Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Dayum wrote: »
    I'm not an Arsenal fan but I have to say that I just cannot understand what is going on with this attitude towards Wenger from fans...

Look, Arsenal are 2 points off 4th....2. Points. Of. 4th.....

Look at who is around you....has Wenger spent the colour of what Chelsea have spent? What about United? City are up in the stratosphere and Southampton are starting to freefall now that they've met some decent competition lately. West Ham are punching above their weight and will eventually start slipping down to where they should be.

Arsenal beat Dortmund and have qualified for the next stages of the Champions League.

What exactly do Arsenal fans expect?! Arsenal are where they should be. Do you think you're going to challenge for the Champions League in the final every year? Did you expect to win the Premier League?!

If you want to be challenging for these titles the only question you need to be answering is how big is your wallet? Wenger will never, and has never spent huge sums. If you want to be hanging with the big boys then you need to be prepared to put bids in for the Aguero's, Suarez's, Ibrahimvic's and Muller's of this world. Until that day comes, you'll be where you're supposed to be.

Care to expand on the bolded part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If were talking about replacements I think Slavan Bilic is a top top coach. It would be a high risk appointment but there isnt many coaches out there that really stands out for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Care to expand on the bolded part?

I'm guessing in terms of spending and wages we're probably around 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Come back to me when you're in 6th or 7th having spent 150million.

How did Atletico win La Liga last season if its only money that counts.

How much more did Madrid spend than Atletico in the last few years?

What is Madrid's wage budget compared to Atletico?

How did they manage to make the CL final on such a budget.

How did Dortmund win two bundesliga against Bayern Munich?

What's Munich budget compared to Dortmund's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

How did Atletico win La Liga last season if its only money that counts.

How much more did Madrid spend than Atletico in the last few years?

What is Madrid's wage budget compared to Atletico?

How did they manage to make the CL final on such a budget.

How did Dortmund win two bundesliga against Bayern Munich?

What's Munich budget compared to Dortmund's?

The first mistake you're making is thinking that the Bundesliga or La Liga are as competitive as the Barclays Premier League - they're not. Far from it.

Atletico had a superb team last season. One of the main reasons for their success is now playing for Chelsea. Look around La Liga....how many teams are spending the stupid amounts of money Premier League teams are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm guessing in terms of spending and wages we're probably around 4th

True, but football is not just about money spending.
    I would have expected us to be 6-9 points higher than we are now. If there were still 5-6 teams, fair enough, I would give team credit for good effort.
    But now, with only 23 points in 15 games, not much to credit the team for.

And if spending is so important, then start spending. What are our cash reserves? More than 150m GBP if I recall correctly? Surely we can afford to spend half of them easily.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    True, but football is not just about money spending.
    I would have expected us to be 6-9 points higher than we are now. If there were still 5-6 teams, fair enough, I would give team credit for good effort.
    But now, with only 23 points in 15 games, not much to credit the team for.

And if spending is so important, then start spending. What are our cash reserves? More than 150m GBP if I recall correctly? Surely we can afford to spend half of them easily.

As much as people hate to say it, it doesn't make it any less of a fact...modern football is all about money.

You can buy success. Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona. Money talks in this game and unless Arsenal is wiling to spent vasts amount of money on players and wages then you'll be where you are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What exactly do Arsenal fans expect?!

We expect our team to go to the likes of Stoke, play with pride and get a result instead of having to watch another embarrassing capitulation from players acting like frightened little schoolboys. We expect to win at home to Anderlecht when we're 3-0 up. We expect to beat Hull at home. Just a few examples and not a lot to expect from a club of our stature imo.

The first mistake you're making is thinking that the Bundesliga or La Liga are as competitive as the Barclays Premier League - they're not. Far from it.

Atletico had a superb team last season. One of the main reasons for their success is now playing for Chelsea. Look around La Liga....how many teams are spending the stupid amounts of money Premier League teams are?

Atletico’s revenue £89m

Real Madrid revenue £500m

Barcelona revenue £500m

Amazing what a good manager can do.

Arsenal revenue £300m

Can purchase players like Ozil and Sanchez.

Can have a higher wage bill than Chelsea.

But can't even imagine challenging for the title apparently.

• Advertisement

We expect our team to go to the likes of Stoke, play with pride and get a result instead of having to watch another embarrassing capitulation from players acting like frightened little schoolboys. We expect to win at home to Anderlecht when we're 3-0 up. We expect to beat Hull at home. Just a few examples and not a lot to expect from a club of our stature imo.

Stature? What stature have you got? I think you might have an inflated opinion of the club which is giving you a false sense of entitlement. Arsenal won nothing for 9 years. Look at Liverpool - five European trophies under their belt and apart from a well fought title run last season spearheaded by one of the best strikers in the world right now are completely irrelevant in footballing terms. A season is a lifetime in football. You're only as good as your last game. If Arsenal ever want to be the force they once were then the club needs to start spending massive amounts of money and wages. And that's simply something the higher echelons are not prepared to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

OK what about stoke and Swansea??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Stature? What stature have you got? I think you might have an inflated opinion of the club which is giving you a false sense of entitlement. Arsenal won nothing for 9 years. Look at Liverpool - five European trophies under their belt and apart from a well fought title run last season spearheaded by one of the best strikers in the world right now are completely irrelevant in footballing terms. A season is a lifetime in football. You're only as good as your last game. If Arsenal ever want to be the force they once were then the club needs to start spending massive amounts of money and wages. And that's simply something the higher echelons are not prepared to do.

Fcuk stature is about ambition as others detailed above we can compete with transfer fees now we have a higher wage than Chelsea but you think that doesn't mean we could think about winning a PL or CL???

The club has the money it's the unwillingness to try compete at the elite level that pisses fans off

So your just going to ignore Atletico winning La Liga against the two biggest teams in the world?

And they won it with a fifth of Real's and Barca's budget.

Arsenal sign two of the world's best players for nearly £80 million.

Arsenal now with revenue over £300 million and a wage bill higher than Chelsea can't hope to compete for the title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If a season is a lifetime, are United a mid table team now with little stature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I feel drained...I can't even read this thread anymore(not because of the ppl) it's just painful reading the same negative stuff(I'm negative too because that's reality) but I'm just fed up. That video was soul destroying I wanted to tear that blokes head off. Please someone give me something to be positive about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Please someone give me something to be positive about!

B2SwHPgCIAAxhoN.jpg

Here ya go - the only positive this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I get the negativity and been down

But at the end of the day it's just a game of ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I get the negativity and been down

But at the end of the day it's just a game of ball

I don't mean my life is over or I'm depressed haha I just meant in football terms!

I don't mean my life is over or I'm depressed haha I just meant in football terms!

In football terms

No

We're pretty fcuked :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm all for back and forth but can we stop comparing ourselves to Chelsea and Atletico?

Atletico are a big deal cause they're the first team since Valencia 15 years ago to break the top two in Spain.

Chelsea have spent 100 million a year for a decade and have the best manager ever.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm all for back and forth but can we stop comparing ourselves to Chelsea and Atletico?

Atletico are a big deal cause they're the first team since Valencia 15 years ago to break the top two in Spain.

Chelsea have spent 100 million a year for a decade and have the best manager ever.

Atletico and Chelsea are clubs with top managers, something we badly need now.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Long time reader, first time poster. To say the last 10 years have being frustrating is an understatement. I believe Wenger's time was up two or three seasons ago. Its just so easy to beat us these days. We have no players that can tackle and only seem to pussy foot the ball around outside their box till we loose it and they counter attack. Long gone are the days of Ljungberg, Pires, Overmars, Wiltord dribbling at pace down both wings beating players with ease and creating chances or scoring. I can't seem to understand why we moved from signing tall physical players who brought us success and is needed in the PL imo, to signing short lightweight players who can't tackle. Its ok to carry one or two lightweight players but the entire midfield is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Long time reader, first time poster. To say the last 10 years have being frustrating is an understatement. I believe Wenger's time was up two or three seasons ago. Its just so easy to beat us these days. We have no players that can tackle and only seem to pussy foot the ball around outside their box till we loose it and they counter attack. Long gone are the days of Ljungberg, Pires, Overmars, Wiltord dribbling at pace down both wings beating players with ease and creating chances or scoring. I can't seem to understand why we moved from signing tall physical players who brought us success and is needed in the PL imo, to signing short lightweight players who can't tackle. Its ok to carry one or two lightweight players but the entire midfield is a joke.
    Not disputing what you are saying, but I just wanted to point out that from the 4 players you mentioned, only Bobby Pires was over 6ft, and he certainly wasn't phyical. Stature isn't the problem, it's the mentality of the players entering the game.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not disputing what you are saying, but I just wanted to point out that from the 4 players you mentioned, only Bobby Pires was over 6ft, and he certainly wasn't phyical. Stature isn't the problem, it's the mentality of the players entering the game.

First time poster, leave him alone :-) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

He'll go out next summer and get the best mid and CB he can and in squad terms we'll be just about there. A world class CF would be icing on the cake.

Im at a loss as to how you can keep that kind of faith in him

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

You're correct in what you're saying because we had central midfielders like Vieira Edu and Petit who were big and strong and would not be bullied on the pitch. We don't have anybody on the squad with the stature of those three. Very lightweight in midfield and always getting outmuscled. Strange how Wenger allowed the squad to evolve to where it is today. Totally different from his title winning teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Quazzie wrote: »

The four players I mentioned were not known for their tackling ability except for Ljungberg on occasion who liked to put the boot in. However, the rest of the team made up for this. Vieira, Gilberto, Campbell, Keown, Toure, Cole, Lauren and even Lehmann on the goal never pulled out of tackles. Our current problems I believe are both mental like you said and the lack of physicality of our players.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im at a loss as to how you can keep that kind of faith in him

It's not faith.

He won't add more than 2-3 important players for fear of upsetting the whole rhythm of the team stuff (I am nt agreeing with this, just it's the way it is)

Despite all the guff the three most important positions we needed strengthening in last summer were RB, Goalscorer, Utility defender.

He has methods and for better or worse (worse right now) he sticks to his guiding principals.

The best CB and DMF we can find in the summer, or maybe jan. Then the squad is more or less done.

It would be wrong to think that Wenger is blind. He knows what's needed but is totally preoccupied with the way the team are gelling abd the rhythm of the play. He's just not a pragmatic manager, never has been. He's French FFS, it's either mercurial awesomeness or average. He refuses to grind it out.

The fleas come with the dog I guess. When he got the right squad, you had the invincibles doing what they did in the style they did it in. They were the same in that they didn't care about the opposition, didn't practice set pieces etc.

Anyway, getting off topic. Main point is he will sign and we're more or less complete apart from CB and DMF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's not faith.

He won't add more than 2-3 important players for fear of upsetting the whole rhythm of the team stuff (I am nt agreeing with this, just it's the way it is)

Despite all the guff the three most important positions we needed strengthening in last summer were RB, Goalscorer, Utility defender.

He has methods and for better or worse (worse right now) he sticks to his guiding principals.

The best CB and DMF we can find in the summer, or maybe jan. Then the squad is more or less done.

What rhythm?

Some videos on YouTube of the fans abusing wenger at the train station

Disgraceful

• Advertisement

What rhythm?

Exactly.

I never said he was getting it right btw, just that this was how he approached the game.

For me the only hope is if he get's a really strong spine to the team. Like if Rambo came back to last years form and we had

Kos - CB - DMF - Rambo - Ozil

The other CB and DMF need to be hard as nails and more importantly consistent.

My own personal feeling is that he's failing but might pull a great season out of the bag if we get the right players and get lucky with injuries.

I figure if we're going to just go and sign the next manager and play the same as everyone else, we can do that any time. May as well give Wenger another 2 years at it.

I'm not paying thousands for a season ticket though.

It's not faith.

It would be wrong to think that Wenger is blind. He knows what's needed but is totally preoccupied with the way the team are gelling abd the rhythm of the play. He's just not a pragmatic manager, never has been. He's French FFS, it's either mercurial awesomeness or average. He refuses to grind it out.

The fleas come with the dog I guess. When he got the right squad, you had the invincibles doing what they did in the style they did it in. They were the same in that they didn't care about the opposition, didn't practice set pieces etc.

Anyway, getting off topic. Main point is he will sign and we're more or less complete apart from CB and DMF.

But whats the point in signing 2 - 3 players when your losing players also?
    That means that we need replacements as well as additions.
    I do agree that going out and signing 7 or 8 players in one window is crazy, it certainly hasnt helped Liverpool or Spurs.
    However for too long he's been buying 1 or 2 players or none at all in windows when there were times when 3 - 5 players were needed. Thats why our squad is depleted now.
    Also he held on to some deadwood far too long, bendtner being a prime example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The four players I mentioned were not known for their tackling ability except for Ljungberg on occasion who liked to put the boot in. However, the rest of the team made up for this. Vieira, Gilberto, Campbell, Keown, Toure, Cole, Lauren and even Lehmann on the goal never pulled out of tackles. Our current problems I believe are both mental like you said and the lack of physicality of our players.

They were also natural born leaders who thrived under pressure and knew what it took to win ugly. These bunch arent fit to be talked about in the same breath. If you look at our side now to our one that were winning league you could only argue that Sanchez and Kos would make the starting XI.

wonga77 wrote: »
    But whats the point in signing 2 - 3 players when your losing players also?
    That means that we need replacements as well as additions.
    I do agree that going out and signing 7 or 8 players in one window is crazy, it certainly hasnt helped Liverpool or Spurs.
    However for too long he's been buying 1 or 2 players or none at all in windows when there were times when 3 - 5 players were needed. Thats why our squad is depleted now.
    Also he held on to some deadwood far too long, bendtner being a prime example

Agree. But I don't think we'll lose anyone this summer.

Project youth didn't work so now I think Wenger's on project 'world class'. Keep adding an Ozil or Sanchez every season and it'll come good.

Overall what's hurt us is the change that you're talking about.

What has changed for me, and the only reason I can stick by him is that, emergency buy Welbeck aside, his signings for the last two years have been as good as we could make them.

In my heart of hearts, I feel this won't be enough, that we'll still mess it up, but judging from the last two seasons, we're going to hunt for some quality in defence and DMF.

Give him that chance I say. Barring a miracle a new manager won't get us past Chelsea and City, Wenger just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XKJSd4cpQ

For those who haven't seen it.

I agree that he should step down at the end of the season but they should show some respect

Agree. But I don't think we'll lose anyone this summer.

Project youth didn't work so now I think Wenger's on project 'world class'. Keep adding an Ozil or Sanchez every season and it'll come good.

Overall what's hurt us is the change that you're talking about.

What has changed for me, and the only reason I can stick by him is that, emergency buy Welbeck aside, his signings for the last two years have been as good as we could make them.

In my heart of hearts, I feel this won't be enough, that we'll still mess it up, but judging from the last two seasons, we're going to hunt for some quality in defence and DMF.

Give him that chance I say. Barring a miracle a new manager won't get us past Chelsea and City, Wenger just might.
    One "world class" player a season, assume they spend most of their career with us and we might get a starting 11 from it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Our Germans have been below par this season. World Cup hangover still? Özil better than the critics say but is get a decent CB for Kos and stick Mert on the bench. Sell Ploddy to Twitter for all I care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I understand the frustration but it's just sad seeing that.

fulmer1984 wrote: »

I agree that he should step down at the end of the season but they should show some respect

Don't sound like London accents???

• Advertisement

fulmer1984 wrote: »

They were Stoke fans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He deserves better than that abuse.

Very saddening.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He deserves better than that abuse.

Very saddening.

Couldn't get the link to open.
    Who was abused and by whom please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Couldn't get the link to open.
    Who was abused and by whom please?

I believe it to be Arsenal fans. Shouting at Joel Campbell to "get out while he can" and then Wenger arrives and the boos ring out, very aggressively

Shameful

Shameful

Indeed. I don't like it but I understand it.
    They did spend their good money going up to Stoke to watch that dross and hear the same lame excuses afterwards.
    Was bound to happen sooner or later.

• Advertisement

They did spend their good money going up to Stoke to watch that dross and hear the same lame excuses afterwards.

Critise all they want, want change all the want

Abusing a man in public is not on I don't care what the situation is, it's not on and it's not acceptable

Abusing a man in public is not on I don't care what the situation is, it's not on and it's not acceptable

I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of this if our results don't improve.

Nah Tayto there is no low we can go were Arsene can be treated like that, it's fcukin disgraceful I felt sick watching it.

To both points I agree, it was bound to happen but its still not right.
    I want Wenger to go, but I would still love to meet the man and thank him for all he has done for the club.
    With all celebrities and sports people who make oodles of money, some feel it is fair game to criticise them and abuse them because well they make enough money so they can take it. Its not like that, I have a first cousin who has played in the premiership for a few years and for Ireland, I can tell you that abuse does hurt, at the end of the day they are normal guys who have families and are only human. They read the papers and browse the internet just like anyone else. I remember one time he was telling me about a derby game where he stopped his mother going because he didnt want her to hear the chants that were aimed at him. Another time my brother was at a game with my grandmother, (thankfully she didnt have a fcuking clue what was being sung) She asked my brother afterwards and he skillfully avoided the question with some other ryhme!

Telling Campbell to get out while he still can and abusing Wenger and peddling it all over youtube, thats just embarrassing for the club and for genuine fans and im sickened watching it

efb wrote: »
    They were Stoke fans

What makes you say that I hope your right

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement