Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Paris St-Germain v Chelsea
    Manchester City v Barcelona
    Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid
    Juventus v Borussia Dortmund
    Schalke v Real Madrid
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayern Munich
    Arsenal v Monaco
    Basel v Porto

I reckon we would have taken Juve had we won the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nice – first leg is after Leicester and before Crystal Palace,

Second leg is after QPR and before West Ham – not a lot of travelling

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Nice – first leg is after Leicester and before Crystal Palace,

Second leg is after QPR and before West Ham – not a lot of travelling

Has that been confirmed as there's a lot of possible dates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

When were Arsenal in the quarters last?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Gits_bone wrote: »

probably about 5-6 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

2009/10 we beat Porto - and bendtner scored a hat-trick.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    2009/10 we beat Porto - and bendtner scored a hat-trick.

Jaysus...that's insane. Can't believe it's that long. Well I can considering who ye've drawn, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am not all that interested in the CL as I always felt we were not strong enough to win it in the last lot of years.
    However after this draw I think the Jan transfer window will pose a big problem for the club.
    If we buy a new CB and DM we have a great chance of challenging for the CL so I see this upcoming window as being a big test for Wenger and the Board.

We know the areas we are weak in so lets plug the gaps and challenge for glory.

• Advertisement

Jaysus...that's insane. Can't believe it's that long. Well I can considering who ye've drawn, but still.

Barca/Milan/Bayern/Bayern

I am not all that interested in the CL as I always felt we were not strong enough to win it in the last lot of years.
    However after this draw I think the Jan transfer window will pose a big problem for the club.
    If we buy a new CB and DM we have a great chance of challenging for the CL so I see this upcoming window as being a big test for Wenger and the Board.

Surely it's not just the players though?

The gameplan against the best teams is weak...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will it be hard to find players of the quality we want who aren't cup tied though? Or does that carry over into the knockouts anymore?

I'd never write anyone off for the CL tbh, some of the teams who have won it in the past weren't exactly world class.

Surely it's not just the players though?

The gameplan against the best teams is weak...

Indeed, especially in the EPL.
    But these other problem areas need to be fixed too and if they are confidence, game-plans etc will all follow suit.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Will it be hard to find players of the quality we want who aren't cup tied though? Or does that carry over into the knockouts anymore?

I'd never write anyone off for the CL tbh, some of the teams who have won it in the past weren't exactly world class.

Yeah they're still cup-tied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't think it is... pretty sure one of the years we got Barca was actually a 1/4 final

Edit: think that was 09/10 actually

• Advertisement

There are still players out there who are not cup-tied i'm sure.
    The draw and CL football will attract them too.
    I'm sure Wenger has a list.

I also think that the strongest teams have come through in recent years as money seems to do the talking.

Indeed, especially in the EPL.
    But these other problem areas need to be fixed too and if they are confidence, game-plans etc will all follow suit.

Maybe European teams might not look too deep into league form...a bit like Bayern against Man U last year. Bayern could have hammered them if they didn't show them as much respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

+1,

I remember a few seasons ago probably 2007/08 we got PSV and they knocked us out on away goals I think. It may be a easy draw on paper but it'll be tricky and Monaco haven't conceded a goal in group stages and they only scored 4, but still topped the group....So we've to be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I really think we could make a good run at the Champions League this year. I'd love to go over to the home leg, never been to the Emirates for a European game.

I'd love to get Chelsea and beat them over two legs in the Champions League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

+1,

I remember a few seasons ago probably 2007/08 we got PSV and they knocked us out on away goals I think. It may be a easy draw on paper but it'll be tricky and Monaco haven't conceded a goal in group stages and they only scored 4, but still topped the group....So we've to be very careful.

They've been inconsistent (currently 6th, like us) in the league but did manage to beat the league leaders ,Marseille, yesterday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I also think that the strongest teams have come through in recent years as money seems to do the talking.

Morgan

Schneiderlin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Late to the Party, Get in, thank you Santa

Now I know this **** works I'll be speaking with the Elf tonight, I'm a big fan of Hummels.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Soups123 wrote: »
    Late to the Party, Get in, thank you Santa

Now I know this **** works I'll be speaking with the Elf tonight, I'm a big fan of Hummels.........

Would work fine with Kos probably, but not with Mertesacker (which would happen due to Kos' injuries). They're too slow together.

Fabian Schar from Basel :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If they played in the Europa League, they are not cup-tied for the Champions League so that increases the options.

We can only add three to the squad.

Giroud will be added to replace Zelalem who will be two years at the club in January and can move to List B.

Diaby can be replaced by one new signing, a centre-back?.

Coquelin is on the list but he is homegrown so would have to be replaced by a homegrown player - is Schneiderlin homegrown?

Other than that, the options are Sanogo or Campbell to go out on loan, or Podolski or Rosicky to leave.

A great draw today, is it too much to hope for Basel v Porto in the next round if we manage to get through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Monaco happy!

#ouryear
    #makeusdream
    #wegoagain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Chuffed with that draw, we were due that bit of luck. Former stomping ground for Monsiuer Wenger.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So these are the confirmed dates:

First leg
    Arsenal v Monaco
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015
    Kick-off: 19.45
    Emirates Stadium

Second leg
    Monaco v Arsenal
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015
    Stade Louis II

Very tempted to get a ticket for the home game.

CatInABox wrote: »
    So these are the confirmed dates:

First leg
    Arsenal v Monaco
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015
    Emirates Stadium

Second leg
    Monaco v Arsenal
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015
    Stade Louis II

Very tempted to get a ticket for the home game.
    Some Paddy's Day if we go through on the 17th March.:D

Some Paddy's Day if we go through on the 17th March.:D

I think we will go through by a few goals. I don't know what it is but I just have this feeling that were going to win it this year.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think we will go through by a few goals. I don't know what it is but I just have this feeling that were going to win it this year.

we'll have to go through one of Chelsea, Real, Bayern or Barca.

Easy.

we'll have to go through one of Chelsea, Real, Bayern or Barca.

Easy.

How do you know that? Last 8 is another open draw is it not? We could easily get Basel or Porto in the last 8.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How do you know that? Last 8 is another open draw is it not? We could easily get Basel or Porto in the last 8.

i mean in the final! :)

i mean in the final! :)

Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott will tear them to shreds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Sneeky Bas**** :D

Can fly Dublin to Gatwick on the Wednesday of the Monaco game and fly back the next day for 40 quid. Not bad at all.

Can fly Dublin to Gatwick on the Wednesday of the Monaco game and fly back the next day for 40 quid. Not bad at all.

Problem is they wont be as easy as getting tickets for a Stoke game!

Took me ages to get tickets vs.Bayern last season

Problem is they wont be as easy as getting tickets for a Stoke game!

Took me ages to get tickets vs.Bayern last season

Oh really? I always thought those midweek games weren't too tough to get tickets for.

Oh really? I always thought those midweek games weren't too tough to get tickets for.

Last 16 of UCL tie, with huge potential to go through , changes the goalposts a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Just seen we got monaco now :) happy with that :)

Tough draw for man city :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The away leg is interesting me, flights and accom not too bad but only flight out is Saturday and back Thursday.

What are away tickets like to come by for these types of games?

Difficult for Monaco considering the small stadium they've got

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The away leg is interesting me, flights and accom not too bad but only flight out is Saturday and back Thursday.

What are away tickets like to come by for these types of games?

Depends.

They generally only go on sale to Gold members, then silver and rarely trickle down to red members.

Be that as it may, I managed to get tickets for Dortmund away but couldn't for Anderlecht?? It just depends on how many seats you're allocated.

Also remember Monaco is such an expensive region. I could only imagine what hotel rates would be like during the game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Sky Sports poll best goalkeeper in the world: De Gea 33% Neur 19% Courtouis 17% Lloris 17%

Sorry what!? I know it's all a matter of opinion but some people are so fickle

Sky Sports poll best goalkeeper in the world: De Gea 33% Neur 19% Courtouis 17% Lloris 17%

Sorry what!? I know it's all a matter of opinion but some people are so fickle

Probably only see Neuer from the LadBible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement