Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    Sorry but just on the last point.

It's clear that top players are far far harder to acquire in Jan.

I think he has to buy now btw. Whoever the best CB not cup tied in Europe for me.

Exactly why you should buy in the summer. We didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Centre back and that's it this window I'd say. It really would be a huge mistake not to sign one.

Ted Knutson posted Loic Perrins stats for this season on Twitter. I've never seen him play but I've read that he lacks a bit of pace so that wouldn't be ideal. His stats are very good though. Very hard to get a feel for a player without actually watching him though.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/552102062528667648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gosplan wrote: »
    Sorry but just on the last point.

It's clear that top players are far far harder to acquire in Jan.

I think he has to buy now btw. Whoever the best CB not cup tied in Europe for me.

Personally I'm not worried about the player being cup tied. It's an investment in the team that will be more for next year than this. Plus I can't see us going on too much of a run so it'll make very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunately though it'll be just like last summer's window where we will still be here at the close of the window waiting on news that's not coming, and Wenger will say he tried, but couldn't find the value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just want to remind everyone, since they seem to have forgotten, Wenger brought in Sanchez in the last window. Which I'm sure you'll all agree was a brilliant signing.

So ease up on the whining and wait and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The "whining" is fully justified. We had a title challenging team this time last year; albeit one that was badly found out from February onwards, but a title challenging team nonetheless. Now look at us...

You can't pat Wenger on the back for bringing in Sanchez while ignoring the huge mistakes he made overall in that window. He may have won the Sanchez battle but overall he lost the war. The net points gained by bringing Sanchez in have unfortunately been trumped by the net points lost by entering the season with just two centre backs.

Kos and Mert was the best pairing in the league, but both played pretty much non stop the last few seasons despite having Tommy Vermaelen available, proper rotation of those three would have kept all three happy and protected them fitness/fatigue wise. But instead Wenger ran them into the ground, it was inevitable that Kos/Mert were going to have form and fitness issues, particularly after world cup campaigns which went to the quarter final and final respectively.

The worst part was, Wenger has often spoken of how players can struggle to get going in the first few months of a season after a world cup or Euro championship campaign, judging by what he has said in the past he knew he was playing with fire by forcing those two to continue to have to play every game.

Speaking of playing with fire; he's doing the same to Alexis; after a world cup campaign with little summer break, and his first season with no mid season break, I've a very bad feeling that Alexis is not too far away from being our latest medium to long term injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just want to remind everyone, since they seem to have forgotten, Wenger brought in Sanchez in the last window. Which I'm sure you'll all agree was a brilliant signing.

So ease up on the whining and wait and see what happens.

In fairness it's much easier to secure a player like Sanchez in the summer transfer window than the January one.

Im not expecting anybody major this month anyway, don't think anybody should get overly hopeful.

Gundogan or bender are still on the wishlist though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Wanyama is a fine player just cos he came from the SPL doesnt mean squat.
    He was a big miss, would have been worth a punt.

Steven Davis , midfielder for southampton also came from the SPL, played for Rangers 2011/2012, same season Wanyama made his breakthru.

Wanyama and Davies were both instrumental in the saints performances against Arsenal.

So EuropeanSon, what your saying is that Arsenal were played off the park not once but twice by a couple of 'below championship level' midfield players. :rolleyes:

Arsenes is a bit of a snob, wouldfeel he has belittled himself picking up a player from the SPL. He probably doesnt even watch it.

oh and lets not forget Fraserfoster the Saints GK, who joined saints after a 3 year speel at Celtic.
    so there you go 3 SPLs players ... took Ligue 1 to town ....

I said nothing other than that the SPL is below championship level, which it is. Your post is full of sh!t.

:rolleyes:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do a quick search of older Arsenal threads, and you'll find the same bullshít said every transfer window. Then it's used as an excuse when we get no one.

It's already happening now where people want to finish the season with just two centre backs. Mental. It's like a form of Stockholm syndrome. Wenger really is a PR master the way he has some people wrapped around his finger. Who do people think will be available in the summer that aren't available now?

Messi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Messi?

He'd never survive a rainy Tuesday night on Tyneside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Criminal if we dont address our weakness's in this transfer windown absolutely criminal. We have a nice draw in the last 16 of the Champs Lge, 2 strong players in centre half and dmf and we would have a realistic shot at going all the way.

• Advertisement

Watching the Hammers tonight, Forget Winston Reid. Not good enough for us IMO, Jenks has played very well, and Collins has been excellent in defence also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

emmetlego wrote: »
    Watching the Hammers tonight, Forget Winston Reid. Not good enough for us IMO, Jenks has played very well, and Collins has been excellent in defence also.

As I have been saying.
    We need to buy only proven players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Reports campnell off too Spain snd sanogo to France

I no I don't particularly rate them, but come on

As I have been saying.
    We need to buy only proven players.
    Agree, he'd be a downgrade on Mert or Kos. We need someone who would take Per's place unless he improves to last seasons standards ASAP.

On a slightly different note. How are City able to buy/bid for Bony when they are apparently maxed out on FPP?

I no people saying we have to buy better than we have

But because of out imcompetence in the summer we have to buy in jan

Weather it's better the same or worse we need to get a body in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Just watching pod, wonder what Wenger had planned for him when he arrived.

Was it left me a front three or lone striker or playing upfront with two?

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Just watching pod, wonder what Wenger had planned for him when he arrived.

Was it left me a front three or lone striker or playing upfront with two?

Where are you watching that? Streaming or TV?

Bordeaux have been very open about their interest in acquiring Sanogo on loan, but hadn't heard about Campbell… Who wants him? I can see him letting 1 go, but not both… Unless, he has a big striker in mind to come in… *pipe dreams*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

emmetlego wrote: »
    Where are you watching that? Streaming or TV?

Setanta Ireland i think it was.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland i think it was.

Thanks. Missed it.

Story of a Gunners life, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

shano_88 wrote: »
    Centre back and that's it this window I'd say. It really would be a huge mistake not to sign one.

Ted Knutson posted Loic Perrins stats for this season on Twitter. I've never seen him play but I've read that he lacks a bit of pace so that wouldn't be ideal. His stats are very good though. Very hard to get a feel for a player without actually watching him though.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/552102062528667648

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 2m2 minutes ago
    Sense on Loic Perrin is that Arsenal looked closely but have moved on for now #AFC

Looks an unlikely move already.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 2m2 minutes ago
    Sense on Loic Perrin is that Arsenal looked closely but have moved on for now #AFC

Looks an unlikely move already.

At least he's looking!!! Be thankful for small mercies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Personally I'm not worried about the player being cup tied. .
    It's already happening now where people want to finish the season with just two centre backs. Mental. It's like a form of Stockholm syndrome. Wenger really is a PR master the way he has some people wrapped around his finger. Who do people think will be available in the summer that aren't available now?

If the player is cup-tied, then we will be finishing with two centre backs in the Champions League. If there is no room in the Premier League 25, we will be finishing with two centre-backs in the Premier League.

There is more to a transfer window than just showing up and buying the first centre-half off the shelf. There are teams who won't sell because they can't get a replacement. There are players who will wait for the Bosman or entering the last year of their contract for a better choice and more money.

Godge wrote: »
    If the player is cup-tied, then we will be finishing with two centre backs in the Champions League. If there is no room in the Premier League 25, we will be finishing with two centre-backs in the Premier League.

There is more to a transfer window than just showing up and buying the first centre-half off the shelf. There are teams who won't sell because they can't get a replacement. There are players who will wait for the Bosman or entering the last year of their contract for a better choice and more money.

Varane is reported to be looking for an out from Real. Only 20M too. We should be all over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Varane is reported to be looking for an out from Real. Only 20M too. We should be all over that.

Can't see him moving for only 20mil. He's massively rated, young and playing for Madrid. He'll be a lot more than that i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

silly season, hes 21, no way he's going anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

No way he goes for that!
    He's easily in the top 3 best you defenders out there and would walk into most teams back 4.

35-40M would be the cheapest.

Mirror in the UK are the ones reporting it,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/raphael-varane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mirror in the UK are the ones reporting it,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/raphael-varane

They're also reporting about the world's biggest blackheads being removed (with video) and I found a small head in my tesco vinegar bottle.

Nothing to be relied upon with that toilet paper

• Advertisement

Indeed sir, a redtop rag.

2 weeks ago they said we'd be under a new year two foot of snow with more to come!

Forget what these papers report. David Ornstein BBC is straightforward and solid. When he reports it, it's got foundation! Follow him on twitter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What about this, loan deal for Laporte with option to buy for summer, with Campbell going their way tied in?

What about this, loan deal for Laporte with option to buy for summer, with Campbell going their way tied in?

Barcelona bound.
    Would also cost an obscene amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Barcelona bound.
    Would also cost an obscene amount of money.

Can't be Barce bound while they're banned from buying.

Can't be Barce bound while they're banned from buying.

Oh yeah :pac:

Barcelona B maybe? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

im having sudden flashbacks to us getting rid of gervinho, arshavin and chamakh all in the same window, that left us criminally short once the injuries hit. Not the biggest loss a club has ever had but 3 squad players and forwards that would have come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    im having sudden flashbacks to us getting rid of gervinho, arshavin and chamakh all in the same window, that left us criminally short once the injuries hit. Not the biggest loss a club has ever had but 3 squad players and forwards that would have come in handy.

Not too bothered about these guys, pod on the otherhand does.

Surely wenger is getting in a striker but I wouldn't be so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Smoking. In the showers. After a pitiful defeat when he had a nightmare. How stupid and unprofessional can you get?

"Oh it's only a cigarette." **** that.. Scez is outrageously over rated, is far too cocky and this incident ( if true) sums him up. Needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Smoking. In the showers. After a pitiful defeat when he had a nightmare. How stupid and unprofessional can you get?

"Oh it's only a cigarette." **** that.. Scez is outrageously over rated, is far too cocky and this incident ( if true) sums him up. Needs replacing
    I'm pretty sure it's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That over reaction though

The bony to city deal shows what we're up against

30m getting 180 grand a week to be probably 3rd choice striker

• Advertisement

And most people complained that Podolski was sitting on the bench earning 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

byrneg28 wrote: »
    And most people complained that Podolski was sitting on the bench earning 100k

was just about to say that...Even though we have money, there's no way we can afford 180K /week for first choice let alone third choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ridiculous - Giroud cost less than half that and is more effective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

While I agree, we shouldnt be focusing on them. We have our own deficiencies with plenty enough money to fix our problem areas. What do we do so? Just give up and save the money again to scrape fourth whilst promising this summer will be big which we know it wont. Simeone didnt do that in Spain and he overcame much worse and looks like he could do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

how can they spend that? I thought they were at their limit with FPP?

Raf32 wrote: »
    While I agree, we shouldnt be focusing on them. We have our own deficiencies with plenty enough money to fix our problem areas. What do we do so? Just give up and save the money again to scrape fourth whilst promising this summer will be big which we know it wont. Simeone didnt do that in Spain and he overcame much worse and looks like he could do it again.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and unfortunately Wenger won't do this for the 'future-success' of the club. I believe we will struggle for 4th for the next 2 years but by then Wenger will leave behind a team he has built that will be ready for European and Domestic domination.

Well in Wenger's mind anyway, his youth project during the late 2000s involving Nasri, Fabregas, Clichy, v.Persie growing into a World Class squad while additions where few and far between was a nice idea as well but people think of themselves.. unlike Wenger. I'd be worried if his project of building this team will have the same effect and in the meantime we'll say goodbye to Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey and Sanchez...

Now we play the waiting game.. waiting game sucks I wanna play hungry hungry hippos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

are we really looking to offload Podolski, Campbell and Sanogo all in one window?

I gotta say, this worries me. I know we got in Welbeck since but we were very short at the start of the season and Sanogo was getting game time. What if we are short again.

Il go mental if Wenger fixes our lack of defensive cover but ends up leaving us short up top

jonny666 wrote: »
    are we really looking to offload Podolski, Campbell and Sanogo all in one window?

I gotta say, this worries me. I know we got in Welbeck since but we were very short at the start of the season and Sanogo was getting game time. What if we are short again.

Il go mental if Wenger fixes our lack of defensive cover but ends up leaving us short up top

We play with 1 striker and we've got options in Giroud, Welbeck, Sanchez and Walcott. I wouldn't be too worried personally if it was just Sanogo and Podolski. I'd like Campbell to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

jonny666 wrote: »

I wouldn't worry. He won't be fixing our defensive cover issue. Last year we had a chance of the title. He needed to replace the injured Theo and improve the attacking options. He didn't bother in January.

If you hope he sorts out the defensive and defensive midfield issues you will be disappointed.

City are paying bony £100k a week not £180k. We can afford that. Look at podolski - probably was 4th choice after Sanogo (who is absolute tripe and I'd pay his taxi fare to leave the club).

Because of FFP we have the resources and ability to buy big now but the board are too interested in profits not success on the pitch and Arsene plays a blinder for them in that regard.

the guff about players being cup tied - does anyone realistically think we are going to win it? If the board or Arsene believed they would go out and spend big on the best non-cup tied cb and dmf. Upgrade in the summer on these as well as we need cover but it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Isn't Bony going to Africa for that Cup of Nations crap?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement