Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't think I rate Welbeck tbh, his ball control is so poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AdamD wrote: »
    Don't think I rate Welbeck tbh, his ball control is so poor.

Same here but it's ridiculous judging him from a wing position.

He should never have to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

gosplan wrote: »
    The question is after scoring a second, did we look like scoring again with 10 men.

if the answer is no, then defend.

We definitely looked like scoring more so than QPR..we just brought them on ourselves by first taking Rosicky who was keeping the ball so well and then replacing Welbeck with Coquelin...

Wenger simply doesn't know how to close the game with intelligent subs, he thinks if replaces attacking players with defensive players that will see them off....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Same here but it's ridiculous judging him from a wing position.

He should never have to play there.

I'd prefer him out there, he hasn't got the output to be our central striker.

The whole not being able to pass thing doesn't impact us as much though.

Welbeck's strength is his physicality, not his technique.

He should be backup/competition to Giroud or not play.

• Advertisement

his movement of the ball is not great, he ran into the path of Sanchez a few times there...instead of pulling away from and taking a defender with him...there were a few times where he could have pulled away from the defender and had a shot...but he always seems to be running into the players...

We definitely looked like scoring more so than QPR..we just brought them on ourselves by first taking Rosicky who was keeping the ball so well and then replacing Welbeck with Coquelin...

Wenger simply doesn't know how to close the game with intelligent subs, he thinks if replaces attacking players with defensive players that will see them off....

What should he have done though?

Make no subs?

The ever popular replace Welbeck (a fast wide player) with Walcott (a fast wide player who doesn't really track back) because with ten men, you need an extra person stuck forward.

I'm not saying the subs made a positive difference but I'm curious what others would do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The whole not being able to pass thing doesn't impact us as much though.

Welbeck's strength is his physicality, not his technique.

He should be backup/competition to Giroud or not play.

I thought so too but he showed none of it tonight.
    I was surprised at how easily he was pushed off the ball and he won nothing in the air either.
    When Theo returns (if ever?) I can't see Welbeck making the first eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Not at all.
    Keep your eye on the ball. Better than guessing.

Never said anything about guessing. I just said that its all about reading the attacking players movement. All gks will be trained to read that movement. Only problem is that strikers train masking that movement. Still I think that chez, besides conceding, didnt do much wrong with their peno

Never said anything about guessing. I just said that its all about reading the attacking players movement. All gks will be trained to read that movement. Only problem is that strikers train masking that movement. Still I think that chez, besides conceding, didnt do much wrong with their peno

Maybe so but if he stood he'd have caught it.

• Advertisement

Maybe so but if he stood he'd have caught it.

We always say that about peno's straight down the middle though. Stand still and it's so easy.

I'm assuming that since no keepers stand still, statistical research has been done on whether it's better to stick or pick a side.

We always say that about peno's straight down the middle though. Stand still and it's so easy.

I'm assuming that since no keepers stand still, statistical research has been done on whether it's better to stick or pick a side.

Don't know about that.
    We had a L.O.I. keeper coach a team I was involved with a few years ago and his advice was to keep an eye on the ball until it was kicked.
    Something like this advice here -

http://paradagoalkeeping.com/tips/aug2014.pdf

Don't know about that.
    We had a L.O.I. keeper coach a team I was involved with a few years ago and his advice was to keep an eye on the ball until it was kicked.

That says to pick a side if you read it. it also says to keep an eye on the ball but highlights the need to read the penalty taker and go that side.

not getting into an argument but my point is that there's a reason no-one just stands for penalty kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Don't know about that.

Eye on the ball from the start of the kick though is it? Eye on the ball until it was kicked wouldn't make much sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I remember seeing high and just off centre by like a foot is the best place to send it statistically

That says to pick a side if you read it. it also says to keep an eye on the ball but highlights the need to read the penalty taker and go that side.

not getting into an argument but my point is that there's a reason no-one just stands for penalty kicks.

You follow the ball as in point number 4.
    Don't go too early like Chez did.

Make no subs?

The ever popular replace Welbeck (a fast wide player) with Walcott (a fast wide player who doesn't really track back) because with ten men, you need an extra person stuck forward.

I'm not saying the subs made a positive difference but I'm curious what others would do?

Regardless of the subs he made, you could see how annoyed he was with Arsenal just giving the ball away. I know they were down to 10 men and all, but there were plenty of times when there was plenty of space and time to control the ball for a bit, and they just gave it away, without being under any pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't put on defensive subs

'we don't know how to seal a win'

Put defensive subs on

'we're just inviting pressure'

Wenger can't win

Put defensive subs on

Wenger can't win

Well those are some of the decisions that define management in fairness.
    Today we held on and last week we didn't.
    Many of us would have made different choices but we'll never know how they would have worked.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't fault Wenger today at all. All the problems today lay at the players feet, namely Giroud losing his head and Sanchez's pathetic penalty (though he was our best player by far otherwise).

• Advertisement

Well those are some of the decisions that define management in fairness.
    Today we held on and last week we didn't.
    Many of us would have made different choices but we'll never know how they would have worked.

Wenger has no currency left in the bank.

I think the only far way to judge it now is..

Last week points dropped - bad job Wenger

This week held on - good job Wenger

Jose or someone would get a few comments like 'ah he made the right choice but it didn't work out'. Wenger is totally out of such leeway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Think we did well to hold off the siege tbh

Agree. Totally Giroud's fault.

Today never should have been about subs.

Anyone know for sure if Theo was on the bench.
    If so I thought he should have got a run in the last 15 mins instead of Welbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wenger has no currency left in the bank.

I think the only far way to judge it now is..

Last week points dropped - bad job Wenger

This week held on - good job Wenger

Jose or someone would get a few comments like 'ah he made the right choice but it didn't work out'. Wenger is totally out of such leeway

Wenger currency is still acceptable in Bank of Efb

Anyone know for sure if Theo was on the bench.
    If so I thought he should have got a run in the last 15 mins instead of Welbeck.

Think we will see him start the next game, we will prob see a few changes

Think we will see him start the next game, we will prob see a few changes

Hope so. We need fresh faces.
    Rosicky was the big plus today.

Hope so. We need fresh faces.
    Rosicky was the big plus today.

Thought so too

Flamini was brutal first half, he seems to never be where he is supposed to be, his off the ball movement is horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

If you watch the replay of the Rosicky goal you can see welbeck was actually crucial in it because he ran into a position which dragged the third defender over to him and away from Rosicky.

https://gfycat.com/TimelyConventionalHound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

efb wrote: »
    Wenger currency is still acceptable in Bank of Efb

Did you have an account with Anglo by any chance ;-)

I agree with earlier posts that wenger wasn't to blame today, although he was a little slow to counter QPR post the red card and then after 2-1. Girouds melt down could really have cost us on a day that should have been a stroll but all in all a positive result (poor ish performance though).

Make no subs?

Put defensive subs on

Wenger can't win

We all wanted him to make the subs, but ones which could help the team....I think Theo would have been more handful than Coquelin...

you do make defensive subs but then leave a couple of offensive players (especially someone with pace ) who could hurt the opposition...

the subs he made instead of defending the back four just made it back of 8 and there was no one in the middle, Sanchez was too tired to hold the ball on his own...that's what happened in the Liverpool game...

In the end we won, but as someone said above blame Giroud for his madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Rosicky was fantastic yesterday, really impressed with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

omega man wrote: »
    Did you have an account with Anglo by any chance ;-)

I agree with earlier posts that wenger wasn't to blame today, although he was a little slow to counter QPR post the red card and then after 2-1. Girouds melt down could really have cost us on a day that should have been a stroll but all in all a positive result (poor ish performance though).

Any bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Haha I think its funny that I put giroud forward for player of the season and then he does that. Maybe it'll work with players from other teams too!

Think we will struggle big time tomorrow, yesterdays game would have took alot out of the lads playing nearly a full half with 10

Team I would start

Scez

Debuchy. Mert. Kos. Gibbs
    Coq. Cazorla
    Ox. Sanchez. Walcott
    Welbeck

If the ox is not fit then podolski to start, and I would be very very tempted to rest Sanchez he looks knackered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

IF we beat West Ham tomorrow and chelsea beat southampton we will jump to fourth place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

West Ham are flying it, big Sam will have targeted this game too. It's a big ask I feel, I'd be relatively happy with the draw I have to say!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Warnock just sacked!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I would be very very tempted to rest Sanchez he looks knackered

I think we'd struggle without him. Don't see where the goals are going to come from if he doesn't play. I can see us losing. We won't be able to handle their tempo or the physical or aerial threat of Carroll while Song is actually playing like the DM we badly need.

I think we'd struggle without him. Don't see where the goals are going to come from if he doesn't play. I can see us losing. We won't be able to handle their tempo or the physical or aerial threat of Carroll while Song is actually playing like the DM we badly need.

That's the problem were fooked without him, but how long can we keep flogging him, we're playing a dangerous game

Yeah there areial threat will undo us Id say

I'm expecting the worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

emmetlego wrote: »
    West Ham are flying it, big Sam will have targeted this game too. It's a big ask I feel, I'd be relatively happy with the draw I have to say!!!!

Pressure us like pool did, also they rested some players for this game Sam will have their lads up for, would be disappointed if we don't win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That's the problem were fooked without him, but how long can we keep flogging him, we're playing a dangerous game

Yeah there areial threat will undo us Id say

I'm expecting the worse

If he can make it through the Southampton game, he could have FA Cup weekend off so that would give him 9 full days rest until we play again. I'm guessing that's Wenger's plan but you're right, it's a dangerous game.

Sanchez didn't look knackered to me.
    He was all over the field.

West Ham didn't look great against Chelsea either.
    Would seriously expect to win this game. No excuses.

Here's a laugh

@DarrenArsenal1 Arsenal have failed to clear the first man in over 160 corners in all competitions this season. ONE HUNDRED & SIXTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good result, hopefully we can get 4 from 6 now and Ill be delighted. But West Ham will be tough after the evening game and playing the second half with ten. Giroud really has put us in a hole though through fatigue and lack of height for marking.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Here's a laugh

@DarrenArsenal1 Arsenal have failed to clear the first man in over 160 corners in all competitions this season. ONE HUNDRED & SIXTY.

Mustn't practice at all FFS 160 ??

Mustn't practice at all FFS 160 ??

That's what the man said. Crazy stat.
    I know we aim near post for per a lot but we should be miles better than that

bad2dabone wrote: »
    That's what the man said. Crazy stat.
    I know we aim near post for per a lot but we should be miles better than that

Corners are no good to us at that rate.
    We're more likely to concede from one of our corners than we are to score.

Practice and variety needed but it's been like that for years now and Wenger doesn't seem to be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Corners are no good to us at that rate.
    We're more likely to concede from one of our corners than we are to score.

Practice and variety needed but it's been like that for years now and Wenger doesn't seem to be aware of it.

Dare I coin an old clichė....... Back to basic, perhaps?

But yet out free kick delievery is decent

I think we're aiming for a man at the near post, cause as far as im concerned any professional footballer can cross a ball

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement