Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

his had that before and still hasnt changed much tbh

What?

He had a spell on the Bench at the end of the 2012/13 season where Fabianski came in and then broke his finger near the end . Szcz got his place back and went on to the 2013/14 season winning Golden Glove

Give me a break

Knee-Jerk fan of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is Walcott's contract up soon?

year & a half left i think.
    AdamD wrote: »
    Ridiculous to see people believing twitter rumours about Szc, wasn't Bould supposed to have been sacked 2 months ago?

well considering it was said on danish tv by an ex arsenal player it might have something it in.

on Bould, lineker said last night he heard that bould doesn't get to do a lot with the defence/team
    - that rumours' been going for ages though

batistuta9 wrote: »
    year & a half left i think.

well considering it was said on danish tv by an ex arsenal player it might have something it in.

on Bould, lineker said last night he heard that bould doesn't get to do a lot with the defence/team
    - that rumours' been going for ages though

Bould is a yes man. Plain and simple.

Remind you of Dave Dodds the Coach in Mike Bassett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Haven't been around much, didn't see the reaction on here from yesterday's win I'd just like to say THAT is how you take a corner...Tomas Rosicky. Myself and others have been crying for him to play all year and I was delighted to see him out there yesterday, still every bit as good as he was in recent years.

When Sanchez takes those silly corners and free's I really get riled up, but obviously again he had a great performance as did most players yesterday, I'll be waiting for something similar against tougher opposition tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Haven't seen much of Reid, but he was poor against us... Is he Arsenal standard? (No jokes about how poor our CH's have been this year please!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Haven't been around much, didn't see the reaction on here from yesterday's win I'd just like to say THAT is how you take a corner...Tomas Rosicky. Myself and others have been crying for him to play all year and I was delighted to see him out there yesterday, still every bit as good as he was in recent years.

When Sanchez takes those silly corners and free's I really get riled up, but obviously again he had a great performance as did most players yesterday, I'll be waiting for something similar against tougher opposition tho.

But it was Sanchez who took the corner for the Mert goal :pac:

jamescd wrote: »
    But it was Sanchez who took the corner for the Mert goal :pac:

Hahaha so it was, how embarrasing, could have sworn it was Rosicky. Why doesn't he do that everytime tho instead of stupid ****ing short ones or near post ones?

Hahaha so it was, how embarrasing, could have sworn it was Rosicky. Why doesn't he do that everytime tho instead of stupid ****ing short ones or near post ones?

I don't think it's him, It's tactics. The second corner he took had Monreal coming to the near post.

I think Arsenal neglected set-pieces a lot and constantly had Mertesacker doing a near post flick on. But then people started to realise it.

For the first two corners, they obviously went to the training ground on them.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I don't think it's him, It's tactics. The second corner he took had Monreal coming to the near post.

I think Arsenal neglected set-pieces a lot and constantly had Mertesacker doing a near post flick on. But then people started to realise it.

For the first two corners, they obviously went to the training ground on them.

The stat given the other day was ridiculous 160 corners none clearing the 1st man... then free kicks even look at the one late on yesterday, short and given away in seconds, I don't know if its the personal or that's what there being made to do but either way it has to stop.

• Advertisement

The stat given the other day was ridiculous 160 corners none clearing the 1st man... then free kicks even look at the one late on yesterday, short and given away in seconds, I don't know if its the personal or that's what there being made to do but either way it has to stop.

And that's what I mean and agree with. Arsenal got away with the first man corner for a long time and they've been readily found out.

One positive from the game vs.Hull is they have clearly looked at this and used as a game to experiment with Corners - as well as going when they were on the training ground. Was heavily impressed with the first 2 corners.

Once they had did them I'm guessing the instruction was to do short corners for the remainder to see how they fair. (unsuccessful evidently)

That's my interpretation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sanchez has played more minutes than he did all season with Barcelona already.
    Further to this, he has only missed two games in the whole campaign, one being a premier league game in September and the other being the last group match against Gala. And he still keeps on going. Amazing.

Not sure if you have an Arsenal Membership or whatever but if you go to

player.arsenal.com

Hull City (h) - Highlights - go to 04:31 .. that Corner that Monreal heads is clearly from the training ground

Not sure if you have an Arsenal Membership or whatever but if you go to

player.arsenal.com

Hull City (h) - Highlights - go to 04:31 .. that Corner that Monreal heads is clearly from the training ground

I do indeed, the build up from Rosicky for that tho :p

From the training ground? Maybe, would prefer to have someone else on it rather than Monreal tho.

I do indeed, the build up from Rosicky for that tho :p

From the training ground? Maybe, would prefer to have someone else on it rather than Monreal tho.

That's the surprise though!

That's the surprise though!

Yes I get it but it's not a very effective one. Like having Gibbs taking a free kick, nobody would expect it, but i doubt it's going to cause many problems.

His header was poor,wasn't even on target took a bounce of a defender and went straight at the keeper, who clearly wasn't expecting it but Monreal defo got some luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sanchez has played more minutes than he did all season with Barcelona already.
    Further to this, he has only missed two games in the whole campaign, one being a premier league game in September and the other being the last group match against Gala. And he still keeps on going. Amazing.

I would be very wary of this. I thinks its time he is giving a bit of a rest. The last thing we need right now is our best player to pick up an injury.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I would be very wary of this. I thinks its time he is giving a bit of a rest. The last thing we need right now is our best player to pick up an injury.

We only think like this because we are Arsenal fans. In my opinion anyway

I think fans of other clubs wouldn't think like this at all. Just like Giroud, Santi Cazorla, Mertesacker .. Sanchez is a mould like them who isn't injury prone and has a great recovery time.

Just so happens we've got tight hamstring Ramsey and biscuit ankles Wilshere consistently getting injured.. (and the rest of course..)

I think fans of other clubs wouldn't think like this at all. Just like Giroud, Santi Cazorla, Mertesacker .. Sanchez is a mould like them who isn't injury prone and has a great recovery time.

Just so happens we've got tight hamstring Ramsey and biscuit ankles Wilshere consistently getting injured.. (and the rest of course..)

Agree to a point. But its alarming that he has already played more minutes this season than he did in the whole 2013/14 season for Barca. Were just over the half way mark too. He is a great athlete but there is only so much the body can take at the highest level in any physical sport.

It's definitely a symptom of being an Arsenal fan, but you can't blame us, even of those you mentioned Giroud was out for a long time after coming of the bench and kicking the ball... Mert is continuously tired and out of form because he's playing so much.

I fear for any Arsenal player who plays 2 games in a fcking row

• Advertisement

It's definitely a symptom of being an Arsenal fan, but you can't blame us, even of those you mentioned Giroud was out for a long time after coming of the bench and kicking the ball... Mert is continuously tired and out of form because he's playing so much.

I fear for any Arsenal player who plays 2 games in a fcking row

That Giroud injury was a freak of nature but you can tell by his build and his recovery he's different sauce to other Arsenal players. He came back 1 MONTH early from a fractured tibia/fibia (cant remember but that is insane)

His brother is also a dietician and gives him a program specifically for muscle recovery (maybe he should give Arsene a lend)

I do agree I fear when a player plays 2 in a row and I do fear for Sanchez overplaying but I have to go with my heart on this one and just think if I supported a team with less of an injury record I'd be more pis**d off if he didn't play. So it's a hard one to judge

Maybe it's just me but from posting in my last post I realised there's a bit of a trend in players who've played in Arsenal's youth system

Oxlade
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Diaby
    (for example)

Get injured more frequently then players who've played continentally for a few years and have came to Arsenal

Giroud
    S.Cazorla
    Mertesacker
    Sanchez??? (fingers crossed)
    Podolski (i know he's gone now)

I don't know just a quick observation! Is it the weight training programmes they go through as they develop aren't as intense or vital in other countries.. or are they overworked from such a young age, that they just deteriorate muscle/ligaments etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Maybe it's just me but from posting in my last post I realised there's a bit of a trend in players who've played in Arsenal's youth system

Oxlade
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Diaby
    (for example)

Wilshere only really played in the youth system, the rest more or less featured in the first team after signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oxlade
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Diaby
    (for example)

Get injured more frequently then players who've played continentally for a few years and have came to Arsenal

Giroud
    S.Cazorla
    Mertesacker
    Sanchez??? (fingers crossed)
    Podolski (i know he's gone now)

I don't know just a quick observation! Is it the weight training programmes they go through as they develop aren't as intense or vital in other countries.. or are they overworked from such a young age, that they just deteriorate muscle/ligaments etc.?

You forgot to mention -
    Ozil,
    Vermaillen,
    Fabianski

all of whom are foreign and were out for ages with injuries. FFS Giroud got hit with a ball on the leg and was out for weeks. Nothing to do with playing on the continent at all. All our players have been injury prone and those who haven't yet - watch this space.

Wilshere only really played in the youth system, the rest more or less featured in the first team after signing.

Sorry I meant more so from a young age!

You forgot to mention -
    Ozil,
    Vermaillen,
    Fabianski

all of whom are foreign and were out for ages with injuries. FFS Giroud got hit with a ball on the leg and was out for weeks. Nothing to do with playing on the continent at all. All our players have been injury prone and those who haven't yet - watch this space.

Read above for Giroud but I agree with the rest.. it was just a quick observation

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Sorry man i get ye, as tayto said above, the problem is something deeper, is it the sort of players we're buying, is it coincidence, is it our training?

Doesn't make sense.

Sorry man i get ye, as tayto said above, the problem is something deeper, is it the sort of players we're buying, is it coincidence, is it our training?

Doesn't make sense.

It is extremely bizarre.. but I do remember there was a massive argument on the forum about not resting Sanchez in a premier league game back and forth for ages.

Only at Arsenal is it logical to think that , imagine a Chelsea fan going ''we need to rest Hazard and Costa.. they've played quite a bit'' They'd think you were mental

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Watching the Burnley game during the Xmas - the game they drew 3-3 with Newcastle, they played well and hustled and worked hard the whole match.

That was the sixth game in a row that they had the same starting 11!!

Resting players when they are in form is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Sanchez is passing all his tests so drive on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Podolski confirmed by Arsenal to have joined Inter on loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Watching the Burnley game during the Xmas - the game they drew 3-3 with Newcastle, they played well and hustled and worked hard the whole match.

That was the sixth game in a row that they had the same starting 11!!

Resting players when they are in form is ridiculous.

Burnley don't have 2 matches a week and internationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

What about ospina, comes here plays one game and is injured for 3 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

yipeeeee wrote: »

He was injured before he signed.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Dont think he was, didnt he play in the Carling cup and then few weeks later he was ruled out for 2 months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

He played a game then got injured for 3 months, he could have been injured when
    he arrived I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

efb wrote: »
    Burnley don't have 2 matches a week and internationals

Can't imagine too many of them played in the World Cup in the Summer either

Heavily linked with Schneiderlin again. I think hes an upgrade on Arteta and Flamini and the good thing is that he wouldn't be cup tied in the Champs Lge. Badly need another centre half too, I have lost all faith in Mertesacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

yipeeeee wrote: »

What about Kim Kallstrom? Broke his back in his first training session!!

(Or something like that! :-D )

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What about Kim Kallatrom? Broke his back in his first training session!!

(Or something like that! :-D )

Ospina contracted Kallstrom syndrome (Stockholm syndrome ;):P) which is in turn a close relation of Diabyitis. There was also Johan Djourou disease one time but he was mysteriously cured having joined Hamburg. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Heavily linked with Schneiderlin again. I think hes an upgrade on Arteta and Flamini and the good thing is that he wouldn't be cup tied in the Champs Lge. Badly need another centre half too, I have lost all faith in Mertesacker.

I think rotation of Merts would be the cure. He is probably fatigued, and Wenger puts him in for the height, as much as defence, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Big Sam all but confirmed that Winston Reid will leave.

Didn't say if it'll be in January or on a free in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big Sam all but confirmed that Winston Reid will leave.

Didn't say if it'll be in January or on a free in the Summer.

Not convinced by that lad at all.
    Might be another one season wonder. He didn't impress me at all.
    We need proven players. Feck this "great potential" sh1t.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I think rotation of Merts would be the cure. He is probably fatigued, and Wenger puts him in for the height, as much as defence, IMO.

Roatation, a rest, a reliable consistent partner (for when Kos is suspended) and some cover from midfield.

Poor fella is a scapegoat for pretty much all of our faults.

Not convinced by that lad at all.
    Might be another one season wonder. He didn't impress me at all.
    We need proven players. Feck this "great potential" sh1t.

Agree with this. We should be going out and getting players that are among the best in there position. The stadium is more or less paid off now so why the need to keep buying average players so we don't have to break the bank? I wouldn't mind buying wingers and squad players with potential and on the cheap but its the spine of the team that needs addressing with genuine proven world class players. We have far too many players that are all potential, Chamberlain, Gibbs, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Chambers, Welbeck, Chesney, Bellerin etc.

Roatation, a rest, a reliable consistent partner (for when Kos is suspended) and some cover from midfield.

Poor fella is a scapegoat for pretty much all of our faults.

He is just too slow and lethargic. Even mentally he doesn't look to be all there this season, that world cup knocked the sh1te out of him. But it doesn't mean we have to suffer as a team because he cant motivate himself. Not making a scape goat of him but he has being poor all season and looked disinterested at times, as the club captain I really expect more out of him.

Agree with this. We should be going out and getting players that are among the best in there position. The stadium is more or less paid off now so why the need to keep buying average players so we don't have to break the bank? I wouldn't mind buying wingers and squad players with potential and on the cheap but its the spine of the team that needs addressing with genuine proven world class players. We have far too many players that are all potential, Chamberlain, Gibbs, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Chambers, Welbeck, Chesney, Bellerin etc.

Ramsey & Wilshere are much more than potential at this stage. Brilliant players. Walcott too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

With the pod gone who do lads reckon is the best finisher at the club now? I'd say Sanchez closely followed by giroud. Maybe cazorla over giroud on his day.

He is just too slow and lethargic. Even mentally he doesn't look to be all there this season, that world cup knocked the sh1te out of him. But it doesn't mean we have to suffer as a team because he cant motivate himself. Not making a scape goat of him but he has being poor all season and looked disinterested at times, as the club captain I really expect more out of him.

I agree he's knackered. I'd be happy to see him get a rest. I'm just saying he needs some support. Any defender in the world would look clumsy if they were left as exposed as he is at times.

Ramsey & Wilshere are much more than potential at this stage. Brilliant players. Walcott too.

There not among the best players in there position in the world, well maybe Ramsey is when at his very best, but the likes of Wilshere and Ox are far too inconsistent for me and always injured. Walcott if he can get back to his best is very dangerous, but not among the best in the world in his position. Look at Sanchez compared to everybody in the team bar Ozil. He is operating on a different planet to them. Look at Utd, City, Chelsea. They go out and buy whats needed, the very best players available. I am not buying that we cant compete with them financially, we pay the highest ticket prices by far in the league and have 60 thousand at every home game.

There has been players that have signed for lesser clubs than us in the Prem Lge that I could name all day long that we should have tried to signed. Ill name a few, Christian Eriksen is one and Toby Alderweild is another, Victor Wanyamma also would of filled that DMF gap for us. But the thing with the boss is that he is putting too much faith in average players and in his home grown players and it just isnt working.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement