Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Martinez
    Bells
    Chambers
    Mert
    Mon
    Flam
    Caz?
    Rosicky
    Campbell
    Sanogo
    Pod

Something like this 2mo i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

As points are a variable I don't think it's the best indication on how a team is doing.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As points are a variable I don't think it's the best indication on how a team is doing.
    Jesus, really don't know where to start with that. :pac:

Is there any metric by which the team is doing better this year. Even a "non-variable"? :P

Really don't give a **** about the Galatasaray match. If there's anyone who could do with a tactical yellow card (not sure how the totting-up works in the CL) then put them on at the end to get it. Other than that play 8 year-olds for all I care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jesus, really don't know where to start wth that. :pac:

Is there any metric by which the team is doing better this year. Even a "non-variable"? :P

Well it was an in general comment, but the team is playing rubbish no hiding that. Some of worst football I've seen the team play in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How are points a variable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Other than that play 8 year-olds for all I care.

ARE YOU MAD?

8 YEARS OLDS!?

IN TURKEY!

IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

THEY'D GET DESTROYED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    ARE YOU MAD?

8 YEARS OLDS!?

IN TURKEY!

IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

THEY'D GET STABBED!

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wenger has taken the strange step of naming the team for tomorrow night a day early :confused:

Szczesny; Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Bellerin; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Flamini, Ramsey; Campbell, Sanogo, Poldi

I don't know what Mert and Chambers are doing there. Play some kids ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Wenger has taken the strange step of naming the team for tomorrow night a day early :confused:

Szczesny; Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Bellerin; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Flamini, Ramsey; Campbell, Sanogo, Poldi

Debuchy already!

Really? Debuchy back? That's good, rough opposition for him tho, Ramsey again? seriously? Rosicky is going to leave in Jan unless he's being paid something ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Surely Strating Debuchy isnt a risk worth taking? ease him back into it at least. Delighted to see Campbell getting a start

Rosicky not even on the bench, he's not injured is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

See i'd have thought playing Bellerin against Gala would have been the better option.

The only reason to play Debuchy would be for match fitness.

Rosicky not even on the bench, he's not injured is he?

Not that i know off, if he is that's the only excuse Wenger could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    See i'd have thought playing Bellerin against Gala would have been the better option.

The only reason to play Debuchy would be for match fitness.

Bellerin is playing

Barney ronay in todays guardian:

Is it right to abuse Wenger on a train back from Stoke-on-Trent? Answer: of course not. This is the kind of treatment football should reserve, in extremis, for its real bad guys: the dishonest, the greedy, the unscrupulous. Wenger, by contrast, is a workaholic who cares only about the club and his players. His team are FA Cup holders and through to the last 16 of the Champions League, while the club is financially set thanks, in part, to Wenger’s own unstinting efforts. Abusing him now, and with such bile, feels a bit like like whining at your parents for only getting you five, not six, everlasting gobstoppers, the behaviour of the Veruca Salts of the the footballing world: shrill, entitled, stomping their tiny feet over perceived inadequacies of the in-house chocolate waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Can't believe he's starting so many first team players in a dead rubber. Play the whole reserves if he must but don't risk injury when it's not necessary. Maybe he's afraid of what another defeat will do to team moral. Pick up one or two injuries and he's exposing himself to a lot of tough questions and a further depleted squad. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

shano_88 wrote: »
    Bellerin is playing

Bellerin at LB?

Interesting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Why has he names his name a day before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

It's not really a dead rubber either. Still a small chance Dortmund slip up vs Anderlecht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Saying a manager that had won legaue titles and fa cups, and brought s team through a season unbeaten

Calling him clueless is silly

Well if he's not clueless then how come he acts clueless?
    Remember how he set the team up last year against Chelsea for instance. Many of us prior to the game could point out the weaknesses that Chelsea would exploit and it came to pass.
    Why could Wenger not see what was going to happen if we could?
    Then why did he not change after the 2nd goal but instead allowed it to continue until we conceded six?
    Same at Liverpool. Too late making changes or making none at all.

I'd call that tactically clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't believe he's starting so many first team players in a dead rubber. Play the whole reserves if he must but don't risk injury when it's not necessary. Maybe he's afraid of what another defeat will do to team moral. Pick up one or two injuries and he's exposing himself to a lot of tough questions and a further depleted squad. Madness.

Kind if get you but don't mind the idea of Flamini and Ramsey getting more games together.

I'm sure if they were showing signs of fatigue, the manager would rest them.

Great to see Debuchy back.

Something wrong with my computer as I can't play any video so i don't know what happened except that Wenger got abuse from fans.
    I don't like to see this but I expect a lot more of it if things on the field get even worse for us. Fans who pay good money and travel to support the team will not tolerate insipid performances and will always blame the man in charge.
    Our teams are not being prepared properly for games and it's plain to be seen.
    Poor defence, cowardice and hiding are not what is expected at Arsenal. AND the fact that those same players are assured of being picked the next day just compounds the issue.

There are no excuses for treating an absolute legend of the club like that.

Third round cup draw is a repeat of Cup Final.

Arsenal v Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Well if he's not clueless then how come he acts clueless?
    Remember how he set the team up last year against Chelsea for instance. Many of us prior to the game could point out the weaknesses that Chelsea would exploit and it came to pass.
    Why could Wenger not see what was going to happen if we could?
    Then why did he not change after the 2nd goal but instead allowed it to continue until we conceded six?
    Same at Liverpool. Too late making changes or making none at all.

I'd call that tactically clueless.

I dunno, is it a kind of "live by the sword, die by the sword" kinda thing..? Like when barca can't break down a defence and people say they don't have a plan B, when it's more them not wanting to play a plan B. (and then chelsea beat them ☺)

symbolic wrote: »
    I dunno, is it a kind of "live by the sword, die by the sword" kinda thing..? Like when barca can't break down a defence and people say they don't have a plan B, when it's more them not wanting to play a plan B. (and then chelsea beat them ☺)

Sorry I don't see the relevance.
    I was talking about defensive tactics or lack of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Mert getting thorn apart on monday night football, deservedly so.

Sorry I don't see the relevance.
    I was talking about defensive tactics or lack of them.

I mean the defensive tactic is to keep attacking. When people might say they should have sat back. You know? But they kept attacking and leaving themselves vulnerable, but that's the way they play.

I mean the defensive tactic is to keep attacking. When people might say they should have sat back. You know? But they kept attacking and leaving themselves vulnerable, but that's the way they play.

Arsenal were always known for their defensive qualities as in "one nil to the Arsenal". That was until Wenger changed everything for the worse. You can still be very tight in the defence and good in the attack too. It's not one or the other, you can have both. Wenger just lack nous and puts up with poor performances.

Arsenal were always known for their defensive qualities as in "one nil to the Arsenal". That was until Wenger changed everything for the worse. You can still be very tight in the defence and good in the attack too. It's not one or the other, you can have both. Wenger just lack nous and puts up with poor performances.

Changed everything for the worse.. You don't mean that ☺ha or maybe you do?

I was just suggesting that it may be his philosophy (for the want of a better term) rather than a lack of ability on his behalf. You get what I mean?

Changed everything for the worse.. You don't mean that ☺ha or maybe you do?

I was just suggesting that it may be his philosophy (for the want of a better term) rather than a lack of ability on his behalf. You get what I mean?

I refuse to believe that someones philosophy is a leaky defence that conceded 17 goals in three games last season and has failed to address the issue in the meantime. What happened for the first 45 minutes at Stoke was disgraceful.
    Had it not happened last year then I could forgive it as being a once off but it did happen and has been allowed to occur yet again.

I refuse to believe that someones philosophy is a leaky defence that conceded 17 goals in three games last season and has failed to address the issue in the meantime. What happened for the first 45 minutes at Stoke was disgraceful.
    Had it not happened last year then I could forgive it as being a once off but it did happen and has been allowed to occur yet again.

Well the philosophy wouldn't be a leaky defense. But you knew that. Too clever for me. I'll get my coat ☺

• Advertisement

Well the philosophy wouldn't be a leaky defense. But you knew that. Too clever for me. I'll get my coat ☺

No i'm not trying to get at you at all.
    I'm pointing out that nothing has changed from last season. The defensive coaching is non-existent, the flaws are still there and the same players will be selected again without any sanctions for poor displays.
    The fault inevitably lies at Wenger's door.

It's sad that this is some people's genuine opinion of him at this stage.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's sad that this is some people's genuine opinion of him at this stage.

Indeed but he has given contributed to that opinion i.e. Anderlecht and now Stoke.

I don't think it's really an opinion that he puts up with poor performances, it's a fact. There's no consequences for a bad performance, the same players get selected again and again no matter how bad they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

For pretty much everything to be Fair not just the defending. Wenger has to be questioned but not enough fans are doing that. His stubbornness is really taking the club on a downward spiral.

And I put the blame at the players door too tayto. They haven't performed really. Ramsey has been awful this season. Mert is finished for me. Wenger misuse of Campbell and Pod worries me. Why he doesn't give them a run out is still crazy to me. I still think we need a World Class Striker (many will disagree). We need a leader in the team and some tough no nonsense type players, when we go to teams who bully us we will have players that can come in and do the job.

God knows what will happen. I don't think Wenger is going anywhere to be honest, he's got far too much power in the club. For him and the owners getting 4th is the crowning glory, and that's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Indeed but he has given contributed to that opinion i.e. Anderlecht and now Stoke.

I'd say gosplan is referring to the "changed things for the worse" remark which is one of the craziest pieces of hyperbole I've ever read on here.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd say gosplan is referring to the "changed things for the worse" remark which is one of the craziest pieces of hyperbole I've ever read in my life.

Hyperbole??

Zonal marking.
    Timid tackling.
    Poor in the air (Mert can't jump, Gibbs allowing crosses to be made without challenging).
    Poor DM.

Who puts up with this?

No i'm not trying to get at you at all.
    Excellent. Just felt that was deliberately missing my point. But glad I took it up wrong.
    I'm pointing out that nothing has changed from last season. The defensive coaching is non-existent, the flaws are still there and the same players will be selected again without any sanctions for poor displays.
    And is there a chance nothing has changed any season and that he always goes at it the same way.
    Agreed, he's the man in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I don't think it's really an opinion that he puts up with poor performances, it's a fact. There's no consequences for a bad performance, the same players get selected again and again no matter how bad they play.

He just isn't the type like a Jose or Sir Alex to drop players when they are playing bad really. He's far too loyal (I think to a fault) , I just don't imagine him been the type screaming and shouting at his players. I think that's what is needed right now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hyperbole??

Zonal marking.
    Timid tackling.
    Poor in the air (Mert can't jump, Gibbs allowing crosses to be made without challenging).
    Poor DM.

Who puts up with this?

I presume you were shaking your head at the rest of us fools celebrating the three PL titles he won in the early years? I don't see how what's wrong with the team now somehow means Wenger changed things for the worse when he joined the club, we had one of the best footballing side in the world at one point thanks to him. I agree with your criticisms tayto but saying he changed things for the worse when he joined is just silly.

I presume you were shaking your head at the rest of us fools celebrating the three PL titles he won in the early years? I don't see how what's wrong with the team now somehow means Wenger changed things for the worse when he joined the club, we had one of the best footballing side in the world at one point thanks to him. I agree with your criticisms tayto but saying he changed things for the worse when he joined is just silly.

I didn't say "when he joined".
    I said he changed by not replacing leaders like Adams, Keown etc and instead has timid players. No leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I didn't say "when he joined".
    I said he changed by not replacing leaders like Adams, Keown etc and instead has timid players. No leaders.

What do you think Sol Campbell was? Vieira? Sure, you can criticise what happened afterwards, but he has bought leaders.

What do you think Sol Campbell was? Vieira? Sure, you can criticise what happened afterwards, but he has bought leaders.

That's why I said he changed. He has no leaders now. Just timid players.
    The only defender who would get in the team of 2004 is Koscielney (as a sub probably) and he's not a shouter.

I'd say gosplan is referring to the "changed things for the worse" remark which is one of the craziest pieces of hyperbole I've ever read on here.

Don't bother. It's gone too devisive at this stage.

Some people's genuine opinion is that it would be better if he had never come to Arsenal. Leave them to it.

gosplan wrote: »
    Some people's genuine opinion is that it would be better if he had never come to Arsenal.

Now that's hyperbole. Haven't heard a single poster here say that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement