Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

K4t wrote: »
    Chelsea - would struggle to make a Mourinho squad (see Mata)
    Utd - have enough attacking options in midfield and harder workers
    City - would not replace Silva and Milner provides more to this City team than Ozil would form the wing

Sorry to be blunt.

Southampton? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »
    Yeah Mourinho's great, providing he has an owner whose money he can spend without restraint.

Would he have managed what Arsene did at Arsenal over the last 9 - 10 years ?No - he would have gone off to find a wealthier chairman. If some miracle prevented him from leaving the club, I very much doubt he would have kept Arsenal top 4 with the same financial restraints that Wenger had to work under.

Probably right he wouldnt have managed what Arsene did over the last 10 years many wouldnt, but can Wenger deliver what Jose would if he had the money I'm not so sure.

The question is now, in this moment in our time with our resources would Jose do a better job? Yes. And I hate the guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeah Mourinho's great, providing he has an owner whose money he can spend without restraint.

Would he have managed what Arsene did at Arsenal over the last 9 - 10 years ?No - he would have gone off to find a wealthier chairman. If some miracle prevented him from leaving the club, I very much doubt he would have kept Arsenal top 4 with the same financial restraints that Wenger had to work under.

That's all well and good but the financial restraints excuse can no longer be rolled out.

Huge sums of money have been spent and that should be translating into better performances on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mourinho has never really had success without spending huge amounts of money in order to accomplish it.

-The clubs he’s been at are all clubs expected to win the leagues, winning them is no real shock.

- The signings made by Mourinho have always been an extraordinarily high outlay.

Let’s start by looking at Benfica, Mourinho took his first steps into management with 9 games at Benfica, he got 5 wins from 9, but lost twice, and left after a dispute with the high ups at the club - and it wouldn't be the last time.

He then ended up at Uniao Leiria where he took charge for the last 7 games of their season, securing their highest spot ever of 5th, a position that they already occupied prior to his arrival so he can't really take the credit for that despite various sources claiming it was all his work.

In his second season he kept the team solidly in 3rd where he attracted the attention of Porto.

Up to this point in his career Mourinho had show promise, that cannot be denied, but from this moment onwards his career would spiral and spending for success would be the norm.

He joined Porto who were in fifth spot and he promised that they would win the league. In his first full season in charge Mourinho spent approximately £10 million despite having a strong squad anyway.

This would become his calling card, taking top squads and spending large sums of money on them, in his second season he spent nearly £10 million again and this time won the Champions League, and that’s when Mourinho started one of his seconds traits.

Mourinho will take a club to its highest high and leave, knowing he cannot again take them to those heights, and if he fails during a season he gives up and leaves.

Following his Champions League win with Porto he left for Chelsea and became one of the highest paid football managers of all time with a Salary of £4.2 million, this is where the nickname the Special One originated, during an interview with him saying: "Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one."

Mourinho started his career at Chelsea by spending £140 million on 10 players; players if anything they didn’t desperately need at an average of £14 Million per player.

Mourinho managed to do the double and in doing so setting a series of Premier League records as they did.

In his second season he spent £80 million, that’s £80 million on the reigning champions, the reigning champions who lost none of their first team players, again they won the league. Was Mourinho the 'Special One' he declared himself to be?

His third year Mourinho spent another £80 million but this year missed out on the trophy and that was it. After spending nearly £300 million on players in total the league couldn’t be won, and Mourinho packed his bags in late September to take over Inter Milan.

He realised he couldn’t win the league and was out of the Bridge like a shot once the Internazionale job came up.

In his first season he spent £50 million to try and strengthen the squad and despite winning the league fell short of the expectations that came with it, so Mourinho spent £83 million on a squad that again really needed no improvement.

Mourinho won the Champions League with Inter thus fulfilling the duty he was brought in for, much to everyone’s delight, not much mention of the £120 million though; so what next for the special one?

One of the richest clubs in the world of course. Real Madrid came knocking and thus started one of the biggest rivalries in recent generations.

The summer of 2010 Mourinho took the reins at Real Madrid, one of the richest teams in the world, a team that a year previously had spent £225 million on getting some of the best players in the world.

Yet Jose still felt necessary to spend £82 million - much the same in 2011 when Mourinho spent £43 million and just managed to pip Barcelona to the La Liga Title. Finally after two years and £125 million, again he’d done what he was brought in to do.

But again no-one seemed to care about the millions he had spent doing so. The ‘Special One ‘ had now spent nearly half a billion to achieve what he had, yet was still heralded as a great manager.

Mourinho spent one final season at Real and having only spent £29 million seemed to be destined for England once more, and that he was it for his La Liga Career.

Mourinho’s dream of managing Manchester United didn’t come off though and he ended up back at the Bridge.

And here we are, less than 48 hours after Mourinho has completed the signing of Nemanja Matic, A player sold for under £4 million bought back at £22 Million, bringing the total spending of Chelsea this window to £88.5 million and pushing Mourinho’s total spending as a manager to £562.5 million.

This article isn’t to question Mourinho’s abilities as a man manager, something he is surely very good at, but it’s to raise the question, "How come no-one has questioned him for spending so much?"

Of course to maintain the stature of some of the biggest clubs in the world money has to be spent, but since taking over at Arsenal in 1996 Arsene Wenger has spent only £430,850,000 but through diligent spending and purchasing only actually lost £13,800,000 in that time – whilst also winning the Premier League 3 times and the FA Cup 4 times.

The man is clearly not a bad football manager but when we talk to the best players we always level them with one question, ‘Could they do it on a cold wet night in stoke?’

Source:GMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soups123 wrote: »
    Probably right he wouldnt have managed what Arsene did over the last 10 years many wouldnt, but can Wenger deliver what Jose would if he had the money I'm not so sure.

The question is now, in this moment in our time with our resources would Jose do a better job? Yes. And I hate the guy

As much as I want to, I can't really disagree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Nope I wouldn't like that Eye gouger at Arsenal...As much as Wenger is stubborn and has many deficiencies he is still class above the rest. Above all he is not a cheque book manager.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Mourinho has never really had success without spending huge amounts of money in order to accomplish it.

-The clubs he’s been at are all clubs expected to win the leagues, winning them is no real shock.

- The signings made by Mourinho have always been an extraordinarily high outlay.

Let’s start by looking at Benfica, Mourinho took his first steps into management with 9 games at Benfica, he got 5 wins from 9, but lost twice, and left after a dispute with the high ups at the club - and it wouldn't be the last time.

He then ended up at Uniao Leiria where he took charge for the last 7 games of their season, securing their highest spot ever of 5th, a position that they already occupied prior to his arrival so he can't really take the credit for that despite various sources claiming it was all his work.

In his second season he kept the team solidly in 3rd where he attracted the attention of Porto.

Up to this point in his career Mourinho had show promise, that cannot be denied, but from this moment onwards his career would spiral and spending for success would be the norm.

He joined Porto who were in fifth spot and he promised that they would win the league. In his first full season in charge Mourinho spent approximately £10 million despite having a strong squad anyway.

This would become his calling card, taking top squads and spending large sums of money on them, in his second season he spent nearly £10 million again and this time won the Champions League, and that’s when Mourinho started one of his seconds traits.

Mourinho will take a club to its highest high and leave, knowing he cannot again take them to those heights, and if he fails during a season he gives up and leaves.

Following his Champions League win with Porto he left for Chelsea and became one of the highest paid football managers of all time with a Salary of £4.2 million, this is where the nickname the Special One originated, during an interview with him saying: "Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one."

Mourinho started his career at Chelsea by spending £140 million on 10 players; players if anything they didn’t desperately need at an average of £14 Million per player.

Mourinho managed to do the double and in doing so setting a series of Premier League records as they did.

In his second season he spent £80 million, that’s £80 million on the reigning champions, the reigning champions who lost none of their first team players, again they won the league. Was Mourinho the 'Special One' he declared himself to be?

His third year Mourinho spent another £80 million but this year missed out on the trophy and that was it. After spending nearly £300 million on players in total the league couldn’t be won, and Mourinho packed his bags in late September to take over Inter Milan.

He realised he couldn’t win the league and was out of the Bridge like a shot once the Internazionale job came up.

In his first season he spent £50 million to try and strengthen the squad and despite winning the league fell short of the expectations that came with it, so Mourinho spent £83 million on a squad that again really needed no improvement.

Mourinho won the Champions League with Inter thus fulfilling the duty he was brought in for, much to everyone’s delight, not much mention of the £120 million though; so what next for the special one?

One of the richest clubs in the world of course. Real Madrid came knocking and thus started one of the biggest rivalries in recent generations.

The summer of 2010 Mourinho took the reins at Real Madrid, one of the richest teams in the world, a team that a year previously had spent £225 million on getting some of the best players in the world.

Yet Jose still felt necessary to spend £82 million - much the same in 2011 when Mourinho spent £43 million and just managed to pip Barcelona to the La Liga Title. Finally after two years and £125 million, again he’d done what he was brought in to do.

But again no-one seemed to care about the millions he had spent doing so. The ‘Special One ‘ had now spent nearly half a billion to achieve what he had, yet was still heralded as a great manager.

Mourinho spent one final season at Real and having only spent £29 million seemed to be destined for England once more, and that he was it for his La Liga Career.

Mourinho’s dream of managing Manchester United didn’t come off though and he ended up back at the Bridge.

And here we are, less than 48 hours after Mourinho has completed the signing of Nemanja Matic, A player sold for under £4 million bought back at £22 Million, bringing the total spending of Chelsea this window to £88.5 million and pushing Mourinho’s total spending as a manager to £562.5 million.

This article isn’t to question Mourinho’s abilities as a man manager, something he is surely very good at, but it’s to raise the question, "How come no-one has questioned him for spending so much?"

Of course to maintain the stature of some of the biggest clubs in the world money has to be spent, but since taking over at Arsenal in 1996 Arsene Wenger has spent only £430,850,000 but through diligent spending and purchasing only actually lost £13,800,000 in that time – whilst also winning the Premier League 3 times and the FA Cup 4 times.

The man is clearly not a bad football manager but when we talk to the best players we always level them with one question, ‘Could they do it on a cold wet night in stoke?’

I good read but I think you undermine and undervalue his achievements, the deserves more credit than you give.

This is a guy that has spent money but he has matched that with success, plenty of others have tried and failed miserably

Nope I wouldn't like that Eye gouger at Arsenal...As much as Wenger is stubborn and has many deficiencies he is still class above the rest. Above all he is not a cheque book manager.

Sanchez and Ozil might disagree with you on that one.

Our biggest problem yea were now signing players but only ones that become available were not targeting players or areas of the pitch that need adjusting.

Were signing players then trying to show horn them into our team without addressing key areas.

Right now half the time our own players look like they haven't a clue were there meant to be or what there meant to be doing on the pitch.

Chelsea had weaknesses saw them and addressed them by actively targeting players they needed not just waiting until top class became available whether they needed them or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The difference between us now and the likes of Chelsea & City is that while we are spending now to improve our squad, it's generally going to be one top class player a season alongside potential and squad players. When they want to spend money they wouldn't bat an eyelid at signing 3-5 top class players. I don't think we're far off being genuine contenders, but it takes time to build the squad to do so and remain within FFP regulations. We're definitely moving in the right direction at the moment anyway, signing top class players while keeping the majority of our squad together.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    The difference between us now and the likes of Chelsea & City is that while we are spending now to improve our squad, it's generally going to be one top class player a season alongside potential and squad players. When they want to spend money they wouldn't bat an eyelid at signing 3-5 top class players. I don't think we're far off being genuine contenders, but it takes time to build the squad to do so and remain within FFP regulations. We're definitely moving in the right direction at the moment anyway, signing top class players while keeping the majority of our squad together.

Once again a point a lot of people seem to miss is Chelsea are within FFP with quite similar revenues.

We can't keep playing the money card anymore.

Sanchez and Ozil might disagree with you on that one.

Our biggest problem yea were now signing players but only ones that become available were not targeting players or areas of the pitch that need adjusting.

Were signing players then trying to show horn them into our team without addressing key areas.

Right now half the time our own players look like they haven't a clue were there meant to be or what there meant to be doing on the pitch.

Chelsea had weaknesses saw them and addressed them by actively targeting players they needed not just waiting until top class became available whether they needed them or not.

Sanchez and Ozil our biggest buys in a decade at reasonable price compared to the going rate... if he was a cheque book manager i'm sure he would have thrown 30+ mil sporting were looking for Carvalho or many a players we're linked to.

A cheque book manager can buy who ever he wants by throwing money at them...but a value manager has to wait until a player is available.

Once again a point a lot of people seem to miss is Chelsea are within FFP with quite similar revenues.

Ah Marty come on, Chelsea are much better positioned than us revenue wise, there are ways around FFP.

But the other point he made is that Chelsea have been spending it and building over time, with us being FFP compliant it will take time to catch up.

FFP is a load of my ass and was designed to protect the biggest clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Sanchez and Ozil our biggest buys in a decade at reasonable price compared to the going rate... if he was a cheque book manager i'm sure he would have thrown 30+ mil sporting were looking for Carvalho or many a players we're linked to.

A cheque book manager can buy who ever he wants by throwing money at them...but a value manager has to wait until a player is available.

Wouldn't that be something to see...

So how much were Matic, Costa? Not a whole lot more than Sanchez and Ozil.

You keep forgetting, we're only there bcoz we've been prudent in the last decade...If we had bought like Chelsea did we would have gone out of business...

Chelsea had a continuous investment over the last 10 years, We've only started this from last year.

• Advertisement

Ah Marty come on, Chelsea are much better positioned than us revenue wise, there are ways around FFP.

But the other point he made is that Chelsea have been spending it and building over time, with us being FFP compliant it will take time to catch up.

FFP is a load of my ass and was designed to protect the biggest clubs.

Ok I'll put it this way now I was delighted with Sanchez and Ozil still am but let's say we had signed Matic and Costa our two weakest areas would we not be a better team now and a more productive way of spending our money?

I'm just tired of people using the money excuse when we have turned a corner our wage bill is massive ten million behind Chelsea and we've spent big on players.

Plus it's not our only issue as a team we look all over the place regardless of who plays.

So how much were Matic, Costa? Not a whole lot more than Sanchez and Ozil.

that's the difference Chelsea's/Citeh/United could go and buy a whole lot of players in one window...but Arsenal couldn't do that...Ozil last year...Sanchez this year...

that's the difference Chelsea's/Citeh/United could go and buy a whole lot of players in one window...but Arsenal couldn't do that...Ozil last year...Sanchez this year...

We spent over 60 million this window and were led to believe there was more available.

We spent over 60 million this window and were led to believe there was more available.

That's the thing We've money but we can't throw it around we've to be prudent with it, where as Chelsea can throw 50 mil on a player and then flog him on loan for peanuts if it doesn't work...

Also Cash in hand/Reserves doesn't always mean it's available to spend...it's there to meet contingencies/liabilities etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

That's the thing We've money but we can't throw it around we've to be prudent with it, where as Chelsea can throw 50 mil on a player and then flog him on loan for peanuts if it doesn't work...

Also Cash in hand/Reserves doesn't always mean it's available to spend...it's there to meet contingencies/liabilities etc....

Abramovic throws around the cash, we have Usmanov wanting to do it, but cant, instead we have that Kroenke muppet as highest share holder.

• Advertisement

You keep forgetting, we're only there bcoz we've been prudent in the last decade...If we had bought like Chelsea did we would have gone out of business...

Chelsea had a continuous investment over the last 10 years, We've only started this from last year.

Also is this Chelsea team in anyway similar to the one today? So that has no relevance.

If we had addressed our weak areas like Chelsea have in the last two seasons we would be a much stronger outfit.

Also is this Chelsea team in anyway similar to the one today? So that has no relevance.

If we had addressed our weak areas like Chelsea have in the last two seasons we would be a much stronger outfit.

It is relevant, they have been accumulating those players, Only now they're complete and this is their strongest team in the last 4 years...they could buy Hazard brothers but we've to content with Gervinho...they could buy Willian/Schurrler and we've to content with Podolski (I like him but he is past his prime)...

At the end of the day we're only getting there now...but in saying that we definitely have a good squad which should be competing and making life hard for Chelsea/Citeh n others.

Ok I'll put it this way now I was delighted with Sanchez and Ozil still am but let's say we had signed Matic and Costa our two weakest areas would we not be a better team now and a more productive way of spending our money?

I'm just tired of people using the money excuse when we have turned a corner our wage bill is massive ten million behind Chelsea and we've spent big on players.

Plus it's not our only issue as a team we look all over the place regardless of who plays.

Thats a fair point and comes back to Wenger spending based on who is the best available on the known market than identifying a target regardless of availability and pursuing it. I still don't believe the funds are available as we are led to believe though

I think the club pull the wool over our eyes here or if its true and Arsene didnt spend it then he can go f***

Thats a fair point and comes back to Wenger spending based on who is the best available on the known market than identifying a target regardless of availability and pursuing it. I still don't believe the funds are available as we are led to believe though

I think the club pull the wool over our eyes here or if its true and Arsene didnt spend it then he can go f***

Hard to say really we all know Welbeck was an opportunistic signing based on availability and Giroud getting injured.

But was it a case of Wenger deciding to splash the cash or the board releasing more funds in panic mode?

But one thing we can all agree is that it should never have come to that and that has to be on Wenger? Since he had splashed the cash on other areas beforehand.

I just don't think we can play the paupers anymore as much as we like to we have spent big and have a good squad can't keep using that excuse.

Hard to say really we all know Welbeck was an opportunistic signing based on availability and Giroud getting injured.

But was it a case of Wenger deciding to splash the cash or the board releasing more funds in panic mode?

But one thing we can all agree is that it should never have come to that and that has to be on Wenger? Since he had splashed the cash on other areas beforehand.

I just don't think we can play the paupers anymore as much as we like to we have spent big and have a good squad can't keep using that excuse.

yes we have moved up a level and you're right the pauper arguement doesn't wash any more. Wenger has always been relatively cautious in the transfer market and will never make wholesale changes over the course of 1 window.

He remarked on Spurs spending last season, that too many new faces is not good for the squad. Liverpool appear to have fallen into the same trap this season.

yes we have moved up a level and you're right the pauper arguement doesn't wash any more. Wenger has always been relatively cautious in the transfer market and will never make wholesale changes over the course of 1 window.

He remarked on Spurs spending last season, that too many new faces is not good for the squad. Liverpool appear to have fallen into the same trap this season.

And I'd agree with that to many new faces is never good.

But lets just say we didn't sign Sanchez and stuck with what we have in the position he is filling until next year it's not our weakest and instead bought a top class CF and Welbeck money gone towards a top class DM.

That would have made for a far more sensible and practical transfer window and left us in a stronger position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mourinho saw what he had when he returned to Chelsea.
    He got rid of what he didn't want and bought what he needed.
    We didn't.
    As a result Mourinho is sitting top of the pile and we're not.
    Mourinho did it early and quietly while we seem to tell everyone who we're after and as a result the price rises e.g. Higuain last year.
    Nobody could fault Mourinho's decision to go for Matic, Costa and Cesc and boy have they settled in early too. He plays them in their best positions too.
    We didn't buy the player we needed most i.e. a DM.

It's not just cheque book signings either. He knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mourinho saw what he had when he returned to Chelsea.
    He got rid of what he didn't want and bought what he needed.
    We didn't.
    As a result Mourinho is sitting top of the pile and we're not.
    Mourinho did it early and quietly while we seem to tell everyone who we're after and as a result the price rises e.g. Higuain last year.
    Nobody could fault Mourinho's decision to go for Matic, Costa and Cesc and boy have they settled in early too. He plays them in their best positions too.
    We didn't buy the player we needed most i.e. a DM.

It's not just cheque book signings either. He knows his stuff.

Yet some people here will argue a DM wasnt a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think some might argue it's less of a priority than a forward or defender.....not that it isn't a priority. Everyone can see Arsenal's midfield is soft defensively.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I think some might argue it's less of a priority than a forward or defender.....not that it isn't a priority. Everyone can see Arsenal's midfield is soft defensively.

Agreed but it was the biggest priority for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

As frustrating as it is that we didn't sign a dm and are short of defensive cover, we can now make it to January with what we have and hopefully get somebody wc in Kheidra or Carv then, I have a feeling the January window will surprise many.

In terms of the Chelsea match I think what was absolutely essential was to avoid a psycologically scarring defeat to Chelsea again, which we achieved. Mentally, we can be strong moving forward now and be a bit more ballsier while also being aware when to close down. Wenger did show improvement from last years fixture by changing formation. That is to be commended.

We need to go on a run now,produce a string of wins and hopefully we will then start to ultimatelly click. With Walcott coming back, we can be unstoppable. I think you will begin to see the very best of what Wilshere, Ozil, Cazorla et al. have to offer between now and Christmas. I think the above four mentioned when they get going will be something else. Cazorla, Ozil and Wilshere have shown glimpses of it, what we now need is consistency. Flamini if he can maintain his discipline and repeat what he did against Chelsea against the lesser teams will be a powerful asset. Let's not give up hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Raf32 wrote: »

"From power and dominance to tidy softies."

This line sums it up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

When they were spending buckets loads of money and accumulating a ridiculous amount of world class established players we were losing the likes of Vieira, Henry, Fabregas, Hleb, etc and replacing them with 6- 10 million pound players like Gervinho, Santos, Eduardo, Adebayor and young players like Walcott and Ramsey. This is a long term work in progress and were very near to completion and having a squad that can match the likes of City and Chelsea, and this with spending only what we bring in. Our net spend is that of a mid table team, if anything I think Wenger has to be applauded as he has sacrificed his career for the long term benefit of the club.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    When they were spending buckets loads of money and accumulating a ridiculous amount of world class established players we were losing the likes of Vieira, Henry, Fabregas, Hleb, etc and replacing them with 6- 10 million pound players like Gervinho, Santos, Eduardo, Adebayor and young players like Walcott and Ramsey. This is a long term work in progress and were very near to completion and having a squad that can match the likes of City and Chelsea, and this with spending only what we bring in. Our net spend is that of a mid table team, if anything I think Wenger has to be applauded as he has sacrificed his career for the long term benefit of the club.

Give over.

Yes he's to be commended for keeping is relevant during the lean years.

The rest is nonsense we've been near to completion for years, plus once again we spent big this summer no major players have left in two seasons the club have moved on from that time, time some fans did to.

Sacrificed his career? So much fail he stayed in a steady stable job were he has virtually become unsackable to the tune of 7.5 million a year if that's sacrificing your career I'll take some please.

As frustrating as it is that we didn't sign a dm and are short of defensive cover, we can now make it to January with what we have and hopefully get somebody wc in Kheidra or Carv then, I have a feeling the January window will surprise many.

In terms of the Chelsea match I think what was absolutely essential was to avoid a psycologically scarring defeat to Chelsea again, which we achieved. Mentally, we can be strong moving forward now and be a bit more ballsier while also being aware when to close down. Wenger did show improvement from last years fixture by changing formation. That is to be commended.

We need to go on a run now,produce a string of wins and hopefully we will then start to ultimatelly click. With Walcott coming back, we can be unstoppable. I think you will begin to see the very best of what Wilshere, Ozil, Cazorla et al. have to offer between now and Christmas. I think the above four mentioned when they get going will be something else. Cazorla, Ozil and Wilshere have shown glimpses of it, what we now need is consistency. Flamini if he can maintain his discipline and repeat what he did against Chelsea against the lesser teams will be a powerful asset. Let's not give up hope.

I can't believe there is a gunner out there that still believes this, its always the next window that is going to be great.............

They should have made him a commercial manager/director a few years ago and gave someone else the job of managing the team and the money to do it.
    You cannot serve two masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Give over.

Yes he's to be commended for keeping is relevant during the lean years.

The rest is nonsense we've been near to completion for years, plus once again we spent big this summer no major players have left in two seasons the club have moved on from that time, time some fans did to.

Sacrificed his career? So much fail he stayed in a steady stable job were he has virtually become unsackable to the tune of 7.5 million a year if that's sacrificing your career I'll take some please.

sorry what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I can't believe there is a gunner out there that still believes this, its always the next window that is going to be great.............

If Real has the chance to cash in on Kheidra before he leaves on a free in the summer, I think it is likely we will sign him for January. We seem to be the most likely destination for him to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

QUOTE]

The only 2 world class attacking players we have in our squad have been signed this past year. There is progress being made, slowly but surely. Would you rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 players in 1 transfer window? Look how that has panned out for Utd and Spurs.

QUOTE]

The only 2 world class attacking players we have in our squad have been signed this past year. There is progress being made, slowly but surely. Would you rather us go out and sign 7 or 8 players in 1 transfer window? Look how that has panned out for Utd and Spurs.

Adding a WC DM to our shopping this summer was needed and wouldnt have rocked the boat.

Liverpool and Spurs signs were very much in the emerging player category with 1/2 exceptions

You have to believe, not much point otherwise. I believe that Carvhalo would have been signed but for the fact that he is not solely owned by Sporting.

I do know that Wenger seems to hate the January window, but it still may happen

The last window fell just short of great for me. Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Welbeck were all great signings individually. We could have done with a couple more and it seems that the club did try to get both a CB and a DM but for whatever reason, it didn't happen

You have to believe, not much point otherwise. I believe that Carvhalo would have been signed but for the fact that he is not solely owned by Sporting.

The last window fell just short of great for me. Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Welbeck were all great signings individually. We could have done with a couple more and it seems that the club did try to get both a CB and a DM but for whatever reason, it didn't happen

Not really acceptable at this level for me. Also people please learn how to quote!!! :D

I understand that, sure you have to hope to to be fair atleast the WC signings of the last two summers show what is possible.

The CB piece is the biggest issue I have, it was the simplest to fix even with a short term gap fill be we got absolutley nothings, that criminal in my book and lies 110% on Arsenes door.

Kos or Mert get injured on duty and we are then looking to kids

I understand that, sure you have to hope to to be fair atleast the WC signings of the last two summers show what is possible.

The CB piece is the biggest issue I have, it was the simplest to fix even with a short term gap fill be we got absolutley nothings, that criminal in my book and lies 110% on Arsenes door.

Kos or Mert get injured on duty and we are then looking to kids

+1, totally agree.

we've known Vermalaen was on the move for a while and even Sagna has been stalling...so there's no excuses for that....

on a side note Mert won't get injured as he has retired...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The CB issue is annoying because Kostas Manolas has started great for Roma, and by all accounts we did bid more money for him than Roma, but the player wanted guaranteed playing time.

We should have had more players in mind if that would didn't come through.

Not really acceptable at this level for me. Also people please learn how to quote!!! :D

as much as we'd want it not to, transfers fail for a number of reasons, as does quoting!

Hummels recently said if was going to move it would only be to a team that he likes the style of football they play, I don't know if that's good or bad for us but getting someone like him in and relegating Mert to the bench would be unbelievable, it would solve a lot of problems at the back and I'd be confident even with Flamini in front of them.

as much as we'd want it not to, transfers fail for a number of reasons, as does quoting!

Yes, when you mess up a quote give it an ole edit, when a transfer falls through try and make another one.

Hummels recently said if was going to move it would only be to a team that he likes the style of football they play, I don't know if that's good or bad for us but getting someone like him in and relegating Mert to the bench would be unbelievable, it would solve a lot of problems at the back and I'd be confident even with Flamini in front of them.

Flamini and Arteta are too slow.
    If we had to have a good DM last Sun then Hazard wouldn't have run through the middle unscathed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement