be starting for Arsenal right now, definitely not on the wing anyway. Wenger needs to play him consistently as a number 10 and let him make the role his own or not play him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

K4t wrote: »
    Ozil is a symptom of Arsenal as a whole and I include the fans in this. After the Villa game, most posters here were singing his praises and refused to listen to any criticism of his performance against Dortmund with the Chelsea game looming. And once again he plays poorly against a top side but worse than that goes missing and lets his team down. Ozil would not make any of the other top 4 teams starting 11's and I don't think he deserves to be starting for Arsenal right now, definitely not on the wing anyway. Wenger needs to play him consistently as a number 10 and let him make the role his own or not play him at all.

Sorry to be blunt but lol.

gosplan wrote: »

Already forgetting Alexis' goal against City a few weeks ago?

What's wrong with praising a player when he plays well? And he played bad against Dortmund but the point was that every single player on our team was bad against Dortmund, so to single him out was ridiculous in that instance. I'm certainly not going to pretend like he has been good this season so far and it's disappointing to see him not be effective in a big game like that but the constant witch hunt is crazy. It's gotten to the stage where people are actively looking to point out every little mistake he makes whilst simultaneously ignoring anything good he does. (he also had good games against Galatasaray and Spurs)

And you've said it yourself, and everyone has, but he needs to be put back as no. 10 and not put on the wing. I don't see what Wenger has against doing that and then just rotating all of the midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

dorgasm wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt but lol.
    Chelsea - would struggle to make a Mourinho squad (see Mata)
    Utd - have enough attacking options in midfield and harder workers
    City - would not replace Silva and Milner provides more to this City team than Ozil would form the wing

Sorry to be blunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Chelsea - would struggle to make a Mourinho squad (see Mata)

José Mourinho, who coached Özil for a time at Real Madrid said, "Ozil is unique. There is no copy of him – not even a bad copy." Mourinho also stated that, "He [Özil] is the best number 10 in the world. Everyone loves him and sees a bit of Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane in him."

• Advertisement

Fooker wrote: »
    José Mourinho, who coached Özil for a time at Real Madrid said, "Ozil is unique. There is no copy of him – not even a bad copy." Mourinho also stated that, "He [Özil] is the best number 10 in the world. Everyone loves him and sees a bit of Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane in him."

Its crazy how Mourinho sees something in Ozil. You would think Ozil would drive the likes of him nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Please, no need to be so blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Booooooommmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I wish we see more of what Mourinho see's, im starting to loose patience with him, i think he needs to be dropped until he gets his fitness, or what ever it is up with him, up. Ox has looked a lot more dangerous when he's played, he should be starting ahead of him on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wish we see more of what Mourinho see's, im starting to loose patience with him, i think he needs to be dropped until he gets his fitness, or what ever it is up with him, up. Ox has looked a lot more dangerous when he's played, he should be starting ahead of him on current form.

I agree about Ozil although I'm strongly in the camp of play him as a number 10 or not at all. Its no coincidence he got MOTM against Villa playing in his preferred role.

As for Ox for me he has been a huge disappointment I really thought after Walcotts injury he would and should step up, he has massive potential and he is still young but he hasnt really progressed at all since he's joined us.

Shows flashes of what he's capable off but is far to inconsistent to be starting week in week out. Hes usually at his best when used as an impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I agree about Ozil although I'm strongly in the camp of play him as a number 10 or not at all. Its no coincidence he got MOTM against Villa playing in his preferred role.

As for Ox for me he has been a huge disappointment I really thought after Walcotts injury he would and should step up, he has massive potential and he is still young but he hasnt really progressed at all since he's joined us.

Shows flashes of what he's capable off but is far to inconsistent to be starting week in week out. Hes usually at his best when used as an impact sub.

I agree, he does look a lot better coming on from the bench compared to the games he started this season, but i think he needs more game time for us to allow that progression, i dont think he's been given enough of a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ozil is given free reign to roam and should be doing more than what he has been whether or not he is picked as no 10. I worry that his best performance came against a team debilitated by a virus which had them dropping like flies.

Much more worried about Ozil's performance than Ox who has been showing a lot more of what he is capable of with a lot less game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Genuine question here lads..

If Mourinho was manager of Arsenal this season, same players, would we be more of a force in the league?

fulmer1984 wrote: »

If Mourinho was manager of Arsenal this season, same players, would we be more of a force in the league?

Hate to say it because I despise Mourinho but I think so yes.

We keep seeing the same failings time and time again and that has to fall on the manager.

We do have a strong starting 11 now in all areas bar DM imo.

greendom wrote: »
    Ozil is given free reign to roam and should be doing more than what he has been whether or not he is picked as no 10. I worry that his best performance came against a team debilitated by a virus which had them dropping like flies.

Much more worried about Ozil's performance than Ox who has been showing a lot more of what he is capable of with a lot less game time.

I'm not excusing his performance the weekend he should have been subsituted no doubt. Himself and Ramsey have been let off the hook far to easily by Wenger this season.

But I do just feel if we want to see the best from Ozil play him in his best position it sounds so simple yet somehow at Arsenal it isn't . Why by one of the worlds best no10 and play him on the wing the mind boggles.

Ox I think will come good but has he done enough for me to be in the starting eleven week in week out I dont think so not yet anyway he does seem to have stalled a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yes, because for all his failings as a person (and there are MANY) he knows how to address the deficiencies in his team. Wenger seems to be unable to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

hard to say.

I'd never want him anywhere near the club though. Ever.
    no matter what.

I'd take Mourinho in the morning.
    Always has his teams set out properly with each knowing his job.
    Always tactically astute.
    Goes out and gets whatever player he needs straight away, no dilly dallying.
    Not afraid to take a player off or change if things are not going right.
    Always speaks his mind.
    Knows how to wind up other managers too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah Mourinho's great, providing he has an owner whose money he can spend without restraint.

Would he have managed what Arsene did at Arsenal over the last 9 - 10 years ?No - he would have gone off to find a wealthier chairman. If some miracle prevented him from leaving the club, I very much doubt he would have kept Arsenal top 4 with the same financial restraints that Wenger had to work under.

greendom wrote: »
    Yeah Mourinho's great, providing he has an owner whose money he can spend without restraint.

Would he have managed what Arsene did at Arsenal over the last 9 - 10 years ?No - he would have gone off to find a wealthier chairman. If some miracle prevented him from leaving the club, I very much doubt he would have kept Arsenal top 4 with the same financial restraints that Wenger had to work under.

We don't know.
    He might actually have won something.
    I doubt Kronke would have got it easy with him too. Might have had to open the purse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement