Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

efb wrote: »
    Only since July and the year returns wont be don't til April

Blogger Podolski and his sore groin cost too much

I doesn't matter when it happened. At present we spend more per week on playing personnel than Chelsea. You can't be pedantic about Chelsea being second and then choose to ignore current facts because it suits your bullshít Wengerite views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sure. Where did he lose it???

Jose hasn't won the European Cup for Chelsea

I don't know where he lost it but he lost it for sure. Not worried about Jose either except for the fact that addresses problems unlike Arsene.

I'm not worried about the European Cup as I have said many times, it's the EPL that counts for me. Couldn't give a toss about the CL as we go out at the same stage nearly every year because we're not strong enough every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

keano_afc wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what personnel we have out, we are painfully easy to predict and score against. It's been that way for years, and the only unifying thing is the manager. Comments like the one earlier in the thread "we lose so here come the Wenger out brigade" are so f*cking annoying. Most of those in here calling for him to step aside (me included) have been doing so for a long time. A couple of wins against the likes of QPR and West Ham won't change my opinion when days like today happen so often.

We are going nowhere with Wenger. Injuries are a lame excuse, we ALWAYS have injuries. Not having an adequate squad to cover that is inexcusable and sadly a consistent facet of this manager. Mertesacker has been stinking this season but we can't try anything else because there's no alternative. I'm sick of it. Sick of deja vu seasons. Sick of promise in the summer only to be let down by a stubborn manager who fails to address glaring inefficiencies in his team. Sick of teams scoring against us with their first half hearted attempt on goal. Sick if the poxy schoolboy stuff that infects our squad. Sick of facing the likes of rubbish United teams knowing that we're not going to win.

This season is horrific and I just wish it would end now. There's literally nothing to look forward to. CL? Couldn't give a toss. As soon as we face a tactically sound coach we'll lose. FA Cup? Meh. Papers over the cracks like it did last season.

Its pessimistic I know but at this stage this team gives me no enjoyment anymore.

Injuries are the exact excuse.

You can't say 'we need more players' but 'injures aren't an excuse'.

I have no doubt that if we had signed more players they'd just be injured too.

I'm not absolving Wenger or the club of this. Just saying you can't judge anything while you've 5 of your first 6 midfielders out. Coq is not supposed to play for us - he's not good enough. 19 year old defenders are not supposed to play their first game at DMF in a tricky yet vital away game.

You can't judge anything from that other than we're in a state of permanent crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Quazzie wrote: »
    I doesn't matter when it happened. At present we spend more per week on playing personnel than Chelsea. You can't be pedantic about Chelsea being second and then choose to ignore current facts because it suits your bullshít Wengerite views.

It's assumed we spend more, can't be clarified till the returns are done. Unless you just believe tabloid headlines

It's assumed we spend more, can't be clarified till the returns are done. Unless you just believe tabloid headlines
    Yet you'll accept "They have more resources than us" without question?

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

I'm not absolving Wenger or the club of this. Just saying you can't judge anything while you've 5 of your first 6 midfielders out. Coq is not supposed to play for us - he's not good enough. 19 year old defenders are not supposed to play their first game at DMF in a tricky yet vital away game.

You can't judge anything from that other than we're in a state of permanent crisis.

You can judge what we had on the field by their lack of determination and effort though.
    And you can also judge the manager by the lack of motivation shown by the team.

Yet you'll accept "They have more resources than us" without question?

The UEFA fair play rules show as much - and the clubs annual returns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You see you can blame Wenger for this. As stated before we have had a serious deficiency at DMF for 5 seasons. It was obvious before the season started that we were extremely light with our CB's especially after TvM was sold. Any decent tactical manager would have addressed these deficiencies, Wenger didn't and now we are reaping the rewards by using players who are either sub-standard or burning out youngsters who aren't ready for this amount of pressure to be heaped onto them. Even Chambers who showed real promise at the start of the season is looking spent these days now.

The UEFA fair play rules show as much - and the clubs annual returns
    A few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

After a defeat Ya have the same few posters with there digs at other posters for not having the same opinion as them

• Advertisement

I don't know where he lost it but he lost it for sure. Not worried about Jose either except for the fact that addresses problems unlike Arsene.

I'm not worried about the European Cup as I have said many times, it's the EPL that counts for me. Couldn't give a toss about the CL as we go out at the same stage nearly every year because we're not strong enough every year.
    Why doesn't Arsenal take on board your views. Re UCL and BPL???

A few years ago.

Even last year

Why doesn't Arsenal take on board your views. Re UCL and BPL???

Because they make profit with the current set up. They can make more by finishing 4th on the EPL and last 16 in the CL than they would do by investing in the team and going for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Let's face it, that Spurs team are fairly average yet they trounced a better team than them through a combination of hard work and taking their chances. And they didn't blow it when getting in front. Why can't we ever do that against a top team?

Because they make profit with the current set up. They can make more by finishing 4th on the EPL and last 16 in the CL than they would do by investing in the team and going for the win.

How much is required and the probability of it coming off?
    Do we have the financial resources to do it? Consistently?

I'm sure we still have that famous 70 million we had for years :pac:

It's a risk, and the board are happy collecting cheques and making profits, so they don't feel the need to take that risk. Funnily enough a 5th place finish or worse might force their hand.

gandalf wrote: »
    You see you can blame Wenger for this. As stated before we have had a serious deficiency at DMF for 5 seasons. It was obvious before the season started that we were extremely light with our CB's especially after TvM was sold. Any decent tactical manager would have addressed these deficiencies, Wenger didn't and now we are reaping the rewards by using players who are either sub-standard or burning out youngsters who aren't ready for this amount of pressure to be heaped onto them. Even Chambers who showed real promise at the start of the season is looking spent these days now.

There are still squad limits.

IMO Wenger should have bought, without a doubt.

But I also have no doubt that right now Khedira would be injured instead of Flamini or something like that if you get me.

Yes he should sign better players, I don't disagree.

But we have so few players that can go a run of matches WITHOUT getting injured.

Actually I would love us to win the CL just to get that monkey off our backs as well. However in reality the league should be where we as a team are always concentrating our efforts. If you get the consistency to challenge and win the Premier League then the other trophies will follow.

I desperately want the other top teams to fear playing us again instead of rubbing their hands together in glee expecting us to roll over again like a subservient puppy when we face them as we seem to do over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

But I also have no doubt that right now Khedira would be injured instead of Flamini or something like that if you get me.

But we have so few players that can go a run of matches WITHOUT getting injured.

But the injuries have been going on for years now and the only common denominator is Arsene. His training methods are outdated according to many and he does himself no favours with the profile of players he picks up. Small technical players will always injure more regularly than top physical athletes like Chelsea have. He is also guilty of overplaying players like last season where he broke Ozil and Ramsey over the xmas period. Its the managers fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Chambers is only playing there because the manager refuses to strengthen that position and has neglected it for years. You reap what you sow gosplan. He's entirely to blame for that. Also, saying buying a DMF was pointless because he'd only be injured anyway is the most strawman of arguments.

It is only part of the solution.

Even though they brought someone in to try and solve the injury issue it seems to be worse than ever? There obviously is a deficiency somewhere that hasn't been sorted yet, Is it training methods?

Motivation is an extremely worrying factor as well. Watching the second half of the match today I didn't see a motivated performance from our team at all. FFS we were 2-0 down? Only Sanchez and Gibbs seemed to be trying. Sanchez looks burnt out and Gibbs is well Gibbs so they alone weren't our saviours. The others playing were just doing the minimum. Anytime we come up against motivated, well organised and tactically aware opposition we seem to fold. This is a managerial problem.

BTW Khedira would be injured at this stage if we had of signed him but tbh he wasn't the answer. A top class CB should have been first on the shopping list in August.

Raf32 wrote: »
    But the injuries have been going on for years now and the only common denominator is Arsene. His training methods are outdated according to many and he does himself no favours with the profile of players he picks up. Small technical players will always injure more regularly than top physical athletes like Chelsea have. He is also guilty of overplaying players like last season where he broke Ozil and Ramsey over the xmas period. Its the managers fault.

The ONLY common denominator???

Raf32 wrote: »

If you think that sacking Wenger will make that go away overnight that's one thing.

If it's the physicality of the players, then we need to sack the boss and buy a new team.

How are Hazard, Oscar and Fab not injured though?

That kind of throws the 'small technical player' idea out the window.

So it's the training methods.

But I refuse to believe that a man like Wenger would be doing something so obviously wrong and injuring all his players constantly against all the rcommendations of the medical staff.

This is not me saying Wenger isn't responsible.

This is basically me saying that until the injury problem is sorted, there is no point in taking apart tactics or performances or work rate or desire or substitutions.

When we are shorn of 10 players who would have started today if they had been fully available...

Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshire, Ozil, Pod, Giroud, Welbeck, Sanogo, Walcott

Just to put that in perspective that's

All our DMF's
    All our CMF's(except maybe Ox who's played a couple of games there recently)
    All our CF's

Anyway, when we are shorn of those players, we are a mid table team. And if you did likewise to City, Chelsea or Utd, you'd get the same results.

This is the only issue at Arsenal football club right now.

If sacking Wenger will make the injuries go away, he goes in the morning. You'd need to be sure though.

Chambers is only playing there because the manager refuses to strengthen that position and has neglected it for years. You reap what you sow gosplan. He's entirely to blame for that. Also, saying buying a DMF was pointless because he'd only be injured anyway is the most strawman of arguments.

Refused? How do you know he hadn't been trying to sign aomeone?

How would you attract the top players to Arsenal?

Well if he has been trying and failing for 5+ years then he really needs to step back. Personally I think Wenger should be giving a list of players he wants to another member of staff, and have nothing else to do with the negotiations. He is a penny pincher, and this has been shown in the past to be the stumbling block in many an important transfer.

Well if he has been trying and failing for 5+ years then he really needs to step back. Personally I think Wenger should be giving a list of players he wants to another member of staff, and have nothing else to do with the negotiations. He is a penny pincher, and this has been shown in the past to be the stumbling block in many an important transfer.

It's not quite as simple as that. Was Özil and Sanchez penny pinching? Podolski?

Wenger is the biggest attraction for players signing for Arsenal atm imho

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I think we should sign Ryan Shawcross in the morning. Add a bit of steel to the defence.

• Advertisement

That's not what I'm saying tbh.

Obviously better players make you better but getting our players playing full seasons is more important that that.

I think we should sign Ryan Shawcross in the morning. Add a bit of steel to the defence.

I'd rather not

Ya great idea...him and Ramsey can be room-mates on away trips.

Because even poor managers are able to strengthen their teams when the want to. There's no evidence he's been actively seeking a DMF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Get out and never come back

Because even poor managers are able to strengthen their teams when the want to. There's no evidence he's been actively seeking a DMF

Are you saying Wenger is a poor manager?

• Advertisement

Get out and never come back

A Ryan Shawcross type player is whats needed at the club. Wears his heart on his sleeve and a no nonsense defender (ask Rambo). There are too many pretty footballers at the club and not enough hard tackling physical players with leadership qualities.

It's not quite as simple as that. Was Özil and Sanchez penny pinching? Podolski?

It started to be obvious when we didn't sign Alonso over £2M in difference of valuation. That £2M cost us at least one league in my opinion. That was when it became obvious and it's been getting more and more obvious ever since.

A Ryan Shawcross type player is whats needed at the club. Wears his heart on his sleeve and a no nonsense defender (ask Rambo). There are too many pretty footballers at the club and not enough hard tackling physical players with leadership qualities.

Certainly the type of player we need but not him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Disgusting post.

Are you saying Wenger is a poor manager?

He's not the force he was. And when it comes to replacing players and sorting glaring holes in his squad, yes. He is poor at that.

• Advertisement

There are too many pretty footballers at the club and not enough hard tackling physical players with leadership qualities.

He's not a hard tackling physical player, he's a scumbag who regularly makes dangerous and career threatening challenges. Wouldn't want anyone like him near the club.

He's not the force he was. And when it comes to replacing players and sorting glaring holes in his squad, yes. He is poor at that.

When it comes to being pragmatic and going against a principle or two for the sake of the greater good of the team ...

... that's what he sucks at.

He's not a hard tackling physical player, he's a scumbag who regularly makes dangerous and career threatening challenges. Wouldn't want anyone like him near the club.

Soccer is a physical sport. No player goes out to injure an opponent.

Soccer is a physical sport. No player goes out to injure an opponent.

Making a statement like that, it appears you have never watched or played soccer before in your life.

It started to be obvious when we didn't sign Alonso over £2M in difference of valuation. That £2M cost us at least one league in my opinion. That was when it became obvious and it's been getting more and more obvious ever since.

And he fed would have signed?

Making a statement like that, it appears you have never watched or played soccer before in your life.

So what are you saying players go out to injure eachother

Some do

And he fed would have signed?

:confused:

A lot. "rough them up" "take him outta the game" "make sure he doesn't make the second half" These are all statements I've heard playing Sunday league, and it's obvious it happens in the top leagues too.

Some do

you obviously have never played sport in you life

:confused:

A lot. "rough them up" "take him outta the game" "make sure he doesn't make the second half" These are all statements I've heard playing Sunday league, and it's obvious it happens in the top leagues too.

Must be a rough league you play in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement