Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I agree you're not United supporter and we all want Arsenal to do well...

but sometimes people comparing achievements of 10 games/half a season/a season to a Man who dedicated his career to one club riles me...that's why I brought LVG into the arguement and to be honest I don't think LVG has been great... this is a general observation

I just think once we get our majority of first 11 from last season we'll go on a run...we're not getting the rub of the green and as they say when you're down nothing goes in your favour.

LVG has not been a better manager than Wenger over the last 20 yrs don't take me the wrong way that is not what i think. We are not comparing achievements I was just making the point that so far this year if we are comparing managers LVG is doing a better job certainly points wise.

That seems to be the same thing every year tho, once **** and **** come back we'll be fine but then **** and **** get injured. Unfortunately I think we have the worst luck of all PL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Do you think Utd had a better squad than Arsenal in May? If so why?

My point is what the hell does this have to do with anything?

Why would I want to get into an argument about comparing Utd/Arsenal squads at a very particular point last season??

So one of us can be right or wrong?? Yippie!!!

gosplan wrote: »
    My point is what the hell does this have to do with anything?

Why would I want to get into an argument about comparing Utd/Arsenal squads at a very particular point last season??

So one of us can be right or wrong?? Yippie!!!

Button and Nemesis were discussing LVG? There was a comparison between him and Wenger and how we'd fare If LVG had took over Arsenal?

I said so far LVG is doing a better job because he took over a lesser team and has them higher up in the league after beating us at home. It's a discussion if you don't want to be involved in it then don't be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Button and Nemesis were discussing LVG? There was a comparison between him and Wenger and how we'd fare If LVG had took over Arsenal?

I said so far LVG is doing a better job because he took over a lesser team and has them higher up in the league after beating us at home. It's a discussion if you don't want to be involved in it then don't be?

I've a great idea.

how about we put each other on our ignore lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Surely Debuchy must start left back tonight over the inexperienced Bellerin. Its a disaster waiting to happen playing the young lad out of position not only for tonight but his confidence could take a good battering.

• Advertisement

I've a great idea.

Work away, I've no problem reading what you say I like some of your posts and if you were interested in discussing something with me I'd be more than happy to do so!

Although I think putting me on ignore would be better for your blood pressure, and it would stop you from having a go at me.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Surely Debuchy must start left back tonight over the inexperienced Bellerin. Its a disaster waiting to happen playing the young lad out of position not only for tonight but his confidence could take a good battering.

I read somewhere on here that he is both footed, I think it will be a great experience for him and it's not a must win game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Relax guys...don't make it a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I've a great idea.

Do you not find it a little ironic that you are guilty of a lot of the things you accuse other posters of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Gringo180 wrote: »

I hope Debuchy is fully fit again to be starting. Great to have him back but i would much prefer if he came on at ht just to ease himself back in.
    On saying that he might be in great shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I read somewhere on here that he is both footed, I think it will be a great experience for him and it's not a must win game.

Yeah that was me, can't remember where I saw it but apparently he is two footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ugsparky wrote: »
    I've read back through a few posts here and it's obvious that a lot of us Arsenal supporters are hurting at the moment. It's a shame because reading between the lines, at the very core of all the arguments/comments/bitching to a man we all want our club to do well and play good attacking football whilst defending as if their lives depended on it.

Stoke was everything that is good and bad about us - I felt sorry for the away supporters - but disgusted that some of the rent a gobs abused Arsene. Respect should be shown and standards maintained.

In all of this I'm confused. We had a model that was successful. It was based on a solid goalkeeper - a rock of a centre half partnered by a more mobile partner - a strong defensive midfielder who could move forward or back partnered by a sitting midfielder - a pivotal centre forward. A key player was our number 10 or a third attacking midfielder. Surely the templates for success would be our Premiership winning teams or our Invincibles. The Arsenal of today bears no resemblance to these teams - but I honestly believe there were players available who could have integrated into this structure.

We have never replaced Adams, Keown, Vieira, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg, Henry. I know financial constraints prevented us from splashing the cash, but we have bought a lot of £10 - £15 million pound players that would have added up to the sum of a Goetze, Reus, Khedira, Alonso, Cahill, Kompany, Jagielka etc. The number of players we allowed slip through the net is alarming. We forever seem to be buying the players that the bigger clubs don't want.

I know we'll never see a Bergkamp or an Henry again
    , but my point is their style of play, their structure within the team seems to have been emulated with Ozil and Sanchez. Why then are we not doing the same in Midfield and at Centre Back ?

I agree with you post, but I just wanted to point out one error. You state we seem to be buying players that other teams don't want, and then say we'll never buy a Bergkamp or an Henry again. You have to remember though that when we bought both of them, they also weren't wanted and were rotting in Serie A. This was always our style, but before we had David Dein who was pivotal in sourcing the right talent, and then securing the deal to bring them to the club. Since he has left we haven't been able to do that.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Yeah that was me, can't remember where I saw it but apparently he is two footed.

Still after all this time, I find it one of the most bizarre things about football. If I had all day, every day, getting paid to be really good at football, I'm pretty sure I'd be decent on both feet.

It would be interesting to do a tally over a season of number of missed goals due to a player trying to score with their strong foot, when a simple tap in with the other foot would have done the trick.

U-19's winning 3-1 in Turkey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The last 10-20-30-4--50 pages all have been Wenger this, Wenger that. I'm not a blind Wenger supporter but the abuse he is getting even on this forum is embarrassing...

Inferior team? yeah right......more than 200 million spent and you call it inferior...Gary Neville thought United have been playing like a Pub team and they got away with murder...I'll rest my case.

That's just it though.
    When United play like a pub team as in against us and Southampton they win.
    When we play like a pub team we get beaten.

Explain why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's just it though.

Explain why?

Lvg is great and Wenger isn't ?

greendom wrote: »
    Anyway United had a very soft opening set of fixtures and now seem to have luck as their main tactical strategy. That can't carry them through the season so let's see where we all are come May (apologies for the Wengerism but it definitely applies)

Both teams will have played every other team by Christmas.
    We'll see who is doing best by the end of the year.

To me United have better battlers and react better than us on the field when things are going against them. You make your own luck is a common phrase in football. United tend to stand up and be counted whereas some of our players throw in the towel.
    Just an observation.

PS

I don't rate Van Gal very highly.
    I believe their experienced players responded.

Lvg is great and Wenger isn't ?

Nothing to do with LVG imo.
    Their players responded like men and have pride in their profession.
    I think we have more skillful players but they are mentally weaker.
    Plus the fact that our team needs a leader to rectify the weaknesses.
    Someone to point the finger and shout the odds.

I think we have more skillful players but they are mentally weaker.
    Plus the fact that our team needs a leader to rectify the weaknesses.
    Someone to point the finger and shout the odds.

LVG is ruthless and honest. Tactically I haven't been all that impressed but I'm sure he's had a positive effect in the dressing room and has really given a few players a wake up call. Something a few of ours could do with.

That's just it though.

Explain why?

Do you really need explanation for that....

It was pure luck, they got the rub of the green for both their 1st goals against us and SFC, one collision of defenders and other misplaced backpass...you don't need battling qualities for that....and they didn't show any battling qualities at all last night...SFC just like us failed to take their chances.

FYI they had one shot on Target against us and two against SFC....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not sure I agree with that assessment of last night's game ☺

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

For me it's as simple as this..

We lose because we are arrogant enough to believe that "lesser" teams won't capitalize on our defensive inadequacies and we are therefore in no rush to rectify them when they happen in-game. Against better teams at least we have a little urgency as the perception is that these teams will punish you.

Do you really need explanation for that....

It was pure luck, they got the rub of the green for both their 1st goals against us and SFC, one collision of defenders and other misplaced backpass...you don't need battling qualities for that....and they didn't show any battling qualities at all last night...SFC just like us failed to take their chances.

FYI they had one shot on Target against us and two against SFC....

So they get all the luck and we get none?
    So simple really and nothing to do with spirit at all.
    I've heard it all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Really!? Do you even watch Arsenal matches? (Not in a condescending way just generally want to know) he has missed a bucket full of chances...at least 1 or 2 great chances every game. His finishing is dismal. He's got 3 goals in 12 PL games. That for a striker at Arsenal is simply not good enough, I'll give him till after xmas hell i'll give him until the summer, i was asked my opinion of him right now and I gave it.
    That's a massive exaggeration and you know it. Most of the chances he has missed he has created out of nothing himself, and he hasn't missed any real clear cut ones either. Obviously 3 goals in 12 isn't good enough but the only other player who has exceeded that is Sanchez who is on another level to anyone else at Arsenal and in amazing form. I fully agree that Danny needs a serious run of form over the Xmas period though. He needs to be hitting double figures by mid January.
    It's all speculation really nobody knows what way a game would have panned out had this or that happened. Of course him coming on for a RB changed the shape of the game. He offers something different up front but evidently it's not goals.
    I maintain Welbeck's defensive work and energy would have restricted a lot of Stoke's midfield domination in the first half and no way would they have been so much on top. Attitude plays a big role at a place like the Britannia and Welbeck, whatever you may say about him, possesses the attitude he learnt playing in a title winning side at Utd and coming up through the ranks there.

symbolic wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with that assessment of last night's game ☺

That's the way I saw it.
    They got 2 chances and took them.
    We got loads against them and missed all but one.

If Southampton drop down a few places over Xmas, Wenger should do what he should have done during the Summer and throw everything at Schneiderlinn.

K4t wrote: »
    That's a massive exaggeration and you know it. Most of the chances he has missed he has created out of nothing himself, and he hasn't missed any real clear cut ones either. Obviously 3 goals in 12 isn't good enough but the only other player who has exceeded that is Sanchez who is on another level to anyone else at Arsenal and in amazing form. I fully agree that Danny needs a serious run of form over the Xmas period though. He needs to be hitting double figures by mid January.

Ah come on man, It's not even an exaggeration, he has been poison in front of goal. You obviously really like him that's fine, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
    K4t wrote: »
    I maintain Welbeck's defensive work and energy would have restricted a lot of Stoke's midfield domination in the first half and no way would they have been so much on top. Attitude plays a big role at a place like the Britannia and Welbeck, whatever you may say about him, possesses the attitude he learnt playing in a title winning side at Utd and coming up through the ranks there.
    That's a fair point to make. But again I'm just saying it's not as simple as if he was playing this and that would have happened, games are always different, players always perform differently, had Giroud been playing some of the games we've lost we might have won too.

I've heard it all now.

Good for you...

Spirit - None of United supporters/commentators nor ex-players saw that...may be you can enlighten them...

Good for you...

Spirit - None of United supporters/commentators nor ex-players saw that...may be you can enlighten them...

Yeah?/
    How come we can't get a result against them then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Anybody looking forward to the game tonight?

@tayto, manunited forum is only a couple of clicks away! :pac:

Ah come on man, It's not even an exaggeration, he has been poison in front of goal. You obviously really like him that's fine, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
    We will. Fair enough he hasn't been firing on all cylinders, in fact he's been too cautious and unselfish for a striker, but I don't think he has been poor in front of goal, just not lethal so far as opposed to Sanchez.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Anybody looking forward to the game tonight?

@tayto, manunited forum is only a couple of clicks away! :pac:

Yet another dying kick :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Yet another dying kick :pac:

ah I'm only joking tayto.

We need laughy emoticons on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I've heard it all now.

Spirit? - all those goals in the dying minutes of matches this season, surely that must be a display of spirit, no - doggedness to keep going to the final whistle ?

• Advertisement

Rojo, Herrera, Shaw, Di Maria, Blind. Maybe its not 200mill but its the best part of it.

That kind of spending. Do you always need everything spelled out for you or are you just being difficult for the craic?
    £150m rather than £200. Most of whom have been injured for most of the season. Poor business signing injury-prone players? It could be argued so. However on the other hand while the defence has been decimated with injuries they've won 5 in a row and are 3rd after finishing 7th last season. Van Gaal
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    Van gaal is showing absolutely nothing so far that makes me jealous of his management.
    Fair enough, though I think you're wrong. :pac: I'm fully confident though that by this time next year there'll be plenty of disappointment that we can't have him.

Spirit? - all those goals in the dying minutes of matches this season, surely that must be a display of spirit, no - doggedness to keep going to the final whistle ?

Only other teams/Managers have spirit/battling qualities and all that...and we have none if you believe some...

Only other teams/Managers have spirit/battling qualities and all that...and we have none if you believe some...

And boy did we show it against Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Stoke and United when it mattered .... if you believe some.

wawaman wrote: »

excellent article

"For further context, Arsenal achieved 23 top four finishes in 92 seasons prior to the 18 in a row that there have been under Wenger". and still people think Arsenal have changed under him for worse.

excellent article

"For further context, Arsenal achieved 23 top four finishes in 92 seasons prior to the 18 in a row that there have been under Wenger". and still people think Arsenal have changed under him for worse.

The Top 4 trophy is still our main goal I see.

"Now, yes, of course we should also recognise the wider narrative: The boredom at so many similar seasons, the frustration at repeated mistakes, the regular failure to beat the very best clubs, the defensive naivety in being exposed to counter-attacks and a transfer strategy that left Arsenal with an obviously lopsided squad."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

You make some valid points Tayto and others, but also butcher them with some argumentative nonsense!

Less hyperbole and more reasoned debate and i might even find myself liking one or two of your posts!

You make some valid points Tayto and others, but also butcher them with some argumentative nonsense!

Less hyperbole and more reasoned debate and i might even find myself liking one or two of your posts!

My posts are from the heart and I couldn't care less who likes them. I don't post for thanks and they do not contain hyperbole in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Looking forward to seeing how our rotated squad does tonight, hopefully the young lads will get a run out. I get the feeling Wenger doesn't care much for this game, what with announcing the line-up the day before as opposed to an hour before as usual. Hopefully that means all 3 subs will be used early enough regardless if we are winning or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Jaafa wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing how our rotated squad does tonight, hopefully the young lads will get a run out. I get the feeling Wenger doesn't care much for this game, what with announcing the line-up the day before as opposed to an hour before as usual. Hopefully that means all 3 subs will be used early enough regardless if we are winning or not.

Yeah it is bit unfortunate that Anderlecht have nothing to play for going away to Dortmund.
    Last 16 draw wont be easy but definitely dont want to draw Munich again we seen that show before!

And boy did we show it against Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Stoke and United when it mattered .... if you believe some.

We definitely did that against City and United home this season...Chelsea we started brightly but then faded and we haven't played Liverpool yet...

I give you that we didn't show any spirit in the 1st half at stoke and it was too little too late in the second half.

Plenty of battle shown in the 2nd half against Stoke, last minute goal vs United shows the lads were fighting till the end.

Spirit isn't the issue as a rule although there was definitely a head's gone period in the Chelsea and Liverpool games last season. City away last year team showed plenty of spirit too imo?

Plenty of battle shown in the 2nd half against Stoke, last minute goal vs United shows the lads were fighting till the end.

Spirit isn't the issue as a rule although there was definitely a head's gone period in the Chelsea and Liverpool games last season. City away last year team showed plenty of spirit too imo?

The issue is that the team is being sent out onto the field with poor preparation.
    If you start with spirit and continue to show it throughout the game then you don't have to play catch-up. A half-time bollocking when you're 3 down is too late.
    And that doesn't even begin to explain what happened in the Anderlecht game.

The Top 4 trophy is still our main goal I see.

"Now, yes, of course we should also recognise the wider narrative: The boredom at so many similar seasons, the frustration at repeated mistakes, the regular failure to beat the very best clubs, the defensive naivety in being exposed to counter-attacks and a transfer strategy that left Arsenal with an obviously lopsided squad."

No it is not but considering the below, it is a great achievement and I'm sure in a couple more transfer windows Wenger will get the personnel he need to compete with the other three.

"the landscape was forever altered by the arrival of two clubs in Manchester City and Chelsea with almost unlimited investment, it hardly amounts to compelling evidence of failure. Especially when the third club who has shared that recent domestic dominance is Manchester United – English football’s equivalent to Bayern Munich or Real Madrid for its vast commercial income.

No it is not but considering the below, it is a great achievement and I'm sure in a couple more transfer windows Wenger will get the personnel he need to compete with the other three.

"the landscape was forever altered by the arrival of two clubs in Manchester City and Chelsea with almost unlimited investment, it hardly amounts to compelling evidence of failure. Especially when the third club who has shared that recent domestic dominance is Manchester United – English football’s equivalent to Bayern Munich or Real Madrid for its vast commercial income.

The league should never be decided on who has the biggest bank balance but no teams regardless of money should be scoring 6 against us. Those results occurred because the manager set the team up wrongly.
    You can't blame bank balances for all our troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

wawaman wrote: »

read the comments ..

in 15 matches this season Arsenal have conceded a goal at the opposing team's FIRST attempt on goal no less than SEVEN, yes 7 !!!, times.

I think its a poorly written article... loads of holes in his logic that have been gone over in this thread ad nauseum.
    I think the writer was more interested in not offending Arsene and not getting invited back for anymore Arsenal press days.

Did you read the comments ... all of them picked up on the glaring omissions and twists in the article.

Im looking forward to tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement