Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

on the goalkeeper situation we should have went for Lloris when he was Lyon he is so wasted at Spurs , Was never a fan of Woj he always seemed a small tiny upgrade on faulty manuel

If United, Chelsea or City wanted him now they would pay the rate and go challenge, despite having the money we wont go down that route we only chase players who are deemed available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

DenMan wrote: »
    Debuchy, Gibbs and Sanchez were the only three players who played well for us today! Three warriors on a team filled with cowards!

Didn't see much from Gibbs tbh. His crossing was very poor. He passes the ball backwards far too much as if he's afraid to take a man on or try for a more positive pass.
    Debuchy panicked for the second goal too but apart from that was just good.

We have very few warriors anytime the going gets tough so i basically agree with that.

wow 1 defeat and its back to the Wenger out ****e again

Couldn't give a toss who the manager is as long as we go out and battle. We didn't yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Very disappointing and frustrating. I don't know where to start really. I know im a Wengerite and defend him maybe too much at times but I did feel sorry for him regarding the concession of the first. His biggest issue now isn't when he gets it wrong..it's when a player does and he is the first port of call for blame...and, while incredibly stupid it still has the net effect of destabilising the club. Maybe he will step aside in the summer but I guarantee this....there will be no resignation or sacking until then. Calling for it or demanding it is silly on two fronts....it won't happen and if it did....no successor we actually might want would be in a position to move in late January or early February. I understand and accept the criticism but surely the above points are true and we should accept this?

Injuries are horrific. In the scheme of things that result is not at all surprising. To think it was our experienced back 5 that screwed up is sickening.

Very disappointed with Chesney....but he was our MOM v Liverpool, had a superb season last season and is still developing. Completely agree a spell warming the bench is no bad thing but to write him off as an Arsenal GK...well again...it's just madness and reactionary. Good job United didn't turf De Gea out when he dropped a few crosses eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

wow 1 defeat and its back to the Wenger out ****e again

TBH it is the manner of the defeat that is becoming predictable. Spineless. If it was a one off you could quite justifiability blame the players. The fact it is happening on a regular basis is the fault of the manager because he has not addressed the issues at hand that are causing these problems.

It is not only the defeats that are a problem we have been lucky in a number of games this season putting in dreadful performances where the result has totally and utterly flattered us.

If we had lost today but had put up a good fighting performance, showing desire and a will to win then I don't think you would have the reaction that is being expressed here by a number of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's going to be a long season isn't it. This team really needs some spending on it. no good shouting "Wenger out" cause he's not going to go anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That was our 5th league defeat or more.

Which was it?

Didn't see much from Gibbs tbh. His crossing was very poor. He passes the ball backwards far too much as if he's afraid to take a man on or try for a more positive pass.
    Debuchy panicked for the second goal too but apart from that was just good.

We have very few warriors anytime the going gets tough so i basically agree with that.

Gibbs is really awful when he gets into the top half. Ox looks like he needs some time out of the first team. Debuchy was at fault for the 2nd goal. Carzola had a stinker as did Rosicky. Mert is still going to cause us problems for the rest of the season. Our GK will always have those moments of madness in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Thing with Wenger leaving staying is you are more or less guaranteed 4th with him every year.

You have two choices.
    -Stay with Wenger and never win the league due to awful tactics v big teams and guarantee Champs League.
    -Go with a new manager and possibly win the league or possibly have a "Utd/Moyes" situation.

Very disappointing and frustrating. I don't know where to start really. I know im a Wengerite and defend him maybe too much at times but I did feel sorry for him regarding the concession of the first. His biggest issue now isn't when he gets it wrong..it's when a player does and he is the first port of call for blame...and, while incredibly stupid it still has the net effect of destabilising the club. Maybe he will step aside in the summer but I guarantee this....there will be no resignation or sacking until then. Calling for it or demanding it is silly on two fronts....it won't happen and if it did....no successor we actually might want would be in a position to move in late January or early February. I understand and accept the criticism but surely the above points are true and we should accept this?

Injuries are horrific. In the scheme of things that result is not at all surprising. To think it was our experienced back 5 that screwed up is sickening.

Very disappointed with Chesney....but he was our MOM v Liverpool, had a superb season last season and is still developing. Completely agree a spell warming the bench is no bad thing but to write him off as an Arsenal GK...well again...it's just madness and reactionary. Good job United didn't turf De Gea out when he dropped a few crosses eh?

Not a goos comparison to be fair.De Gea was poor for his first season only. He has been brilliant since.
    Chez has been first choice keeper for years now.
    His mistakes are occurring in the same manner every season since.
    He is not learning and is always too impetuous.
    He is not a bad keeper but you can never rely on him. Great save one minute, disaster the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nothing will change as long as we have a manager who controls the board and is more worried about balancing financial spreadsheets than winning trophies. Every man and his dog could see we started the season without adequate defensive cover. We have been 5 years calling for a DMF, and somehow there are still some fools that believe we'll get one this transfer window. The truth is that we are average team who sometimes show some moments of brilliance against the smaller teams, but when up against any team of strength of a tactically competent manager we are shown up for what we truly are. Wenger will never win a league again, and the board don't care as they all make their profits and he keeps the finances in check.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Nothing will change as long as we have a manager who controls the board and is more worried about balancing financial spreadsheets than winning trophies. Every man and his dog could see we started the season without adequate defensive cover. We have been 5 years calling for a DMF, and somehow there are still some fools that believe we'll get one this transfer window. The truth is that we are average team who sometimes show some moments of brilliance against the smaller teams, but when up against any team of strength of a tactically competent manager we are shown up for what we truly are. Wenger will never win a league again, and the board don't care as they all make their profits and he keeps the finances in check.

That's what it's all about sadly is making money, and Wenger is a winner in that department. We are a average team really getting away with it over the past few years. But plenty of fans out there that are happy with it sadly. How long can you go on the "give it another season" or "its the injuries" excuses?. It's becoming a safety net with a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Looper007 wrote: »
    That's what it's all about sadly is making money, and Wenger is a winner in that department. We are a average team really getting away with it over the past few years. But plenty of fans out there that are happy with it sadly. How long can you go on the "give it another season" or "its the injuries" excuses?. It's becoming a safety net with a lot of people.

When we had the "scarce resource" issue I would have been in that camp. We are now in the second season of coming out of the era of austerity that building the new stadium heralded and while we have gotten one major and another good player but for the rest there seems to be the same "bartering" mentality in place. If we have a need in a position we should now be spending money to fill it with players capable of winning the league and not relying on free signatures like Flamini or youngsters who don't have the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So with a net spend of £86m in the last 2 seasons it's still the same old penny pinching Wenger. Say whatever you want about all the rest, but I'm sick of hearing this been spouted by absolutely everyone. Change the tune on that front at least lads!

Could end up behind Spurs after today. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Could end up behind Spurs after today. :pac:

Sure looking like it...

Unsure whether watching Chelsea getting taken apart by Spurs makes me feel better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Table as it stands. Spurs ahead of us!!

Love seeing Chelsea getting beat but hate seeing spurs being the ones doing it :/

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Table as it stands. Spurs ahead of us!!

Love seeing Chelsea getting beat but hate seeing spurs being the ones doing it :/

It's crazy that they could win by one goal today, have a goal difference of +1, and somehow be 5th in the table.

• Advertisement

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I know this might make me a s**t Arsenal fan but I'm never concerned about Spurs. I'm an Irish supporter of Arsenal so the North London rivalry isn't as important to me. Liverpool, United and Chelsea are the teams owing to the last 20 years. If Spurs beat any of the rest to top 4 I'd be fine. If they beat Chelsea 10-1 il be happy with that.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's crazy that they could win by one goal today, have a goal difference of +1, and somehow be 5th in the table.

Meh, if they win today they will have won a game more than us.

I know this might make me a s**t Arsenal fan but I'm never concerned about Spurs. I'm an Irish supporter of Arsenal so the North London rivalry isn't as important to me. Liverpool, United and Chelsea are the teams owing to the last 20 years. If Spurs beat any of the rest to top 4 I'd be fine. If they beat Chelsea 10-1 il be happy with that.

And here I was thinking you were Spanish :D

Another assist!

efb wrote: »
    Another assist!

Very prophetic that nearly everyone said we didn't need him.
    We needed him today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

L'prof wrote: »
    So with a net spend of £86m in the last 2 seasons it's still the same old penny pinching Wenger. Say whatever you want about all the rest, but I'm sick of hearing this been spouted by absolutely everyone. Change the tune on that front at least lads!

The thing is is makes no difference who we buy, no difference.

If we go out and buy Khedira and Hummels tomorrow, they'll both be injured by next week.

We will lose fourth this season.

Injuries are getting worse, not better.

Rosicky and Kos back but neither able to play two games in a row.

Flamini, Welbeck and Pod out.

Nothing else matters till this gets sorted.

It started bad and has been getting worse all year. It is GETTING WORSE!!

This is the year we drop of out the CL IMO.

You just can't expect to do anything of note with 8-10 players out for every game.

Just to add that for everyone that gave out about our defending today, it should also be noted that it is yet another game where we haven't attacked well enough and failed to score.

We needed him today.

He would have been injured.

gosplan wrote: »
    He would have been injured.

I still think we'll get fourth.
    I'm not happy with fourth though.

Just to add that for everyone that gave out about our defending today, it should also be noted that it is yet another game where we haven't attacked well enough and failed to score.

Southampton had an easy time defending today.

We had a bunch of central players and Alexis. Defend deep, concede set pieces and watch them do nothing with them.

It was lack of variety.

• Advertisement

BTW. I don't think it's fair to blame the players for the attacking performance today.

No of games started in position played today by midfield and attack??

Rosicky - 0 or 1
    Chambers - 0
    Sanchez - 0
    Coq - 1
    Caz - 4 or 5
    Ox - maybe 8-10

Edited to include: and while we're at it look at te performances of the Chelsea, City, Pool etc defences. Tired players switching off.

Lads if ye were Chelski fans would ye want Jose sacked???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

See I fimt mind that disjointed midfield and a knackered striker

That was our first choice back 5 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Had a really good feeling about this season and thought we would go far, I wish we could start over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Joint top of the league, league cup semi final, fills the necessary holes in a squad. Would love him.

People arent saying it after one off games, its persistent now. The summer broke me and many others im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We needed him today.

Great assist and I no what your saying

But what no one is saying is he left matic completely exposed today and that's why Spurs ran straight through them

Raf32 wrote: »
    Joint top of the league, league cup semi final, fills the necessary holes in a squad. Would love him.

People arent saying it after one off games, its persistent now. The summer broke me and many others im sure.

They spent billions - the league cup semi? Wenger won the Community Sheild and people piśsed all over it.

They are 2nd as it stands- not joint top

It doesn't happen to Jose as much as it happens to Arsene in fairness to the Wenger out brigade.
    You can bet that he will rectify any problems he sees too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

They spent billions - the league cup semi? Wenger won the Community Sheild and people piśsed all over it.

They are 2nd as it stands- not joint top

I was delighted with the SHield but the regression from then is massive. Id rather be second then 6th and behind "rubbish" spurs.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I was delighted with the SHield but the regression from then is massive. Id rather be second then 6th and behind "rubbish" spurs.

Once since when

• Advertisement

It doesn't happen to Jose as much as it happens to Arsene in fairness to the Wenger out brigade.
    You can bet that he will rectify any problems he sees too.

They have considerably more resources at their disposal

God could not do anything with a midfield of Chambers and Coq.

Injuries injuries injuries.

Look at the consistency in fitness Chelsea have gotten from about 14 players this season. Like WTF???

At Arsenal we have

Players getting random long term back injuries
    Players who can break a leg taking a peno
    Players that get injured regularly without actually playing
    A squad of players bar three (Mert, Chambers, Sanchez) who just cannot physically withstand a run of four matches.
    2 relatively young defenders suffering from chronic tendinitis in 3 years.
    We can't do anything until this is solved.

As mentioned before, it's worse than ever and disimproving.

If we swapped squads with Chelsea at the start of the season, we'd be recalling all their loan players right now while Ozil would be leading the assist charts.

Our wage bill is bigger.

It's not all about resources.
    Jose is generally a good tactician and motivator.
    Wenger seems to have lost that skill.

Our wage bill is bigger.

Only since July and the year returns wont be don't til April

Blogger Podolski and his sore groin cost too much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It doesn't really matter what personnel we have out, we are painfully easy to predict and score against. It's been that way for years, and the only unifying thing is the manager. Comments like the one earlier in the thread "we lose so here come the Wenger out brigade" are so f*cking annoying. Most of those in here calling for him to step aside (me included) have been doing so for a long time. A couple of wins against the likes of QPR and West Ham won't change my opinion when days like today happen so often.

We are going nowhere with Wenger. Injuries are a lame excuse, we ALWAYS have injuries. Not having an adequate squad to cover that is inexcusable and sadly a consistent facet of this manager. Mertesacker has been stinking this season but we can't try anything else because there's no alternative. I'm sick of it. Sick of deja vu seasons. Sick of promise in the summer only to be let down by a stubborn manager who fails to address glaring inefficiencies in his team. Sick of teams scoring against us with their first half hearted attempt on goal. Sick if the poxy schoolboy stuff that infects our squad. Sick of facing the likes of rubbish United teams knowing that we're not going to win.

This season is horrific and I just wish it would end now. There's literally nothing to look forward to. CL? Couldn't give a toss. As soon as we face a tactically sound coach we'll lose. FA Cup? Meh. Papers over the cracks like it did last season.

Its pessimistic I know but at this stage this team gives me no enjoyment anymore.

It's not all about resources.
    Jose is generally a good tactician and motivator.
    Wenger seems to have lost that skill.

Sure. Where did he lose it???

Jose hasn't won the European Cup for Chelsea

Atm they are Joint Top

keano_afc wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what personnel we have out, we are painfully easy to predict and score against. It's been that way for years, and the only unifying thing is the manager. Comments like the one earlier in the thread "we lose so here come the Wenger out brigade" are so f*cking annoying. Most of those in here calling for him to step aside (me included) have been doing so for a long time. A couple of wins against the likes of QPR and West Ham won't change my opinion when days like today happen so often.

Aye, but even after wins against poor teams we're not allowed to say what we think. Anything other than "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" after a scrappy win against a **** team is being negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

keano_afc wrote: »

We are going nowhere with Wenger. Injuries are a lame excuse, we ALWAYS have injuries. Not having an adequate squad to cover that is inexcusable and sadly a consistent facet of this manager. Mertesacker has been stinking this season but we can't try anything else because there's no alternative. I'm sick of it. Sick of deja vu seasons. Sick of promise in the summer only to be let down by a stubborn manager who fails to address glaring inefficiencies in his team. Sick of teams scoring against us with their first half hearted attempt on goal. Sick if the poxy schoolboy stuff that infects our squad. Sick of facing the likes of rubbish United teams knowing that we're not going to win.

This season is horrific and I just wish it would end now. There's literally nothing to look forward to. CL? Couldn't give a toss. As soon as we face a tactically sound coach we'll lose. FA Cup? Meh. Papers over the cracks like it did last season.

Its pessimistic I know but at this stage this team gives me no enjoyment anymore.

Great post. Sums up how I feel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement