Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

khadira is a dm aint he?

He'd be a good option in CM anyway, very good box to box player but hes had a few injuries through his career so much so that hes played under 300 club games so far.

For a free option in the summer or a nominal fee now, any club would do well to pass on him, but it does depend on what valuation Real put on him for a foreign club in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

symbolic wrote: »
    From amount spent by the clubs the expectations are probably on level pegging no?

My point isn't to do with cash spent by whom, its directly related to what the board expect their manager to achieve and then the repercussions of not meeting those expectations. Arsenal could easily finish outside the top 4, hell even 6th is a horrendous possibility considering our wavy form this season.
    If it where a cluster **** at the end of the season, Arsene absolutely will not get the sack. There is no pressure from the board on Arsene to achieve or to exceed expectations.

City on the other hand are liable to do anything. If they get smashed by Barca and finish 3rd then there's every chance Pellegrini with get the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

My point isn't to do with cash spent by whom, its directly related to what the board expect their manager to achieve and then the repercussions of not meeting those expectations.

Yeah but the expectations vary due to the cash.

Anyway I just think comparing them without context is a bit unfair.

But yes I do agree with you, Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan could decide next summer that he wants Pellegrini gone if he doesn't win the league. And I agree I don't see Arsenal doing the same thing. I think that's a good thing though. I wouldn't see it as an embarrassing easy street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Isco would actually be perfect. If ye got him. Wilshire is way too inconsistent. Front four of Sanchez, Ozil, Isco
    and Giroud would strike fear into anyone. Would even make teams less offensively minded against ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Turtwig wrote: »
    Isco would actually be perfect. If ye got him. Wilshire is way too inconsistent. Front four of Sanchez, Ozil, Isco
    and Giroud would strike fear into anyone. Would even make teams less offensively minded against ye.

He wouldn't be perfect he'd be an unnecessary luxury, wilshere? Cazorla has well and truly claimed his place in our first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Isco is much better than both of them. Although of late Santi's form has been mighty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Isco is a great player but we have too many of his kind already. It would just lead to a more imbalanced squad and more players playing out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Isco is much better than both of them. Although of late Santi's form has been mighty impressive.

Another attacking midfielder is literally the last thing we need though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

We'd be absolutely nuts to spend that kind of money on Isco or any type of attacking mid.

60m would buy a great defensive mid and at least 2 good CB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We'd be absolutely nuts to spend that kind of money on Isco or any type of attacking mid.

60m would buy a great defensive mid and at least 2 good CB's.

We could have got a CB, DM and Cesc for that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

That young DM all but confrims he is joining

That young DM all but confrims he is joining

Who?

Who?

Krystian Bielik think he is 16

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Who?

Probably referring to that lad Bielik

Krystian Bielik think he is 16

Will we get anyone for now I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We should throw 35 million at Juve for Pogba.

Will we get anyone for now I wonder?

Not for Midfield id say

We will def get s defender though

Not for Midfield id say

We will def get s defender though

We need both though.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We should throw 35 million at Juve for Pogba.

What about the other 35 million they'd want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    What about the other 35 million they'd want?

We can pay in installments.

We need both though.

Without doubt we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ed Aarons ‏@ed_aarons 20s21 seconds ago London, England
    Wojciech Szczesny's Dad says Per Mertesacker "showed the agility of a rhinoceros" in the defeat to Southampton

Beginning to seal his faith. Hopefully he enjoys the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Raf32 wrote: »
    Beginning to seal his faith. Hopefully he enjoys the Bundesliga.

Who's sealing his faith?

Szcz or Mert?

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Who's sealing his faith?

Szcz or Mert?

Scz. Surely he could have silenced his father? I heard on a pod last night from a reliable guy that one first teamer cant stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Scz. Surely he could have silenced his father? I heard on a pod last night from a reliable guy that one first teamer cant stand him.
    :rolleyes:

Are you able to control what your dad talks about with other people when you're not around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What does his fathers views have to do with his future at the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

His dad has always been a bit outspoken. I'd be very surprised if Ches went anywhere but equally I wouldn't be as upset as I might have been a couple of years ago.

Quazzie wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Are you able to control what your dad talks about with other people when you're not around?

Well he went to the media to belittle his team mates and has done similar in the past when criticizing the club. Surely someone serious about their career would have asked him to stop after the first time and not criticize his employers and work mates.

Who?

Is it shrouded in secrecy?

What's this got to do with anything, lots of people can be on a team and not be best of mates??

Well he went to the media to belittle his team mates and has done similar in the past when criticizing the club. Surely someone serious about their career would have asked him to stop after the first time and not criticize his employers and work mates.

If I'm not mistaken I think he works for polish TV so he's involved in the media. Also hes a former player himself so obviously he is going to be asked questions

• Advertisement

"Yes, he made a mistake on the first goal, but please look at the Arsenal defence. Per Mertesacker showed the agility of a rhinoceros. Someone should support him [Wojciech], but the coaching staff at Arsenal would rather not.
    "The entire defence this season is an embarassment."

Dunno about the part about the coaching staff but the rest is pretty much spot on. Merts attempt to clear the ball off the line was embarrassing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wonga77 wrote: »
    "Yes, he made a mistake on the first goal, but please look at the Arsenal defence. Per Mertesacker showed the agility of a rhinoceros. Someone should support him [Wojciech], but the coaching staff at Arsenal would rather not.

Dunno about the part about the coaching staff but the rest is pretty much spot on. Merts attempt to clear the ball off the line was embarrassing

In fairness, I've yet to see a failed goal line clearance that doesn't look embarrassing.

It's just typical arsenal though, it's not just one error. At least 3 players made errors for that goal. Any one of them made the right choice, and it would have been snuffed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's just typical arsenal though, it's not just one error. At least 3 players made errors for that goal. Any one of them made the right choice, and it would have been snuffed out.

The 1st goal was a bit unlucky to be fair, yes we made poor decisions, and Mert was slow back to the goal line, but it was a superb finish that I doubt anyone of the defenders would have expected.

The 2nd was just pure cock up by Woj. A panicked effort, probably etched out of the memories of their 1st… I thought Debuchy did ok for it, brought the ball under control, only for Woj to flap at it straight to the opponents… Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If I was Per I'd be very annoyed with comments like that. At the end of the day his son has won nothing (apart from an FA Cup medal he won from the bench) whilst Per is a world cup winner. Szczesny needs to tell his da to keep quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pers attempt at a clearance was pathetic. Looked nothing like a professional athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I see there's rumours that Thiago Motta has asked PSG to let him leave. I know he's 32 years old, but having watched him play over the years always thought he was a classy defender (even after he sustained a serious knee injury). If we were to go for him and I know we were heavily linked before he moved to PSG, I think he'd be a hell of a signing.

Thoughts?

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I see there's rumours that Thiago Motta has asked PSG to let him leave. I know he's 32 years old, but having watched him play over the years always thought he was a classy defender (even after he sustained a serious knee injury). If we were to go for him and I know we were heavily linked before he moved to PSG, I think he'd be a hell of a signing.

Thoughts?

Is he not a Midfielder?

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Is he not a Midfielder?

Holding mid.
    Bit like Xabi Alonso only swap great passing with great break up play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What's the pod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Roddy23 wrote: »

Thoughts?

Dont.Want.More.Old.DMs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Dont.Want.More.Old.DMs

This guy doesnt have a broken back though. At least I dont think he does.

He probably will after his first training session.

Anyway, lads, what podcasts do yis listen to for Arsenal & football news?

I listen to The Guardian Football (twice) Weekly, Second Captains and The Tuesday Club. Any I'm missing?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's the pod?

It was on ArseAmerica podcast. Its very good, he always gets on some very good guests and journalists. Had Amy Lawrence and Wearethenorthbank from twitter on this weeks one. Also listen to Bergkamp Wonderland and AFTV podcasts which prove very good along with The Tuesday Club.

Arseamerica.

Sometimes I wish our club had a different name. :-(

Anyway, I'll give it a shot, thanks a lot. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dont.Want.More.Old.DMs

Isn't DM one of the positions were experience is very important?

AdamD wrote: »

Experience is great but not on a zimmer frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Vieira was 20 when we signed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

AdamD wrote: »

:confused:

Yes, it requires good self-control not to get caught out too far forward and to read play, but I'm sure someone of say, 27, with typically 7 years first team professional football would possess that.

Dont know why we would replace Arteta who most feel is beyond his best with someone marginally younger?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement