Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Hopefully his match kick starts Ramsey's season now. Show us that last season wasn't a once off

I think it was the West Brom game I felt like it looked like things were just starting to click a little bit more for him. He followed that up with a poor enough performance against Southampton but got the all important assist that night. Including that game he now has 3 goals and 2 assists in his last 3 games. Looks like he's finally getting that form back, long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Living in Australia, I don't get to see many matches live anymore. Just caught a few highlights there. Holy **** that was some hit by Rambo. 2 goals and 1 assist tonight will hopefully give him the confidence to return to his early season form last year where he was the best midfielder in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

jamescd wrote: »
    Same but drop Giroud for Podolski

Podolski Welbeck Sanchez

I wouldn't drop Giroud, I'd play Welbeck or Podolski

Ox has had the most appearances for Arsenal this season. He has a huge work rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

On the Ox, he would have got 2 assists if not for Podolskis shot nearly breaking the cross bar

astonaidan wrote: »
    On the Ox, he would have got 2 assists if not for Podolskis shot nearly breaking the cross bar

Think he's much better through the middle. Remember AC Milan at home when we lost the first leg 4-0. He played through the center that night and totally controlled the game. I'd actually like to see front 6 this lineup Sunday:

Flamini

Ramsey

Alexis
    Ox
    Podolski

Giroud

Anyone else remember how well Podolski and Giroud used to link up? Pod is a great crosser of the ball, I think he works better with Giroud up top than he would with Danny. That said, this is all wishful thinking on my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Come the last 16 in feb, if we only buy one player in jan say a DM and for s few players back. And we line out

Scez
    Debuchy. Kos per. Gibbs
    DM/Ramsey
    Walcott. Ozil. Sanchez
    Welbeck

That team looks very very good with game changers on the bench

....Scez
    Debuchy Kos Chambers Gibbs
    Arteta/Flam
    Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
    Giroud
    .. welbz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arteta flam double pivot doesn't float my boat.

Stick schneiderlin or similar in there instead and we're a different beast

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Arteta flam double pivot doesn't float my boat.

Stick schneiderlin or similar in there instead and we're a different beast

I was giving by best team of current players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Agree the Arteta/Flamini pivot doesn't work. Wouldn't mind seeing the Ox in there for a game alongside Arteta or Flamini

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Great result and interesting again to see how we perform when the pressure is somewhat off. Very very disappointed with Sanogo. That was a really poor defence and he was completely ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

one swallow does not a summer make, and all that, but I think we can rest assured based on last night, Campbell and Sanogo are not in the top 5/6 forwards in the club, despite some clambering for them on here.

Campbell could be used as a make-way in a swap + cash deal for a world class striker

emmetlego wrote: »
    one swallow does not a summer make, and all that, but I think we can rest assured based on last night, Campbell and Sanogo are not in the top 5/6 forwards in the club, despite some clambering for them on here.

Campbell could be used as a make-way in a swap + cash deal for a world class striker

Agree re Campbell he was a stick to beat Arsene with a bit early in the season but other than being an energethic grafter he seems a level below first team.

As bad as Sanonegoal is I still think he may come good but he is very very raw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I thought Campbell was excellent, he lost a few balls but he definitely had some ideas.
    If only some of the other players thought as fast and reacted as fast he would have been in for a couple of more goals. Too often his teammates hesitated when the pass was on, and by the time they worked it out, he had been closed down. theres more to work with Campbell then there is Sanogo but you know Sanog will get more playing time, the french buy ins always get more of a chance than any other squad fringe players.

Did anyone hear the interview with somebody connected to Arsenal who said that they though Ramsey had made the wrong decision when he attempted to shoot (and scored amazing goal).
    I guess now we know why we dont shoot more often and just have a pop instead of trying to create the perfect goal. Somebody is telling them not to.

Players definitely threw out the playbook last night and just went out to play football and screw the plan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Great Banter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

keano_afc wrote: »
    Great result and interesting again to see how we perform when the pressure is somewhat off. Very very disappointed with Sanogo. That was a really poor defence and he was completely ineffective.

Got an assist in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Soups123 wrote: »
    Agree re Campbell he was a stick to beat Arsene with a bit early in the season but other than being an energethic grafter he seems a level below first team.

As bad as Sanonegoal is I still think he may come good but he is very very raw
    Jesus Christ Campbell played 60 mins of first team football before last night and already people have wrote him off???

He wasn't even that bad last night.

Our fans are so fickle sometimes, no wonder we have a reputation as the worst fans in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Campbell played 60 mins of first team football before last night and already people have wrote him off???

Our fans are so fickle sometimes, no wonder we have a reputation as the worst fans in England.

I don't think Soups wrote him off, he was just saying that he realises why he doesn't start above other players, which I'd agree with.

A lot of misplaced passes and couldn't make his mind up a lot. He looks like a good talent and should develop although.

And no he wasn't bad last night, he just wasn't as good as some fans are making him out to be.

People keep asking why doesn't Wenger start Campbell, well I can kinda gather from his performance last night that it wasn't up to the standard of say Ox, Sanchez or Cazorla imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Didn't watch the game, only saw the goals last nite...but reading from here and my colleague who is a gunner too Rambo, OX and Poldi all had a great game and he said OX was brilliant in the middle.....I think once we get our back four of Deb-Mert-Kos-Gibbs we'll be more solid at the back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Didn't watch the game, only saw the goals last nite...but reading from here and my colleague who is a gunner too Rambo, OX and Poldi all had a great game and he said OX was brilliant in the middle.....I think once we get our back four of Deb-Mert-Kos-Gibbs we'll be more solid at the back...

Chambers and Mert are probably both due a bit of a rest, perhaps they could rotate between them. Both have played an awful lot of minutes this season.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I don't think Soups wrote him off, he was just saying that he realises why he doesn't start above other players, which I'd agree with.

A lot of misplaced passes and couldn't make his mind up a lot. He looks like a good talent and should develop although.

And no he wasn't bad last night, he just wasn't as good as some fans are making him out to be.

People keep asking why doesn't Wenger start Campbell, well I can kinda gather from his performance last night that it wasn't up to the standard of say Ox, Sanchez or Cazorla imo

So he had one game and he didn't play that bad but he is not up to first team standards.

How many bad games has Ramsey cazorla mert flamini Wilshire had this season?

I understand some of the critisim but after one game there is already talk of been shipped on.

Ah maybe I'm wrong who knows.

So he had one game and he didn't play that bad but he is not up to first team standards.

How many bad games has Ramsey cazorla mert flamini Wilshire had this season?

I understand some of the critisim but after one game there is already talk of been shipped on.

Ah maybe I'm wrong who knows.

Hey man I totally agree, talking about him being shipped on is non-nonsensical.

I just think the hype that surrounds him is because of his performances in the World Cup and that goal against United.. but that's a personal thing.

Good player, still a while to go yet, if we have a good run in the FA Cup I suspect he will play a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

greendom wrote: »
    Chambers and Mert are probably both due a bit of a rest, perhaps they could rotate between them. Both have played an awful lot of minutes this season.

I agree and think once Kos get's back Wenger will rotate both Mert and Chambers...

Though with Mert retiring from Internationals and Chambers not a regular for the internationals yet...they should be OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I disagree, he might not have been brilliant last night but definately looks to have something about him. It was his first real chance so you cant be overly critical. At the very least he couldnt be as bad as some of our midfielders performances this season.

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    I disagree, he might not have been brilliant last night but definately looks to have something about him. It was his first real chance so you cant be overly critical. At the very least he couldnt be as bad as some of our midfielders performances this season.

Sorry I really have to break this down

Who's been our regular wingers?

Sanchez and Ox

What have they done?
    Been the best performing players this season

What is Joel Campbell?
    A winger

Who has underperformed at Arsenal?
    Central Midfielders - Ramsey (until yday), Flamini

Is Joel Campbell a central midfielder?
    No

Is Joel Campbell good?
    Yes

Is he as good as our current Wingers?
    No

Sanchez and Ox

What have they done?

What is Joel Campbell?
    A winger

No

Is Joel Campbell good?
    Yes

No

We don't play with proper wingers.

But ozil on the wing this season, has he been good? No.

Cazorla on the wing, has he been good? No.

Sanchez and Ox

What have they done?

What is Joel Campbell?
    A winger

No

Is Joel Campbell good?
    Yes

No

And if Sanchez and ox get injured/are rested who's going to come in? Somebody with a bit of gametime under their belt or someone who's been sitting on the bench all year and we're not really sure what we'll get with him.

Il break this down for you.

Nobody is looking for him to start.

Nobody is looking for him to replace Sanchez or Ox permanently.

People are hoping he'll get a bit more gametime to see what he has to offer.

And if Sanchez and ox get injured/are rested who's going to come in? Somebody with a bit of gametime under their belt or someone who's been sitting on the bench all year and we're not really sure what we'll get with him.

Il break this down for you.

Nobody is looking for him to start.

Nobody is looking for him to replace Sanchez or Ox permanently.

People are hoping he'll get a bit more gametime to see what he has to offer.

So in the first comment, what exactly are you disagreeing with?

Not writing him off at all, he is good honest player with plenty of ability would look a lot better with a run of games but for me he is not good enough to push out any of the others that can play there.

He played well last night I thought, a few lose passes and ran into a few defenders but that could easily be lack of games.

I wasnt aware we were the worst fans in England/Ireland, I would say we have been the most patient and supportive compared to most of the big clubs.

Not thinking a player is good enough for the first team in no way suggests he is rubbish.

Edit: I also didnt say anything about moving him on, he is an ideal squad player and could easily prove to be a first teamer in time, just not now

• Advertisement

So in the first comment, what exactly are you disagreeing with?

Sorry, it wasnt completely you comment alone I disagreed with, there were more obvious ones before I should have quoted. What I dont agree is the comparison to Ox, Sanchez and Cazorla. Cazorla has been absolute muck in alot of games, the other two have been very good fair enough.
    As also pointed out by Yipee, we have persisted with Ozil on the wings several times when he clearly isnt working there, we also dont always play with conventional wingers like others do and are well used to playing players out of their position.
    I dont get why people (not aimed at you btw) are so quick to say what he's not when we know so little about him in an Arsenal shirt.
    He has wc and champions league experience and I cant figure out why he's not used abit more. Sorry if Im rambling, im kinda agreeing and disagreeing with you a bit :)

Sorry, it wasnt completely you comment alone I disagreed with, there were more obvious ones before I should have quoted. What I dont agree is the comparison to Ox, Sanchez and Cazorla. Cazorla has been absolute muck in alot of games, the other two have been very good fair enough.
    As also pointed out by Yipee, we have persisted with Ozil on the wings several times when he clearly isnt working there, we also dont always play with conventional wingers like others do and are well used to playing players out of their position.
    I dont get why people (not aimed at you btw) are so quick to say what he's not when we know so little about him in an Arsenal shirt.
    He has wc and champions league experience and I cant figure out why he's not used abit more. Sorry if Im rambling, im kinda agreeing and disagreeing with you a bit :)

No you're okay and I wasn't tryna be smart 'breaking it down' I was more so trying to get my point across simply.

Yeah I agree he could have been given more of a chance with Ozil on the wings, I don't know what the craic was there over the weeks. Hopefully Ozil used more centrally when he comes back.

But I think everyone is in a tangle here. Nobody is saying what he's not or what he is.. because we don't know? But I think Wenger is waiting for the cup games or less important ones to play him. Because quite frankly he doesn't know?? We'll know more about him in the FA Cup, its a shame were out of C1 Cup

All i'm trying to do is lessen the hype around him from the world cup and that goal he scored against United, and I'm hoping a lot of you be modest here and agree with me. Before he scored against United, nobody heard much about him when he was on loan..

I think the hype was increased cause he had a good game against united and a few in the world cup. Different gravy though.

Yeah I'm probably getting mixed up on opinions, apologies.

Just don't like writing players off after one game

Yeah fair enough the world cup can not be the best yardstick to measure with. What does annoy me though is how many games we have seen this year where some of our players (not neccesarily just around the middle) have been completely ineffective yet are never taken off, dropped etc. Campbell just as an example deserves more of a chance, not just in the cups cause thats not the same as a league game. Others like Rosicky havent got as much of a lookin either for some reason.
    We all know what Pod/ Sanogo and all of our other regular subs have to offer, theres alot of curiosity about Campbell and its understandable after the last 12 months of his career.
    Nice to have something other than Wenger to discuss for a change!

Sing in the melody of sex bomb by Tom Jones (Laughing face the doesn't exist on boards :mad:)

Akpom Akpom, Chuba Akpom. He will get his chance tonight if Yaya's shooting wrong. Akpom Akpom, Chuba Akpom. Maybe we won't wait that long.

Sing in the melody of sex bomb by Tom Jones (Laughing face the doesn't exist on boards :mad:)

Akpom Akpom, Chuba Akpom. He will get his chance tonight if Yaya's shooting wrong. Akpom Akpom, Chuba Akpom. Maybe we won't wait that long.

hahahahahahhahahahah this is sensational

Yeah fair enough the world cup can not be the best yardstick to measure with. What does annoy me though is how many games we have seen this year where some of our players (not neccesarily just around the middle) have been completely ineffective yet are never taken off, dropped etc. Campbell just as an example deserves more of a chance, not just in the cups cause thats not the same as a league game. Others like Rosicky havent got as much of a lookin either for some reason.
    We all know what Pod/ Sanogo and all of our other regular subs have to offer, theres alot of curiosity about Campbell and its understandable after the last 12 months of his career.
    Nice to have something other than Wenger to discuss for a change!

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

No mate.

You cant judge him based on a total of 60mins of play. give him 3 games in a row bare minimum to make some sort of judgement.

Its not easy to be better the ox and cazola who are both average so far

No mate.

You cant judge him based on a total of 60mins of play. give him 3 games in a row bare minimum to make some sort of judgement.

Its not easy to be better the ox and cazola who are both average so far

Ox hasn't been average this season either.

3 games in a row. Great management there, I suppose we should give Semi Ajayi, 3 games in a row too? I mean forget the result, win or lose it doesn't matter, lets just see how Campbell is developing.

Ridiculous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Campbell looked pretty poor last night when you consider the opposition.

It's almost like Wenger sees him on the training ground 5 days per week and knows what he's capable of.

• Advertisement

Off topic but what do the stars under usernames represent exactly??

Mr Blobby wrote: »

It's almost like Wenger sees him on the training ground 5 days per week and knows what he's capable of.

He scored against United though?

Off topic but what do the stars under usernames represent exactly??

Number of posts I think

1-100 - 1 star
    100-1000 - 2 stars
    1000-10000 3 stars

and so on

Number of posts I think

1-100 - 1 star
    100-1000 - 2 stars
    1000-10000 3 stars

and so on

Defo isn't that. As far as i know you start of on 3 stars. Most mods I see are 4 or 5 and I've never seen a one. Just curious cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Sanogo was for the most part non existent last night but will still get game time though? Where's the consistency.
    Unless he's performing in training and simply can't take it onto the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Sanogo was for the most part non existent last night but will still get game time though? Where's the consistency.
    Unless he's performing in training and simply can't take it onto the pitch

Sanogo is our 3rd choice forward. If anything was to happen to Giroud/Welbeck then Sanogo plays... So he needs the game time.

Campbell on the other hand has a lot of people ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

emmetlego wrote: »

Sorry for quoting myself, but I think people misunderstood what I said earlier. Just to clarify. On last nights performance alone (which I clarified with the swallow comment) he would not be in the top 5/6 forwards in the club. Is that not agreed?

Also, because he is wanted by a lot of clubs apparently, he could be used in a deal to help another club release their "world class" striker to us. That's all I was saying. I didn't say "ship him out" etc.

Sorry, but I thought I made that very clear.

Quick question RE: Red Membership

Gonna try get my first couple of tickets on the membership tomorrow for the Stoke game. What time do the tickets go on general sale? Also the ticket site has been telling me they've been undergoing maintenance the last few days, anyone else getting this?

Defo isn't that. As far as i know you start of on 3 stars. Most mods I see are 4 or 5 and I've never seen a one. Just curious cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Defo is that.

1-100 posts = 1 Star, (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057339163 user with 95 posts on one star)
    100-500 = 2 Stars
    500+ = 3 stars

Mods = 4 Stars in some cases 5 , not sure why
    Administrator = 5 stars

• Advertisement

Number of posts I think

1-100 - 1 star
    100-1000 - 2 stars
    1000-10000 3 stars

and so on