Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Am I the only fan that still has faith in Wenger? Though him not resigning Cesc has left a bitter taste.

If he does not get this transfer window right, it should be without question his last as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I still want him to stay as well...he's making the most out of what is, at present, a pretty poor first 11. As miserable a stance as it is to take we could be doing a lot worse. I don't understand the Cesc thing, we are so ridiculously stacked in midfield and it wouldn't have been fair to anticipate another injury crisis. It would have been either him or Sanchez over the summer and I'd pick the latter every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Agree with the cesc thing, we are stacked in midfield and couldn't have anticipated this sort of injury list (well...). But I also agree that if things don't go right this window Wenger may have to look to the door, and this is coming from a pretty big Wenger fan. If we don't get AT LEAST a defender in, any defender, it will be a shambles. Unfortunately we can't wait it out for the world class one this time, just someone with experience and maybe a solid pair of legs. I wish we could find the koscielny clone or afford the hummels we so desperately need, but right now we need bodies who have more than 2 years league experience to flesh out our bench.

Ideal? Nope. Confidence inspiring? Nope. But we need some sort of unheard of pragmatism right now in the form of experienced players ready to jump in.

I'm not really too worried about the podolski departure, although im surprised that people are saying it's completely our system that is dragging him down. Our system doesn't stop him running at defenders, making clever passes or getting stuck in in defence- that's down to the player. Santi has managed on a number of occasions to play this way on the wing and been applauded for it. Although I appreciate his phenomenal finishing, I think over the years his pace has been somewhat lost and that has really affected his game. I wish him all the best at wherever he gets and he could certainly prove us wrong with a new lease of life, but I don't know if he's the player he used to be. I do hope we can use the funds we get intelligently and quickly in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Stacked or not in midfield Cesc is better than them all. we should've bought him. It also wasn't Cesc or Sanchez, we could've easily signed both.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Quazzie wrote: »
    Stacked or not in midfield Cesc is better than them all. we should've bought him. It also wasn't Cesc or Sanchez, we could've easily signed both.

I guess I mean more that the money we could have spent on him would have been better spent strengthening other areas- something we didn't do unfortunately but I believe still that there was at least a modicum of intent to do so, which forced the decision not to bring in a player for a position in which we had a good few looking up. If Ramsey continued the form he had last year into this year I think we'd be seeing a lot of cesc v Ramsey debates- it's a massive surprise and a shame that didn't come through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Decided to watch highlights onthe game before work this morning

Cazorlas miss was a massive turning point

And if it finished 4/5-0 we would have had no complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Podolski's a great finisher but he got relegated with Cologne and then joined us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's all good saying this window is Wenger's last chance but it won't be. He can sit on his arse this Jan and he'll still be backed to the hilt regardless. He has ****ed up so many windows before, why is this one going to be any different?

How long have we been looking for a DM? A proper replacement for van Persie? These aren't a new symptom of Wenger's mismanagement. Remember when he let Gilberto (who should have been captain, but that's another matter), Flamini and Diarra all go in the space of six months so Denilson could start every ****ing game? I don't recall the exact year, but it wasn't recently. He leaves us with gaps a blind man could see every year. It won't change and I don't know why people would expect different results from the same input, we've been through this enough times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Two big BIG mistakes.
    Chez probably at fault for both.
    We were lucky it was only 2 nil.
    No midfield worth a damn.
    Kos not fit, Mert is a big girl's blouse.
    It was an Arsenal fan who confronted Wenger - not nice.
    Our team today was a shambles.
    Keown is right - "this is happening too often".

Koscielny hailed as a God in this forum, so noone ever blames him.

Koscielny at fault for the first
    Debuchy at fault for the second

Why did Szczesny do what he did?
    First goal, I'm presumming he got a shout, as Koscielny could have easily cleared, but obviously Kos was holding the ball up in order for Szcz to come and pick up. He wasn't 'rushing out' , it's standard procedure. But because he's been rash in the past we are all dumping this on Szcz.

Second goal, Debuchy should have cleared but it knocked off his shin. Neither Mertesacker or Debuchy wanted to make their mind up of what they wanted to do, so Szcz took the initiative and just booted the ball. He knew how much of a joke it was.

Stop protecting players and using scapegoats.

Why do we never blame the front men as much as the back btw. Cazorla and Sanchez should be finishing those chances.
    Saying that, I don't think we ever would have won with a midfield of Coquelin and Chambers.. holy jesus.

byrneg28 wrote: »

Why do we never blame the front men as much as the back btw. Cazorla and Sanchez should have finished and if we were more clinical it's a different game.

Saying that, I don't think we ever would have won with a midfield of Coquelin and Chambers.. holy jesus.

The players are all to blame, I accept that.

But the Christmas schedule hurts you if your squad isn't big enough. Every team has shown that.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    The players are all to blame, I accept that.

But the Christmas schedule hurts you if your squad isn't big enough. Every team has shown that.

Sorry I'm more annoyed at everyone using Woj as a scapegoat. He can't help his back 4 is a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's all good saying this window is Wenger's last chance but it won't be. He can sit on his arse this Jan and he'll still be backed to the hilt regardless. He has ****ed up so many windows before, why is this one going to be any different?

How long have we been looking for a DM? A proper replacement for van Persie? These aren't a new symptom of Wenger's mismanagement. Remember when he let Gilberto (who should have been captain, but that's another matter), Flamini and Diarra all go in the space of six months so Denilson could start every ****ing game? I don't recall the exact year, but it wasn't recently. He leaves us with gaps a blind man could see every year. It won't change and I don't know why people would expect different results from the same input, we've been through this enough times already.

I took a look at the league table after 20 games last year and at that time Moyes' United team had a point more than Wenger's Arsenal team have this season. Moyes was under incredible pressure at that time for that position. In my book serious questions needs to be asked of Wenger. Yes he is a much better manager and has a raft of injuries to deal with but he's too comfortable in his position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sorry I'm more annoyed at everyone using Woj as a scapegoat. He can't help his back 4 is a shambles

I wouldn't single him out, but he definitely made a big contribution towards our downfall yesterday! In saying that, I think he's generally been very good for us this season.

L'prof wrote: »
    I wouldn't single him out, but he definitely made a big contribution!

I actually don't place any blame on him for the first goal. Kos was way off the pace and Woj had to come out and cover for him. No one could've predicted that Mane would shoot and score from that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I actually don't place any blame on him for the first goal. Kos was way off the pace and Woj had to come out and cover for him. No one could've predicted that Mane would shoot and score from that position.

Maybe not, I'm just not sure he actually needed to come out. The only thing I will say about Woj though, and I do like him, is that when thinking of who the top goalkeepers in the league are he doesn't enter my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

He shouldn't have backed away. He could've tackled him and concede a free kick if need be as he was outside the box. Poor decision making all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kosc was poor for the first goal but it was very minor on his part and for the ball to end up in the net it still required woj to be a headless chicken and Mert to look like the furthest thing from a professional athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

AdamD wrote: »
    Kosc was poor for the first goal but it was very minor on his part and for the ball to end up in the net it still required woj to be a headless chicken and Mert to look like the furthest thing from a professional athlete.

Agreed if Szc doesnt come storming out, their player is pushed wide and can do nothing. The second is horrible by the gk, Debuchy had it under control but the keepers recklessness gets in the way again.

Szc is severely over rated in here. Average keeper and talks of being above De Gea and even Hart is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Szc is severely over rated in here. Average keeper and talks of being above De Gea and even Hart is ridiculous.

You mention over rated and then mention De Gea. Funny. Look at the goal United conceded yesterday. If Szc was in goals for that he'd be getting a slating. Rating of players is all about perspective.

You mention over rated and then mention De Gea. Funny. Look at the goal United conceded yesterday. If Szc was in goals for that he'd be getting a slating. Rating of players is all about perspective.

Look at all their games this year, its not even close. De Gea is top class, his only weakness is distribution. Sure he might let in the soft goal like every gk, Neuer was made a show of a few weeks ago but Id love him over what we have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm struggling to remember the last good strategic decision AW has made. You know a decision that we all agreed changed a game or changed the approach to a game.

Whats the story on Ospina anyway, would like him to get the shout, if Szcz is subsequently dropped for this.

Was on bench vs West Ham
    but not vs. Southampton

Anyone worried about Chambers being too soft?

Anyone worried about Chambers being too soft?

He's 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'm struggling to remember the last good strategic decision AW has made. You know a decision that we all agreed changed a game or changed the approach to a game.

When Giroud came on in the home game aganist Saints - completely turned the game around - he was sorely missed yesterday

Whats the story on Ospina anyway, would like him to get the shout, if Szcz is subsequently dropped for this.

Was on bench vs West Ham
    but not vs. Southampton

Arsene said he was not on the bench as he would be playing Sunday. Not sure I understand the logic, but there you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

greendom wrote: »
    When Giroud came on in the home game aganist Saints - completely turned the game around - he was sorely missed yesterday

Maybe, but I'd bet it was planned for him to feature anyway.

Maybe, but I'd bet it was planned for him to feature anyway.

good planning then !

greendom wrote: »
    Arsene said he was not on the bench as he would be playing Sunday. Not sure I understand the logic, but there you go.

Hopefully see more of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Am I the only fan that still has faith in Wenger? Though him not resigning Cesc has left a bitter taste.

Nope. I'm still 100% behind him. Not 99%. 100%. When he won us the FA cup last year (which, shamefully, many fans seem to have forgotten), the best thing was to see him with another trophy.

Don't agree with everything he does (the Cesc thing in particular makes me sick), but more than anything I want to see him succeed again. I thought that's what being a supporter means.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nope. I'm still 100% behind him. Not 99%. 100%. When he won us the FA cup last year (which, shamefully, many fans seem to have forgotten), the best thing was to see him with another trophy.

Don't agree with everything he does (the Cesc thing in particular makes me sick), but more than anything I want to see him succeed again. I thought that's what being a supporter means.

We scraped an FA cup win against Hull. Nice to get the monkey off our back regarding winning a cup but hardly inspirational.

We scraped an FA cup win against Hull. Nice to get the monkey off our back regarding winning a cup but hardly inspirational.

Has to be one of the hardest cup runs I've ever seen.

vs. Spurs
    vs. Coventry
    vs. Liverpool
    vs. Everton
    vs. Wigan (previous winners beat Man City also)
    vs. Hull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Surely the FA Cup final and semi final with a change of personnel and tactics??? Or does it only count when Jose does it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He seems to get periods like this every so often. He definitely needs competition for the number one spot. I watched the highlights and we created little. Southampton are a very good team, physical and defensive. We on the other hand are limp in the middle and the back. Not optimistic, as it is hard to see how the defence is going to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Koscielny hailed as a God in this forum, so noone ever blames him.

Why did Szczesny do what he did?
    First goal, I'm presumming he got a shout, as Koscielny could have easily cleared, but obviously Kos was holding the ball up in order for Szcz to come and pick up. He wasn't 'rushing out' , it's standard procedure. But because he's been rash in the past we are all dumping this on Szcz.

Second goal, Debuchy should have cleared but it knocked off his shin. Neither Mertesacker or Debuchy wanted to make their mind up of what they wanted to do, so Szcz took the initiative and just booted the ball. He knew how much of a joke it was.

Why do we never blame the front men as much as the back btw. Cazorla and Sanchez should be finishing those chances.

Not using anyone as a scapegoat at all.
    Both goals were down to Chez, a blind man could see that.
    Kos was unfit and shouldn't have been on the field.
    Mert is a big softy and is easily pushed off the ball even by much smaller players.
    1st goal -- when Chez came off his line he should have finished the job by either fouling the player or putting the ball out of play. The scorer was outside the box at that time. To turn and head back towards goal was the mistake as it allowed the scorer to also turn and score. Mert should have covered the goal-line anyway but Chez was the main culprit.

2nd goal -- yes Debuchy scuffed it but Chez should have picked it up then and not kicked it to an opponent. Again his fault.

These are not his first mistakes as he's prone to that every few games. Goes to ground far too early too.

He is a MAJOR part of the shambles.

Mane should have been kept with his back to goal by Chez. Turning back allowed him turn and shoot. Poor decision by Chez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's looking increasingly very likely Poldi could be off to Inter now! :(

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30652834

Have we bought anyone yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Window open tomorrow tayto

Hope your Ready for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Did woj have the most clean sheets last season and hasn't arsenal have one of the least goajls conceded for the past 2 seasons?

Window open tomorrow tayto

Hope your Ready for it :)

Bated breath :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He seems to get periods like this every so often. He definitely needs competition for the number one spot. I watched the highlights and we created little. Southampton are a very good team, physical and defensive. We on the other hand are limp in the middle and the back. Not optimistic, as it is hard to see how the defence is going to be fixed.

The part I have bolded… I blame that currently on the injuries we have. Big time. That in turn is putting excessive pressure on our back 4. I think there is understandable frustration here at the moment, but the major problem with our team is the absentees. No team could withstand the gaps. NONE.

I think 6 from 9 over Christmas, where we played 2 teams above us (at the time) in the table away from home, is acceptable to be frank...

Did woj have the most clean sheets last season and hasn't arsenal have one of the least goajls conceded for the past 2 seasons?

Yes joint with Cech.. was rested on the last day against Norwich with Fabianski to go in to get some gametime before FA Cup final. Would have been a 17th CS for Szczesny last season only for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well Tayto... We might be surprised. If Mr Wenger has not got the message by now, with all our misfires, and more recently the ugly attacks on him by fans, then he never will. I seriously think it's now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

For once it would be nice to get the transfers that everyone knows we need done early.
    For once in the January transfer window it would be nice to get the transfers that everyone knows we need done.
    For once it would be nice not to penny pinch and spend the money the club has.

But you would need to be delusional to think any of those will happen.

People can talk about injury crises but we have no defensive cover. Shouldn't be in this position as you will always get injuries and suspensions. Everyone knew TvM was going and there was no back-up bought.

It will be interesting to see the crowd numbers at the net few matches.

Wenger was a great manager but has got stale. Whatever happens I hope he goes at the end of the year. Would be great if he went out with a trophy but go anyway.

I blame the board more. The Americans want their dividend and profits. Happy with 4th.Make all us season ticketholders renew before we know whether 4th has been secured the most expensive season tickets in England. Go to the games and the atmosphere is toxic. The board is hated by 99% of the crowd. Wenger is wanted out by a majority of the crowd. A legacy destroyed. But don't be deluded. The board love Wenger and his penny pinching. It is their agenda.

Happy new year and COYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I did question whether Woj was good enough for us a few seasons back, I thought no. He has improved a lot since then, he's still prone to howlers but it looks like he's learning from them, he's also capable of making world class saves though not as consistently as a world class keeper, and I think his catching and general goal keeping is pretty solid. Not a world class keeper but solid enough and certainly not the reason for our displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

In the interest of my health (and that of my kids and missus) I am not engaging in any transfer talk until;
    1. A player is signed or the signs make it look 90%
    2. The window has closed
    People go on about Arsene not learning from each window but either do the fans, we let every rag troll us only to build frustration and annoyance.

We all know what we would like so its what and see.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its been a funny old xmas period. 6 points from 9 is not the worst of returns but the manner of performance yesterday along with the individual mistakes sours the whole thing.
    Firstly on yesterday - Silly mistakes from Ches, the first one especially was a moment of madness but what in the name of Jebus was Mert at on the line, an awful attempt at a hooked clearance. The second goal was a panicked moment, nine times out of ten that ball would have been scrambled clear but when your lucks out then its definately out. I dont get the dislike for Ches, sure he cost us yesterday but some people are so fickle, he was excellent against Liverpool which was hardly mentioned. Every goalie makes mistakes, every single one from Neur to Buffon to Hart/Lloris or De Gea. Theres very few keepers in world football that are exempt from criticism, our defence was a shamble yesterday, the usually reliable Kos almost gifted them a goal, Per's form is worrying, showing no signs of improving and is a massive cause for concern.
    More importantly though was our lack of creativity, apart from santi's first half effort and a chance for Sanchez in the second half we looked very dry on ideas. Fair enough Giroud is out and so is wellbeck but there has to be some alternative attacking style that can bring some reward or at least create some half chances.
    Not sure about the news on Poldi, I do like him but its clear he doesnt really suit Wengers thinking and he's too good to sit on the bench for the reat of his days. I think he would be a success at inter so i think its a good move for him. Is it a good move for us? Well it clears one of the higher earners of the wage bill but its only a good move if he is replaced and the money is not just banked. We mighnt be light in that area but we are light on bodies so a replacement is a must.
    I think we will get another defender of some sort in the window, as previously mentioned it would be disasterous for Wenger if he were not to add to the squad. Surely he cant be that blind.

Finally, i love a good healthy debate and the occasional arguement, it shows your passion as a supporter. I dont agree with everyone and not everyone agrees with me. Im in the Wenger out camp, not so much that i want him sacked but I would just like him to step aside and let someone else have a go. But the level of trolling on this thread is unbearable, you will always have the good posters on both side of the coin, even those who occasionally make kind of radical comments not mentioning any names :p but there are 1 or 2 that make no input to a conversation apart from one line sh1t stirring comments. Stop giving them attention.
    Other than that the next few weeks should be interesting, pressure is on the club to spend, im not expecting miracles or superstars but one or two players would be nice, not projects or youngsters but players who could slot straight in and do a decent job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement