Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Flamini and Arteta are too slow.
    If we had to have a good DM last Sun then Hazard wouldn't have run through the middle unscathed.

I know?

Kallstrom to make a glorious return in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Kallstrom to make a glorious return in January?

He's more likely than Khedira or any other DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

greendom wrote: »
    You have to believe, not much point otherwise. I believe that Carvhalo would have been signed but for the fact that he is not solely owned by Sporting.

I do know that Wenger seems to hate the January window, but it still may happen

The last window fell just short of great for me. Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Welbeck were all great signings individually. We could have done with a couple more and it seems that the club did try to get both a CB and a DM but for whatever reason, it didn't happen

You know, if we just had held on to Verm and Sagna then id agree, we just need more defensive cover and id be kinda happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The CB issue is annoying because Kostas Manolas has started great for Roma, and by all accounts we did bid more money for him than Roma, but the player wanted guaranteed playing time.

We should have had more players in mind if that would didn't come through.

Did you see his sending off against Juve? He looks like a bit of a headbanger, I'd say him and Debuchy would have got on well!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Ozil is given free reign to roam and should be doing more than what he has been whether or not he is picked as no 10. I worry that his best performance came against a team debilitated by a virus which had them dropping like flies.

Much more worried about Ozil's performance than Ox who has been showing a lot more of what he is capable of with a lot less game time.

I'd worry more if it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Apparently Ozil to undergo MRI scan, a doubt for Germany's Euro 2016. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Apparently Ozil to undergo MRI scan, a doubt for Germany's Euro 2016. Great.

Just with Walcott coming back. Seems like they are destined not to play together for a period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That really doesn't bother me as much as it maybe should. Plenty of cover in his position and he's hardly been pulling up any trees recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I dunno lads, as an Arsenal fan it feels pretty wrong to me to be fantasizing at the thought of replacing Wenger with Mourinho. Success isn't worth that much to me. I follow the game and Arsenal for more than that. Call it naive or childish or whatever but that's just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Jaafa wrote: »
    I dunno lads, as an Arsenal fan it feels pretty wrong to me to be fantasizing at the thought of replacing Wenger with Mourinho. Success isn't worth that much to me. I follow the game and Arsenal for more than that. Call it naive or childish or whatever but that's just my 2 cents.

Pure class

I'll be honest I love Arsenal and Arsene.

But if having Mourinho in charge brought success over a sustained period of time then I'm in. Football is about success for me and winning trophies needs a ruthless approach.

I know we dislike Jose but come on its football he hasnt killed kids he just annoys people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Excellent post. Its great to win trophies but if I was a Chelsea or City fan it would be a bit of a meh for me if we won a Premier Lge, isn't that suppose to happen with the way they spend money. I think it just feels all that better winning silverware on the back of what the club has earned if that makes any sense. I know it was only the FA Cup but winning it last year was the best feeling in the world :)

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Excellent post. Its great to win trophies but if I was a Chelsea or City fan it would be a bit of a meh for me if we won a Premier Lge, isn't that suppose to happen with the way they spend money. I think it just feels all that better winning silverware on the back of what the club has earned if that makes any sense. I know it was only the FA Cup but winning it last year was the best feeling in the world :)

Not having a go because I know where you are coming from but come on, if Arsene left tomorrow and a guy like Jose was interested I would chomp it up.

I'm not fickle I'm sick of winning off the field credit, great finances, good youth policy, play the game the right way.

I want my club to win leagues, CLs over sustained periods and compete in the years they dont, I want whichever manager can do that who ever he is

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I see where you're coming from soups, and i agree with the frustration. But Jose is wrong for a club like arsenal.

I get the frustration, but I love the way our club acts off the pitch. I wouldn't swap it in a million years for a despicable coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Our net spending since the Torres deal has come down dramatically, even this year only half a dozen EPL teams have lower net spending than us.

The holier than thou attitude towards spedning will get a team nowhere, especially a team like Arsenal who have the money and are spending it now. Only City so far have been found to be in breach of the FFP.

For the best part of 3/4 years Chelsea have been buying to improve the squad with younger, up and coming players. Schurrle, Hazard, Courtois, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Salah, they werent cheap by and large but the best talent isnt cheap thats the thing, we've also bought in youngsters that may or may not make it at the club and theyre being sold off for huge mark ups after loan spells elsewhere.

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Mata, Luiz all made big profits for us in the last 24months.

I wouldnt be overly critical of Wenger hes done a decent job over thea years, FA Cup, UCL every year and a decent run at the league and UCL respectively, what will be a big tell is next year. Arsenal will more than likely get their house in order and with the TV deals adding about 80/90million to every team every year, the excuse for not spending or not having the money has to stop somewhere.

I get the frustration, but I love the way our club acts off the pitch. I wouldn't swap it in a million years for a despicable coach.

As I said above I do get that but come on it really is all about the on the field, I dont support finances and philosiphy.

Barcelona/Bayern/Madrid/City/Chelsea are hardly acting poor enough off the field whereby you would rather our approach than there trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Soups123 wrote: »
    As I said above I do get that but come on it really is all about the on the field, I dont support finances and philosiphy.

Barcelona/Bayern/Madrid/City/Chelsea are hardly acting poor enough off the field whereby you would rather our approach than there trophies.

Obviously winning trophies is very important, but surely we can do that without having to go for the special one. . . For me, winning trophies under his managing would leave a bitter taste. . .

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Obviously winning trophies is very important, but surely we can do that without having to go for the special one. . . For me, winning trophies under his managing would leave a bitter taste. . .

My point is replace Jose with 'my granny' :) it wouldnt bother me at all who it was as long as we won trophies. I don't get any satisfaction from our finances, the great image of the club, sure its nice but winning is what its all about.

The only time winning isnt what its all about is when you are coaching kids.

I'm not a fan of Jose and not suggesting he would be a success my point is that trophies matter most and everything else is a distant second.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Our net spending since the Torres deal has come down dramatically, even this year only half a dozen EPL teams have lower net spending than us.

The holier than thou attitude towards spedning will get a team nowhere, especially a team like Arsenal who have the money and are spending it now. Only City so far have been found to be in breach of the FFP.

For the best part of 3/4 years Chelsea have been buying to improve the squad with younger, up and coming players. Schurrle, Hazard, Courtois, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Salah, they werent cheap by and large but the best talent isnt cheap thats the thing, we've also bought in youngsters that may or may not make it at the club and theyre being sold off for huge mark ups after loan spells elsewhere.

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Mata, Luiz all made big profits for us in the last 24months.

I wouldnt be overly critical of Wenger hes done a decent job over thea years, FA Cup, UCL every year and a decent run at the league and UCL respectively, what will be a big tell is next year. Arsenal will more than likely get their house in order and with the TV deals adding about 80/90million to every team every year, the excuse for not spending or not having the money has to stop somewhere.

Totally understand where your coming from and I don't want to sound harsh but Chelsea were a nothing club before Abramovich and his billions came along, maybe on a par with the likes of Newcastle or Villa would be now. To me football isn't about throwing buckets loads of money and winning trophies at all costs, its about the way the game is approached on and off the field and I think Arsenal as a club are a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How does not spending all the money available make one club "classier" than another? I've never quite got that.

Does Arsenal take a moral stand on transfers similar to Bilbao and only play players from London? No
    Does Arsenal refuse to spend massively on transfer fees and wages? No
    Does Arsenal refuse to pay agents fees? No
    Does Arsenal abstain from poaching young players from other clubs? No
    Does Arsenal provide cheap seats for their loyal fans? No

Arsenal are no different from any other professionally run club. Any notion of being "classier" is based on nothing more than emotion and cant be measured by any metric that counts.

If Arsenal had been bought by a billionaire instead of Chelsea or City, would you want the board or Wenger not to spend the money available out of some sort of "fairness"? Or would you want the best talent available to play at the Emirates?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Spot on. I do, however, have a guilty thigh rub over what Klopp would be like in charge at the Emirates

Kirby wrote: »
    How does not spending all the money available make one club "classier" than another? I've never quite got that.

Does Arsenal take a moral stand on transfers similar to Bilbao and only play players from London? No
    Does Arsenal refuse to spend massively on transfer fees and wages? No
    Does Arsenal refuse to pay agents fees? No
    Does Arsenal abstain from poaching young players from other clubs? No
    Does Arsenal provide cheap seats for their loyal fans? No

Arsenal are no different from any other professionally run club. Any notion of being "classier" is based on nothing more than emotion and cant be measured by any metric that counts.

We are talking about how the club and manager conducts themselves off the field. A far cry from the classless one.

Make no mistake, the club isn't a living breathing entity. The club handles itself the same way every other club does.....by the whim's of its owners.

If you had Mike Ashley or Hicks/Gillet take over your club, how classy would it be?

And managers come and go. DiMatteo and Mancini were both thought of as gentlemen off the pitch but they were both replaced. And when Wenger finally retires, his replacement wont be the same as him. Your image will change. That's what happens in football. A relaxed gent might take over or a thundering rage filled tyrant.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »

Bayern are the only club mentioned in that post that have a worthy business model. City and Chelsea are profiting (have profited in Chelsea's case) from having a sugar daddy owner and Barca and Madrid have huge debt that is routinely written with sweetheart deals with the local government.

I've said it before, but watch out for what you desire. We could possibly go the sugar daddy route with Usmanov. How many really want him owning the club?

Spot on. I do, however, have a guilty thigh rub over what Klopp would be like in charge at the Emirates

Its mad that some people wouldn't be bothered to see Wenger gone out of the job after the start to the season we have had and have him replaced with Klopp who has had and even worse start to this season with Dortmund :pac:

Its mad that some people wouldn't be bothered to see Wenger gone out of the job after the start to the season we have had and have him replaced with Klopp who has had and even worse start to this season with Dortmund :pac:

I don't think many in here are naïve enough to base their decision on 7 games or how a team has started the season. Surely it would be based on what they have seen over the course of the past decade? I think it's a little patronizing to suggest otherwise.

If only Dortmund had played Arsenal this season so we could compare the teams...

Kirby wrote: »
    I don't think many in here are naïve enough to base their decision on 7 games or how a team has started the season. Surely it would be based on what they have seen over the course of the past decade? I think it's a little patronizing to suggest otherwise.

But do some not see the progress been made by the club over the past few years? Do you think its a coincidence that our 2 most expensive signings ever have been made in the last year. Some may not see it but the club is a work in progress which is near complete. Just a not so great start to the new season has over shadowed some of the progress been made in the eyes of some fans. We were all on cloud 9 after beating City in the charity shield just a few months after securing the FA Cup, a few games (tough fixtures) doesn't change what gains has been made.

You will not hear a truer quote in football than "Your only as good as your last game"

• Advertisement

If only Dortmund had played Arsenal this season so we could compare the teams...
    We have played them 5 times (3 away) in the last few years, 2 wins a piece and a draw, and we have the next fixture at home. Pretty even if you ask me.

Arsenal were exceptionally poor that evening, Not really a valid reference point.

Arsenal were exceptionally poor that evening, Not really a valid reference point.

They beat us well this year and dominated us at the Emirates last year. Klopp has built a very competitive team with much less resources than Bayern while losing their best players each year. I think he would be perfect fit for Arsenal. I dojn't want Wenger to leave but his plan is hard to ascertain at the moment.

They beat us well this year and dominated us at the Emirates last year. Klopp has built a very competitive team with much less resources than Bayern while losing their best players each year. I think he would be perfect fit for Arsenal. I dojn't want Wenger to leave but his plan is hard to ascertain at the moment.

I like Klopp and it was great what he did with that Dortmund team
    Since then he's spent on par with what Wenger has spent the last 3 years

30m Mkhitarian
    13m Aubameyang
    10m Sokratis
    16m Reus
    5.5m Perisic
    10m Ramos
    20m Immobile
    10m Ginter

and more players than that.. not gonna list them all

That's plenty of money and they've lost 4/7 games this season. where are the #kloppout fans??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You keep forgetting, we're only there bcoz we've been prudent in the last decade...If we had bought like Chelsea did we would have gone out of business...

Chelsea had a continuous investment over the last 10 years, We've only started this from last year.

incorrect. our russian owner is more wealthier then Roman and he once said he would love to do a Roman and splash the cash but the other board members did not approve

Klopp has built a very competitive team with much less resources than Bayern while losing their best players each year.

Sounds familiar :D

To be honest, im not so sure id like the club at the mercy of one individual. Make no mistake, nothing is being given by the benefactor. These are officially loans. Now Abramovich has proven somewhat to be the exception to that rule as he has been at Chelsea for pretty much the longhaul and similar with Man City but some clubs like Anzhi and Malaga this has proven to be a disaster. To an even smaller scale the likes of Gretna are proof of what happens when a club is overly reliant on a benefactor.

That all said, money is no longer the issue at Arsenal. We've spent quite a bit of money this summer even if Wenger left us short in one or two areas. Its our gameplan and tactics that is the issue. We could go out and buy Khedira or Carvalho, but if they are too far up the field and a ball is given away sloppily which is so often the case, then we are in a race to get back and put the fire in the kitchen out.

incorrect. our russian owner is more wealthier then Roman and he once said he would love to do a Roman and splash the cash but the other board members did not approve

His point isn't incorrect? Just because we have a shareholder who has more money than Abrhamovic doesn't mean he has actually inputted any capital into Arsenal..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

How is it incorrect?

We've been prudent, only spending what we earn rather than depending on sugar Daddy...without going into ownership shenanigans and board room conflicts FYI Usmanov only came on board in 2007, after our move to Emirates - probably attracted by Arsenal's business model and he only has 29% share holding.

Ozil out for 10 - 12 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

byrneg28 wrote: »

This is getting insane.

partial lateral collateral ligament tear in left knee? whatever that means, 3 months out anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What the hell is wrong with us?

This is getting insane.

SZCZ
    BELLERIN MERT KOS GIBBS
    FLAMINI WILSHERE
    OX SANTI SANCHEZ
    WELBECK

it's a while a way but this is the most likely squad to play Hull, and I'd be quite happy with that

that is mad. We are cursed I tell ya , CURSED!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

so it means we won't see him until new year...that's a bummer

SZCZ
    BELLERIN MERT KOS GIBBS
    FLAMINI WILSHERE
    OX SANTI SANCHEZ
    WELBECK

it's a while a way but this is the most likely squad to play Hull, and I'd be quite happy with that

don't tempt fate with most players due to play 2 internationals between now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

so it means we won't see him until new year...that's a bummer

And with Walcott just coming back too. Was looking forward to seeing them playing together.

It defies belief at this stage. Did it happen to him in training or has it been gradual I wonder? I don't think anything happened him at the weekend anyway

I presume he's been diagnosed by a German team doctor on international duty? cause if its 3 months from an Arsenal doctor then you know its at least 4-5 months

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    I presume he's been diagnosed by a German team doctor on international duty? cause if its 3 months from an Arsenal doctor then you know its at least 4-5 months
    maybe he should stay behind in Germany and get treated there :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement