Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think its the rose tinted glasses, he loves Arsenal my ass. He plays like most others for money and success.

I've no issues with him wanting to go but tricking yourself into believing he loves us and wants to come back, come on

In fairness he was pretty honest about the club and fans in his post match interview the last day which I found refreshing. I think it's convenient to say he doesn't have any affinity for Arsenal because it's easier to make him a hate figure that way but he sure goes out of his way to say how much he loves the club and fans every chance he gets for someone who doesn't care. I've nothing but respect for him tbh and would welcome him back with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In fairness he was pretty honest about the club and fans in his post match interview the last day which I found refreshing. I think it's convenient to say he doesn't have any affinity for Arsenal because it's easier to make him a hate figure that way but he sure goes out of his way to say how much he loves the club and fans every chance he gets for someone who doesn't care. I've nothing but respect for him tbh and would welcome him back with open arms.

Don't get me wrong Mick, I dont dislike him. He was a great player and if I was in his shoes at the time I'd have left too he was a world beater and we were not ready to progress on the field to match his ambition.

I'd also have taken him back in a heart beat, I still would he is pure quality, I hated seeing him in the Chelsea jersey on Sunday but I still respect him.

My point is dont be fouled by the I love you so much and would come back, I think Chelsea was sorted very early on Arsene and Jose elluded to that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If only we were allowed to ban certain words from the thread...

You may not like it and probably a whole host of others dont either at this stage, he's gone he's not coming back etc etc. BUT this will always be an issue for lots of fans like it or not. Yes we have Ozil (who currently is'nt contributing half as much as Cesc) but given our injury record it was criminal to pass up on him, even more criminal to strengthen a direct rival. People try to justify it by saying he was poor for Barca and why would they let him go but thats just an arguement to try and deflect from what was an awful decision by the club. For as long as he is producing the goods and our midfield isnt, it will be a stick to beat Wenger with
    Why ban it, its the stupidest call in history not brining him back, IF we could have. I believe we could have.

Someone like him coming back when players are always leaving is huge, it shows a lot. Now he is being outstanding for a direct rival. We are just fans, this is an Arsenal issue. All this SH!T about, 'talk about the players we have' Fcuk that, we haven't got enough to even talk about.

The club has consistenty failed, it is early October and we have made a disgrace of ourselves by not bringing back a former Club Captain because we have other players. It is because he is too stubron, that is why he lets them all go. He has an ego that is too big and proud. I am pissed off and an Arsenal fan and I'll come in here talking about Cesc all I want.

Agree completely, I understand that lots wouldnt though
    You are making a huge assumption there, Cesc wanted out of Arsenal, went of strike to leave and tbh I doubt very much he wanted to come back, its more than likely Chelsea was his destination no matter what we did.

Did Wenger not say just last week that he turned down Cesc?
    Cesc wanted out of Arsenal, like I would want to play for Arsenal if I was playing for Valencia and had the chance to be with my family, speaking my language and culture. I will stand by my huge assumption. He loved playing for Arsenal, loves Arsenal and wanted to come back. I may have rose tinted glasses but I am a cynical man and I truly believe that Wenger turned him down.

Again I agree but all of us in here will never agree on this issue so its a pointless debate

Don't get me wrong Mick, I dont dislike him. He was a great player and if I was in his shoes at the time I'd have left too he was a world beater and we were not ready to progress on the field to match his ambition.

This 1000 times.
    Why does he take so much abuse for wanting to further his career when it was the clubs lack of ambition that probably was the deciding factor, issues like that grind my gears because I think the club get off too lightly from fans

wonga77 wrote: »

Did Wenger not say just last week that he turned down Cesc?

He said we were not looking to buy him we didnt need a creative player we bought Ozil etc, but he also said

'I believe his decision was already made (to go to Chelsea). I personally believe that deal was done a long time ago, early 2014. I didn’t speak to him directly. I was informed that he might go to Chelsea, but when I was informed I thought the deal was already done.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He said we were not looking to buy him we didnt need a creative player we bought Ozil etc, but he also said

'I believe his decision was already made (to go to Chelsea). I personally believe that deal was done a long time ago, early 2014. I didn’t speak to him directly. I was informed that he might go to Chelsea, but when I was informed I thought the deal was already done.'

I read that too.
    Also read the complete opposite.

I think if the club were in a postion they should have bought him back but we'll never know.
    On the second part, again I may be wrong but theres a real covering his own arse feel to that quote, again we'll probably never know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think if the club were in a postion they should have bought him back but we'll never know.
    On the second part, again I may be wrong but theres a real covering his own arse feel to that quote, again we'll probably never know for sure

We've to wait until Cesc does a Keano...:D

I'm sure everyone one of us would have loved Cesc back at Arsenal and in hindsight everyone will accept it was a mistake in not bringing him back...but for whatever reasons he is now with Chelsea and as much as we all liked him, its time to move on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The ex girlfriend metaphors are so ****ing cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oh more Cesc talk fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm going to have to write some sort of Adblock extension to block out any Cesc talk to me, it's not good for the heart :pac:

I'm going to have to write some sort of Adblock extension to block out any Cesc talk to me, it's not good for the heart :pac:

I think Wenger beat you to it.
    He has also blocked out any talk of DM, CB etc. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

On Ozil injury it seems club actually asked German FA to check him.

"Ozil complained of a sore left knee after the game and the club advised the German FA to run medical checks when he joined up with his international squad." - Arsenal.com

and there you have the ineptitude of the Arsenal medical staff...
    whats the best thing todo with 40 million worth of sore knee.

put it a plane , travelling and hauling ass across Europe. :mad:
    who knows that trip might have made the tear worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gibbs, Chambers, Wilshere and Welbeck all start For England tonight. Hopefully San Marino aren't overly physical

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Apparently Kos is injured now too. FML 😓

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Here's a statement to get things off the Cesc talk.

It actually doesn't matter who we sign or don't, Cesc, Khedira or whoever. As long as our best players are spending 3 months a season injured, there's no hope of us winning anything.

I know people are saying 'Arsne was criminal not to build on last season' and there's some truth in that but right now our entire first choice midfield and attack are injured.

This is not an absolution of Arsenal but if Silva, Toure, Fernandinho, Navas and Ageuro were injured or if Costa, Fabregas, Hazard, Matic, Oscar were out for Chelsea.

I mean no other club would be talking transfers or tactics - it'd be 'we're fooked till this clears'

But it's so commonplace with us that we're expected to take it in our stride.

No hope till it gets sorted.

I'm beginning to think all the other teams are on drugs. How can we still be getting it so wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gosplan wrote: »
    Here's a statement to get things off the Cesc talk.

It actually doesn't matter who we sign or don't, Cesc, Khedira or whoever. As long as our best players are spending 3 months a season injured, there's no hope of us winning anything.

I know people are saying 'Arsne was criminal not to build on last season' and there's some truth in that but right now our entire first choice midfield and attack are injured.

This is not an absolution of Arsenal but if Silva, Toure, Fernandinho, Navas and Ageuro were injured or if Costa, Fabregas, Hazard, Matic, Oscar were out for Chelsea.

I mean no other club would be talking transfers or tactics - it'd be 'we're fooked till this clears'

But it's so commonplace with us that we're expected to take it in our stride.

No hope till it gets sorted.

I'm beginning to think all the other teams are on drugs. How can we still be getting it so wrong?

Outdated training methods? The bulk of the coaching and fitness team have been there years. Wonder how much input Shad actually has.

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Apparently Kos is injured now too. FML 😓

Expected to be ok for Hull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

This forum is gone to ****e

Raf32 wrote: »
    Outdated training methods? The bulk of the coaching and fitness team have been there years. Wonder how much input Shad actually has.

But I can't believe that could be ignored.

Going back to big games where we played an almost entire second string away to Barca, or when we'd a back four of Djourou, Kos, Jenks and Traore plus Coq making his debut and lost 8-2 to Utd.

Wenger's stubborn but he's not stupid and fixing this problem is more important to the club than anything.

We don't play a system that people can just slot in and out of, we play to the individual quality of our players and their understanding of one another on the pitch.

Ok boys Olivier is gone. We've someone new to bed into our style.

Danny, meet Aaron and Mikel.

Next week. Danny meet Jack, he's back, Aaron's injured.

Next week, Danny meet Mesuit, he's moved behind you now.

Next week, Ozil's back wide, meet Santi. That's Matthieu behind him by the way.

Next week, meet jack again, he's back. That the Ox beside him.

Next week, meet theo - you've never met him before. Ozil's gone btw.

And in all of this Arsne is trying to get the players used to a new formation.

He's not so stubborn as to say 'my training methods are more important than my first 11'

• Advertisement

Just to point out one more thing.

Based on last year and our current squad, we're all fairly hopeful about seeing the day when we might get that midfield of

Ramsey
    Walcott - Ozil - Sanchez

At the start of the year we needed Walcott to come back.

Now however Sanchez is the only fit one.

Chelsea have a really good squad I think. The four in frot of the defence that particularly stand out are Matic, Hazard, Cesc and Costa.

They have all played pretty much every minute of the first 7 games of the season.

We have no hope unless this injury thing gets sorted.

P.S. Ospina injured now too. Maybe that was mentioned earlier. I mean who the **** gets an injury to their sub goalie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

re: injuries

Seems to be a bit of a scrap developing between Arsenal and DFB medical team over the Ozil injury. Wenger criticising DFB over the diagnosis, shouldn't have tried to train him on Wednesday or something. Also he doesn't trust the diagnosis of DFB and Bayern med Mueller-Wohlfahrt.

Not sure Arsenal should be making waves over how to handle injuries with the way there seems to be a serious problem on that front.

What baffles me is the number of injuries that are seemingly not down to a knock or a challenge but down to ... I don't know what, there must be something. The way the injuries are going season after season Occams Razor would tell you its not bad luck.

Just saw on PhysioRoom that Ospina has no return date. Glorious debut for Martinez in a few weeks? :pac:

Just saw on PhysioRoom that Ospina has no return date. Glorious debut for Martinez in a few weeks? :pac:

Hey button,

Public apology for taking it a bit too far yesterday. I still disagree with some of your original post but will put my hand up and say I went about it like an ass.

You're opinions are as valid (and perhaps more) as anyone's.

No offence intended. Up the ar5e!

The Ox on, half this outfield English team Arsenal players.

At least they'll shut up about that one now.

Ox on at half time. 5 Arsenal players on for England. Wonder when that last happened?

greendom wrote: »
    Ox on at half time. 5 Arsenal players on for England. Wonder when that last happened?

Ox to Welbeck makes it 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wenger: "Spain won WC with 6 Barca players, Germany won it with 6 players from Bayern. I hope next time England win it with 6 from Arsenal."

Could be prophetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

greendom wrote: »

'X years since arsenal won a trophy'

'Arsenal need to have a core of English players'

That's two down, now if Arsene could just work on shaking off the 'Arsenal players are always injured' , 'Arsenal don't win big games' and 'X years since Arsenal won the league' tags from the big book of Arsenal clichés and we'd be flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

5-0 None of the San Marino players wanted Townsend's jersey at full time! :D

A couple of years ago when we were battling for 4th and had a serious amount of players out with injury we went on a great run.
    I firmly believe that the manager having only a set number of players helped the team. Wenger had to rely on the same batch and the team gelled as a result.
    Sometimes when they are all fit Wenger seems to think that he has to constantly rotate to please everyone and this can have a detrimental effect overall.

We might go on a similar run now hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We'll go on a great run because our fixtures are piss easy, it happens every season.

If you're talking about 2012/13 the last 16 matches were:
    12 wins: West Ham, Stoke, Sunderland, Villa, Swansea, Reading, West Brom, Norwich, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle.
    3 draws: Liverpool, Everton, United (who had already won the league).
    1 loss: Spurs

Cup: Beat Brighton, lost to Blackburn.
    CL: Lost 3-1 to Bayern, beat them 2-0.

So the league form was consistent without any great results, cup wasn't up to much, Europe was over in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

AdamD wrote: »
    We'll go on a great run because our fixtures are piss easy, it happens every season.

You make it sound like its a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Only heard the Ozil injury news today having been distracted with work and other things the last few days...

Not gonna trawl the thread and don't have much To say on it.. Just a shrug of the shoulders was my response when someone asked about it.. It's one thing after the other.. Is it our training pitches or something else? Who the **** knows what's going on anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

12 weeks sky are saying .
    It's a fcuking disaster , same ****e every year with injuries and always left short
    In vital positions.
    So frustrating .

gosplan wrote: »
    The Ox on, half this outfield English team Arsenal players.

At least they'll shut up about that one now.

You'd like to think so but I seen someone post in the match thread the other and it was an Arsenal fan as far as I remember saying "problem with Arsenal is to many English players"

Damned if you damned if you don't.

Theo and Gnarby back in training, Ramsey back training this day week and Arteta about the same, some positives atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

With so many wingers available soon. I wouldn't mind seeing Sanchez playing in behind Welbeck in some games.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The way things are panning out I'd say the return of a fit and in-form Walcott is preferable to an uninjured Ozil - I just think Walcott can be more effective.

Despite what you think of Cesc, AW needs to revise his concept of what a squad is. Having faith in your starting 11+ is admirable but you need to have equally talented players on the bench or in rotation if you want to win anything.

Not signing Cesc wasn't so much about having Ozil already in the team, AW should have realized that Cesc was at the very least going to be our 2nd best midfielder. Why would you keep faith with TR, JW, LP warming the bench when you could have had Cesc.

But it's not just about Cesc, he's just an obvious example. The point is that you can never have enough good players - regardless of what your priorities are.

If a world class players comes and says he wants to play for you, you make it happen. It's not as if Arsenal don't have the money to buy depth as well as starting positions

• Advertisement

Because we need starting positions first depth second.

We actually have a good and strong enough squad to compete were stacked in attacking midfield already. Even with Ozils injury.

We're lacking a DM and a CF in our first choice starting eleven to win the league imo Welbeck may yet prove to be CF we need.

Would Ferguson have took Cesc back after forcing a move and going on strike? Bet your arse he wouldn't and were Wenger gets slated for it Ferguson would have been commended for it.

Just to add a bit more.

I've already said we mismanage our transfer funds and don't sign the players we need targeting specific areas but instead sign players who are readily available leaving us with an unbalanced squad and not strengthening the areas we need most.

There were those who have said sign Cesc and play him DM might as well said sign him and play him RB for all the sense that would make.

To many people letting there heart rule the roost when it comes to Cesc and not thinking logically.

How he is even in there hearts is beyond me considering he went on strike and forced a move and many of the same people wouldn't have RVP or Nasri near the club but would welcome him back with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How he is even in there hearts is beyond me considering he went on strike and forced a move and many of the same people wouldn't have RVP or Nasri near the club but would welcome him back with open arms.
    Where is the proof of this?

It's said on here all the time but there has never been any proof given that this happened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My point isn't necessarily about Cesc - he's just an obvious example.

In financial terms Arsenal should be able to sign whoever they deem will strengthen the squad - if they become available. Regardless of what the priorities are.

Last summer we can all agree that we failed to buy players in the positions we thought were necessary. That's all fine if the alternative was to sign players that either add significant depth or improve in other areas of the team. At the moment it's debatable whether we strengthened enough this year.

And for once this summer wasn't scarce of talent in the transfer market.

At some point Arsenal are going to have to spend significantly if they are to be believed that silverware is a priority. I understand that we have started to compete in transfers somewhat with Sanchez and Ozil but the real competition is in wages and in that we are far behind some of the other more "attractive" clubs.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    My point isn't necessarily about Cesc - he's just an obvious example.

In financial terms Arsenal should be able to sign whoever they deem will strengthen the squad - if they become available. Regardless of what the priorities are.

Last summer we can all agree that we failed to buy players in the positions we thought were necessary. That's all fine if the alternative was to sign players that either add significant depth or improve in other areas of the team. At the moment it's debatable whether we strengthened enough this year.

And for once this summer wasn't scarce of talent in the transfer market.

At some point Arsenal are going to have to spend significantly if they are to be believed that silverware is a priority. I understand that we have started to compete in transfers somewhat with Sanchez and Ozil but the real competition is in wages and in that we are far behind some of the other more "attractive" clubs.

Again that's not true Chelsea often deemed a more attractive club due to wages have a wage only ten million more than our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Just to add a bit more.

I've already said we mismanage our transfer funds and don't sign the players we need targeting specific areas but instead sign players who are readily available leaving us with an unbalanced squad and not strengthening the areas we need most.

There were those who have said sign Cesc and play him DM might as well said sign him and play him RB for all the sense that would make.

To many people letting there heart rule the roost when it comes to Cesc and not thinking logically.

Agreed re Cesc but it is very frustrating seeing him play as well as he's ever played for one of our biggest rivals.

If he keeps up this form he's a shoe-in for Player of the Year.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where is the proof of this?

It's said on here all the time but there has never been any proof given that this happened.

It's pretty much common knowledge there has been article upon article written on it.

FFS the lad let Spanish players but a Barca Jersey on him when he was still an Arsenal player. He refused to play the club had to pretend he was injured to save face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Why the fudge are we still talking about Cesc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Why the fudge are we still talking about Cesc?

Why do people think that making comments like this is going to stop it? People in here are always going to want to talk about him unfortunately, and they are well entitled to, if you don't want to then just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Why do people think that making comments like this is going to stop it? People in here are always going to want to talk about him unfortunately, and they are well entitled to, if you don't want to then just ignore them.

For God's sake, I've come in here to talk about Arsenal, not Chelsea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement