Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our defence is still not good enough imo.
    We gave a bad team lots of chances tonight.
    Kos will strengthen it but I think we need to buy a good CB in Jan along with of course a good DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »
    Is it fair to say Suarez carried them for the whole of the season last season. Apart from Gerrard's free kick they offered nothing going forward and Basel could have beaten them by more.

Possibly from all reports Basel Brush'd them aside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Soups123 wrote: »
    He has earned it but I think Arsene has him marked for the exit door

Tough one but I'd like to see Giroud and Welbeck start together.

Think they link well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Kos will strengthen it but I think we need to buy a good CB in Jan along with of course a good DM.

Tayto on to give it a good moan :pac:
    We all know we need to buy a Centre back that record is repeating itself by now.
    We played very well and they only scored thanks to a brilliant free kick.

We need a top class CB, Debuchy and Kos are fine, Gibbs would be a lot better beside a commanding CB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

batistuta9 wrote: »

i think we should all put our differences aside for a minute (of riotous laughter) and think of our good friends from the liverpool thread who used to pop in every so often.

I'm thinking of a guy who is not 32nd or 34th and takes every opportunity to make his tired old jibes about arsenal.

I'm thinking of his hurt and feeling happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

yeah monaco, then porto in the quarters would be nice

i think we should all put our differences aside for a minute (of riotous laughter) and think of our good friends from the liverpool thread who used to pop in every so often.

What are they smoking at the emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

When is Mesut back anyway?

January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Delighted podolski got 2 goals for yee tonight. Met him last week at his charity in Cologne and he was really nice to chat to. Supposed to be back here in Cologne tomorrow so I'll pass on your plaudits lads!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Agree on the purchases required, but seriously, the bolded bit?? We played with a makeshift back 4 tonight for the best part. Not worthy of comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Might as well enjoy it now I suppose before we get beaten at Anfield Sunday week :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Its kind of weird how ourselves and Chelsea might be the only english teams left after tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

emmetlego wrote: »
    Agree on the purchases required, but seriously, the bolded bit?? We played with a makeshift back 4 tonight for the best part. Not worthy of comment

I strive for excellence always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I wonder how Schar performed tonight.

I strive for excellence always.

You're starting to sound like my wife…. :):D

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Its kind of weird how ourselves and Chelsea might be the only english teams left after tomorrow night.

I don't think City will beat Roma without Augero, he really is carrying them at times. Good luck to them but they shouldn't be struggling in CL year in and year out with the amount of money they spend on players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is it fair to say Suarez carried them for the whole of the season last season. Apart from Gerrard's free kick they offered nothing going forward and Basel could have beaten them by more.

missing sturridge is a big problem for them as well. they'll still have a good season if they get back in the top 4 - from an outside perspective anyway

the signings haven't worked for them at all, might yet however.
    v.persie (assisted by hollywood song a lot) carried arsenal to 4th, the year he left after giroud, pod & cazorla pretty much matched his goals and got back in. even spurs only finished 3pts worse last year w/o bale. sometimes you get away with selling your best players by not falling too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Possibly from all reports Basel Brush'd them aside

They were fawlty to one to go through tonight.

I don't think City will beat Roma without Augero, he really is carrying them at times. Good luck to them but they shouldn't be struggling in CL year in and year out with the amount of money they spend on players.

Agreed, no excuses to be honest. cant say I feel sorry for them in the slightest!

emmetlego wrote: »
    You're starting to sound like my wife…. :):D

I think we might be sharing the same woman.........

• Advertisement

I think we might be sharing the same woman.........

Nah mate, all those logs were split by the same axe!

missing sturridge is a big problem for them as well. they'll still have a good season if they get back in the top 4 - from an outside perspective anyway

the signings haven't worked for them at all, might yet however.
    v.persie (assisted by hollywood song a lot) carried arsenal to 4th, the year he left after giroud, pod & cazorla pretty much matched his goals and got back in. even spurs only finished 3pts worse last year w/o bale. sometimes you get away with selling your best players by not falling too much

But they really are struggling for goals aside from missing Sturridge. You can't depend on poor Sterling and an aging Gerrard to pull it out of the bag every week. The Defence is prone to mistakes and their GK is shakey to say the least. I don't think they get fourth to be fair. Like Spurs, Liverpool bought a lot of crap out of the big sell of Suarez.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Agreed, no excuses to be honest. cant say I feel sorry for them in the slightest!

They are an aging team too. I can't see them going to far in the CL. But we better be careful they might be sniffing around soon enough on our young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Great result, Lets be honest though, Galatasaray were absolute muck, as poor and open a team as your likely to meet.
    Great to have Debuchy back, he has abit of toughness about him anyway, Per was meh, asleep at times but made a great goaline block too. Ramsey showed flashes of his best form, hopefully that wondergoal will kickstart his year. Poldi has a thumping left boot, his first set the tone for the game. Campbell has a good touch but I must admit i expected a tiny bit more of him, pity he didnt score that chance in the first half.
    Im not so sure that Sanogo is ever going to be anything more than awkward, no bit of a touch on him at all.
    All in all a great nights work and 3 new faces get abit of european experience

https://twitter.com/TransferSite/status/542420119155011584

Sanogo is thinking, how the fcuk did he do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Absolutely. If he works like that he'd be back in favor.

Mesut back soon too.

A good night for sure

To be honest I think if we're playing any sort of a suspect defence that might give him the sniff he needs, he should play. I wouldn't play against a good defense because they'll just keep him off his left foot and then he can't do much.

He and Giroud were a nice combination for a while too. We should get back to that.

Let Giroud just set up Pod and Sanchez with his deft touches.

They are an aging team too. I can't see them going to far in the CL. But we better be careful they might be sniffing around soon enough on our young players.

Changed tomes now hopefully though and we never sell to a rival again. We can only hope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sanchez 14 (9)
    Welbeck 6 (3)
    Ramsey 6 (3)
    Giroud 3 (2)
    Podolski 3(0)
    Ox 2(1)
    Cazorla 2 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Wilshere 1(1)
    Ozil 1(1)
    Chambers 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (0)
    Sanogo 1(0)

Just watched the Ramsey goal on tv3...holey moley what a goal, surely goal of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Starting to look that way I'm afraid. Had we spent the money properly we might have had a better chance this season. We needed improvements but went about it all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

May as well just give Ramsey the Puskas Award for next year.

That was a stunning strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

brevity wrote: »
    Starting to look that way I'm afraid. Had we spent the money properly we might have had a better chance this season. We needed improvements but went about it all wrong.

Made the same mistake as spurs and bought too many players, im not sure so that many were needed but overspent on a few too, Lallana being the obvious example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Id keep ox in the centre the weekend my team

Scez

Debuchy. Kos. Mert. Gibbs

Flamini

Ox. Ramsey

Welbeck. Giroud. Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

greendom wrote: »
    Sanchez 14 (9)
    Welbeck 6 (3)
    Ramsey 6 (3)
    Giroud 3 (2)
    Podolski 3(0)
    Ox 2(1)
    Cazorla 2 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Wilshere 1(1)
    Ozil 1(1)
    Chambers 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (0)
    Sanogo 1(0)

Sanogo not get an assist for Pod tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

wonga77 wrote: »
    Made the same mistake as spurs and bought too many players, im not sure so that many were needed but overspent on a few too, Lallana being the obvious example

We needed a good few players(or a few good players hur hur), I'm not sure we needed them all at once.

Anyways...good night for Arsenal tonight! Cracking goal by Ramsey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Id keep ox in the centre the weekend my team

Scez

Debuchy. Kos. Mert. Gibbs

Flamini

Ox. Ramsey

Welbeck. Giroud. Sanchez

Same but drop Giroud for Podolski

Podolski Welbeck Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

fulmer1984 wrote: »

The brackets aren't assists, they are league goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

they're league goals in brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

atletico madrid
    real madrid
    monaco
    bayern
    psg/barca
    porto

monaco you want

4 goals in 6 group games, I'd definitely take them. Or Porto. I'd really love to get the the quarters this year. I think with the team we have we'll get our act together soon enough, could go on a decent run in the CL.

yeah sorry I should have made it clear - league goals are in brackets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Lads does no one else think that the Ox, for all his drive and determination and good runs, just hasn't had any end product this season? Something just doesn't seem to be clicking for him so far, no doubt he's good for it at some point though.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Lads does no one else think that the Ox, for all his drive and determination and good runs, just hasn't had any end product this season? Something just doesn't seem to be clicking for him so far, no doubt he's good for it at some point though.

He got an assist tonight for Ramsey's 1st goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Jaafa wrote: »

Walcott was same at his age, he'll kick on and be a serious goal threat soon but he needs consistent games to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

jamescd wrote: »

Fair enough didn't notice that actually.

jamescd wrote: »

I like Ox but that's a bit like taking credit for the Mona Lisa for handing Da Vinci his paint brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I like Ox but that's a bit like taking credit for the Mona Lisa for handing Da Vinci his paint brush.

1st goal wasn't the long range effort

• Advertisement

1st goal wasn't the long range effort

whoops - apologies Jamescd

whoops - apologies Jamescd

Ha no worries. I was scratching my head there for a minute after seeing your post. I was like what the hell does that have to do with what I said. Then I realized you must have got his 2nd goal confused with his 1st :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ox had one or two shots on goal thatricocheted off the top bar in the last few weeks, he is hitting the target which is progress and just needs a goal to boost his confidence and go on a run. Thought he was great in the middle in the first half, but a bit missing in the second, but that a very untried midfield in fairness to him.

When's the draw for the second round take place and when do the knockout stages begin?

Ox had one or two shots on goal thatricocheted off the top bar in the last few weeks, he is hitting the target which is progress and just needs a goal to boost his confidence and go on a run. Thought he was great in the middle in the first half, but a bit missing in the second, but that a very untried midfield in fairness to him.

When's the draw for the second round take place and when do the knockout stages begin?

Draw is Monday, starts in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Hopefully his match kick starts Ramsey's season now. Show us that last season wasn't a once off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement