Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

To be fair Soups it was quite difficult to read that post :pac:
    it spewed on me somewhere along the way I'm a little bit better at spacing and font than that post gives me credit for :)

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Have a look at those stats again - imagine what we can do now the financial restraints begin to loosen!

When's that gonna be?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

When's that gonna be?

Wednesday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Wednesday ;)

Pity it wasn't tomorrow as we're playing tomorrow.:D

try again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Quick delete that before you look stupid :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quick delete that before you look stupid :pac:

Gibbs (and Monrael out) doubtful too. If Gibbs can't play then Flamini goes LB and we have no recognised DM.
    Snreiderling probably out for them though.

Gibbs (and Monrael out) doubtful too. If Gibbs can't play then Flamini goes LB and we have no recognised DM.

**** sake, Verm would of been handy to have LB. I guess Flamini or Coquelin will be LB. If Flamini plays LB i can see Coq or ox or maybe even Chambers holding.

EDIT: Coq is on loan.

So maybe

Bell--Mert-Kosc-Flam

Chambers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soups123 wrote: »
    This place is hard reading at the minute, those not supporting Wenger are being called out for stats, proof and in mass being accused of not appreciating what Arsene has done for this club. Demand whatever stats and proof you need but aside from all that our team is performing poorly at a very worrying level. Injuries aside the same issues are being repeated year on year be it transfer, tactics, fitness and player confidence. As for the holding up the building of a stadium as a defence, of course it is and it excuses Arsenal not winning the PL/CL in that time, it doesn’t excuse the lack of trophy accumulation from cups though or the shockingly poor record against big teams or the continuous closing of windows without key areas being strengthened.

Those on the ‘would like to see change’ side, would like to see that, have we reached new level of frustrations? Of Course, has that resulted in more exaggerated posts? Of course it has, I think the era you began to follow Arsenal plays a part, those who think he transformed the club are right, those who think he is bigger than the club are wrong. I think those that came on mid Arsene era are confused by what they support I support Arsenal and only Arsenal not Arsene and not individual players. Coaches,managers and players come and go this club has been huge before and will be after and as fans we should all want to see that at whatever expense

Its hot topic at the minute and it should be discussed but each side trying to convince the other that they are on the wrong side of thinking just won’t happen, so don’t take it personal when people disagree or challenge your point because when things come good the fan base unit again

Wenger has forever got my respect, that will remain when all is said and done he can stay or go whichever of the two it is as long as we aresuccessful
    Surely if someone comes out and makes a bold statement, it's fair enough to be asked to back it up. And if they're plain wrong that needs to be highlighted too, no ?

• Advertisement

**** sake, Verm would of been handy to have LB. I guess Flamini or Coquelin will be LB. If Flamini plays LB i can see Coq or ox or maybe even Chambers holding.

EDIT: Coq is on loan.

So maybe

Bell--Mert-Kosc-Flam

Chambers

Coquelin is plying his trade in League 1 somewhere, Brentford or Charlton I think.

Desperately short at the back. Hopefully Gibbs makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wouldnt really matter if we'd held on to Vermaelen, he's crocked.

Hope you don't have to do shirt lettering for players at St Mary's :D

greendom wrote: »
    Surely if someone comes out and makes a bold statement, it's fair enough to be asked to back it up. And if they're plain wrong that needs to be highlighted too, no ?

Maybe but lets be honest stats can be turned any which way to support an argument, e.g. draw 10 games in a row, positive outlook will say unbeaten in 10 negative will say havent won in 10. Two very different pictures.

The point is take stats a side and go with opiniated discussion its a better judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ox a doubt too.

Jesus these injuries make me angry inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Bellerin is two footed apparently, could play on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bellerin played left wing back alot on his loan at Watford last season so we will be ok

Bellerin played left wing back alot on his loan at Watford last season so we will be ok

LINK! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Irish Aris wrote: »
    really? why don't you enlighten us so?
    Let's start with the basics? How many league title have we won in the (say) 30 years before Wenger?

If our rivals in terms of English League titles (everyone knows who they are & I don't mean Chelsea either!) count pre WWI title triumphs then Arsenal are more than entitled to claim the 1930's onwards.

Seems that Arsenal were the most successful English League club in the 20th century, that would satisfy most football supporters definition of a "massive club" Wenger has just arrived, so the club was massive enough before his tenure! :pac:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-how-consistency-and-caution-made-arsenal-englands-greatest-team-of-the-20th-century-1133020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The one euro setanta sub is back for December, they're showing the Southampton, Stoke and qpr games this month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If our rivals in terms of English League titles (everyone knows who they are & I don't mean Chelsea either!) count pre WWI title triumphs then Arsenal are more than entitled to claim the 1930's onwards.

Seems that Arsenal were the most successful English League club in the 20th century, that would satisfy most football supporters definition of a "massive club" Wenger has just arrived, so the club was massive enough before his tenure! :pac:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-how-consistency-and-caution-made-arsenal-englands-greatest-team-of-the-20th-century-1133020.html

That's based on an average premiership position of 8.5 and discounts actual trophies won.

So taking that metric, we're actually twice as good under Wenger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If that's how you want to measure success than I don't see why you would be complaining of Wenger. If having the highest average finish is your way of defining success than that's your issue (other clubs have been relegated which i presume is what has arsenal and everton so high.) United and Liverpool were bigger clubs in the 20th century before Wenger than Arsenal. It wasnt even close, they were far bigger. Trophies is the only measurement that should matter. Unless you want to claim everton are the 3rd biggest club in England?

Schneiderlin out for Wed.

Would be nice if Gibbs or Monreal could make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

just bought tickets to the match tomorrow even though i said i would never waste money on arsenal again until they improve.

im just a sucker for my own club that i love and care so much.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    If that's how you want to measure success than I don't see why you would be complaining of Wenger. If having the highest average finish is your way of defining success than that's your issue (other clubs have been relegated which i presume is what has arsenal and everton so high.) United and Liverpool were bigger clubs in the 20th century before Wenger than Arsenal. It wasnt even close, they were far bigger. Trophies is the only measurement that should matter. Unless you want to claim everton are the 3rd biggest club in England?

I was making the point that Arsenal are in the top 3 clubs in England on trophies won historically & were therefore a big club club BEFORE Wenger arrived Something that some Wenger advocates refuse to acknowledge.

As for that 20th century league table, to win it you have to be the best team over the given time period, perhaps if Liverpool & United hadn't spent as long in the 2nd division they could have won it. :D Hence Everton doing well. :rolleyes: Everton were a big club before the PL era IMO.

The question for the future, assuming that Arsenal are the 3rd biggest club in England, how long they can maintain that place. I really can't see another league title or CL heading our way soon. The same question could be raised regards Liverpool's future with 20 odd years since a league title.

With Man City & Chelsea picking up cups & titles most seasons, for the foreseeable future, it appears that Arsenal's traditional 3rd place will be coming under sustained pressure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

1375806_354289834716555_1270477835_n.jpg?oh=a1a080cbfb02e97686f5ac224b1f73d4&oe=54FF3D4C

I was making the point that Arsenal are in the top 3 clubs in England on trophies won historically & were therefore a big club club BEFORE Wenger arrived Something that some Wenger advocates refuse to acknowledge.

As for that 20th century league table, to win it you have to be the best team over the given time period, perhaps if Liverpool & United hadn't spent as long in the 2nd division they could have won it. :D Hence Everton doing well. :rolleyes: Everton were a big club before the PL era IMO.

The question for the future, assuming that Arsenal are the 3rd biggest club in England, how long they can maintain that place. I really can't see another league title or CL heading our way soon. The same question could be raised regards Liverpool's future with 20 odd years since a league title.

With Man City & Chelsea picking up cups & titles most seasons, for the foreseeable future, it appears that Arsenal's traditional 3rd place will be coming under sustained pressure!

There's just so much wrong with that argument.

Starting with the fact that if avg of 8.5 position is big, we're massive now.

wonga77 wrote: »
    1375806_354289834716555_1270477835_n.jpg?oh=a1a080cbfb02e97686f5ac224b1f73d4&oe=54FF3D4C

old but cool pic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

According to Twitter the ox and Monreal will be ok for tomorrow

That's good - any mention of Gibbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I know it was probably said the last time, but my god the man has style, I've found a new style rolemodel.

according to jonneymendoza's household, Jonneymendoza will be available and positioned on the east stand tomorrow :)

according to jonneymendoza's household, Jonneymendoza will be available and positioned on the east stand tomorrow :)

and the crowd rejoiced !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I know it was probably said the last time, but my god the man has style, I've found a new style rolemodel.

I've never seen anyone pull off Tan pants and a Tan jacket.. But he does!

If i tried it i'd look like this :pac: - 555131913_632.jpg

gosplan wrote: »
    There's just so much wrong with that argument.

Starting with the fact that if avg of 8.5 position is big, we're massive now.

Thats called being top overall in a 100 year period minus world wars, where the the difference between success & relative failure had a wider margin with even big clubs being promoted & relegated .

Before the PL era big clubs often did get relegated (I can remember two in particular! :D) & went through long periods without wining cups & leagues, for most of that time there was only two major trophies to win. :eek: And many more different clubs actually won league titles & FA Cups!

Arsenal are still the 3rd club in England, which they were before the PL era & later under Wenger, that position is still the same, so nothing has changed.

Thats called being top overall in a 100 year period minus world wars, where the the difference between success & relative failure had a wider margin with even big clubs being promoted & relegated .

Before the PL era big clubs often did get relegated (I can remember two in particular! :D) & went through long periods without wining cups & leagues, for most of that time there was only two major trophies to win. :eek: And many more different clubs actually won league titles & FA Cups!

Arsenal are still the 3rd club in England, which they were before the PL era & later under Wenger, that position is still the same, so nothing has changed.

I've tried a few times panda to follow your point and I can safely say I am lost!

I've tried a few times panda to follow your point and I can safely say I am lost!
    I think what he's basically saying is we were the most consistent team of the 20thCentury, not the most successful but most consistent.

The same as now, we're consistently good, very rarely great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

we can end the pissing contest about who can go higher on the bicycle shed wall.... Aldi have decided it for us, Arsenal are not the massive club we all think we are ... :p

Show your support with this great gift set. Includes 4" Miniball, 500ml Water Bottle and Wristband. Choose from Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-30-november/products-detail-page/ps/p/licensed-football-club-gift-set/

we can end the pissing contest about who can go higher on the bicycle shed wall.... Aldi have decided it for us, Arsenal are not the massive club we all think we are ... :p

Show your support with this great gift set. Includes 4" Miniball, 500ml Water Bottle and Wristband. Choose from Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-30-november/products-detail-page/ps/p/licensed-football-club-gift-set/

What a shower of runts considering we bought many our players from there basket over the last 10 years

• Advertisement

What a shower of runts considering we bought many our players from there basket over the last 10 years

Well, if it's good enough for the Germans...

Yes, nothing has changed

He's actually then exactly as good as your average Arsenal manager over the previous 100 years.

Can you really bit see the flaws in your logic?

Do you think that finishing 8/9th last century is the same achievement as finishing 3rd this century?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Nice surprise in the post today, got my membership pack, there is a cracking little booklet in it of our FA Cup run and all the teams we defeated on our way to glory, fantastically done I must say.

Did you get the hat Gringo?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Did you get the hat Gringo?

Yes the red and white striped one. Lovely hat, thats getting kept up for when I go over in Jan :D Did you get your pack out? I got 3 lovely pendants of our 3 jerseys this year, very impressed.

that hat is ridiculous, the little badges are deadly tho

• Advertisement

I think its quality, its the fashion these days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Yes the red and white striped one. Lovely hat, thats getting kept up for when I go over in Jan :D Did you get your pack out? I got 3 lovely pendants of our 3 jerseys this year, very impressed.

I've not received mine yet, looking forward to it. Still rocking last year's scarf

gosplan wrote: »
    Yes, nothing has changed

Do you think that finishing 8/9th last century is the same achievement as finishing 3rd this century?

Manchester City & Chelsea actually finished 8/9th in that 20th century league table :D

Arsenal finished first.

As this century progresses the eventual winning club would very probably have a lower overall average league position over the 21st century compared to the first 14 seasons so far.

The eventual winner probably would get a higher average score compared to the 20th century which had 23 different clubs winning titles.

Anyway I won't be around to witness the result :cool:

Where's Wally!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement