Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where are people getting Cabaye from? He plays for PSG now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

AdamD wrote: »
    Where are people getting Cabaye from? He plays for PSG now..

He rarely plays and is out of favour there.
    Quite a few rumours about him wanting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A loan for Cabaye and a competent centre half would be excellent business. Allardyce talks the talk on 20 million for Reid but he is free in the summer so ultimately it won't be his decision!

Regarding some of the other posts....I think the Cavani stuff is nonsense. Would love if I'm wrong and for a team that typically plays 1 striker...if Welbeck was our third choice well then we would be well set! In fairness to him though...he is much better through the middle than out wide.

Finally...can't wait to see Theo back.

Agree with all of this.

Cavani also is likely not to leave PSG any time soon.

Ibrahimovich is 33. He's nt able to dominate European opposition the way he can the French league but soon that will go too.

He has a season and a half left and then it'll cost 50 million plus to get someone like Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cabaye isn't really a defensive midfielder either lads, we might as well do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would bloody love him, the perfect DM and a good centre half to boot.

Pricetag? Unobtaintable I'd say :(

Any idea if he gets much game time with bayern?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Any idea if he gets much game time with bayern?

He's been out all season with a pretty nasty knee injury. I think that was the main reason why Bayern bought Benatia.

But he's a big player for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Cannot see us signing either Carvalho or Cavani. Both of them are ineligible for the Champions League. You could only see us signing someone like that if they were seen as the final piece of the jigsaw for next season and were only available now and not in the summer because they have gone elsewhere.

We can make three changes to the Champions League squad. One of them is Giroud for Zelalem. We need departures to fill the other two spaces. Sanogo is one of those, not sure who would be the other, Campbell? Coquelin?

Looking at what is available Mings or Reid are options for centre-half. Schneiderlin Sissoko (newcastle) or Kramer are the options for midfield.

Isn't Schneiderlin more of a Ramsey type too?

Wanyama is the DMF, no?

gosplan wrote: »
    Isn't Schneiderlin more of a Ramsey type too?

Wanyama is the DMF, no?

More like Arteta only with a lot more running and better defensive contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Cabaye isn't really a defensive midfielder either lads, we might as well do it right.

Yeah but if we got Cabaye on loan, with an option to buy inserted in for the summer and Carvalho, you wouldn't shake your head at that.Cabaye could be considered quite a good addition also considering Wilshere is out until March, and Wenger is heisitant in rushing Ramsey back either.

Is Cabaye cup tied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Works his balls off but his goal record is not flattering. If you buy Cavani I don't think having him as the main striker works. He'd be another inside forward to go along with Sanchez/Welbeck/Ozil/Walcott/Cazorla for 3 positions.

Are we talking about Cavani who has 34 goals for PSG in about 55 games playing out wide?

Anyway, Cavani, yes please. He'd be the 2nd or 3rd best striker in the league.

C'mon there are at least 3 or 4 strikers better or at the very least just as good as him in the league at the moment

I really hope he doesn't sign for Arsenal, if United hadn't got such good options I'd take him in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yeah but if we got Cabaye on loan, with an option to buy inserted in for the summer and Carvalho, you wouldn't shake your head at that.Cabaye could be considered quite a good addition also considering Wilshere is out until March, and Wenger is heisitant in rushing Ramsey back either.

Is Cabaye cup tied?

Played three games in Europe according to Wikipedia, so if correct, is ineligible for Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

He'd be up there with the likes of Costa, Rooney, RVP, Aguero, anyway. Aguero would be the only one who'd be a clear cut decision over him. I'd take RVP over him too if he wasn't such a cvnt, injury prone and in danger of getting old, but he is.

He's a beast, seems to have a tremendous work rate from what I've seen, and an obscene goalscoring record at Napoli along with a good one given how he's been played at PSG. A dream signing. Not a chance we'll get him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Are we talking about Cavani who has 34 goals for PSG in about 55 games playing out wide?

C'mon there are at least 3 or 4 strikers better or at the very least just as good as him in the league at the moment

I really hope he doesn't sign for Arsenal, if United hadn't got such good options I'd take him in a heartbeat

23 in 45.

And french league is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

don't think there's any question over a fit Falcao and Cavani either. RVP the weakest comparison at the moment, hasn't been great for 1.5 seasons now

I don't think it needs to be said a striker isn't top priority for Arsenal now, should make a solid bid for Schneiderlin. He's a fantastic player and exactly what Arsenal need to anchor the midfield

Lots of jokes about Southampton last summer but I think they held on to their best player amidst all the big money departures

We're being heavily linked to Mario suarez from atletico by Spanish journalists in the past couple of hours.

We're really debating whether or not we'd take Cavani at that price? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some words from Wenger on the transfer market and the injuries. Nothing really new on the transfer front, the man wouldn't be out of place in a cold war spy thriller, but it seems to me that he's much more cautious with bringing players back this year.

Perhaps that's down to Shad's influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    We're being heavily linked to Mario suarez from atletico by Spanish journalists in the past couple of hours.

Talk to me about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Aguero. At a push, Falcao on form (not that that's happened). Van Persie is starting to regress a bit, Rooney isn't a striker any more, Costa has only been a great striker for 18 months and I don't think he's better than Cavani at his best anyway, so....who?

Talk to me about him

Pure DMF, doesn't get a game at A.Madrid now as Gabi and Tiago are there, not eligible in Europe.

Like Reid, it's a transfer that would be possible in Jan but isn't the world class Khedira type player we'd wish for.

The main positives are he's 26 so we'd get his best years and he's used to being in a winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Pure DMF, doesn't get a game at A.Madrid now as Gabi and Tiago are there, not eligible in Europe.

Like Reid, it's a transfer that would be possible in Jan but isn't the world class Khedira type player we'd wish for.

The main positives are he's 26 so we'd get his best years and he's used to being in a winning team.

Is he being linked to us because he is a top quality DM or is it because he has lost his place and Arsenal are in the market for a DM?

Is he being linked to us because he is a top quality DM or is it because he has lost his place and Arsenal are in the market for a DM?

Dunno. He can't be top quality if he lost his place though.

But if he's available and experienced, then go for it. We'll need 2 DMF's over the next year anyway.

But if he's available and experienced, then go for it. We'll need 2 DMF's over the next year anyway.

Personally I would rather the club get the player(s) they want rather than he is available and experienced sure get him for now.
    Could argue that we have 2 with Arteta and Flamini, plus Coquelin and even Wilshere at a push as he has shown for England.
    I'd much rather get the man we want and even pay a premium for him if necessary - Schneiderlin wont be cheap if Lovren is worth 20m but much rather him at 30m if he is the number one target.

I like that idea sign him now and sign the next big thing in the summer

Unless the deal that 16yr old goes through supposedly the next big thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Unless the deal that 16yr old goes through supposedly the next big thing

We really don't have time to wait for a 16 year to develop, there must be a proven DM in the pipeline to go along with him. If not, then it's just madness.

Personally I would rather the club get the player(s) they want rather than he is available and experienced sure get him for now.
    Could argue that we have 2 with Arteta and Flamini, plus Coquelin and even Wilshere at a push as he has shown for England.
    I'd much rather get the man we want and even pay a premium for him if necessary - Schneiderlin wont be cheap if Lovren is worth 20m but much rather him at 30m if he is the number one target.

If we spend 30 million on Schneiderlin, we still don't have an out and out DMF apart from Flamini.

If we spend 30 million on Schneiderlin, we still don't have an out and out DMF apart from Flamini.

In my mind Schneiderlin fulfills that role excellently in the Prem and would be an immediate first team upgrade.
    Javi Martinez the same.
    I dont know enough about European football to mention others apart from the obvious unavailable player like Matic.
    By all means sign the 16yr old potential but we need first team quality and if Suarez isnt a real upgrade then we dont need squad filler in this position.
    Arteta is the typical Wenger DM so I dont agree to say Flamini is our only one.

In my mind Schneiderlin fulfills that role excellently in the Prem and would be an immediate first team upgrade.
    Javi Martinez the same.
    I dont know enough about European football to mention others apart from the obvious unavailable player like Matic.
    By all means sign the 16yr old potential but we need first team quality and if Suarez isnt a real upgrade then we dont need squad filler in this position.
    Arteta is the typical Wenger DM so I dont agree to say Flamini is our only one.

Not disagreeing with you or anything, it's just that a load of people on the Schneiderlin bandwagon have been on the we need new Gilberto or a Matic bandwagon.

Schneiderlin, to me, has always played as CMF but one who gets forward a lot. And he's always had someone behind him.

Not disagreeing with you or anything, it's just that a load of people on the Schneiderlin bandwagon have been on the we need new Gilberto or a Matic bandwagon.

Schneiderlin, to me, has always played as CMF but one who gets forward a lot. And he's always had someone behind him.

Fair point he has had the likes of Wanyama there alot of the time.

I just think the Prem these days requires more than just a Makalele type who barely crosses the half way line - lots of mobility, aggression, positional sense and good in possession seems to be the ideal DM and Schneiderlin ticks those boxes more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Fair point he has had the likes of Wanyama there alot of the time.

I just think the Prem these days requires more than just a Makalele type who barely crosses the half way line - lots of mobility, aggression, positional sense and good in possession seems to be the ideal DM and Schneiderlin ticks those boxes more than most.

I agree with both points you make.
    1. We dont need a squad player for the DM role, Arteta and Flamini will do that just fine, we need an absolute improvement a starter, we dont need another squad player Coq, Arteta & Flamini can all do that so we have plenty of cover.
    2. Schneiderlin is not a DM he is a CM, he always has been in the PL so he is not the answer for the big towering defensive minded DM we all crave. Unless Wenger see's something different that we do
    I don't think Arsene wants the type of DM we all want, I think he wants and Arteta style DM who can connect the back to the middle and keep things moving.

Time will tell.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This all goes to prove that sometimes it isn't just as easy to have the money available.

Not even sure there are that many players available that we'd see as an improvement.

But we need someone.

Arteta is finished this year IMO (as a regular starter anyway). He'll be 33 by the end of the season.

Flamini is finished next year when his contract expires. He's of questionable value regardless.

If Wenger sees Suarez as a good squad player who can come in and give us 4/5 years of dependable tough-as-nails DMF work, then he should sign because we need him now. Same as with Winston Reid.

This team isn't missing the mercurial talent. It's missing a Ray Parlour or an Edu or a Keown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ray parlour wouldn't cut it in the top level of the BPL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Arteta is finished this year IMO (as a regular starter anyway). He'll be 33 by the end of the season.

Flamini is finished next year when his contract expires. He's of questionable value regardless.

If Wenger sees Suarez as a good squad player who can come in and give us 4/5 years of dependable tough-as-nails DMF work, then he should sign because we need him now. Same as with Winston Reid.

This team isn't missing the mercurial talent. It's missing a Ray Parlour or an Edu or a Keown.

Flamini best years have always been his last year of contract!

Soups123 wrote: »
    Flamini best years have always been his last year of contract!

Soups your right

Expect him to be player of the year next season :)

Talk to me about him

I know very little about him just that hes not getting into their highly stocked midfield atm and seems to be unhappy. Haven't actually seen him play apart from a few highlight reels which are just over flattering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

suarez? LOL

suarez? LOL

Are you an expert in all things mario suarez, jonney?

suarez? LOL

Good point. And well made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Anyone know are we on live tomorrow?

I'd be quite happy with Suarez.
    He was fantastic last season with Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Suarez isnt better than Arteta imo. Better than Flamini but would only be a squad player. Hopefully we can nab Schneiderlin! Happy New Year to yee all , have a good night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

31786116.jpg

Happy new year all.

Awful calendar year for the league.

We started it in first, finished in 5th.

On the plus side, we won a cup and aigned Sanchez.

Worst calendar year ever for injuries though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Arsenal players and injuries:

Homer-Falls-off-the-gourge-again.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Happy new year all.

Awful calendar year for the league.

We started it in first, finished in 5th.

On the plus side, we won a cup and aigned Sanchez.

Worst calendar year ever for injuries though.

And when you look at other years injuries it's really saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

When Arsenal bought Lassana Diarra from Chelsea in 2007, I taught our defensive midfield situation was sorted. However due to Flamini playing so well his opportunities were limited. He left 5 months later in January transfer window so he would make France world cup squad. It surely would of being better to loan him in January since Flamini was in last year of contract and ended up leaving at end of season anyway. Would Diarra be worth a gamble now, he is 29 and playing in Moscow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

When Arsenal bought Lassana Diarra from Chelsea in 2007, I taught our defensive midfield situation was sorted. However due to Flamini playing so well his opportunities were limited. He left 5 months later in January transfer window so he would make France world cup squad. It surely would of being better to loan him in January since Flamini was in last year of contract and ended up leaving at end of season anyway. Would Diarra be worth a gamble now, he is 29 and playing in Moscow?

Worth mentioning Gilberto left the same Summer as Flamini IIRC.

On Diarra I would never ever sign him, he sounds like absolute poison. Anyone who read Diego Torres' book on Mourinho at Real will know that. It seems Jose absolutely loved Diarra as a player and wanted to essentially build the Madrid team around him from midfield but Lass just didn't particularly like Jose and acted the absolute boll*x during his time there. At the end of the day if you're deemed good enough for Chelsea, Arsenal and Real Madrid but end up playing football in Moscow at the age of 29 there has to be something seriously wrong with your attitude.

• Advertisement

Happy new year folks

I enjoyed the last 12 months in here

Had alot of rows in here but I hope no one takes it personal I could dig you out one post and be thanking your following post

I'm looking forward to engaging, have a debate, disagreeing and even having the odd row with one and all who post in here in 2015

I hope all Ye and yer family's have a happy, healthy and Safe 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement