Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

efb wrote: »
    Burnley don't have 2 matches a week and internationals

Pretty sure no internationals, CL etc in that period.

Point is that if players are in form let them play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I totally hear the frustration. Drives me mad at times - the blind spot about centre halves in particular. But I believe Rambo and Jack have the quality to play at the very top level.

But we need to remember we have started spending (Ozil & Sanchez would get into any team in the top four).

I just hope it continues. Starting with some proper defenders. And an upgrade on Giroud. I love the guy, but he's not in the top bracket, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    There not among the best players in there position in the world, well maybe Ramsey is when at his very best, but the likes of Wilshere and Ox are far too inconsistent for me and always injured. Walcott if he can get back to his best is very dangerous, but not among the best in the world in his position. Look at Sanchez compared to everybody in the team bar Ozil. He is operating on a different planet to them. Look at Utd, City, Chelsea. They go out and buy whats needed, the very best players available. I am not buying that we cant compete with them financially, we pay the highest ticket prices by far in the league and have 60 thousand at every home game.

There has been players that have signed for lesser clubs than us in the Prem Lge that I could name all day long that we should have tried to signed. Ill name a few, Christian Eriksen is one and Toby Alderweild is another, Victor Wanyamma also would of filled that DMF gap for us. But the thing with the boss is that he is putting too much faith in average players and in his home grown players and it just isnt working.

I think we're losing sight of the argument.

You can't speak about adding the best players in the world and then list Erikson, Alderweild and Wanyama.

For me, Reid is a decent 3rd/4th choice option which is what we need now.

Not cup tied. Not yet in his prime. Young and hungry enough to believe he could challenge Kos for his place eventually.

Importantly, he will come in and be competent from the first day.

We can't afford a Demechilis or Mangala who will lose us a few points while getting up to speed with the standard premiership opposition.

Also he can join right now. And that's the massive thing. We're in a position where we need a CB now.

I'd be surprised if he was ever more than a squad option but that's what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I totally hear the frustration. Drives me mad at times - the blind spot about centre halves in particular. But I believe Rambo and Jack have the quality to play at the very top level.

But we need to remember we have started spending (Ozil & Sanchez would get into any team in the top four).

I just hope it continues. Starting with some proper defenders. And an upgrade on Giroud. I love the guy, but he's not in the top bracket, I'm afraid.

Thing with buying Ozil and Sanchez is that its like having 2 holes in a boat and only plugging 1 of them. He addressed the attacking options but neglected, perhaps the most important part, the defensive side.

gosplan wrote: »

You can't speak about adding the best players in the world and then list Erikson, Alderweild and Wanyama.

I am not saying every position needs world class players. I am talking about having them in the most important positions, ie goalkeeper, cb, dmf and striker. All the players I listed are better players than what we have starting for us and were playing at the highest level before signing for smaller clubs in the Prem Lge and wouldnt have broke the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

For me, Reid is a decent 3rd/4th choice option which is what we need now.

Not cup tied. Not yet in his prime. Young and hungry enough to believe he could challenge Kos for his place eventually.

Importantly, he will come in and be competent from the first day.

We can't afford a Demechilis or Mangala who will lose us a few points while getting up to speed with the standard premiership opposition.

Also he can join right now. And that's the massive thing. We're in a position where we need a CB now.

I'd be surprised if he was ever more than a squad option but that's what we need.

Simply NO.
    We need better than Mert right now and I don't think Reed is it.
    Get a proper CB and DM.
    Make Mert the squad option / member.

There not among the best players in there position in the world, well maybe Ramsey is when at his very best, but the likes of Wilshere and Ox are far too inconsistent for me and always injured. Walcott if he can get back to his best is very dangerous, but not among the best in the world in his position. Look at Sanchez compared to everybody in the team bar Ozil. He is operating on a different planet to them. Look at Utd, City, Chelsea. They go out and buy whats needed, the very best players available. I am not buying that we cant compete with them financially, we pay the highest ticket prices by far in the league and have 60 thousand at every home game.

There has been players that have signed for lesser clubs than us in the Prem Lge that I could name all day long that we should have tried to signed. Ill name a few, Christian Eriksen is one and Toby Alderweild is another, Victor Wanyamma also would of filled that DMF gap for us. But the thing with the boss is that he is putting too much faith in average players and in his home grown players and it just isnt working.

The average players are carrying too much responsibility IMO.

Arteta
    Rambo
    Walcott - Ozil - Sanchez
    Giroud

4 out of six you'd like in any team.

Chelsea

Matic
    Oscar
    Hazard - Fab - Willian
    Costa

4 out of six you'd like in any team.

Would love to see total apps for each group of players so far this year.

Anyone got a quick fantasy football link where they can check it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Simply NO.
    We need better than Mert right now and I don't think Reed is it.
    Get a proper CB and DM.
    Make Mert the squad option / member.

We've already made contact with Perrin from St Etienne.
    He was fantastic last year.

F.A. Cup draw live on BBC1 now.

Away to Brighton.

• Advertisement

F.A. Cup draw live on BBC1 now.

Away to Brighton.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We've already made contact with Perrin from St Etienne.
    He was fantastic last year.

Never heard of him. Hope he's good, big, strong, fast and able to shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Brighton away- wound make for a good weekend away😜

Brighton away- wound make for a good weekend away😜

Lovely place too.

Lovely place too.

Funny enough I have been, very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Last time we played them we barely won 3-2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8-lC_xtoQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I am not saying every position needs world class players. I am talking about having them in the most important positions, ie goalkeeper, cb, dmf and striker. All the players I listed are better players than what we have starting for us and were playing at the highest level before signing for smaller clubs in the Prem Lge and wouldnt have broke the bank.
    The highest level? You're having a laugh. Wanyama was playing at below championship level with the odd European game in Scotland, none of those could be described as being anywhere near at the highest level.

The highest level? You're having a laugh. Wanyama was playing at below championship level with the odd European game in Scotland, none of those could be described as being anywhere near at the highest level.

He was playing Champions Lge football if I do believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He was playing Champions Lge football if I do believe.

A few times a year, mostly losing, and then going back to playing teams who'd probably get relegated in the championship at the weekend.

"The highest level" in this context is a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement

A few times a year, mostly losing, and then going back to playing teams who'd probably get relegated in the championship at the weekend.

"The highest level" in this context is a load of bollocks.

Is he better than Flamini and Arteta as a DMF? When Wanyama was at Celtic they made the knockout stages, beating Barcelona along the way. He was there best player that season.

Is he better than Flamini and Arteta as a DMF? When Wanyama was at Celtic they made the knockout stages, beating Barcelona along the way. He was there best player that season.

No, I don't think he is. Certainly he's done nothing much to prove it. I'd much prefer Arteta for sure.

But that isn't the point. The point was that he was absolutely not playing regularly at the highest level, nor were your other examples, and so the basis for your complaint is utter nonsense.

Arteta and Wanyama are two totally different types of DM's.

I'd prefer Wanyama myself.

Arteta and Wanyama are two totally different types of DM's.

I'd prefer Wanyama myself.

He was very good against us. Big and strong but i've only seen him play a few times.

No, I don't think he is. Certainly he's done nothing much to prove it. I'd much prefer Arteta for sure.

But that isn't the point. The point was that he was absolutely not playing regularly at the highest level, nor were your other examples, and so the basis for your complaint is utter nonsense.
    Lets no be pedantic about it. I obviously meant playing Champions Lge football.

He was very good against us. Big and strong but i've only seen him play a few times.

Big and strong. Two things we badly lack in midfield. He was awesome in Celtics 2012/13 season, surprised he ended up only going to Southampton if im being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Wanyama is a fine player just cos he came from the SPL doesnt mean squat.
    He was a big miss, would have been worth a punt.

Steven Davis , midfielder for southampton also came from the SPL, played for Rangers 2011/2012, same season Wanyama made his breakthru.

Wanyama and Davies were both instrumental in the saints performances against Arsenal.

So EuropeanSon, what your saying is that Arsenal were played off the park not once but twice by a couple of 'below championship level' midfield players. :rolleyes:

Arsenes is a bit of a snob, wouldfeel he has belittled himself picking up a player from the SPL. He probably doesnt even watch it.

oh and lets not forget Fraserfoster the Saints GK, who joined saints after a 3 year speel at Celtic.
    so there you go 3 SPLs players ... took Ligue 1 to town ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Steven Davis , midfielder for southampton also came from the SPL, played for Rangers 2011/2012, same season Wanyama made his breakthru.

Wanyama and Davies were both instrumental in the saints performances against Arsenal.

So EuropeanSon, what your saying is that Arsenal were played off the park not once but twice by a couple of 'below championship level' midfield players. :rolleyes:

Arsenes is a bit of a snob, wouldfeel he has belittled himself picking up a player from the SPL. He probably doesnt even watch it.

oh and lets not forget Fraserfoster the Saints GK, who joined saints after a 3 year speel at Celtic.

Giovanni Van Bronckhurst springs to mind....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Mirror reporting Ches was fined 20 grand for smoking in the showers after the Southampton game.

Am I mental or has this complaint just seemlessly gone from...

'We don't look to sign world class players enough'

to

'We missed the boat on Wanyama'

So if I get this right, Wenger persued Carvalho and Khedira but missed the boat on Wanyama and left us criminally short.

But he shouldn't go after Reid because we need world class talent.

Is it different people arguing these points or something?

• Advertisement

Am I mental or has this complaint just seemlessly gone from...

'We don't look to sign world class players enough'

to

'We missed the boat on Wanyama'

So if I get this right, Wenger persued Carvalho and Khedira but missed the boat on Wanyama and left us criminally short.

But he shouldn't go after Reid because we need world class talent.

Is it different people arguing these points or something?

It was myself who mentioned Wanyama. He was available the same summer we decided to go for the cheap option and sign Flamini back for free. I think Wanyama at 10 million would of being the better signing in the long term for us and could of really turned into a Gilberto Silva type player for us. Instead we went for Flamini who was always a fringe player for us in his first stint at the club and was never an improvement on what we had. Like a lot of Wengers signings the last 8-9 years bar Ozil, Sanchez and Debuchy.

Admit it, you don't actually support us, do you?

Seriously, some of this stuff is up there with the most anti-Arsenal pudits and media.

'Arsenal were played off the park...
    What you're saying is...
    Arsne is...
    Arsne would feel that...'

Stop ranting untruths.

It was myself who mentioned Wanyama. He was available the same summer we decided to go for the cheap option and sign Flamini back for free. I think Wanyama at 10 million would of being the better signing in the long term for us and could of really turned into a Gilberto Silva type player for us. Instead we went for Flamini who was always a fringe player for us in his first stint at the club and was never an improvement on what we had. Like a lot of Wengers signings the last 8-9 years bar Ozil, Sanchez and Debuchy.

I don't disagree.

You have to consider however that signings in the 18 months are different from the previous 7/8 years.

Also that Wenger didn't want to replace Arteta at that stage.

Honestly i'd rather spend 16-19M on a proven Wanyama rather than the 25M for Carvalho.

Also that Wenger didn't want to replace Arteta at that stage.

I think thats a fault with the manager. He thinks players can just naturally slot into a position alien to them and do the job. He has done the same to Ozil out wide, he has even played Wilshere out wide and full backs in centre half instead of addressing the problem. Arteta is a fine player, but he is no defensive midfielder. Wenger has too much loyalty in his players and will try and accommodate them in the starting XI even if its to the teams detriment.

I think thats a fault with the manager. He thinks players can just naturally slot into a position alien to them and do the job. He has done the same to Ozil out wide, he has even played Wilshere out wide and full backs in centre half instead of addressing the problem. Arteta is a fine player, but he is no defensive midfielder. Wenger has too much loyalty in his players and will try and accommodate them in the starting XI even if its to the teams detriment.

I think he's played players out of position out of necessity. Ozil and Wilshere were both examples of the Ramsey treatment. Play guys who are out of form out on the left to take them out of the firing line a little bit and help them get to grips with the game again. The full backs playing CB has only happened this season because of our injuries. As for Arteta, I may be wrong but did he play a deeper midfield role in his early days for Rangers? I think he's actually not a bad player there. Obviously won't be there for the next five seasons but for now he's a decent option there.

I think he's played players out of position out of necessity. Ozil and Wilshere were both examples of the Ramsey treatment. Play guys who are out of form out on the left to take them out of the firing line a little bit and help them get to grips with the game again. The full backs playing CB has only happened this season because of our injuries. As for Arteta, I may be wrong but did he play a deeper midfield role in his early days for Rangers? I think he's actually not a bad player there. Obviously won't be there for the next five seasons but for now he's a decent option there.

Sagna played plenty of times at centre back last season and the season before iirc. Strangely enough we lose Sagna and sell Vermaelan (great business by us) and loan out Jenkinson (??) and only bring in Debuchy and a very inexperienced Chambers. Its just shooting yourself in the foot kind of stuff.

Sagna played plenty of times at centre back last season and the season before iirc. Strangely enough we lose Sagna and sell Vermaelan (great business by us) and loan out Jenkinson (??) and only bring in Debuchy and a very inexperienced Chambers. Its just shooting yourself in the foot kind of stuff.

Ah yeah he's not bought nearly enough players in the defensive positions, I was just saying I don't think he buys players with the intention of playing them out of position. It just sometimes happens that way. But thats down to his own failings in the transfer market really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It seems we're in for some 17 year old polish cdm that plays for warsaw

• Advertisement

Agree, though Arteta has been really important to us for the last few years.

I think we're becoming less reliant on retaining possession though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Honestly i'd rather spend 16-19M on a proven Wanyama rather than the 25M for Carvalho.

Tough one this

Two different types of DMs

Do you think we need the more physical but not great on the ball (wanyama)

Or the not as physical but very good on the ball Carvalho)

I think we need the carvalho type we need a good passer at the base of midfield

I don't think we are

If we're going to be playin, Sanchez, walcott, ox, Welbeck in the team

We need the midfield behind to retain posession and set them free at the right time as there poor enough at retaining it

Arteta really is a rock in our midfield, but age is against him sadly

I fully agree we haven't been consistent since he was injured

Upgrade on him will do the finest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I've liked the change from possession to counter attacking. We're much less pedestrian and it's more entertaining to watch.. I'd rather watch us play like that than possession but it might not be AS successful.

To be honest it's the lack of midfield which has led Wenger to change his tactics as soon as Ozil, Ramsey, Arteta etc. are back we are definitely going to revert back to this slow pedestrian possession game .. hopefully not

We're becoming less reliant on retaining possession because Wenger doesn't trust Coquelin to distribute and dictate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The tiki-taka possession for possession's sake stuff only really started over the past 3 or 4 years trying to be like Barca. The Invincibles were absolutely lethal on the counter attack, based on being solid enough at the back to allow other teams possession, then winning it and letting Pires, Bergkamp and Titi do their thing.

I feel we still have good enough forward options for that kind of play in Ozil, Walcott, Sanchez and the like but the problem is and has been for years now the lack of spine and defensive stability.

On Wanyama I went to Celtic v Hearts in that 12/13 season and he was so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch it wasn't even funny. The fact he came from the SPL means diddley he's exactly the type of beast we could do with.

That's not to say he's the only option like that out there or we missed the boat on him, we miss the boat on all those players nowadays just 'cause Wenger never goes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

There's something quite annoying about the Sanogo Loan deal to be honest. The fact we have used him so many times in First team conditions where we could have used more experienced backup instead is a plan more inclined to train a player in matches that don't matter, rather than field the best possible team for the night. I'm all for giving our young players a chance to grow, but I feel we could have had some more experienced heads playing in some games this season if we have decided he's not first team ready already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

na we need a proper dcm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Just saw this on the BBC football gossip.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is likely to keep January transfer activity to a minimum due to the Gunners' improving injury situation. (The Times - subscription required)
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

I hope he gets a DMF at the least....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Just saw this on the BBC football gossip.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is likely to keep January transfer activity to a minimum due to the Gunners' improving injury situation. (The Times - subscription required)
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

I hope he gets a DMF at the least....
    realistically are we best holding off until the summer to get the best option we can.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement