Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Legia Warsaw have rejected our offer for that young lad, according to sky sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    Am I mental or has this complaint just seemlessly gone from...

'We don't look to sign world class players enough'

to

'We missed the boat on Wanyama'

So if I get this right, Wenger persued Carvalho and Khedira but missed the boat on Wanyama and left us criminally short.

But he shouldn't go after Reid because we need world class talent.

Is it different people arguing these points or something?

I don't think he's good enough.
    We should be looking for better than Mert and make Mert the back-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yipeeeee wrote: »
    realistically are we best holding off until the summer to get the best option we can.

I think we'll do most of our business during the summer, but the best option will be snapped up by another club while we happy over a few quid. I'd be shocked if there were any big signings in this window, It rarely happens. Squaddies and youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think we are

If we're going to be playin, Sanchez, walcott, ox, Welbeck in the team

We need the midfield behind to retain posession and set them free at the right time as there poor enough at retaining it

Granted but I think when we were playing with a setup of

Ramsey
    Ozil - Caz - Wilshire
    Giroud

for a lot of last year, we really needed to retain the ball, switch sides a lot and focus on dragging people out of position, getting an overlap, waiting for an error etc. It was the problem with having no speed.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I've liked the change from possession to counter attacking. We're much less pedestrian and it's more entertaining to watch.. I'd rather watch us play like that than possession but it might not be AS successful.

To be honest it's the lack of midfield which has led Wenger to change his tactics as soon as Ozil, Ramsey, Arteta etc. are back we are definitely going to revert back to this slow pedestrian possession game .. hopefully not

We're becoming less reliant on retaining possession because Wenger doesn't trust Coquelin to distribute and dictate!

Have you missed our matches for a long time?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Just saw this on the BBC football gossip.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is likely to keep January transfer activity to a minimum due to the Gunners' improving injury situation. (The Times - subscription required)
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

I hope he gets a DMF at the least....

Didn't I tell yis ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Defenders and a defensive midfielder should be our No. 1 and No.1 priority.

Not too pushed on attacking minded players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tough one this

Two different types of DMs

Do you think we need the more physical but not great on the ball (wanyama)

Or the not as physical but very good on the ball Carvalho)

I think we need the carvalho type we need a good passer at the base of midfield

But we could also do with a big strong rock who wouldnt be pushed off the ball too easy, we're lacking a bit of bite to our middle section, hard one to chose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's ridiculous how some people here are suddenly happy to wait till the Summer for some signings, yet they were calling for signings only last week.

Has a win against Hull really changed your minds that much? Maybe a good hammering away to Man City will change your minds again.,

We'll see how things sit after Stoke punish us next weekend.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's ridiculous how some people here are suddenly happy to wait till the Summer for some signings, yet they were calling for signings only last week.

Has a win against Hull really changed your minds that much? Maybe a good hammering away to Man City will change your minds again.,

Moving goalposts and cans getting kicked down the road. Always something gonna happen next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Starting centre back, starting dm and Podli replacement are my wishes. Unrealistic in Janaury? Yes indeed, but we shouldnt be in this hole in the first place. Hopefully Arsene and Ivan show a bit of competency.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We'll see how things sit after Stoke punish us next weekend.

Stoke are a different animal in the Emirates, rarely give us trouble there.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Stoke are a different animal in the Emirates, rarely give us trouble there.

Thats what I was hinting at, it should be very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

A CB and a DM are a must this window

I think we will only get the CB though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Have you missed our matches for a long time?

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

That would be good business by Legia, bought him for 9,500 six months ago and looking for 2.3 million now, Nice markup

I like this bit --

"Legia Warsaw purchased Bielik from Lech Poznan for £9,500 last July, tying him down to a contract until 2017".

I'd say we bit 10K + 1 euro :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So it looks like Sanogo is off to Bordeaux?

With him and Podolski off, there has to be some sort of striker joining. Right?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So it looks like Sanogo is off to Bordeaux?

With him and Podolski off, there has to be some sort of striker joining. Right?

Podolski was mainly used out left, where he rarely started and with Ozil coming back there's very very little chance of him getting any game time.

Sanogo like Poldi has better players ahead of him upfront. You could argue that Alexis, Giroud, Welbeck and Theo are all ahead of him for the CF position.

I'd be very very surprised if we strengthened up front.

What do you mean?

We have been playing a slow build-up for ages.
    No Pires or Freddy for the fast breaks now.

Podolski was mainly used out left, where he rarely started and with Ozil coming back there's very very little chance of him getting any game time.

Sanogo like Poldi has better players ahead of him upfront. You could argue that Alexis, Giroud, Welbeck and Theo are all ahead of him for the CF position.

I'd be very very surprised if we strengthened up front.

Every player you mentioned bar Alexis has missed games because of injury. Not getting more cover would be madness.

Besides, if we're honest, we need and upgrade on Giroud &/or Wellbeck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

We have been playing a slow build-up for ages.
    No Pires or Freddy for the fast breaks now.

Okay tayto I'll post this again.

I've liked the change from possession to counter attacking. (in recent weeks we've changed styles due to injuries) We're much less pedestrian and it's more entertaining to watch.. I'd rather watch us play like that than possession but it might not be AS successful.

To be honest it's the lack of midfield which has led Wenger to change his tactics (in recent weeks due to injuries) as soon as Ozil, Ramsey, Arteta etc. are back we are definitely going to revert back to this slow pedestrian possession game .. hopefully not

We're becoming less reliant on retaining possession because Wenger doesn't trust Coquelin to distribute and dictate! (in recent weeks due to injuries)

I'm well aware we have been a possession team for so long but in recent weeks we have been playing a much more counter attacking game and it's refreshing to watch, what I'm saying is when Ozil, Arteta, Ramsey return we are going to revert back to the old pedestrian way

I know City are in a different financial league to us but I admire the way clubs can do their business so early. Milan and Madrid too. We have needed a centre back since August, surely we have identified someone before now? If its Perrin he wants, pay the money instead of trying to save a million or two. Need to integrate them now.

• Advertisement

Totally agree about signing them soon.

If you want the player enough to want him for Feb, March, April, May, surely you want him in the squad asap, and get another month out of him?

Totally agree about signing them soon.

If you want the player enough to want him for Feb, March, April, May, surely you want him in the squad asap, and get another month out of him?

Seems the only logical way to think about it. We cant be shy about spending the extra bit just to guarantee them in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I agree to an extent, But if someone is going for 30mill on the 6th of Jan and 20mill on the 31st I don't mind missing a few games for 10mill you know?

I agree to an extent, But if someone is going for 30mill on the 6th of Jan and 20mill on the 31st I don't mind missing a few games for 10mill you know?

I do, that could be 9-12 points up for grabs in the league. Could be vital come season end imo.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I do, that could be 9-12 points up for grabs in the league. Could be vital come season end imo.

If we were signing Matic or Kompany or something, But I'd imagine whoever we sign isn't going to be the difference between 9-12 points in the space of a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Sure, otherwise the 10 mil just sits in the bank. Doesn't do the team any good there. I would agree, were it not for the piles of cash that are already in that bank.

If we were signing Matic or Kompany or something, But I'd imagine whoever we sign isn't going to be the difference between 9-12 points in the space of a few weeks.

But there is no guarantee we get them cheaper. Teams no how desperate we are for a centre back and DM, if anything it inflates the price the later it goes imo. True but we need all the time possible to integrate new players, but we usually hesitate over a couple of million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Business rarely works that way though, at the end of the window the seller has even more power than early on because they hold all the cards, the buyer basically has to put up or shut up.

It's hard to imagine how anyone could lose a third of their transfer value in a month anyway, unless they break their leg or something.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Business rarely works that way though, at the end of the window the seller has even more power than early on because they hold all the cards, the buyer basically has to put up or shut up.

It's hard to imagine how anyone could lose a third of their transfer value in a month anyway, unless they break their leg or something.

We are most likely going to be buying a player from a club where either the player wants to leave or the club wants to sell or both,

Wenger won't just start popping offers left,right and center he will go for who is available, if someone is available they are available for a reason. The player's value doesn't go down, the club's willingness to sell increase's

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Its gonna be another deadline day saga isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

City in talks for Bony, Swansea looking for more then 30M - BBC Sports

Every player you mentioned bar Alexis has missed games because of injury. Not getting more cover would be madness.

Besides, if we're honest, we need and upgrade on Giroud &/or Wellbeck anyway.

I completely agree with your points. Regarding the Arsenal needing to recruit better players than Giroud and Welbeck, its very hard if not next to impossible seeing Arsene doing that.

As I see it now and I'd imagine Arsene is looking at it from this point of view also is that we are loosing Poldi and Sanogo but gaining Walcott and Ozil. Theo and Mes are more adaptable position wise.

I'd assume Theo wasn't registered in our Champions League squad so that would limit either Poldi's or Sanogo ability to get a game or even in match day squad.

In a weird way, it almost makes sense :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Podolski to be on the bench in the inter vs juventus derby tonight

Oh how happy Id be if we somehow got Dzeko!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Podolski to be on the bench in the inter vs juventus derby tonight

He's short of match fitness I'd imagine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He's short of match fitness I'd imagine :pac:

He already scored a tasty goal in training with inter

http://instagram.com/p/xfHiyiOJ02/?modal=true

Wenger is the ultimate troll.

Fans killing each other due to the fallout from not having enough defenders.

Transfer window opens

Offload 2 strikers

WP

gosplan wrote: »
    Wenger is the ultimate troll.

Fans killing each other due to the fallout from not having enough defenders.

Transfer window opens

Offload 2 strikers

WP

Is Sanogo gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Just on people giving out about what Wenger is quoted on the BBC report, he's hardly going to come out and say, "yes, I am desperate for players, so all selling clubs, you can up your prices by 25%" now is he? Of course he's going to report that he's satisfied withe the squad with all the returning injuries… Clubs are like vultures circling on weakened clubs some times.

Wenger cannot show any desperation!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I'd rather we keep our money and go all out in the summer.

No point signing another sqillachi or Santos on a 4 year deal and not been able to offload them.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Just on people giving out about what Wenger is quoted on the BBC report, he's hardly going to come out and say, "yes, I am desperate for players, so all selling clubs, you can up your prices by 25%" now is he? Of course he's going to report that he's satisfied withe the squad with all the returning injuries… Clubs are like vultures circling on weakened clubs some times.

Do a quick search of older Arsenal threads, and you'll find the same bullshít said every transfer window. Then it's used as an excuse when we get no one.

It's already happening now where people want to finish the season with just two centre backs. Mental. It's like a form of Stockholm syndrome. Wenger really is a PR master the way he has some people wrapped around his finger. Who do people think will be available in the summer that aren't available now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If we could get a DFM that would cover CB I'd be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Its all a bit silly getting all hysterical when we're barely a week into the window.

I'll hold my tongue until the window closes.

emmetlego wrote: »

You're absolutely right.

Nothing anyone says during silly season should be taken remotely seriously until you see the player in the shirt.

(Remember last time...I got a few texts saying we'd signed Alexis Sanchez...replied saying don't believe till you see it...then someone sent me a picture...let out a big yelp in the airport I was sitting around in. What a day that was!)

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do a quick search of older Arsenal threads, and you'll find the same bullshít said every transfer window. Then it's used as an excuse when we get no one.

It's already happening now where people want to finish the season with just two centre backs. Mental. It's like a form of Stockholm syndrome. Wenger really is a PR master the way he has some people wrapped around his finger. Who do people think will be available in the summer that aren't available now?

Sorry but just on the last point.

It's clear that top players are far far harder to acquire in Jan.

I think he has to buy now btw. Whoever the best CB not cup tied in Europe for me. Happily take Reid due to added premiership experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement