Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

shano_88 wrote: »
    Reid had a very poor game yesterday I though. Have never been very impressed by him.

I'd be concerned that he is currently a player at his level playing for West Ham but not good enough to be nailed on first choice for Arsenal.
    It may have been a factor in Wengers failure to add CB cover over the summer that a top quality defender wasnt available at the right price. But I'd love to see him go for who he really wants even if paying the bit extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'd be concerned that he is currently a player at his level playing for West Ham but not good enough to be nailed on first choice for Arsenal.
    It may have been a factor in Wengers failure to add CB cover over the summer that a top quality defender wasnt available at the right price. But I'd love to see him go for who he really wants even if paying the bit extra!

Alot of people seem to rate him highly but Id be concerned he wouldnt be able to be a ball playing centre back. Hes certainly good in the air and seems to have a bit of pace. I dont think hes the answer though.

Who knows who Wenger wants. Hopefully he plucks a Koscielny out of nowhere again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

A few in the Chelsea forum want Sanchez in January.

He's ours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

yipeeeee wrote: »
    A few in the Chelsea forum want Sanchez in January.

He's ours!

Mourinho wouldn't want him, he loses possession too much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

shano_88 wrote: »
    Reid had a very poor game yesterday I though. Have never been very impressed by him.

I think we can do much better too.
    If we're buying then it should be always to improve on what we have.
    Reid would not displace any of what we have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we can do much better too.
    If we're buying then it should be always to improve on what we have.
    Reid would not displace any of what we have already.

Tayto he won't be replacing anyone, as we have no one :)

"Arsene Wenger is actively trying to sign a new centre back early in the January transfer window amid ongoing concern at whether Laurent Koscielny can withstand the club’s fixture schedule.

Wenger also wants to reduce the responsibility on Calum Chambers and, with a current transfer budget of £20 million, has been working on his defensive targets and would like to recruit soon after the transfer window reopens on Thursday."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11316811/Arsenal-transfer-news-Arsene-Wenger-on-the-hunt-for-a-centre-back-amid-concern-over-Laurent-Koscielny.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nice to see Transfer Season is back under way , Start of summer I was convinced we wouldn't sign Alexis and now im totally convinced we won't sign Cavani :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Flapianski at it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

"Arsene Wenger is actively trying to sign a new centre back early in the January transfer window amid ongoing concern at whether Laurent Koscielny can withstand the club’s fixture schedule.

Wenger also wants to reduce the responsibility on Calum Chambers and, with a current transfer budget of £20 million, has been working on his defensive targets and would like to recruit soon after the transfer window reopens on Thursday."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11316811/Arsenal-transfer-news-Arsene-Wenger-on-the-hunt-for-a-centre-back-amid-concern-over-Laurent-Koscielny.html

Only 5 months too late arsene, better late than never I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Flapianski at it again

He must have a fairly good blooper reel in the making by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Worst thing about Coq playing well yesterday is that it more than likely means we wont be seeing a CM arrive in Jan. Not that it was ever going to happen of course. We'll get a CB, but I cant imagine it will be anything other than a cheap stopgap.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Worst thing about Coq playing well yesterday is that it more than likely means we wont be seeing a CM arrive in Jan. Not that it was ever going to happen of course. We'll get a CB, but I cant imagine it will be anything other than a cheap stopgap.

Aye, possible, but i think that Coquelin really was just a recall to fill the squad for a bit instead of having any younger players have to fill the gap. Semi Ajayi and Zelalem have been on the bench a few too many times to early in their career so I think we just needed someone back with some experience (however little that is).

It seemed to be reported Wenger was looking for another mid during the summer so i would think he will continue that search during January, although a much harder time to get the things you want (although we obviously have a hard time most summers too..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Reid won't be replacing anyone. He's Kos backup.

First choice pair is Mert and Kos, backups are Chambers and Reid.

The fact he's not world class means he would be happy to come and play 3rd/4th choice with the belief he may be able to edge his way into the 1st team.

I know people will say either

A: Mert should be replaced
    B: We should be aiming for world class

But this is Jan and where we are is in need of a viable alternative to Kos for the first week in Jan.

He's not even cup tied.

What do we think the fallout of Borussia Dortmunds league position will be this January? Just imagine we were coming last in the league.. How many of our players would jump ship?! You'd like to think that the players were loyal, but coming last now means at best they climb a bit and start again next year with no CL football and a morale rebuild on the cards, at worst they get relegated and you have a team of some of the worlds best players playing in the Bundesliga 2.

Having not watched any Bundesliga matches this year, whats been their problem? Are the good players not performing or are their injuries really getting to them? (Heard the had quite a few out when playing us)

• Advertisement

Ajfunky wrote: »
    What do we think the fallout of Borussia Dortmunds league position will be this January? Just imagine we were coming last in the league.. How many of our players would jump ship?! You'd like to think that the players were loyal, but coming last now means at best they climb a bit and start again next year with no CL football and a morale rebuild on the cards, at worst they get relegated and you have a team of some of the worlds best players playing in the Bundesliga 2.

Having not watched any Bundesliga matches this year, whats been their problem? Are the good players not performing or are their injuries really getting to them? (Heard the had quite a few out when playing us)

Think the summer is when they will get raided

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I feel for them, I think everyone has had a great deal of respect for the job Klopp and everyone at the club has done over the past few years but you're probably right in saying a lot of their bigger players will leave in the Summer. It'd be great to see Klopp start again with them and build them back up to where they were a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Big boy league

Arsenal -

Arsenal 2-2 city
    Chelsea 2-0 arsenal
    Arsenal 1 - 2 united
    Liverpool 2-2 arsenal

Chelsea -

Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea
    United 1 - 1 Chelsea
    City 1-1 Chelsea

City -

City 3-1 Liverpool
    City 1-0 united

United

United 3 - 0 Liverpool

City 8 points, 3gd
    Chelsea 8 points, 3gd
    United 7 points, 3gd
    Arsenal 2 points, -3gd
    Liverpool 1 point, -6gd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Maybe they will turn things around in the second half of the season? Only 13 points off third place.

symbolic wrote: »
    Maybe they will turn things around in the second half of the season? Only 13 points off third place.

Still think a lot of them will leave inculvise Klopp, think there time is up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

PSG have left Ed Cavanhi out of their warm weather training squad, strongly linked with move to us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

emmetlego wrote: »
    PSG have left Ed Cavanhi out of their warm weather training squad, strongly linked with move to us...

How much do people think he would go for? Cant see us spending big money on a CF after buying Welbeck and definitely needing a defender.

The issue will be his salary more than any transfer fee. I'd say AW would go to £32m with 150k per week. If a deal can be done on that we'll take him.

This would all depend on whether AW also has money for a defender and possibly a CDM - he couldn't run the risk of spending elsewhere without also spending in those positions.

Every source is saying we have only 20m to spend this window so I can't see anything major happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Every source is saying we have only 20m to spend this window so I can't see anything major happening

Is the 20M figure not specific to a defender though. Surely that can't include any unscheduled purchase of a striker which would just be happening because the right one became available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If it is possible we could get the likes of Cavani now at a reasonable price, we should surely take that opportunity.

If we could then get a top quality dm and cb for the summer we would have an amazing team. Reid then as a squad cb for the winter transfer window in the meantime.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is the 20M figure not specific to a defender though. Surely that can't include any unscheduled purchase of a striker which would just be happening because the right one became available.

From what I'm reading it's 20m for whatever business we do

So I suspect we will get a defender and prob a midfielder on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Quazzie wrote: »

i don't think it is only for a defender but they could take it from the summer budget couldn't they.

or the rainy day fund, make it rain arsene

Makin+it+rain+on+transfer+deadline+day+what+wenger+looked_280e19_4774550.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, I can see why the public went Schneriderlin ahead of Cesc, makes perfect sense really.........

top-players-monday-night-football_3246033.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Would Cavani on loan make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Was just about to say what Gav did, Cesc has the most passes, assists and chances created in the league... with the 2 man midfield they proposed it think morgan and matic has the better balance but if you're going with 3 in the middle Cesc HAS to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was just about to say what Gav did, Cesc has the most passes, assists and chances created in the league... with the 2 man midfield they proposed it think morgan and matic has the better balance but if you're going with 3 in the middle Cesc HAS to be there.

Slightly off topic but I'd have proposed dropping Cpsta and playing Cesc at #10 and Aguero up top.

I think i seen Neville say last night that as long as he was in the end of year XI Cesc wouldnt care about the MNF lads effort really.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, I can see why the public went Schneriderlin ahead of Cesc, makes perfect sense really.........

It's not the public though, it's Arsenal fans on Twitter trolling. They need to get over the Cesc thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fabregas has been the best player in the league for me this season and the main reason Chelsea went on such a good run early on. There are other contributing factors of course, it's not as if he did it all himself!

Slightly off topic but I'd have proposed dropping Cpsta and playing Cesc at #10 and Aguero up top.

I think i seen Neville say last night that as long as he was in the end of year XI Cesc wouldnt care about the MNF lads effort really.

Sounds good to me, I'd also swap Sanchez and Hazard, I don't think either function great on the right but I'd prefer Sanchez on the left. With those 2 on the wings there's really no need for 2 up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I don't think it's about the formation 4-4-3 or 4-4-2...

it's more about who has been the best so far and I would include Cesc instead of Schneiderlin and probably Clyne instead of Ivanovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who gives a **** about whether a Southampton player got in ahead of a Chelsea player? This is the Arsenal thread :confused:

Anyway, Cavani, yes please. He'd be the 2nd or 3rd best striker in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Who gives a **** about whether a Southampton player got in ahead of a Chelsea player? This is the Arsenal thread :confused:

I dunno I think Cavani could possibly take 1st place away from Sanogo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think the cavani thing is just pure paper talk rubbish.
    Why would Wenger even think of doing that and continue to ignore the elephant in the room I,e, the defence..?
    I read somewhere that William Carvalho can play both CB and DM. If so. We,re sorted. Go and do it Wenger.

Why would Wenger even think of doing that and continue to ignore the elephant in the room I,e, the defence..?
    Only if he actually ignores it, no reason we can't do both. He's specifically mentioned he wants to strengthen the defence.

We're not getting Cavani though, no way.

Surely that doesn't mean ALL we can talk about is Arsenal. It's all relevant really, only 1 Arsenal player on that team...

I'm not too fussed about Cavani, seems to be out of sorts at PSG and on a national level I haven't seen anything to great, could easily be a flop and at that price our money would be better spent elsewhere.

Arsène Wenger has revealed the following team news ahead of the Southampton game:
    on the latest...

The team news is that the squad will basically be the same that played at West Ham. We have an uncertainty about Welbeck, who came off with a thigh problem. I think he will be short for Thursday.

on Tomas Rosicky...
    Rosicky will be back in the squad because he was rested. Giroud is still suspended. I will have to make a decision on who will come back, but Rosicky will come in for sure.

on rotation...
    We have Southampton which is another game that will demand a high intensity and commitment, so I will have to look at how we recovered because we gave a lot in the last two games in 48 hours. It's down now to the quality of the recovery.

Rotation is a sensitive subject because you can destabilise your team with too much rotation. So you have to find the right numbers for rotating the team. Overall, you want to keep the balance of your team and as well refresh sometimes in the positions where players are a bit tired.

on Alexis...
    Alexis is a guy who has a naturally quick recovery and he has a lot of energy available as well.

on Theo Walcott…
    Walcott is involved because he was already in the squad. Of course I judge him a bit short on the competition front but on the fitness front he is ready to play.

on Aaron Ramsey…
    Ramsey is not available yet. There’s no setback but because he had a setback last year, we have to be very cautious with his thigh - he was out for three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think the cavani thing is just pure paper talk rubbish.
    I read somewhere that William Carvalho can play both CB and DM. If so. We,re sorted. Go and do it Wenger.

RE: Carvalho, the more you thinnk about it the more it makes sense, Wenger offers 20m for him, and then alternates playing him at cb and dm, depending on the injury situation and the match schedule.We could then sign the likes of Schar for free in the summer, or some other top quality defender.

• Advertisement

Front 3 of Walcott Sanchez Chamberlain on Thurs please :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Javi martinez would be an ideal signing imo, could push mert onto the bench and he can also play cdm. Has a hefty pricetag I imagine, anybody have an idea of the number?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Javi martinez would be an ideal signing imo, could push mert onto the bench and he can also play cdm. Has a hefty pricetag I imagine, anybody have an idea of the number?
    Would bloody love him, the perfect DM and a good centre half to boot.

Pricetag? Unobtaintable I'd say :(

I think we could see Reid, that youngfella from Ipswich and a loan for cabaye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I think we could see Reid, that youngfella from Ipswich and a loan for cabaye

A loan for Cabaye and a competent centre half would be excellent business. Allardyce talks the talk on 20 million for Reid but he is free in the summer so ultimately it won't be his decision!

Regarding some of the other posts....I think the Cavani stuff is nonsense. Would love if I'm wrong and for a team that typically plays 1 striker...if Welbeck was our third choice well then we would be well set! In fairness to him though...he is much better through the middle than out wide.

Finally...can't wait to see Theo back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement