Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Wonga 77...I am on the other side of the Wenger debate and thoroughly enjoyed the content and tone of your post. Nothing wrong with a Wenger out agenda at all...it's the manner at times that gets to me as a Wenger supporter so kudos in that regard.

Was googling away there...my belief in life and extended to football is that commitment, experience, etc deserves respect that's a big part of my Wenger support. It took Man City 3 years to win the league with unlimited funds. We are two years into having money which may I add is not unlimited and we are now going get rid of the manager. City have got out of the group in the CL onlybin last two years. Sometimes we underestimate how hard football is.

when he was the most demanded in Europe because of his belief and desire and now we are ready to chuck him cos we are upset with a lack of success. I don't follow a club for continuous success. It's a journey. It's ups and downs. My Dad handed me Arsenal and I take it. And people are totally right...there is a world after Wenger...but don't forget he has been the most successful and promotional Arsenal manager of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wonga 77...I am on the other side of the Wenger debate and thoroughly enjoyed the content and tone of your post. Nothing wrong with a Wenger out agenda at all...it's the manner at times that gets to me as a Wenger supporter so kudos in that regard.

Was googling away there...my belief in life and extended to football is that commitment, experience, etc deserves respect that's a big part of my Wenger support. It took Man City 3 years to win the league with unlimited funds. We are two years into having money which may I add is not unlimited and we are now going get rid of the manager. City have got out of the group in the CL onlybin last two years. Sometimes we underestimate how hard football is.

I agree the tone is spot on, you can moan about the manner of the tone of others some times but you more than most call anti-wenger posters out.

It perfectly fine for us to differ completely without taking it personally or calling people out on a day that goes well for Arsene.

But what you say above is fair and makes sense, City and Chelsea both took time to compete but you could see them actively pushing the market to get there, Wenger is taken a much different approach, time will tell

edit: just to say criticising or challenge the club does not make you any less a supporter than those that have blind or calculated faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like old Wenger apart from -

1. The team seeming to lack motivation (like yesterday).
    2. Not having the tactical nous to beat the top teams or picking poor teams.
    3. Being tight with money and missing out on good signings because of it.

I really don't care who is managing as long as our teams go out prepared to fight and give their all for the jersey. We don't see that too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Soups123 wrote: »
    I agree the tone is spot on, you can moan about the manner of the tone of others some times but you more than most call anti-wenger posters out.

It perfectly fine for us to differ completely without taking it personally or calling people out on a day that goes well for Arsene.

But what you say above is fair and makes sense, City and Chelsea both took time to compete but you could see them actively pushing the market to get there, Wenger is taken a much different approach, time will tell

I'm actually a Wenger-In but I can see why fans lose patience with Wenger's model. They pay a ridiculous amount of money to be promised success that they've waited for , for nearly 10 years now.. and it doesn't look like it's getting better soon.

While down the road the lads pay half the price and have won everything.

It must be painful. In the long-run Wenger's ideas will be great I believe but in the short-term I can understand the fans angst.. more-so those who are from London.

Being an Irish gunner I can only talk from the outside in and while I do go to quite a few games, I wouldn't be paying as much as some season ticket holders..obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I really don't care who is managing as long as our teams go out prepared to fight and give their all for the jersey.

So you feel yesterday they didn't do that? But other days they do? Or they never do? How do you know when they do or they don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Who needs Podolski. This kid is a character!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

symbolic wrote: »
    So you feel yesterday they didn't do that? But other days they do? Or they never do? How do you know when they do or they don't?

That's what you use your eyes for.

Players shirking challenges.
    Not chasing back.
    Trotting behind an opponent who has the ball.
    Not putting pressure on opponents.
    Not closing down the keeper.
    Not getting off the ground to challenge for high balls.
    Turning their back on shots.
    Allowing crosses to be sent in and not trying to block them.

etc etc. 50 years and more of playing, coaching, managing (at youth level) and now watching football you get to know who's genuine and who's not.
    As we have seen over the last number of years this Arsenal squad has two ways of playing. Yesterday they didn't give their all. It cannot always be put down to injuries.
    As i have always said, I don't mind losing as long as we see effort and battle.

That's what you use your eyes for.

Players shirking challenges.
    Not chasing back.
    Trotting behind an opponent who has the ball.
    Not putting pressure on opponents.
    Not closing down the keeper.
    Not getting off the ground to challenge for high balls.
    Turning their back on shots.
    Allowing crosses to be sent in and not trying to block them.

etc etc. 50 years and more of playing, coaching, managing (at youth level) and now watching football you get to know who's genuine and who's not.
    As we have seen over the last number of years this Arsenal squad has two ways of playing. Yesterday they didn't give their all. It cannot always be put down to injuries.
    As i have always said, I don't mind losing as long as we see effort and battle.

When was the last time you seen this team give their all for the jersey?

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    When was the last time you seen this team give their all for the jersey?

Why?
    Do you have a point to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Look at Kosc's desire here from yesterday .... Bloody Hell !!

Watch Mert in the first few minutes. He was caught at the right back position but watch his effort to cut out the cross that gave them a free header which luckily went just wide of the post. Loads of instances like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shocking from Kos. He was alongside Pelle when the ball ran loose and he could have at least made it difficult for him to get the shot away.

Too much New Year's eve boozing? From looking at the team sheet prior to the game I thought lightweight up front but at least we look solid defensively.

I was right about up front, but the defence was abysmal. Hopefully that's a one off because if not we're in serious trouble.

I think Flamini was missed, more than people care to admit. Ok he's not Matic but he is more effective than he's given credit for and the central midfield pairing yesterday provided absolutely no nous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So it begins. We're in for Moussa Sissoko. https://mobile.twitter.com/samuelJayC/status/550995282608267265

Why?
    Do you have a point to make?

Just curious, I guess a lot of it goes over my head. Like desire and fight you know.

I defo see Fergusons United as a never give up kinda team, like they were gonna get that wining goal in ET.

You'd have to presume they go out to give their all each match though no? But I think I get what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Jaafa wrote: »
    So it begins. We're in for Moussa Sissoko. https://mobile.twitter.com/samuelJayC/status/550995282608267265

More attacking than we need.
    But still a good strong midfielder and if the asking price is true then thats not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Jaafa wrote: »

He'd certainly provide more strength and power than we have in midfield atm. A little too concentrated on attack though perhaps? Unless Wenger wants to make him more defensively minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

greendom wrote: »
    He'd certainly provide more strength and power than we have in midfield atm. A little too concentrated on attack though perhaps? Unless Wenger wants to make him more defensively minded.

Same as what he did with arteta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »

Not what we need. We need someone that is defensive minded, not someone who might be in 6-18 months time.

Also for that money we could've nearly had Fabregas in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Watch Mert in the first few minutes. He was caught at the right back position but watch his effort to cut out the cross that gave them a free header which luckily went just wide of the post. Loads of instances like that.

Exactly. All of those little issues were players don't do their own job add up to the performance that we got yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not what we need. We need someone that is defensive minded, not someone who might be in 6-18 months time.

Also for that money we could've nearly had Fabregas in the summer.

You can't really say no to Sissoko because he isn't defensive minded and then ask for Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

He looks knackered!! Wenger really needs to get the cheque book out from tomorrow onwards and get a reliable defender in. I'd say the achilies injury he picked up earlier in the season has some seriously struggling for a lasting fitness. We need alternatives but because our squad so is thin he's being forced to line up. Mert is no better either, and this is Chambers first season for us. Just not good enough for a supposedly top 4 team.

Some clearance by Debuchy there to be fair though, atoned for the earlier error in gifting Southampton their second goal.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You can't really say no to Sissoko because he isn't defensive minded and then ask for Fabregas.

Two separate points really. If we had've bought Fabregas I would've assumed it would've meant shifting some deadweight like Diaby to make space.

We need a dedicated DMF, not another Arteta ideally either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Quazzie wrote: »
    Two separate points really. If we had've bought Fabregas I would've assumed it would've meant shifting some deadweight like Diaby to make space.

We need a dedicated DMF, not another Arteta ideally either.

We def without doubt need another arteta, just a better one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nope. I'm still 100% behind him. Not 99%. 100%. When he won us the FA cup last year (which, shamefully, many fans seem to have forgotten), the best thing was to see him with another trophy.

Don't agree with everything he does (the Cesc thing in particular makes me sick), but more than anything I want to see him succeed again. I thought that's what being a supporter means.

Me, unwavering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The team is knackered which is probably what some of you are mistaking for a lack of motivation/desire.

I'm unsure of where I stand with Arsene; on the one hand you'd like to see him given a proper crack at assembling a team where he can spend the fruits being yielded from the sparse years, at the same time he's had 3 transfer windows to do it and while Sanchez and Ozil are heavy hitters he's not addressed glaring issues and depth issues in ach window - this time last year we needed a striker. We got a midfielder with a broken back.

This year we do need a holding midfielder (interestingly Arteta's comments on this about how its his job to help whoever that is probably means we are indeed in for someone) and a central defender. In some ways I understand the reluctance to stock up - you look at Johan Djourou who was 4th choice 2 seasons ago and never got close to getting a game whereas if we had him on the books still he'd probably be in double digit starts for the season. So its a delicate balance to be struck. But you'd rather have them than not imo - its not like we can't afford to carry a few extra bodies.

Personally what it comes down to is (a) signing your big money holding midfielder and then (b) hanging onto either Flamini or Arteta to give us the depth. The thing is that I wouldn't be convinced that we'd do something as logical as that.

Last thing; as much as he's maligned in here; Ozil will make a huge difference when he comes back.

What is happening at Arsenal if this is true?

Our most pressing needs are at DM and CB for me. Wenger says we are short in defence too.
    So why are we interested in another attacking midfielder especially with Wenger saying our injured players are all returning (bar Jack) in a week or two?
    Isn't the reason he didn't sign Cesc because he had enough attacking midfielders?

Can't see three new players coming in much as i'd like to. Confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

What is happening at Arsenal if this is true?

Our most pressing needs are at DM and CB for me. Wenger says we are short in defence too.
    So why are we interested in another attacking midfielder especially with Wenger saying our injured players are all returning (bar Jack) in a week or two?
    Isn't the reason he didn't sign Cesc because he had enough attacking midfielders?

Can't see three new players coming in much as i'd like to. Confused.

But are we interested or is it newspaper/internet nonsense?

• Advertisement

I still think we will get two players to fill the poistions we need

But if it's the calibre of player we all want is another thing

Soups...can't quote yer post as I am in middle of nowhere and phone doesn't give me enough space....but we haven't been shy with money since we had it last season. That's my argument. Only now is Wenger on a spending spree that can make him challenge. But no we panic and say out out out. Fact is our wage ability is still less than the other three. My example cited that even with money it takes time. For 2013/2014 we were viable.....we won the FA Cup. It's my belief that the man that sacrificed most to keep us where we are...and win a trophy deserves his shot. And that's why i support him. I know we live in an impulsive, reactionary society but as I referred to in one of my earlier posts.....are you an Arsenal fan?? Yes. It has never ever been better than under Wenger. Yip...maybe summer is time for him to go...but that's a summer debate.

Soups...can't quote yer post as I am in middle of nowhere and phone doesn't give me enough space....but we haven't been shy with money since we had it last season. That's my argument. Only now is Wenger on a spending spree that can make him challenge. But no we panic and say out out out. Fact is our wage ability is still less than the other three. My example cited that even with money it takes time. For 2013/2014 we were viable.....we won the FA Cup. It's my belief that the man that sacrificed most to keep us where we are...and win a trophy deserves his shot. And that's why i support him. I know we live in an impulsive, reactionary society but as I referred to in one of my earlier posts.....are you an Arsenal fan?? Yes. It has never ever been better than under Wenger. Yip...maybe summer is time for him to go...but that's a summer debate.

I think we have been a bit shy with the money we have, our increase in spend has been in line with increased TV money etc. but tbf he has got braver with his individual spending limits. We have much more financial power than some people in here let on.

Not sure if you are asking me am I a fan there, if you are thats silly. Having a different opinion to 'Wenger In' makes me no less a fan than anyone else.

I agree he is not going anywhere now and agree he will see the season out minimally but I am concerned with just how deep he failed to address our problems in the last market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This is what keeps me going too tbh.

The last six signings have been ...

Ozil, Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina, Welbeck.

Welbeck aside, I think they're top drawer signings and Welbeck himself was an emergency.

Now you might think that should have been 8-10 signings but for me we're adding real quality these days.

Of course none of this matters unless everyone stops getting injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

among other things,
    Id like to see Wenger buy someone who brings a new dimension to the team, someone who adds another arrow to the quiver, string to the bow.

Wenger cant adapt tactics if he doesnt have the personel available, we have too many players who are the same type of player.

We probably had that in the past where we had some players who had limited ability but you were guaranteed a certain style and execution from them.
    eg
    going up to Stoke we need a hatchet man..
    plaing against alot of modern teams they have very big physical but athletic players, we need someone like that.
    i doubt Southampton were daunted physically by the smallest front 5 ever played in the PL, Sanchez, Carzola, Ox, Rosicky, Coq

Either way id be happy just that we buy someone, its time to shift on some of the fringe players,
    Akpom and Cammbell have had their chance to prove them selves, they must have had at least 80 mins between the two, lets move them on and buy in the next French U21 CF.
    Same with Podolski he was given unlimited numerous extended runs in the team ot prove himself, didnt happen, move him on.... :rolleyes:

I dont see too many good to very good players knocking around in the other teams, still think we should have pinched Wanyama, or taken Song back.
    Maybe Charlie Austin... who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Hi lads just trying to get tickets here for the Aston Villa game but it wont seem to let me purchase 2 (I am a red member). It keeps on saying the following....

"Unfortunately, you are attempting to purchase more tickets for a match than you are allowed to. Please double check, and remove items from your basket to proceed."

Surely its not only restricted to 1 ticket per member??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Hi lads just trying to get tickets here for the Aston Villa game but it wont seem to let me purchase 2 (I am a red member). It keeps on saying the following....

"Unfortunately, you are attempting to purchase more tickets for a match than you are allowed to. Please double check, and remove items from your basket to proceed."

Surely its not only restricted to 1 ticket per member??

I'm afraid it is, you'd need 2 membership cards to buy 2 tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I'm afraid it is, you'd need 2 membership cards to buy 2 tickets.

No way. Bit of a joke that is. I thought you could at least get 2 :(:(

Anybody know where I could get 2 tickets for this match without having to buy another membership, have my flights booked and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Raf32 wrote: »
    Anyone worried about Chambers being too soft?

He is too casual, he thinks he is still the best kid with all the tricks who can dick around with everyone else in the park, jumpers for goalposts.
    he doesnt like doing the boring, simple pass, he doesnt understand that that pass is what generates the speed of the attack, he delays on the ball too long looking for a fancy outlet,before he takes the simple first pass, by which time its been closed down.

As johnny Giles would say , would he kill his granny for the ball... probably not.

Id almost say play him more forward where his desire to get up front wont impact us, and where his mistakes wont be in the last line of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is Sissoko more of a Vieira type though ? As in gets about the midfield tackles and scores a combative type ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Gringo180 wrote: »
    No way. Bit of a joke that is. I thought you could at least get 2 :(:(

Anybody know where I could get 2 tickets for this match without having to buy another membership, have my flights booked and all.

PM sent

• Advertisement

He is too casual, he thinks he is still the best kid with all the tricks who can dick around with everyone else in the park, jumpers for goalposts.
    he doesnt like doing the boring, simple pass, he doesnt understand that that pass is what generates the speed of the attack, he delays on the ball too long looking for a fancy outlet,before he takes the simple first pass, by which time its been closed down.

As johnny Giles would say , would he kill his granny for the ball... probably not.

Id almost say play him more forward where his desire to get up front wont impact us, and where his mistakes wont be in the last line of defence.

I was more impressed with him when he arrived first.
    He seems to have regressed somewhat but he is still very young.
    I wonder if it's our training regime?

I was more impressed with him when he arrived first.
    He seems to have regressed somewhat but he is still very young.
    I wonder if it's our training regime?

I think he is just overplayed, he shouldn't have played half as many games as he did

But seen as we have no players we have no choice

I think he is just overplayed, he shouldn't have played half as many games as he did

But seen as we have no players we have no choice

Could be right.
    He's certainly not the same exuberant and confident player he was when he arrived.
    A break might do wonders for him. He's only nineteen.

Cavani though. Imagine. Him, Ozil *and* Alexis together ... hands on hips, watching Palace nick a third because we bought no defenders again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He's 19, it's his first proper season playing in the premiership, and he's only been at Arsenal for four months. Are you serious?...

Cavani though. Imagine. Him, Ozil *and* Alexis together ... hands on hips, watching Palace nick a third because we bought no defenders again

LOL.

That was a real roller coaster of a sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I looked up Sissoko and he played as a defensive midfielder at Toulouse and as a box to box midfielder so I'd be fairly happy if we signed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Podolski gone to Inter, their official twitter page confirmed it

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Permanent or loan? Any details on fee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Ah balls. Mixed emotions on this. Really like him both as a finisher and for the mad craic with him. I'd say Mesut and Per aren't happy with it.

Any fee mentioned?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement