Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

gosplan wrote: »
    Explain please. Germany conceded 4 goals in the tournament.

How exactly was Mert shown to be 'poor'?

I spose the fact that he was dropped and didnt regain his place? From what I remember he was shaky enough in the group stages. Think he got a token gesture of an appearance in the final with 10 seconds remaining. You seem to take some things so seriously sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He wasn't playing in the big Germany games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Chelsea stroll to an easy win at Stoke, further highlighting how bad our performance there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Chelsea stroll to an easy win at Stoke, further highlighting how bad our performance there was.

To be fair. they didn't "stroll" as you put it, they got their second by Lord Voldermort near the end by Stoke pushing for the equaliser, before that Stoke came very close indeed. Not taking away how bad our 1st half against Stoke was, but to say they strolled is a massive exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Chelsea got beat by Newcastle the week before we whupped them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

emmetlego wrote: »
    To be fair. they didn't "stroll" as you put it, they got their second by Lord Voldermort near the end by Stoke pushing for the equaliser, before that Stoke came very close indeed. Not taking away how bad our 1st half against Stoke was, but to say they strolled is a massive exaggeration.

Stoke only had long range efforts we didnt stroll but it was never close.

When we went 1 up it was always going to be very difficult for any team to get back into it.

Costa also missed 2 1on1's it could have easily been more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Chelsea got beat by Newcastle the week before we whupped them.

They lost away from home, we beat Newcastle at home. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

They lost away from home, we beat Newcastle at home. Big difference.

Chelsea have a much better team than us.. Bigger difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

wonga77 wrote: »
    I spose the fact that he was dropped and didnt regain his place? From what I remember he was shaky enough in the group stages. Think he got a token gesture of an appearance in the final with 10 seconds remaining. You seem to take some things so seriously sometimes

He didn't do that badly, he was just the 3rd best CB in Germany.

I probably take too much seriously but people just throw things out there as fact like 'he was shown up to be poor'.

I've a problem with that.

I've a problem with a lot of the stuff (not you) here at the moment. It seems to me like people just want to complain and will happily just pick whatever they want - regardless of whatever narrative they had been taking the week before.

'We should focus on defending in big away games'

'FFS 30% possession WTF'

'What the hell are we doing attacking when we don't need to and leaving ourselves open'

'FFS, We should be going for the third goal to kill off this game in injury time'

'Finally we have a good CB pairing'

'FFS, We should have replaced Mert in the summer'

And the the never ending tirade of 'Oh, Jose would have done this', 'Oh Chelsea would have won that game'.

Chelsea have spent 100million a year for a decade. We've spent 50 million a year for two years in a row.

Jose is perhaps the best manager in the history of the world.

Wenger has gotten us here but people have disappeared down this well of just having a go over anything. It bothers me when people are being deliberate disingenuous or just posting stuff they make up or assume.

Germany had been playing with 3CB's, Hummels, Mert and Howdes wide. Then Hummels got sick for the Algeria game, Howdes came central and did well, Boateng came in and did well. When Hummels came back, Mert made way for him.

It annoys me that you can just throw 'Mert was shown to be poor in there'

They conceded three times while he was on the pitch.

Once was Lahm's fault. Another was after 121 mins when they were 2-0 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He didn't do that badly, he was just the 3rd best CB in Germany.

I probably take too much seriously but people just throw things out there as fact like 'he was shown up to be poor'.

I've a problem with that.

I've a problem with a lot of the stuff (not you) here at the moment. It seems to me like people just want to complain and will happily just pick whatever they want - regardless of whatever narrative they had been taking the week before.

'We should focus on defending in big away games'

'FFS 30% possession WTF'

'What the hell are we doing attacking when we don't need to and leaving ourselves open'

'FFS, We should be going for the third goal to kill off this game in injury time'

'Finally we have a good CB pairing'

'FFS, We should have replaced Mert in the summer'

And the the never ending tirade of 'Oh, Jose would have done this', 'Oh Chelsea would have won that game'.

Chelsea have spent 100million a year for a decade. We've spent 50 million a year for two years in a row.

Jose is perhaps the best manager in the history of the world.

Wenger has gotten us here but people have disappeared down this well of just having a go over anything. It bothers me when people are being deliberate disingenuous or just posting stuff they make up or assume.

Germany had been playing with 3CB's, Hummels, Mert and Howdes wide. Then Hummels got sick for the Algeria game, Howdes came central and did well, Boateng came in and did well. When Hummels came back, Mert made way for him.

It annoys me that you can just throw 'Mert was shown to be poor in there'

They conceded three times while he was on the pitch.

Once was Lahm's fault. Another was after 121 mins when they were 2-0 up.

We have a good CB pairing and we have a good midfield pairing (arteta & Ramsey)

The problem is take out two players ( Ramsey & kos) what was a very good pairing turns into two distinctly average individuals

I think what we need is find two players who will pair very well with Kos and Ramsey but will be actually just as good
    When there without two boys

I can't see anyone here saying per is bad with kos but by God he is completely lost without him

When he is your captain and leader of a team it's fair game to crisitise, not good enough that he turns into a liabilty without one player beside him

We have a good CB pairing and we have a good midfield pairing (arteta & Ramsey)

The problem is take out two players ( Ramsey & kos) what was a very good pairing turns into two distinctly average individuals

I think what we need is find two players who will pair very well with Kos and Ramsey but will be actually just as good
    When there without two boys

I can't see anyone here saying per is bad with kos but by God he is completely lost without him

When he is your captain and leader of a team it's fair game to crisitise, not good enough that he turns into a liabilty without one player beside him

100% agree.

But let's criticise for what's happening now rather than revising the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone watching the world cup could have spotted Per was a liability for the German team. Made so many mistakes that went unpunished. Only those with their Arsenal hats on would say otherwise. Once they rid him, they looked stable again, he had lost the confidence of the coach. Any non Arsenal fan will share that opinion.

100% agree.

But let's criticise for what's happening now rather than revising the past.

This is where I fully agree with you

Like the wenger debate s few weeks back when there were dismissing his past glories because he is struggling now

Raf32 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the world cup could have spotted Per was a liability for the German team. Made so many mistakes that went unpunished. Only those with their Arsenal hats on would say otherwise. Once they rid him, they looked stable again, he had lost the confidence of the coach. Any non Arsenal fan will share that opinion.

These are literally the first ratings I could find to copy and paste. All different sites and other defs left for comparison.

He was not shown to be poor.

Vrs Portugal

Germany
    Manuel Neuer
    Made two crucial early saves from Hugo Almeida and Ronaldo and then had little to do as Germany dominated the game. 7/10
    Jérôme Boateng
    The former Manchester City defender coped well with Ronaldo in the first-half before being handed the less onerous task of shackling Nani. 6
    Per Mertesacker
    Given little to worry about by the one-dimensional Almeida and kept it tight at the back for the well-protected Neuer. 7
    Mats Hummels
    Limped out of the game with a knee injury in the second half after giving Germany a 2-0 lead with a towering header. 8
    Benedikt Höwedes
    The full-back gave Germany penetration down the right but could have conceded a penalty for challenge on Eder. 6
    Philipp Lahm
    Does for Germany what Andrea Pirlo does for Italy, but in a more functional manner. Never loses the ball, though. 7

Vrs Ghana

Manuel Neuer: 1.5 – Neuer was arguably the most consistent performer on the field for Germany. He saved everything he could and even had a great moment for the highlight reel with this goalkeeper clearance. It could have easily ended with three points for Ghana were it not for Neuer’s controlled and dominant performance in goal.
    Jerome Boateng: 3 – It was only 45 minutes of football for Germany’s right-back as he had to be replaced at half-time due to muscular problems. In the first half Boateng was defensively solid but was not very much involved going forward. He held his line well and made some good clearances. Nothing spectacular but nothing memorable either.
    Per Mertesacker: 3 – Solid but not spectacular from the tall center-back. He won the team’s most clearances and moved the ball out of the back without any issue. He failed to make any real impact on set pieces though and could have been in a better position on Ghana’s second goal.
    Mats Hummels: 3 – Like Mertesacker, Hummels did little wrong and was constrained by the pressure of the Ghanian forwards. Unlike the first game, he was also unable to make an impact on set pieces but was calm under pressure and made some crucial interceptions as legs tired in the second half.
    Benedikt Höwedes: 3 - In the first half Höwedes was specifically targeted by Ghana with a lot of the space opening up there but the left side stabilized as the game wore on and as everyone’s legs got tired, Höwedes remained disciplined and was always quick to make a tackle or interception.
    Philipp Lahm: 3 – Not the best performance from the Germany captain. Most notably his misspass kickstarted Ghana’s attack for the 2-1. Overall he kept possession of the ball well but had little influence on the game given Ghana’s quick and physically strong performance. Was outmuscled a bit too easy at times.
    - See more at: http://bundesligafanatic.com/player-ratings-germany-vs-ghana/#sthash.P6Ly6nLm.dpuf

Vrs USA

Germany

Manuel Neuer: 5/10
    Neuer had a nice runout in the rain, having absolutely nothing to do.
    Jerome Boateng: 6/10
    Boateng got up the right flank purposefully, but most of his crosses were dealt with effectively by the US defenders.
    Per Mertesacker: 6/10
    Mertesacker was barely tested by a poor US offensive unit. It was his header that Howard palmed into Muller’s path for the German to slam home.
    Mats Hummels: 7/10
    Hummels was his usual self. Calm, composed and assured in possession, Hummels made regular forays into the US half, and tried his best to pick out his team-mates in space.
    Benedikt Howedes: 6/10
    Howedes was rather quiet. He tried to get up the flank, but his efforts were in vain in the first half, as he was playing alongside Lukas Podolski who was woeful.

Vrs Algeria

Manuel Neuer 8 - Was terrific in goal, coming out and slide tackling three times to stop potential goal chances. Had to get them right otherwise it could have been an awkward three goals conceded.

Shkodran Mustafi 5 - Didn’t provide a large amount to the team and his crosses were particularly poor.

Per Mertesacker 6 - Stayed fairly solid at the back but let in the Algerian attack far too often.

Jerome Boateng 7 - Like Mertesacker, let in the Algerian attack often due to a high defensive line, but played well and nearly grabbed a goal.

Benedikt Höwedes 5 - Made no mistakes but didn’t offer anything else to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Soups123 wrote: »
    You said before the game we would win comfortably and we didnt.

The team that played yesterday played poorly yet you have no doubts in your mind if we played them at home we would win? Having watch us this season and continous failing to deliver in many big games in prior season you are somehow convinced that its a gimme?

This team is capable of beating, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, United, Spurs, Everton etc. on its day but on each of the last times we played all of these we failed to win. Some we havent beaten in a long time......

You are constant negative. Moan moan and moan. We would beat Liverpool at home. Don't like reading do you.

We drew with City and played well for larger part of the game, lost away at Chelsea (many teams do), Spurs Everton and Liverpool games we played badly. But still drew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ratings are very subjective, if we went back and watched the games 9/10 of us here would have to admit he looked out of his depth against anyone half decent. Why was he dropped so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ratings are very subjective, if we went back and watched the games 9/10 of us here would have to admit he looked out of his depth against anyone half decent. Why was he dropped so?

He's not going anywhere Wenger is loyal to his players to a fault. I always said Mert is far too slow for the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »
    You are constant negative. Moan moan and moan. We would beat Liverpool at home. Don't like reading do you.

We drew with City and played well for larger part of the game, lost away at Chelsea (many teams do), Spurs Everton and Liverpool games we played badly. But still drew it.

So my point is factually correct? We didn't win any of those games.

You get your goat up when called out, you've history of being negative so you've some cheek calling me out

You said we'd spank Liverpool, we didn't. Then you said we'd have done them easily at home, and I said that's silly over confidence, there's nothing negative about that

• Advertisement

Can't we all just get alooooong?

COYG

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

http://www.football365.com/arsenal/9616915/Wenger-Happy-To-Spend-Eyes-New-Defender

I feel Wenger is just saying this to get the fans off his back a little, zero chance of it happening Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/arsenal/9616915/Wenger-Happy-To-Spend-Eyes-New-Defender

I feel Wenger is just saying this to get the fans off his back a little, zero chance of it happening Imo

It has to happen, I'd be amazed if a CB wasn't bought , I just hope it's done early Jan and not late!

He knows he has to buy he's just trying to not appear too desperate to the selling clubs!

I don't think he'll buy a midfielder not with what we've got coming back

fulmer1984 wrote: »

Nah, it was bad enough not buying in the summer.

Now it would be downright insane.

It doesn't matter what it costs. Kos is in the same place Verm was with his achilles when he spent a year out.

We have a single CB pairing that doesn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Vrs Ghana

Manuel Neuer: 1.5 – Neuer was arguably the most consistent performer on the field for Germany. He saved everything he could and even had a great moment for the highlight reel with this goalkeeper clearance. It could have easily ended with three points for Ghana were it not for Neuer’s controlled and dominant performance in goal.
    Jerome Boateng: 3 – It was only 45 minutes of football for Germany’s right-back as he had to be replaced at half-time due to muscular problems. In the first half Boateng was defensively solid but was not very much involved going forward. He held his line well and made some good clearances. Nothing spectacular but nothing memorable either.
    Per Mertesacker: 3 – Solid but not spectacular from the tall center-back. He won the team’s most clearances and moved the ball out of the back without any issue. He failed to make any real impact on set pieces though and could have been in a better position on Ghana’s second goal.
    Mats Hummels: 3 – Like Mertesacker, Hummels did little wrong and was constrained by the pressure of the Ghanian forwards. Unlike the first game, he was also unable to make an impact on set pieces but was calm under pressure and made some crucial interceptions as legs tired in the second half.
    Benedikt Höwedes: 3 - In the first half Höwedes was specifically targeted by Ghana with a lot of the space opening up there but the left side stabilized as the game wore on and as everyone’s legs got tired, Höwedes remained disciplined and was always quick to make a tackle or interception.
    Philipp Lahm: 3 – Not the best performance from the Germany captain. Most notably his misspass kickstarted Ghana’s attack for the 2-1. Overall he kept possession of the ball well but had little influence on the game given Ghana’s quick and physically strong performance. Was outmuscled a bit too easy at times.
    - See more at: http://bundesligafanatic.com/player-ratings-germany-vs-ghana/#sthash.P6Ly6nLm.dpuf

I don't like to nitpick but these ratings are a little odd. I found it strange that Per, along with a good few others were getting 3/10 for a mere group stage draw. They seem to have an odd rating system, look at the descriptions:

Mesut Özil: 2 – One of Germany’s best and most proactive players. He was the team’s lone creative hub in a difficult game with little room and space to operate. He set up his teammates with the best chances and worked hard to recover the ball. He also worked hard defensively and impressively lasted for all 90 minutes.

Miroslav Klose: 2 – What more do you want from your substitute? Just a minute on the field and Klose scores the goal that ties him with Ronaldo in the all-time scoring charts. It was also the second fastest ever goal scored by a German at the World Cup. 36 and still as effective as ever.

Maybe Martin Kaymer made these ratings because it seems a lower score was a better result for players.

TL;DR: Per is grand, Klose was class!

I don't like to nitpick but these ratings are a little odd. I found it strange that Per, along with a good few others were getting 3/10 for a mere group stage draw. They seem to have an odd rating system, look at the descriptions:

Mesut Özil: 2 – One of Germany’s best and most proactive players. He was the team’s lone creative hub in a difficult game with little room and space to operate. He set up his teammates with the best chances and worked hard to recover the ball. He also worked hard defensively and impressively lasted for all 90 minutes.

Miroslav Klose: 2 – What more do you want from your substitute? Just a minute on the field and Klose scores the goal that ties him with Ronaldo in the all-time scoring charts. It was also the second fastest ever goal scored by a German at the World Cup. 36 and still as effective as ever.

Maybe Martin Kaymer made these ratings because it seems a lower score was a better result for players.

TL;DR: Per is grand, Klose was class!

Tbh I think it might have been some kind of mentalist rating system from 1-5 in reverse order. My general point is that he didn't stand out.

The reason he was ranches was that Germany switched tactics and played a high line with Neuer as sweeper. Not Per's strength really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's how the German papers always do their ratings, remember the game Ozil got stick off the Munich crowd they gave him 5 (the worst possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

It's because of the German school system they don't give out As and Bs they give out 1s and 2s

Germany uses a 6-point grading scale (GPA) to evaluate the performance of school children:

1 (sehr gut, very good) is the best possible grade and is given for outstanding performance
    2 (gut, good) is the next-highest and is given for performance that meets the standard completely and is above-average
    3 (befriedigend, satisfactory) indicates "average" performance.
    4 (ausreichend, sufficient) is the lowest passing grade and is given if the standard has been met but with a number of notable errors.
    5 (mangelhaft, deficient) is the higher of two failing grades and is given if the standard has not been met but the basics have been understood.
    6 (ungenügend, insufficient) is the lowest possible grade and is given if the standard has not been met and the basics have not been understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

byrneg28 wrote: »
    It's because of the German school system they don't give out As and Bs they give out 1s and 2s

Germany uses a 6-point grading scale (GPA) to evaluate the performance of school children:

1 (sehr gut, very good) is the best possible grade and is given for outstanding performance
    2 (gut, good) is the next-highest and is given for performance that meets the standard completely and is above-average
    3 (befriedigend, satisfactory) indicates "average" performance.
    4 (ausreichend, sufficient) is the lowest passing grade and is given if the standard has been met but with a number of notable errors.
    5 (mangelhaft, deficient) is the higher of two failing grades and is given if the standard has not been met but the basics have been understood.
    6 (ungenügend, insufficient) is the lowest possible grade and is given if the standard has not been met and the basics have not been understood.

It's a 1 for you byrneg28, demonstrating knowledge in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's a 1 for you byrneg28, demonstrating knowledge in depth.

Danke schön

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Couldn't give a damn how he's doing with Germany.
    We need him playing well for Arsenal and at the minute he's not. He's just like a lot more of them.

• Advertisement

Couldn't give a damn how he's doing with Germany.
    We need him playing well for Arsenal and at the minute he's not. He's just like a lot more of them.

Bah Humbug!

And just to state the bleedin' obvious… He's been injured for a couple of months now, so that's why he's not playing well at the minute! :)

emmetlego wrote: »
    Bah Humbug!

And just to state the bleedin' obvious… He's been injured for a couple of months now, so that's why he's not playing well at the minute! :)

How is Mert injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's one theory. Another is that he isn't playing well because he isn't very good.

Kirby wrote: »
    That's one theory. Another is that he isn't playing well because he isn't very good.

I'd say he's not as good as last year would have us believe or as bad as this year would.

But the truth is it's all Wenger's fault. Every club in the world would have rested Mert after his recent ups and downs with Germany and Arsenal. Every club with more than 2 fit CB's that is.

I get what Wenger's doing. He's given himself 3 years to have a push at the title and leave the best possible squad to his successor. So he's not comprimising on signings.

It's not right though. Especially to those paying huge ticket prices.

It's not right that with one injury to Kos, our season was over before it had begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He has an amazing ability to see the bigger picture, far more than your average fan (or manager, come to that). The problem is he neglects the smaller picture, the here and now, as a result.

How is Mert injured?

I assumed you were talking about Mesut Ozil. He was the last player named before your post!

in injury news Rosicky (and Sanogo) should be available for QPR. Kos could be back for the West Ham game and Ramsey for Southampton. Walcott has only had 2 days training and will be monitored.

Arteta won't play until January and nothing specific on Ozil

I'd say he's not as good as last year would have us believe or as bad as this year would.

But the truth is it's all Wenger's fault. Every club in the world would have rested Mert after his recent ups and downs with Germany and Arsenal. Every club with more than 2 fit CB's that is.

I get what Wenger's doing. He's given himself 3 years to have a push at the title and leave the best possible squad to his successor. So he's not comprimising on signings.

It's not right though. Especially to those paying huge ticket prices.

It's not right that with one injury to Kos, our season was over before it had begun.

It's not just Kos though.
    We lack a good DM.
    You could have driven a coach and four through the middle of the field from half-way to our 18 yard box in the Liverpool game and in the Stoke game not to mention some of our CL games..

It's not just Kos though.
    We lack a good DM.
    You could have driven a coach and four through the middle of the field from half-way to our 18 yard box in the Liverpool game and in the Stoke game not to mention some of our CL games..

This is true.

However one could argue about the qualities that Arteta brings to the team and whether he with Flamini as backup is OK for most games etc etc blah blah.

There isn't a backup to Kos we can evaluate. There just isn't one. it's not a case of 'he might do' because 'he' doesn't exist.

This is true.

However one could argue about the qualities that Arteta brings to the team and whether he with Flamini as backup is OK for most games etc etc blah blah.

There isn't a backup to Kos we can evaluate. There just isn't one. it's not a case of 'he might do' because 'he' doesn't exist.

We obviously need another Cb maybe even two BUT we also certainly need a good DM. We've had too many hammering which showed the weakness there at DM to ignore this area too.

By the way I like Arteta but against the likes of City and Chelsea he's just not good enough. We could be shown up in this area in the CL too when we meet one of the top teams like RM, Barca or Bayern.

Wenger really should try to get both positions filled in Jan although I doubt he will as he had all last summer to fix both problems and failed to do so despite having the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I was impressed with how Chelsea went out and handled Stokes physicality last night.
    They 'man-ed' up and didnt go crying to the sideline looking for help.
    Maybe it helped that Chelsea manager hadnt started moaning and wingehing in the run up to the game, no wonder Arsenal players felt they were so delicate. Mourinho made some comments to get the referee on his side, but nothing that would have given his players an inferiority complex.

Everyone was up for a physical match and gave as good as they got without resorting to being dirty.
    ...breaking news flash for Arsene ... scientists in the UK have identified that football is mans game and can be physical .... news flash over

Gary Neville did a great analysis of Flamini on Sky Sports, identified how Flamini sat too far back in the same line as the CBs and FBS and so that allowed Liverpool boss midfield.
    I think Joe Cambell (fck the spelling police) would have fitted in there against Liverpool, poor team selection once again by Wenger , isnt he the guy who says he never picks his team or his tactics based on the oppossition.
    Happy Gunnermas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was impressed with how Chelsea went out and handled Stokes physicality last night.
    They 'man-ed' up and didnt go crying to the sideline looking for help.
    Maybe it helped that Chelsea manager hadnt started moaning and wingehing in the run up to the game, no wonder Arsenal players felt they were so delicate. Mourinho made some comments to get the referee on his side, but nothing that would have given his players an inferiority complex.

Everyone was up for a physical match and gave as good as they got without resorting to being dirty.
    ...breaking news flash for Arsene ... scientists in the UK have identified that football is mans game and can be physical .... news flash over

Gary Neville did a great analysis of Flamini on Sky Sports, identified how Flamini sat too far back in the same line as the CBs and FBS and so that allowed Liverpool boss midfield.
    I think Joe Cambell (fck the spelling police) would have fitted in there against Liverpool, poor team selection once again by Wenger , isnt he the guy who says he never picks his team or his tactics based on the oppossition.
    Happy Gunnermas...

You make valid points, except for when talking about Joel Campbell. I haven't seen anything from him at our club to suggest he is going to make it in the EPL. An away fixture against Liverpool is not the time to try him either in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Quazzie wrote: »
    You make valid points, except for when talking about Joel Campbell. I haven't seen anything from him at our club to suggest he is going to make it in the EPL. An away fixture against Liverpool is not the time to try him either in my opinion.

Id prefer to see Arsenal trying something than repeating the same mistakes but expecting a different result.

One of the CBs should be telling Flamini to fk off and get off the 18 yard line until the play has developed and he is needed in there.

Id prefer to see Arsenal trying something than repeating the same mistakes but expecting a different result.

One of the CBs should be telling Flamini to fk off and get off the 18 yard line until the play has developed and he is needed in there.

The analysis on MOTD (Keown) laid more of the blame with Ox for poor positioning, and being too far forward leaving Flamini with far too much area and many players to cover

greendom wrote: »
    The analysis on MOTD (Known) laid more of the blame with Ox for poor positioning, and being too far forward leaving Flamini with far too much area and many players to cover

Nah flamini was standing with the defenders when he should be on the edge of the box picking up runners.

He is everything wrong with our squad.

Average mediocre mid table player.

Think it was a bit of both with the ox and flamini

Ah good old sky sports.

This morning a pundit on the channel was asked

'What age can Terry go on for?'

The serious answer was

'Because he plays so much with his heart, he can go on forever'

Honestly, that was the answer.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Nah flamini was standing with the defenders when he should be on the edge of the box picking up runners.

He is everything wrong with our squad.

Average mediocre mid table player.

Go and catch the MOTD2 coverage. Didn't seem too much wrong with his positioning. He was too isolated.

I thought 'everything that was wrong with the squad' was a lack of aggressivity, physicality and passion, things that Flamini doesn't lack

greendom wrote: »
    Go and catch the MOTD2 coverage. Didn't seem too much wrong with his positioning. He was too isolated.

I thought 'everything that was wrong with the squad' was a lack of aggressivity, physicality and passion, things that Flamini doesn't lack
    Go and watch Monday night football and watch Gary Neville say he had 45 clips of things flamini done wrong, he showed 3.

Shouting at people to do the basic things he couldn't even do.

Watch that then we can talk more.

Edit, was it 45 clips of arsenal bad play, can't remember now, doesn't matter, flamini stood out as the worst.

Found it it was flamini.

Neville says he has 45 clips of Flamini being awful yesterday - "He's actually a commentator. Shouting at everyone. He's not good enough."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ah good old sky sports.

This morning a pundit on the channel was asked

'What age can Terry go on for?'

The serious answer was

'Because he plays so much with his heart, he can go on forever'

Honestly, that was the answer.

Pure tabloid trash. BBC ftw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement