Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

October and already we're pinning hopes on making signings next summer. :pac:

Not at all.

You're just spouting nonsense predicting exactly how the year will go. I was just pointing out that your glib remark was inaccurate.

Do you have a wisecrack in regard to that?

gosplan wrote: »
    Not at all.

You're just spouting nonsense predicting exactly how the year will go. I was just pointing out that your glib remark was inaccurate.

Do you have a wisecrack in regard to that?
    How's our first 11 looking compared to the same stage last year? :)

Anyway, with the run of fixtures before christmas even 28/36 points would be pretty much limping along, and I expect 25-29 points.
    How much of what I said do you think is being pessimistic? Just the bit about next summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Anyway, with the run of fixtures before christmas even 28/36 points would be pretty much limping along, and I expect 25-29 points.
    How much of what I said do you think is being pessimistic? Just the bit about next summer?

Button are you sure you are in the right Thread :pac: You never say anything good about the team you support.

It's good that Ozil is injured. How's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Quazzie wrote: »
    We don't need him. We have the Mighty Mesut :rolleyes:

Oops :o

It's all just standard whine tbh.

You're posting as though that's been the case but anyone that looks closely would realise that it's not.

We were top for the first half of last season, that's contrary to your point.

We signed some very good players this summer, that's contrary to your point.

The comment you made is just a clever complaint, that's all.

What do you think will happen differently to what I said?

What do you think will happen differently to what I said?

The sign no one in the summer and the 'rinse and repeat' bit.

A big point as well is that you're alluding to this happening every year but it's totally incorrect about last year.

Basically, we've talksport for this kind of Arsenal analysis, I'm unsure why Arsenal fans would need to produce it.

Sorry, sorry, 1 big signing that doesn't address the main issue.

So it's just a disagreement about next summer, grand.

• Advertisement

Sorry, sorry, 1 big signing that doesn't address the main issue.

So it's just a disagreement about next summer, grand.

We made more than one signing.

I also had another point. Feel free to ignore it though.

We made more than one signing.

I also had another point. Feel free to ignore it though.
    One big one, rest were just replacing what left.

Going back to what I originally said, do you expect more than limping to the new year? Do you expect to sign someone in January? Do you expect better than 4th? The "rinse and repeat" was in reference to the nearly-but-not-quite that's been going on for ages and we've once again resigned ourselves to at this stage of the season.

Going back to what I originally said, do you expect more than limping to the new year? Do you expect to sign someone in January? Do you expect better than 4th? The "rinse and repeat" was in reference to the nearly-but-not-quite that's been going on for ages and we've once again resigned ourselves to at this stage of the season.

Just to show it again
    Scrape along til Christmas, make no signings because a few players will be back, go on a good run til summer, squeeze into 4th, sign **** all in the summer sure didn't we have a great run when we had a full squad, rinse and repeat.

I don't believe your explaination now and I don't think anyone here would really.

I think you we're having a standard moan at Arsenal. You alluded to a false pattern to have a gripe but any analysis shows that your pattern doesn't even hold for one year. Your rinse and repeat comment was clearly intended to refer to the outcomes that were in the same sentence as it rather than the overall notion of underwhelming finishes.

You were clearly trying to say 'this is what happens every year' but you now have to admitt that we don't sign **** all in the summer and we don't limp until Christmas.

Your narrative is not realistic negative, it's just negative.

Like how can you say signing '**** all' is actually signing a few players? It really doesn't contribute.

It's like people saying DMF was our NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!! If you push the matter they say, 'yeah except...'

To answer your questions.

No signings in Jan
    Expect to go on a decent run now, injuries might hurt us over Christmas. Real blow that Ozil is out. Think a few easier games might have done him world of good.
    Hope 3rd or better, depends on city.

It's like people saying DMF was our NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!! If you push the matter they say, 'yeah except...'

Except we had this discussion last week and you tried to claim it was all revisionism when it wasn't.

Go ahead with "standard moan", I'm not arsed arguing it with you. Injuries will be the excuse looking back on this season whatever happens.

So are you thinking 3rd behind City and Chelsea then?

Except we had this discussion last week and you tried to claim it was all revisionism when it wasn't.

Go ahead with "standard moan", I'm not arsed arguing it with you. Injuries will be the excuse looking back on this season whatever happens.

So are you thinking 3rd behind City and Chelsea then?

Ok. So you said at the outset of the summer that DMF was top priority? If you did you were totally wrong. No matter of opinion or anything, just wrong.

The excuse should be there were 1/2 teams better than us. After that it will be our fault.

If you don't want to discuss things then don't post negative inaccuracies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

surely at the start of last summer a dmf was prority? Not knowing at the time of course that verm would be leaving.
    I think most here agreed that a dm and a striker were the main targets for the summer. (before we knew for sure who was leaving/coming in obviously)
    Reading the last few pages it seems to me your just having a "standard moan" at button

fwiw I dont think Ozil out should be all doom and gloom, obviously a loss but time for others to step up to the mark now and nail down their place. Its not as if Ozil was setting the world alight and it will be interesting to see how we cope without him. I hope Campbell gets a bit more playing time for a start.
    It would be far worse if Per or Kos were facing 3 months out

Does anyone else question why Podolski gets picked for the World Cup Winners but can't make our team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think a forward player like Alexis was of a higher priority than a DM this year, although a DM would have been a close second for me. We should have signed a DM because there were several players out there in that position that were available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Does anyone else question why Podolski gets picked for the World Cup Winners but can't make our team?

Give it time. At this rate of injuries, he will start playing regularly, there will be nobody else left!!! :p

• Advertisement

I think a forward player like Alexis was of a higher priority than a DM this year, although a DM would have been a close second for me. We should have signed a DM because there were several players out there in that position that were available.

While im very happy with Sanchez and was delighted when he joined, I dont think he was a priority as such, we badly needed a Costa type finisher and somebody to replace Flam/Arteta
    Should have coughed up for Carvalho although his contract was messy so I can see why they passed on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

not really, he can't make their team either, he's now a squad player for both.

he'll get some starts for arsenal now in the games until xmas, which he was probably always going to get anyway but injuries may guarantee it

remember he was practically gone until that injury to giroud. Joel Campbell as well if anyone stumped up the cash

wonga77 wrote: »
    surely at the start of last summer a dmf was prority? Not knowing at the time of course that verm would be leaving.
    I think most here agreed that a dm and a striker were the main targets for the summer. (before we knew for sure who was leaving/coming in obviously)
    Reading the last few pages it seems to me your just having a "standard moan" at button

No, CB and RB were first. That can't be disputed.

Then take a team who scored 35 goals less than the top 2 but kept more clean sheets and I don't think you can say DMF was more urgent than help up top.

So at worst we got three out of four players.

Fast forward and people are screaming that DMF was no 1 priority. Maybe they don't understand the meaning of the word priority?

Then the notion that we limp along till Christmas and then put in just enough to get 4th. Yeah that has happened but you're missing us leading the table for most of last season and things like the FA cup.

I get than button has a different view on things but I support the team and when someone posts inaccurate Arsenal bashing stuff, I'll pull them up on it. Especially when their cliched untruths get multiple thanks.

Then take a team who scored 35 goals less than the top 2 but kept more clean sheets and I don't think you can say DMF was more urgent than help up top.

Fast forward and people are screaming that DMF was no 1 priority. Maybe they don't understand the meaning of the word priority?

Then the notion that we limp along till Christmas and then put in just enough to get 4th. Yeah that has happened but you're missing us leading the table for most of last season and things like the FA cup.

I get than button has a different view on things but I support the team and when someone posts inaccurate Arsenal bashing stuff, I'll pull them up on it. Especially when their cliched untruths get multiple thanks.
    How can you claim us doing just enough to get 4th is an untruth when we do it every year. I fully believe that Wenger has mastered the formula to get 4th but is unable to make the step from there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me a DM has been a massive priority for a few seasons now.

Also to state your opinion as a fact just makes ya come across a bit of a knob.

Regardless of personnel the way I look at it now we could have the best starting eleven in the league and still not win it, tactics are our biggest issue yes we roll over lesser teams but in the majority of the big games we are the lesser team and a team that just gets brushed aside.

We have a serious bottling issue to we couldn't even bear the worst United side I've ever seen last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

CB and RB were only necessary because we allowed players to leave. They weren't signings to add to the squad.

I think we signed good players this summer but it fell short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

CB and RB were only necessary because we allowed players to leave. They weren't signings to add to the squad.

I think we signed good players this summer but it fell short.

The incoming players were improvements on the departees though. Vermaelen hadn't been at the races for a while, and although Sagna was a great full-back, he was getting on and with replaced him with the guy who is keeping him out of the French national team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

greendom wrote: »
    The incoming players were improvements on the departees though. Vermaelen hadn't been at the races for a while, and although Sagna was a great full-back, he was getting on and with replaced him with the guy who is keeping him out of the French national team

Who exactly did we bring in to replace Vermaelen?? That's not what Chambers was intended for and if it was he certainly isn't an improvement on Vermaelen (Yes he lost his form) but Verm is still a top class CB with a lot of Exp.

I really like Chambers but his inexperience and countless yellow cards are already costing us. As for Debuchy and Sagna it's debatable who's better. Sanchez and Welbeck were great business no doubt. But DM was a must, Gos saying that we scored 35 less goals but kept more clean sheets so strikers were needed more is a bit silly.

A great DM doesn't just sit there protecting the goal he allows the strikers wingers CAM etc to get forward and sometimes even stay forward, he protects the back 4 covers for the full backs distributes the ball excellently gives the team confidence and intimates the opposition, it would give Arsenal a strong core thus improving our over all game a lot more than a Danny Welbeck would.

Also neglecting the defensive issue's is another rinse and repeat trait of Wenger's, there are far too many, Gos you got annoyed that alot of people thanked Button's post but there is a reason for that, you'll find the majority of the people on here are sick of the same old sh1t, you can twist and turn it anyway you want, starting the season well or clawing back the points near the end, finishing 1st in our group and losing to Barca in the last 16 or finishing 2nd and losing to them in the last 32, it doesn't matter what way it happens, we still come 4th we still get knocked out we still need more cover we still get the injuries we still lose great players etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Can we rename the thread and drop the 2014/15 .
    cos its more or less the same issues and excuses from Arsene that we had last year and the year before and the year before.....

Who exactly did we bring in to replace Vermaelen?? That's not what Chambers was intended for and if it was he certainly isn't an improvement on Vermaelen (Yes he lost his form) but Verm is still a top class CB with a lot of Exp.

I really like Chambers but his inexperience and countless yellow cards are already costing us. As for Debuchy and Sagna it's debatable who's better. Sanchez and Welbeck were great business no doubt. But DM was a must, Gos saying that we scored 35 less goals but kept more clean sheets so strikers were needed more is a bit silly.

A great DM doesn't just sit there protecting the goal he allows the strikers wingers CAM etc to get forward and sometimes even stay forward, he protects the back 4 covers for the full backs distributes the ball excellently gives the team confidence and intimates the opposition, it would give Arsenal a strong core thus improving our over all game a lot more than a Danny Welbeck would.

Also neglecting the defensive issue's is another rinse and repeat trait of Wenger's, there are far too many, Gos you got annoyed that alot of people thanked Button's post but there is a reason for that, you'll find the majority of the people on here are sick of the same old sh1t, you can twist and turn it anyway you want, starting the season well or clawing back the points near the end, finishing 1st in our group and losing to Barca in the last 16 or finishing 2nd and losing to them in the last 32, it doesn't matter what way it happens, we still come 4th we still get knocked out we still need more cover we still get the injuries we still lose great players etc etc.

The bottom line in that regard is that I'm happier seeing Chambers in the starting line-up than Vermaelen. Certainly the Vermaelen we had to put up with over the last couple of seasons. Debuchy is as good as Sagna defensively and better from an attacking perspective, not to mention younger. With Sagna's 2 leg breaks recently he is almost certainly on the wane

That is not to say we are still criminally short defensively but we were talking about replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

100% that can be disputed, they only became a priority when the personal left, coming into the summer a DM and a CF was critical.

RB we had Sagna, Jenks & Bellerin
    CB we had Mert, Kos & Verm

the club allowed Verm to leave so created the prioirty there. Sagna they had no control over unless they loaded him with money but that was there decision not too.

So to say it can't be disputed is wrong. There is no reason why there cant be 3/4 priorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I disagree.

We got €15m for Vermaelen, paid about the same for Chambers up front.

We replaced an injury-prone player who hasn't played for a long time, and is still to make his debut for Barcelona with a young player who is about to make his debut for England and could be at Arsenal for the next 15 years. Very good business.

I doubt Vermaelen will ever play consistent top-level football again.

Godge wrote: »
    I disagree.

We got €15m for Vermaelen, paid about the same for Chambers up front.

We replaced an injury-prone player who hasn't played for a long time, and is still to make his debut for Barcelona with a young player who is about to make his debut for England and could be at Arsenal for the next 15 years. Very good business.

I doubt Vermaelen will ever play consistent top-level football again.

In the long term he will be better for us but you can say that about any decent young player brought in to replace an out of form veteran, Vermaelen would have been excellent for us to have at CB instead of Mert against Chelsea,Dortmund etc he could also have done a job as CDM and at LB and Jenks prob wouldn't have been loaned out.

I think people seriously tend to forget just how good TV is, he got a few injuries and was forced out of the team by a good defensive partnership, you can't judge him on the last 2 years because they have been hell for the player, an in-form Verm is better than any of our options even Kosc who i love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Cant wait for 2015/16 season to start,
    we will be in a great position once all the injuries have cleared up and the latest Southampton talent we pinched has developed as well as the arrival of next summers French foreign exchange student . :D

In the long term he will be better for us but you can say that about any decent young player brought in to replace an out of form veteran, Vermaelen would have been excellent for us to have at CB instead of Mert against Chelsea,Dortmund etc he could also have done a job as CDM and at LB and Jenks prob wouldn't have been loaned out.

I think people seriously tend to forget just how good TV is, he got a few injuries and was forced out of the team by a good defensive partnership, you can't judge him on the last 2 years because they have been hell for the player, an in-form Verm is better than any of our options even Kosc who i love.

How good TV was. He was a liability before he got replaced by Kos the season before last

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Maybe I'm reading these posts wrong or missing something here ...

Arsene Wenger said he would replace Vermaelen if he left ... we had already signed Chambers.

He also said that he would like a defensive midfielder and Gazidas said that after signing Sanchez there was still negotiations in progress and that they would still have a busy summer.

I posted here that a good friend of mine with connections to a player in the Premiership had been told we were in the market for one of two DMF and also a deadline day big offer for Reus - the same guy told me that both Cesc and Nasri were leaving and that RvP would not renew his contract. That's just rumour until proven - but something did change within Arsenal - no DMF and no cover for Vermaelen.

Did anyone pass any remarks of Arsene's "financial" remark after last Sunday's game ?

I personally think we missed out on an oppertunity to strengthen and allow players to leave. How is it that Rosicky and Arteta have been offered extensions to their contracts ? A few years ago Bergkamp, Pires and Gilberto Silva were not afforded the same option. I believe Kroenke pulled the plug on further spending - my honest opinion.

We will see in January - but - we need cover at centre back and a defensive midfielder and anyone who believes we don't cannot seriously think we will challenge either Chelsea or City or make a serious challenge for the Champions Lge.

An offer for Reus would have been a serious statement of intent - however we would have had to lose Podolski, Campbell, Rosicky, Arteta and possibly Cazorla to change our midfield and forward formation.

We are just two to three players away from being up there - but they are key players and will be expensive with wage demands to match. I don't see it happening but I do see Utd buying what they need - and unfortunately we may see Ozil, Kos, Ramsey etc being tempted by Europe's elite in the next one or two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not a chance Vermaelan is better than Kos. In my opinion he is one of the best centre backs in the world. Amazing reader of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Do you think it would be worth waiting for him to get back to the level you think he was at?

Replacing Verm with Chambers was excellent business in the summer on what we have seen so far.

The failure was the inability to back that up with some cover.

• Advertisement

How good TV was. He was a liability before he got replaced by Kos the season before last

It takes time to get back to your best form, Verm was not given that time.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Not a chance Vermaelan is better than Kos. In my opinion he is one of the best centre backs in the world. Amazing reader of the game.

Agreed, but again in-form Verm is better imo.
    Do you think it would be worth waiting for him to get back to the level you think he was at?

Yes.
    Soups123 wrote: »
    Replacing Verm with Chambers was excellent business in the summer on what we have seen so far.

The failure was the inability to back that up with some cover.

We didn't replace him with Chambers, we didn't replace him full stop.

We didn't replace him with Chambers, we didn't replace him full stop.

We did really, even though we signed Chambers first and then sold Verm, he is the replacement of Verm.

The failure was to bring in CB cover number 4.

It takes time to get back to your best form, Verm was not given that time.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had Wenger kept picking him in the hope that his form would recover leaving an in-form Koscielny on the bench, I wonder what the reaction on here would be. Vermaelen was 3rd choice for a reason and while Kos and Merts were fit, he didn't deserve a place on the team (except when he had to cover at full back)

Soups123 wrote: »
    We did really, even though we signed Chambers first and then sold Verm, he is the replacement of Verm.

The failure was to bring in CB cover number 4.

Chambers was bought for his versatility, he's playing CB in the games that he has to, his main thing for me was defo to cover Debuchy, as putting Jenks on loan doesn't make sense if that wasn't the case.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had Wenger kept picking him in the hope that his form would recover leaving an in-form Koscielny on the bench, I wonder what the reaction on here would be. Vermaelen was 3rd choice for a reason and while Kos and Merts were fit, he didn't deserve a place on the team (except when he had to cover at full back)

Why would we leave Kosc on the bench? Leave that statue Mert on the bench and play Kosc with Verm, Mert is a liability imo and is getting away with murder because Kosc keeps saving his ass. It's a pointless discussion to have really, you didn't think Verm was good enough i did. We have bigger issues now :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why would we leave Kosc on the bench? Leave that statue Mert on the bench and play Kosc with Verm, Mert is a liability imo and is getting away with murder because Kosc keeps saving his ass. It's a pointless discussion to have really, you didn't think Verm was good enough i did. We have bigger issues now :(

Verm and koscielny were ****e together every time they played. Both players were more effective when paired with Mert.

• Advertisement

Chambers was bought for his versatility, he's playing CB in the games that he has to, his main thing for me was defo to cover Debuchy, as putting Jenks on loan doesn't make sense if that wasn't the case.

Jenks on loan makes no sense at all, unless Wenger has given up on him with bellerin coming through.

Chambers is CB, full stop yes he can cover RB but 100% his future lies at CB, given Arsene the credit for knowing this and not just realising later.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Verm and koscielny were ****e together every time they played. Both players were more effective when paired with Mert.

Verm was ****e paired with anyone in the last year or so, he just looked better compared to Mert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Verm was ****e paired with anyone in the last year or so, he just looked better compared to Mert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Bob - you're talking S***e there, Yes BGF is slow and he can be caught against speedy wingers/strikers...but he has been immense along with Kos...he uses his loooong legs and height very well....Kos has good reading of game and speed...so both compliment each other...where as Verm was a sucker to the ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bzf5SPqCEAAlCKg.jpg

New crest has been announced!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement