Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If any other team are three down to stoke at half time in the league this season I'll be shocked.

Wengers failure to bolster the defence and buy a centre half has ruined this season so far. It's so frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Looking at those goals again on motd, how embarrassing, what the fudge is bould doing at the club? 4 jumping for a header in the box? 1 tackle between the back four in the ninety minutes.
    I know we have injuries atm but that is disgraceful stuff from professional players

Also dissapointing that they didn't mention Charlie Adams attempt at "tackling" sanchez or chambers soft second yellow card

Also dissapointing that they didn't mention Charlie Adams attempt at "tackling" sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

wonga77 wrote: »
    Also dissapointing that they didn't mention Charlie Adams attempt at "tackling" sanchez

Are you really surprised at this stage? Don't you know Stoke are a "good physical British team", unlike the Johnny Foreigners in Arsenal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I didn't see it. Did they mention the soft penalty or the wrongly disallowed fourth goal?

No real mention of the penalty, said the 4th should have stood because it wasnt offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Sanchez should of nutted him.

He would be forced out of England through trial by media, but at least he would of went with a bit of class, what a man Charlie Adam is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gibbs attempts to block the two crosses for the goals were non-existent.
    He was only half-fit and shouldn't have been played.
    Stoke bossed every sector of the field in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

salmocab wrote: »
    Did gavredking visit here a few weeks ago and say he was worried about the Newcastle away game for chelsea or did I read that on another thread? Pretty sure it was him when there was some discussion going on about the invincibles, good reading of things if it was.

I did call it :o being saying it for weeks actually. Weve a terrible record up north, tyne side to be more precise. I expected us to lose, given our previous efforts, nov/dec slumps, newcastles good form and matic was out it was never gonna be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

This reminds me of this arsenal forum lately hahahahhaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I did call it :o being saying it for weeks actually. Weve a terrible record up north, tyne side to be more precise. I expected us to lose, given our previous efforts, nov/dec slumps, newcastles good form and matic was out it was never gonna be easy.

newcastle a bogey club then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

This is what being content with 4th place has finally led us to i said it on this thread well over a year ago and was blasted by many.
    finishing 4th is the boards and wengers way of keeping the fans happy so they can go on for another year.
    A new manager and complete rebuilding is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

A new manager and complete rebuilding is in order.

Complete rebuilding is a bit much, the squad is pretty good but is clearly lacking in certain areas.

Lack of defensive options(and MF to a lesser degree) has proved to be bordering on the neglient IMO.

The senior players like Mert/Flam/Ramsey/Cazorla are not leaders of the team and when the chips are down seem to hide, so disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

The team is not good in general and hasnt been for a long time.

we havent bet Manchester united in over 4 years.....

Ill just leave that with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Complete rebuilding is a bit much, the squad is pretty good but is clearly lacking in certain areas.

Lack of defensive options(and MF to a lesser degree) has proved to be bordering on the neglient IMO.

The senior players like Mert/Flam/Ramsey/Cazorla are not leaders of the team and when the chips are down seem to hide, so disheartening.

It's not that they're hiding.

We started the season with six defenders for 4 spots - Mert, Kos, Debuchy, Chambers, Gibbs, Monreal.

That is massively negligent and there's nothing that can be done on the day.

Moreover, given Arsenal's injury record, six defenders for four spots would clearly never ever do.

Yesterday is no-one's fault but Wengers.

You can't expect the midfielders to do anything about that.

The team is not good in general and hasnt been for a long time.

we havent bet Manchester united in over 4 years.....

Ill just leave that with you

I know our record against the top teams is pathetic at this stage.

I would argue this again comes down to lack of leaders and lacking in defensive and MF areas. Bad tactics and big game mentality are also to blame. Unfortunately this all comes down to the manager.

We have loads of the same kind of midfield players, the balance wrong.

Stick Matic, Ozil, Kompany and Walcott into our team, and I think we would have a good chance to beat City/United/Chelsea.

There is a massive difference in attitude in the team this year. The form of Mert and Ramsey is very strange, how could they go so bad in 6 months?

gosplan wrote: »

We started the season with six defenders for 4 spots - Mert, Kos, Debuchy, Chambers, Gibbs, Monreal.

And they were aware that Kos had cronic pain in his achiles tendons, and Gibbs is often injured.

It's insane really.

Whats up with Mert? He isn't much use if he can only play with Kos and no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Those interviews are painful to listen to. This team has a great mental strength, attitude etc. Same ole guff every time. I know he cant come out and say too much but at least break it up, use some new cliches every now and then.
    The guys asking the questions always seem to give him an easy ride too

I didn't click on the link but he definitely criticised the defensive display.

That first half was a complete and utter humiliation and was a cristallisation of all that is wrong with Arsenal under Arsene.

All of the clichés that have been thrown at Arsenal over the years were there on display.

I'm just hoping this is as bad as it gets, but I'm not convinced.

• Advertisement

And they were aware that Kos had cronic pain in his achiles tendons, and Gibbs is often injured.

It's insane really.

Whats up with Mert? He isn't much use if he can only play with Kos and no one else.

I reckon it's the Richard Dunne thing.

If he only has a small area to cover and it's all about getting blocks and headers in he looks great.

Leave him 1 on 1 or make him step out and you expose his weakness fairly easily.

greendom wrote: »
    I didn't click on the link but he definitely criticised the defensive display.

That first half was a complete and utter humiliation and was a cristallisation of all that is wrong with Arsenal under Arsene.

All of the clichés that have been thrown at Arsenal over the years were there on display.

I'm just hoping this is as bad as it gets, but I'm not convinced.

Unless we have Kos fit and 2 more of Mert, Debuchy, Chambers, we're in trouble.

Already the next PL match is looking ropy because Chambers and Debuchy are out.

We have to have Kos back for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That is massively negligent and there's nothing that can be done on the day.

Moreover, given Arsenal's injury record, six defenders for four spots would clearly never ever do.

Yesterday is no-one's fault but Wengers.

You can't expect the midfielders to do anything about that.

Agree with most of that but some of our players acted like scared little girls yesterday. I'm looking at you Gibbs and Mert in particular. Pulling out of tackles and failing to try to block crosses is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Yesterday and all this season our problems have been not having defenders and not upgrading our DM

On certain games I would point fingers at the olayers

But this seasons downfall all goes on wengers there, he looked at his squad in August seen we had only 6 defenders he new that arteta had a chronic calf problem and he decided to gamble

That gamble backfired and that's at his door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

byrneg28 wrote: »

This reminds me of this arsenal forum lately hahahahhaa

Ha. Ty sounds like some people here who can't defend Wenger anymore so they come out with the line that we need to get behind the club.

Our only shining light is that all out competitors are fairly **** too

Otherwise even top 4 would be neary unreaxhable at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Looking like a similar ending to his Monaco career.

Win's the league in his debut season then the decline starts.

They finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 9th.

They were 17th when he was sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Looking like a similar ending to his Monaco career.

Win's the league in his debut season then the decline starts.

They finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 9th.

They were 17th when he was sacked.

I hope we don't get to that. . .

Our only shining light is that all out competitors are fairly **** too

Otherwise even top 4 would be neary unreaxhable at this stage

This is so frustrating too, if we were just a bit better we would be right up at the top of the league, within 5/6 points of Chelsea and right in it.

• Advertisement

If me, a fairly simpleton head could see in august we would have a defensive injury crisis within weeks of the new season then why couldn't "the professor" see it, with his 6 million a year salary.

Its pure incompetence and neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

yipeeeee wrote: »
    If me, a fairly simpleton head could see in august we would have a defensive injury crisis within weeks of the new season then why couldn't "the professor" see it, with his 6 million a year salary.

Its pure incompetence and neglect.

He did see it he just feels so safe he knows he can take risks.

We all said it on the day of the window, how he could go at take part in the charity event as he did was a disgrace with us needing work done.

He did the same up front too.

No way we sign Welbeck if Giroud wasn't injured.

So if Giroud picked up his injury a few days later, we'd be alternating Sanogo and Sanchez as the line striker cause Sanogo can't stay fit.

But Welbeck's OK. He's not amazing but he's OK and useful enough.

Hopefully Arsne will take note. Sometimes when you go out and just buy the best available player, they turn out to be fine.

I still maintain he will step aside at the end of the year

Hopefully he will be after getting us top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The thing about yesterday was that it wasn't just that the defence was bad in the first half but we also didn't have a midfield. If you think about how many chances we had in that first half, there were only two, one from a corner and the second was Giroud's miss created by a defender.

And it wasn't just that the midfield was playing defensively either, because they were left totally exposed from the start.

The sooner we have alternatives so we can drop Ramsey and Cazorla the better because neither have really turned up this year and definitely not in a consistent manner you can rely on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Kinda nervous about the trip to Turkey now! Stoke was bad enough and it's going to be in Hell on Tuesday night!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Kinda nervous about the trip to Turkey now! Stoke was bad enough and it's going to be in Hell on Tuesday night!

I guarantee you we put out a second string and they perform better than our first choice.

Players who have been treated badly by Wenger will prove a point.

It doesn't really matter, does it?
    We will be second in the group anyway. Can't see Dortmund losing home to Anterlecht, who they don't chase anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Performance wise I mean. We've Newcastle next in the league after and they're on a high now! Level on points with us too I see!

Monreal has been our second best CB this season

That's not good if your per

Performance wise I mean. We've Newcastle next in the league after and they're on a high now! Level on points with us too I see!

I don't know.
    I would expect that Wenger would rest all the first team, there won't be any other chance to do so.
    Sanogo, Campbell, Podolski, Rosicky, they should also start.

• Advertisement

I still maintain he will step aside at the end of the year

Hopefully he will be after getting us top 4

No chance IMO.

The reason he's being so picky about players is he fancies creating a squad that will win something big.

He'll go out next summer and get the best mid and CB he can and in squad terms we'll be just about there. A world class CF would be icing on the cake.

Not right to sacrifice this season though. I'm sure he can justify it but you should tell the season ticket holders before they renew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He'll go out next summer and get the best mid and CB he can and in squad terms we'll be just about there.

But why didn't he do that last summer then? Who will be available next summer that's such an improvement on what was available then? Has he a plan or is he just hoping good players will be available? Hear this "next January he'll do this, next summer he'll do that" line every year and it never materialises. He signs enough players so we can get by and scrape 4th. He's lucky that Sanchez hasn't needed time to adapt to the English game, otherwise fcuk knows where we'd be in the table right now.

Bergkamp: Footballs Greatest on SkyS 5

Just an amazing player, him and Henry god we were immense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Jenkinson playing well for West Ham while we had to play Flamini at RB. Makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

This is so frustrating too, if we were just a bit better we would be right up at the top of the league, within 5/6 points of Chelsea and right in it.

Ah man, we've been garbage all season

2-1 Palace (garbage)
    1-0 west brom (unconvincing)
    1-0 shampton (poor)
    3-0 burnley (better but still unconvincing)
    2-0 sunderland (okayish)
    3-0 aston villa (good performance)

1 good performance out of 6 wins.

UCL

0-2 dortmund (horrible)
    4-1 galatasary (best performance all season and even at that it was tight in the second half)
    2-1 anderlecht (garbage)
    3-3 anderlecht (garbage)
    2-0 dortmund (good performance)

Draws
    2-2 Hull (lucky and garbage)
    1-1 Leicester (poor and unconvincing)
    2-2 City (good performance)
    2-2 Everton (lucky and garbage)
    1-1 Spurs (rubbish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Agree, watching arsenal this year is painful, lucky for us, our forth spot rivals have been equally as bad. Anyway I've seen this before, we'll perform terribly until the second leg of the first champions league knock out game, we'll need a miracle to go through and we'll almost do it, after that we'll play Okay and claim our fourth spot trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I'm not an Arsenal fan but I have to say that I just cannot understand what is going on with this attitude towards Wenger from fans...

Look, Arsenal are 2 points off 4th....2. Points. Of. 4th.....

Look at who is around you....has Wenger spent the colour of what Chelsea have spent? What about United? City are up in the stratosphere and Southampton are starting to freefall now that they've met some decent competition lately. West Ham are punching above their weight and will eventually start slipping down to where they should be.

Arsenal beat Dortmund and have qualified for the next stages of the Champions League.

What exactly do Arsenal fans expect?! Arsenal are where they should be. Do you think you're going to challenge for the Champions League in the final every year? Did you expect to win the Premier League?!

If you want to be challenging for these titles the only question you need to be answering is how big is your wallet? Wenger will never, and has never spent huge sums. If you want to be hanging with the big boys then you need to be prepared to put bids in for the Aguero's, Suarez's, Ibrahimvic's and Muller's of this world. Until that day comes, you'll be where you're supposed to be.

Dayum wrote: »
    I'm not an Arsenal fan but I have to say that I just cannot understand what is going on with this attitude towards Wenger from fans...

Look, Arsenal are 2 points off 4th....2. Points. Of. 4th.....

Look at who is around you....has Wenger spent the colour of what Chelsea have spent? What about United? City are up in the stratosphere and Southampton are starting to freefall now that they've met some decent competition lately. West Ham are punching above their weight and will eventually start slipping down to where they should be.

Arsenal beat Dortmund and have qualified for the next stages of the Champions League.

What exactly do Arsenal fans expect?! Arsenal are where they should be. Do you think you're going to challenge for the Champions League in the final every year? Did you expect to win the Premier League?!

If you want to be challenging for these titles the only question you need to be answering is how big is your wallet? Wenger will never, and has never spent huge sums. If you want to be hanging with the big boys then you need to be prepared to put bids in for the Aguero's, Suarez's, Ibrahimvic's and Muller's of this world. Until that day comes, you'll be where you're supposed to be.

What do we expect? A hell of a lot more than what your suggesting we should be happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Soups123 wrote: »
    What do we expect? A hell of a lot more than what your suggesting we should be happy with

Come back to me when you're in 6th or 7th having spent 150million.

Dayum wrote: »
    Come back to me when you're in 6th or 7th having spent 150million.

It's not that simple. Arsenal fans are not just annoyed about form, it's about the ambition of the manager and the club as a whole. We pay the highest ticket prices in the league and are being told by the club that we are now competing financially with the biggest clubs.

Take the summer gone we had more to spend and knew the areas needed and just failed to do business.

A larger proportion of fans want change more so than just a Wenger Out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement