Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

omega man wrote: »
    Exactly, at CB and not RB. Debuchy is our first choice RB and so he should play there unless there are no CBs available.

I really think if we recalled Jenks and signed a backup for Kos, we don't need any other players.

Then we need a DMF - raid Dortmund in the summer!!!

Icing in the cake would be a world class striker. But as we've seen, improvements on Giroud aren't that easy to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Pool almost won the league last season without any world class players bar Suarez. I want us challenging right up to May at least. I don't think we need to spend anywhere near 200m to do that.

But he was a 35 a season striker, we don't have that. We could get 3rd to be honest. I can't see us not been beaten anytime we go away from home. I think we need some serious spending but some like yourself will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think chambers needs a break now, he is after playing wAy too much football for his first season

I would stick bellerin in or even Monreal at CB just to give the young man a break

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

gosplan wrote: »
    I really think if we recalled Jenks and signed a backup for Kos, we don't need any other players.

Then we need a DMF - raid Dortmund in the summer!!!

Icing in the cake would be a world class striker. But as we've seen, improvements on Giroud aren't that easy to find.

Can we recall Jenks in January?

Looper007 wrote: »
    But he was a 35 a season striker, we don't have that. We could get 3rd to be honest. I can't see us not been beaten anytime we go away from home. I think we need some serious spending but some like yourself will disagree.

It can be hard for a team losing a focal point like Suarez. It has an impact on how you approach the game and adjustment isn't so easy. So you see them knocked out of the CL group and struggling to compete for 4th.

Kind of makes the last decade of Wenger look good though.

• Advertisement

I think we should sign cabaye on loan in January

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I spend £1600 a year on a season ticket.

I am in relative terms a football illiterate.

But I have seen Arsenal's weaknesses for the last number of years.

And We are terrible down the spine.

And We have no leader like we had years ago.

I am sick of excuses. That team in west London always seem to manage to sort out their problems whether it be January or summer.

Skirtel ...really no one looking to mark him... Zonal shot.

Spend the money Arsene. Or please let someone else. But no excuses or broken back signings.

Pudders wrote: »
    I spend £1600 a year on a season ticket.

I am in relative terms a football illiterate.

But I have seen Arsenal's weaknesses for the last number of years.

And We are terrible down the spine.

And We have no leader like we had years ago.

I am sick of excuses. That team in west London always seem to manage to sort out their problems whether it be January or summer.

Skirtel ...really no one looking to mark him... Zonal shot.

Spend the money Arsene. Or please let someone else. But no excuses or broken back signings.

This is a really good point.

I'd like to add that I do not spend money on a season ticket.

As such I think getting outraged isn't really justified.

I fully agree with Pudders point of view though. Those that pay thousands for tickets don't have to accept the notion of building slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In relative terms yere better then those yere fighting for 4th with.

Yere much better than Southampton, West Ham, and better than Liverpool and Spurs.

A fully fit arsenal squad is dangerous and should be 4th at the very least by the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is a really good point.

I'd like to add that I do not spend money on a season ticket.

As such I think getting outraged isn't really justified.

I fully agree with Pudders point of view though. Those that pay thousands for tickets don't have to accept the notion of building slowly.

I wouldn't count season ticket as justification, I get over twice maybe three times a season with my two lads and that costs a lot more than £1600!

We all accepted the rebuild but now there are very few justifications as to why we hold back and fans will start again to demand answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We just havent got the players anymore. 3 genuine world class players in our whole squad whereas back in our glory years under Wenger we had world class players all over the pitch. I may get slated for this but, Chesney, Mert, Gibbs, Santi, Ox, Welbeck, Giroud, Flamini, Arteta, Wilshere just arent consistent enough imo. They throw in one or two great games in every ten but are just bang average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GavRedKing wrote: »

Yere much better than Southampton, West Ham, and better than Liverpool and Spurs.

A fully fit arsenal squad is dangerous and should be 4th at the very least by the end of May.

So you think that splashing the cash on Ozil and Sanchez and still finishing bloody 4th is ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Stop making me not hate Chelsea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So you think that splashing the cash on Ozil and Sanchez and still finishing bloody 4th is ok then?

Well when you consider what the 2/3 teams likely to finish above us spend, then it's about right. Not what we want, but don't use the money argument.

Well when you consider what the 2/3 teams likely to finish above us spend, then it's about right. Not what we want, but don't use the money argument.

I know. We're threading water for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I know. We're threading water for years.

I think we have been very unlucky with injuries also. I mean our 3 most dangerous players havent even been on the pitch at the same time (Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott). Sure Theo and Ozil have only played a handful of games together in over a year. We have to try and get to the bottom of why our players constantly pick up injuries every few weeks, no team could cope with the amount we get.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think we have been very unlucky with injuries also. I mean our 3 most dangerous players havent even been on the pitch at the same time (Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott). Sure Theo and Ozil have only played a handful of games together in over a year. We have to try and get to the bottom of why our players constantly pick up injuries every few weeks, no team could cope with the amount we get.

I know.
    It's like deja vous in here again though.

No but City Utd and Chelsea can buy both an Ozil or Sanchez in one season as well as other top talent.

Unfortunately not everything is equal in football but yere league position isnt reflective of the talent in the squad but yeve been crippled with injuries. After xmas with everyone back ye can easily push on and if the others slip up, and we will, theres no way the 3 teams in the top 4 will keep up the pace and for the chasing pack yere well advanced of them in money and squad position.

No but City Utd and Chelsea can buy both an Ozil or Sanchez in one season as well as other top talent.

Unfortunately not everything is equal in football but yere league position isnt reflective of the talent in the squad but yeve been crippled with injuries. After xmas with everyone back ye can easily push on and if the others slip up, and we will, theres no way the 3 teams in the top 4 will keep up the pace and for the chasing pack yere well advanced of them in money and squad position.

But it's not just the players, it's the mentality. We're fragile at best. Just look at our results against any team that counts.

But it's not just the players, it's the mentality. We're fragile at best. Just look at our results against any team that counts.

True but as been poi ted out arsenal are missing 4 or 5 1st team players and at least 2 if not 3 of those are leaders in Kos, Arteta and Ramsey.

3 of those on the pitch, especailly Kos at the end and Skrtel probably doesnt get a free header or at least a free run at it and down to 10 men, Arsenal see the game out.

Only city and chelsea have been somewhat consistent this year. Look at Utd they put together 6 wins and are now looking clear cut for at least a top 4 finish, if Arsenal do the same in the next 4 - 6 weeks during a difficult and busy period theyll be right up there for 3rd and 4th and maybe more, other results depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

its not. its unacceptable and soon ozil and sanchez will leave

its not. its unacceptable and soon ozil and sanchez will leave

I cant see it really. Barring a huge collapse and Arsenal finish outside top 4 which IMO, theyll get once everyone is back. Weve not had an injury crisis in years but our main cog misses one game (matic) and we lost.

Big players missing will cripple any team no matter how good they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I'm just not impressed with welbeck, it's just another average signing costing 16 million.

Will give one good game every four.

Too many average players in this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

yipeeeee wrote: »
    I'm just not impressed with welbeck, it's just another average signing costing 16 million.

Oh ffs give him a season at least!

€16m is nothing in today's world of football he has done okay for a player if that expense, give him time before calling him out.

Remember the firsts seasons of Giroud, Kos, Ramsey, Henry, Pires etc etc

Give him til end of next season and call him out then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He cost £16M. In the grand scheme of things he is currently playing at that level. If he progresses next year then it'll be a bargain. Personally I think he has reached his level and will stay at that. I'm not stating that as fact, I just think he is at his level now.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Oh ffs give him a season at least!

I've seen enough of him through the years.

What was up with Alexis today, looked totally somewhere else.

Could be his lady trouble.

Or. Could be just a bad game he was due one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I cant see it really. Barring a huge collapse and Arsenal finish outside top 4 which IMO, theyll get once everyone is back. Weve not had an injury crisis in years but our main cog misses one game (matic) and we lost.

Big players missing will cripple any team no matter how good they are.

What makes you think they will get everyone back. Have they ever not had injury problems.

He wasn't on his own today.
    Very few shone, maybe Cazorla and Chez but I can't think of another who played well. It was dismal.

Or. Could be just a bad game he was due one

I'm not having a go.

His head didn't seem there, was just pointing it out.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What makes you think they will get everyone back. Have they ever not had injury problems.

Yep before Xmas last season we were flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

These stats say alot about our performance today. For a change I dont totally blame Wenger for the moves he made but the players dont seem to give a toss anymore and I wonder is it a lack of faith in him?

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/546726474888544256

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/546727719703420928

niallo27 wrote: »

I think theyre all due back in the next 2weeks some sooner than others but someone will have to confirm.

Of the chasing pack, theyre the best equipped to make top 4, IMO of course and thats if we say City and Chelsea are certs for it and Utd have ground ourlt results while playing poor and still occupy 3rd. 4th is between about 4 or 5 teams and S'oton, West ham wont last the course, again, IMO. So that leaves Arsenal spurs and Liverpool. If i was betting my money would be on north london, the red half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Probably, actually definitely, but i'm still in the pro-Wenger camp. He gambled during the summer, and it has backfired badly. But i still think he's a brilliant coach and manager. Klopp has shown that he's not quite the messiah. And i'm not sure who else i'd fancy taking over. The injury problem this season has just been horrendous.

Wenger in!

Am I crazy? Like I remember clearly being very concerned when Henry missed a match ... But it wasn't that often. Maybe a bit more in his last couple of years.

I am not excusing Wenger his mistakes but it's

Best defender, best DMF, best CMF, best AMF.

Yes we should be able to cope with a single CB injured.

But no team in the world can absorb a loss down their spine like that

Terry - Matic - Oscar - Fabregas
    Kompany - Fernandinho - Yaya - Silva

How great would that Barca side been without Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta

We constantly get the line 'oh well Jose would just go and buy Matic'.

What would Jose do with the above?

This doesn't account for Walcott and Wilshire either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Am I crazy? Like I remember clearly being very concerned when Henry missed a match ... But it wasn't that often. Maybe a bit more in his last couple of years.

I am not excusing Wenger his mistakes but it's

Best defender, best DMF, best CMF, best AMF.

Yes we should be able to cope with a single CB injured.

But no team in the world can absorb a loss down their spine like that

Terry - Matic - Oscar - Fabregas
    Kompany - Fernandinho - Yaya - Silva

How great would that Barca side been without Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta

We constantly get the line 'oh well Jose would just go and buy Matic'.

What would Jose do with the above?

This doesn't account for Walcott and Wilshire either.
    Wenger failed to prepare properly for the season ahead, as he has done every year for the last numerous years. Players always get injured. To have no plan B is the problem

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wenger failed to prepare properly for the season ahead, as he has done every year for the last numerous years. Players always get injured. To have no plan B is the problem

There's more to it that that though. Our luck (or other mysterious reason) with injuries has been just laughable.

No team can absorb those injuries and not suffer. No team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Injuries can only be used for so long for me. City arent blessed with luck in the injury department with Aguero, Silva and Kompany always missing a lot of time and they cope very well as they have adequate replacements, sadly we do not and that falls at the managers door.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Injuries can only be used for so long for me. City arent blessed with luck in the injury department with Aguero, Silva and Kompany always missing a lot of time and they cope very well as they have adequate replacements, sadly we do not and that falls at the managers door.

City can afford to spend 30million on bench warmers. Thats a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

City can afford to spend 30million on bench warmers. Thats a big difference.

We can afford adequte replacements, we dont need to match city but we can do better than Mert/Arteta/Flamini with similar money spent on them 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I like mertesacker as a guy. He's intelligent, funny and decent. I'd like to think that me and per could be mates, enjoy a spot of fishing on a bank holiday Monday, or meet up on a Friday after work for a few nice beers with the lads.
    But he's been absolutely dog**** since the world cup, and for any club with our resources he'd be dropped.
    Per, sort yourself out.
    It really is negligence that we can't drop him because we literally only have two cb's. We need two more in January. Why we didn't pick up a cb in the summer vexes me.
    Not that I blame per for our continued ****ness this season. He's merely a cog in the machine of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Pool almost won the league last season without any world class players bar Suarez. I want us challenging right up to May at least. I don't think we need to spend anywhere near 200m to do that.

almost, but didn't.

Raf32 wrote: »
    We can afford adequte replacements, we dont need to match city but we can do better than Mert/Arteta/Flamini with similar money spent on them 3.

People need to chill out on the Mert hate.

Don't remember too many saying that

A: Verm should have played instead of him last season
    B: we should have upgraded him in the summer

We needed a 4th CB in the summer. We started the year with our best Czb pairing for a decade.

Well that was absolutely pathetic.

Well that was absolutely pathetic.

Debuchy in the middle
    Mert without Kos
    Chambers wide
    Flamini
    Welbeck on the wing

That's not better than Liverpool's team.

Also half injured Ox playing in a new position. High hopes for him, his physicality might be great there but yesterday not his best day.

Going into the game you could say you we're happy about Caz, Giroud, Gibbs and Santi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

wonga77 wrote: »
    These stats say alot about our performance today. For a change I dont totally blame Wenger for the moves he made but the players dont seem to give a toss anymore and I wonder is it a lack of faith in him?

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/546726474888544256

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/546727719703420928

how about when barca played us a few times?

am sure they had like 70% possesion when we played them at the nuo camp with 10 men

how about when barca played us a few times?

am sure they had like 70% possesion when we played them at the nuo camp with 10 men

I'm not saying we played very well but those stats are the result of two major changes in Wenger's outlook.

1: having two players like Welbeck and Sanchez who lose the ball a lot

2: focussing on defending rather than attacking for a tricky away match, especially in the first half where we played with 2 DMFs

People have been going mental at Wenger for years to get a bit of physicality in and stop passing it side to side. People have been going mental because we don't focus on the defensive aide of things in tough away games.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The worst thing about yesterday was missing all those corners. Criminal with Liverpool's defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

He can't be top class in every game. It was his worse game for us though. Although he did notch up another assist.

I think even if we sign the players we need, the problems won't go away. It's really deep rooted and it's at the feet of Wenger. He's not a Defensive minded coach, you can tell that with the players he signs. I think we need to strap in for two more years of struggle and Wenger crappy excuses. It's not going to change, its been happening for the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement