Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Isn't Bony going to Africa for that Cup of Nations crap?

Yep, he sure is. I don't think he'd be an improvement on Giroud anyway, and that would be the only striker that would interest me. We shouldn't buy mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

emmetlego wrote: »
    Yep, he sure is. I don't think he'd be an improvement on Giroud anyway, and that would be the only striker that would interest me. We shouldn't buy mediocrity.

Yeah Bony wouldn't interest me in the slightest either.

Unless City are going through an injury crisis I can't see how signing him makes sense.

But then when I think of what Arsene didnt do in the January transfer window last season and how that destroyed us. Compare that to how Pellegrini is approaching it and its frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yeah Bony wouldn't interest me in the slightest either.

Unless City are going through an injury crisis I can't see how signing him makes sense.

But then when I think of what Arsene didnt do in the January transfer window last season and how that destroyed us. Compare that to how Pellegrini is approaching it and its frustrating.

Well they have been playing milner upfront as a striker for the part few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id be fairly sure we will get a defender this month but beyond that I can't see anything. No point in buying a CF unless he's top class and a big improvement and can't see us getting the great DM we need till summer. It would be a bit strange to let 3 forwards leave but I still think that we should be okay with Giroud Welbeck Alexis and Walcott albeit a bit light if there are injuries but Akpom could see some game time.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well they have been playing milner upfront as a striker for the part few games.

I guess Pellegrini is thinking about his job. If he didnt buy a player and he gets sacked for winning nothing this season then he'd only have himself to blame.

Wenger has it so easy at Arsenal :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

byrneg28 wrote: »
    We play with 1 striker and we've got options in Giroud, Welbeck, Sanchez and Walcott. I wouldn't be too worried personally if it was just Sanogo and Podolski. I'd like Campbell to stay

Walcott and Sanchez cant play up front on their own properly I think. Walcott is only just back from a long term injury so I wouldnt be expecting too much out of him either.

We have all 4 available now but what about in two months time when FA cup, league and CL games are all coming thick and fast.

Campbell for me is the only one I couldnt give two fecks about. Dont rate him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I guess Pellegrini is thinking about his job. If he didnt buy a player and he gets sacked for winning nothing this season then he'd only have himself to blame.

Surely Pellegrini has it handier than Wenger ☺ am I gone crazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Maybe Ozil will get to play as a 10 behind Giroud or Welbeck when he gets back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Compared to a fella with a blank cheque?

(FFP window dressing b*ll**** aside)

• Advertisement

Says on that RTE News channel that Victor Valdes is set to sign for Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Says on that RTE News channel that Victor Valdes is set to sign for Man Utd.

Strange one

Realistically with the squad we have in attack we should be playing basically 4-2-4 with Walcott, Ozil, Sanchez and I suppose Giroud up front. If we had some solidity in midfield that is. It's hard to know what to do with the defensive half of the field so light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Strange one

Nah, they can play him in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Realistically with the squad we have in attack we should be playing basically 4-2-4 with Walcott, Ozil, Sanchez and I suppose Giroud up front. If we had some solidity in midfield that is. It's hard to know what to do with the defensive half of the field so light.

If only we where as well stacked at the back, we'd be a serious team, that front four looks lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

we need to buy two CB's a new GK and a world class defensive destroyer.
    i say put down 50m for the best avaiable DM and use 30m for defenders

• Advertisement

If only we where as well stacked at the back, we'd be a serious team, that front four looks lethal!

It does, doesn't it? God, I'd love to see how good we'd be if we were injury free for a decent while.

It does, doesn't it? God, I'd love to see how good we'd be if we were injury free for a decent while.

maybe once CL kick off we can be injury free from feb-till may

Hell even putting Welbeck in for Giroud it would still look good. It's the lack of 2 midfielders behind it along with the often soft defence that means we can't play that way.
    I was actually talking to someone the other day and we were saying that we can't understand how we don't score more from long attacks. Spray the ball out to Ozil/Sanchez to play it on or put it ahead of Walcott or give it to Giroud to lay off. Just never seem to do what should be the strongest thing for the players to do.

Why do we need a new gk when we already have Ospina as back up to Szczesny? We don't need a gk at all.

Why do we need a new gk when we already have Ospina as back up to Szczesny? We don't need a gk at all.

true

well we need to spend 30m on new defenders and 50m for a dm

• Advertisement

Agreed, but someone needs to give Szcz a slap in the chops if that smoking business is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

true

who has ever spent 50m on a DM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On the 50million DM you tout, who is worth that much? :eek:

Even the most optimistic club wouldnt get that for a DM that I can think of off the top of my head and I include Matic in that bracket.

Um...there really does seem to be a significant lack of transfer rumours all the same. Has a single name been mentioned all day here?

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Um...there really does seem to be a significant lack of transfer rumours all the same. Has a single name been mentioned all day here?

Kalou?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

GavRedKing wrote: »

Even the most optimistic club wouldnt get that for a DM that I can think of off the top of my head and I include Matic in that bracket.

Maybe Javi Martinez?
    Even then thats extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd give you 50m for Matic, would make more difference to this team than Ozil (42m) and Di Maria (60m).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

PSG and David Luiz is the closest I can think of

I've seen talk of Schneiderlin, but for the Summer

greendom wrote: »
    I've seen talk of Schneiderlin, but for the Summer

Johnathan Calleri too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I saw that article alright about Schneiderlin. I wouldnt mind waiting until the summer if we were definitely going to get him but we all know he wont. Season ticket renewal time!

symbolic wrote: »
    Surely Pellegrini has it handier than Wenger ☺ am I gone crazy?

From a "expectations & repercussions" point of view Arsene is on easy street compared to Pellegrini.

You've chosen to miss my point I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Absolutely, pellegrini will be sacked if man city don’t achieve their targets.

But that is because their owner is interested in building city into a football force and winning titles and has spent a frankly huge sum of money to achieve this.
    I wonder what Stan Kroenke’s interested in?
    It’s certainly not investing money on Arsenal winning titles.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Absolutely, pellegrini will be sacked if man city don’t achieve their targets.

But that is because their owner is interested in building city into a football force and winning titles and has spent a frankly huge sum of money to achieve this.
    I wonder what Stan Kroenke’s interested in?
    It’s certainly not investing money on Arsenal winning titles.
    Aye, there's been some amount of money poured in, and not just on players. How sustainable it will be if they can't maintain fairly high levels of success for the next 5-10 years remains to be seen but it must be nice to win things. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Aye, there's been some amount of money poured in, and not just on players. How sustainable it will be if they can't maintain fairly high levels of success for the next 5-10 years remains to be seen but it must be nice to win things. :P

The training complex they’ve built, 200m+ it cost, is incredibly impressive.

I'd love to win a league but it's not going to be easy with them around :D

Pudders wrote: »
    Kalou?

Sure what would we do with him?

true

Surely you mean for 2 dms at that price?

People who go on about investment and transfer policy rarely mention money spent on facilities and infrastructure, such as plans to update the training grounds and the recently completed medical complex.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Walcott and Sanchez cant play up front on their own properly I think. Walcott is only just back from a long term injury so I wouldnt be expecting too much out of him either.

We have all 4 available now but what about in two months time when FA cup, league and CL games are all coming thick and fast.

Campbell for me is the only one I couldnt give two fecks about. Dont rate him at all.

I don't think Walcott and Sanchez work in a def 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 which was the majority of what we played last season with Giroud up top

I do think they could work in a False 9 and that's why I included Walcott. Sanchez did it a bit vs.Hull he dropped into the hole every now and again which drew the centre backs out of position allowing him room to play Walcott/Campbell in behind.. very nice variety in tactics!

As borat would say I LIKE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Maybe Javi Martinez?
    Even then thats extreme.
    Busquets. Even then....

Ok 50m for a DM is insane. Moving on, when are we getting said Martinez/Biscuits :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

From a "expectations & repercussions" point of view Arsene is on easy street compared to Pellegrini.

You've chosen to miss my point I think

From amount spent by the clubs the expectations are probably on level pegging no?

Busquets. Even then....

Ok 50m for a DM is insane. Moving on, when are we getting said Martinez/Biscuits :cool:

I'd defo pay 50m for Busquets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

PSG and David Luiz is the closest I can think of

Hes playing CB for them though and even at that his price was crazy, inflated by about 20million for his hair alone.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really think there's no chance of a dm before summer, there's three in the squad at the moment. Would be criminal if we don't get a centreback this month but it was criminal we didn't get one in the summer too though.

B6vrqUeCIAAxXIp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ridiculous paper talk of us preparing a bid for isco

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Ridiculous paper talk of us preparing a bid for isco

Couldn't help but think of this....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/17/arsene-wenger-julian-draxler-arsenal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

B6vrqUeCIAAxXIp.jpg

I'd take number 3 now in a flash.

the very best DM mate :)

khadira is a dm aint he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

khadira is a dm aint he?

Not really.
    Just a big CM.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement