Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

:confused:

Yes, it requires good self-control not to get caught out too far forward and to read play, but I'm sure someone of say, 27, with typically 7 years first team professional football would possess that.

Dont know why we would replace Arteta who most feel is beyond his best with someone marginally younger?

I never suggested otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-consider-ilkay-gundogan-transfer-4944615

Not exactly the DM I thought of first, seemed a tough nut before, but also saw him as a more advanced MF player as opposed to a DMF… Thoughts please?

emmetlego wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-consider-ilkay-gundogan-transfer-4944615

Not exactly the DM I thought of first, seemed a tough nut before, but also saw him as a more advanced MF player as opposed to a DMF… Thoughts please?

Have been linked with him in the past? Check
    Long running injury problems? Check
    Can be nabbed on the cheap? Check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Wouldn't touch Gundogan.
    Awful injury record and suffers from chronic back pains.

Also he seems to be playing at attacking mid these days. He's also no where near good enough to be our holding player.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch Gundogan.
    Awful injury record and suffers from chronic back pains.

Also he seems to be playing at attacking these days. He's also no where near good enough to be our holding player.

My thoughts exactly. A good player, but not what we need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

emmetlego wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. A good player, but not what we need!

Sven Bender would be ideal

Agreed, but hardly likely BVB would sell him. The Khedira rumour has fallen very flat too… Maybe Coquelin is the answer afterall! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We're being linked to Luis suarez now by the rags :pac:

Hah! Mind you, we'd win the league with him up top. Imagine him as striker with Ozil, Walcott, Sanchez behind him…

Sorry, I nearly short-circuted the laptop with the drool hanging off my lips!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    We're being linked to Luis suarez now by the rags :pac:

I can just imagine the journos all sitting around in the canteen joking about what's the most bullshít story they can get printed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I just think it's gas the way they can just write

'Wenger considering buying X'

as if they know. As if anyone outside about 5 people know who Wenger is thinking about buying.

It's amazing the way it's gone, that they really can just make stuff up in the newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

gosplan wrote: »
    I just think it's gas the way they can just write

'Wenger considering buying X'

as if they know. As if anyone outside about 5 people know who Wenger is thinking about buying.

It's amazing the way it's gone, that they really can just make stuff up in the newspapers.

It's not even people writing this ****e anymore, just an automated story publisher in which you change the player names and facts.

"Arsenal's x worries have left them lookin for a x-, and x could be jointing the gunners very soon.

X is reported to be worth x million, and can play as a x,y or a z. Reports that he has fallen out of favour with x mean this is a deal the gunners could likely make happen."

40 times a month durin silly season. 500,000 10 year olds click it, daily mail make an extra 4 grand for advertising.

Remember, the only way to combat it is to not clock the links- however daft they look!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wojciech-szczesny-statement

Ches distancing himself from the fathers comments. Think it's the right thing for him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ches distancing himself from the fathers comments. Think it's the right thing for him to do.

If he costs us another important game he should go. His had chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If he costs us another important game he should go. His had chances
    What important game has he cost us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Quazzie wrote: »
    What important game has he cost us?

Awh Quazzie you're unsubscribed

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Awh Quazzie you're unsubscribed
    Yea. Ran out yesterday I think. It's supposed to be auto renewing, so if it doesn't auto-renew before the end of today I'll go in and reactivate it.

I went in and re-subscribed too early before and ended up with two subscriptions. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Even the top keepers make mistakes, I know synz is a little prone to them but he's improving and over the last 2 seasons I think he is good enough for arsenal, who could we get in that's better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hi havent posted here for a long time due to illness

I actually liked the look of Ospina he's handling and distribution were great. I'd give him a run of games .. see how it goes

What do people think are priorities in this window...

I think cb and if we lucky a dm. Im not buying these Cavani rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Even the top keepers make mistakes, I know synz is a little prone to them but he's improving and over the last 2 seasons I think he is good enough for arsenal, who could we get in that's better?

He is a good keeper but he makes his fair share of mistakes, they only thing about him is that when he makes one he generally comes back stronger he doesnt implode and continue to make repetitive one ala Mignolet etc.

I think there are better keepers out there but I dont think he has got to the point yet were he needs replacing, he is so young for a GK and when he matures he could be top class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Southampton. A game we should have at least got a point.

A point of a win and we would be in the top 4 and pushing United for 3rd spot. Still early days yes but if we continue to p about winning one game and losing the other. We may not get top 4

One of the positives with Szczesny is when he does make a mistake he doesn't let it get to him, he doesn't fall to pieces and make a dozen more errors in the the next few games like keepers we've had in the past. That said, I do sometimes wonder if the reason why he doesn't let the mistakes get to him is because he doesn't care enough. He never looks really frustrated with himself when he makes an error. Case in point was at Southampton, was anyone else REALLY annoyed to see him sucking on his water bottle within about half a second of conceding the second goal. Very frustrating. I do think he's the best choice we have at the moment but he needs to grow up and gain a little more professionalism over the next year or so if he wants to remain number 1. People keep saying 24 is very young for a keeper, which is true as it takes a lot longer for keepers to fully earn their stripes in terms on positioning, handling, distribution etc. But 24 is old enough for any player to act professionally whereas Szczesny still acts like a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Presser:

Ozil available, Ramsey training. Not sure what keeper to pick. Ches has apologized for his sneaky drag. Sanogo will go out on loan. I understand I didnt strengthen enough in the summer, we will buy what we need this window.*.

*I made that one up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

What is he doing at a national training camp when we have a game on Sunday?

Edit: Just looked at the date on the article: March 2013

Godge wrote: »
    What is he doing at a national training camp when we have a game on Sunday?

Edit: Just looked at the date on the article: March 2013

Just realised the article is dated March 2013! Arseblog linked it this morning, must have misread what he said. He was probably saying Ches has had to do it before. Apologies.

EDIT: Yep, I need to stop skim reading the arseblog. This was the point he was making:

It’s not the first time he’s put Wojciech in a difficult position either. Back in March 2013 when he’d been dropped for Lukasz Fabianski because of his poor form (a measure which subsequently improved him as a player), his father went off on one about Arsene Wenger in the Polish press leading to Szczesny Jr to release a statement via the official website distancing himself from those comments. While this most recent diatribe probably doesn’t merit that kind of response, it’s still not particularly helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That said, I do sometimes wonder if the reason why he doesn't let the mistakes get to him is because he doesn't care enough. He never looks really frustrated with himself when he makes an error. Case in point was at Southampton, was anyone else REALLY annoyed to see him sucking on his water bottle within about half a second of conceding the second goal. Very frustrating.

That was embarrassment. It's fairly textbook. You look for anything in which to occupy yourself because you realise all eyes are on you. He took a swig...and then another...and then another....and then another. You think he was that thirsty? No. It was just something to do.

Some keepers shout at their defenders or kick posts or stare at their gloves/boots/the ground. It's all the same act. Embarrassment.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Presser:

Ozil available, Ramsey training. Not sure what keeper to pick. Ches has apologized for his sneaky drag. Sanogo will go out on loan. I understand I didnt strengthen enough in the summer, we will buy what we need this window.*.

*I made that one up

This is huge news!

Interesting that Wenger said "I haven't picked my starting 11 yet" when asked who would play in goal on Sunday. I'd still be surprised if it was anyone other the Szczesny but usually Wenger would be the type to straight up say it'll be x or y when it comes to goalkeepers.

One of the positives with Szczesny is when he does make a mistake he doesn't let it get to him, he doesn't fall to pieces and make a dozen more errors in the the next few games like keepers we've had in the past. That said, I do sometimes wonder if the reason why he doesn't let the mistakes get to him is because he doesn't care enough. He never looks really frustrated with himself when he makes an error. Case in point was at Southampton, was anyone else REALLY annoyed to see him sucking on his water bottle within about half a second of conceding the second goal. Very frustrating. I do think he's the best choice we have at the moment but he needs to grow up and gain a little more professionalism over the next year or so if he wants to remain number 1. People keep saying 24 is very young for a keeper, which is true as it takes a lot longer for keepers to fully earn their stripes in terms on positioning, handling, distribution etc. But 24 is old enough for any player to act professionally whereas Szczesny still acts like a teenager.

Agree with Kirby

On whether he cares, come on of course he does if he didnt he wouldnt be performing at the elite level he is, they are trained and coached to me mentally strong and it would be a hell of a lot worse if he was getting upset and reactionary, its a compliment to him and other top keepers that they dust themselves down mid game and 'say right mistake made move on'

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    Agree with Kirby

On whether he cares, come on of course he does if he didnt he wouldnt be performing at the elite level he is, they are trained and coached to me mentally strong and it would be a hell of a lot worse if he was getting upset and reactionary, its a compliment to him and other top keepers that they dust themselves down mid game and 'say right mistake made move on'

Well I'm not saying he doesn't care at all, but maybe just that he lacks the drive of someone like Alexis, that will to win. Compare him to Jens Lehmann for example. Ok, Jens had a much better defence in front of him but if he made a mistake I'd say he was the type of guy who would be angry with himself for days. He wouldn't let it get to him in terms of his performance, but he would still be hugely upset. Szczesny on the other hand strikes me as the type of guy who gets over his mistakes quicker than he should.

Remember the time Jens got man of the match in a 1-0 defeat at Anfield and he refused to go out and get the award because he was so upset about losing, do we think Woj would have the same attitude? I can only guess here, but I would think not. It's not a complete lack of caring, but maybe he just needs that 4 or 5% more in the desire stakes. If he did have that real winners mentality the I think the mistakes would become less frequent.

Well I'm not saying he doesn't care at all, but maybe just that he lacks the drive of someone like Alexis, that will to win. Compare him to Jens Lehmann for example. Ok, Jens had a much better defence in front of him but if he made a mistake I'd say he was the type of guy who would be angry with himself for days. He wouldn't let it get to him in terms of his performance, but he would still be hugely upset. Szczesny on the other hand strikes me as the type of guy who gets over his mistakes quicker than he should.

Remember the time Jens got man of the match in a 1-0 defeat at Anfield and he refused to go out and get the award because he was so upset about losing, do we think Woj would have the same attitude? I can only guess here, but I would think not. It's not a complete lack of caring, but maybe he just needs that 4 or 5% more in the desire stakes. If he did have that real winners mentality the I think the mistakes would become less frequent.

Are you saying he's showing a great mentality here? Because in fairness we were at home to the weakest Man U side I can remember and the fans wanted a reaction after the Anfield debacle yet all we could muster was a scoreless draw. There wasn't much else he could say.

Are you saying he's showing a great mentality here? Because in fairness we were at home to the weakest Man U side I can remember and the fans wanted a reaction after the Anfield debacle yet all we could muster was a scoreless draw. There wasn't much else he could say.
    Did ya want him to go up and score a goal or something? He done his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

What the hell are you talking about, do you want him to grovel or something?

What the hell are you talking about, do you want him to grovel or something?

The point I originally made was about a very different scenario. I said Lehmann refused to collect the man of the match award after a defeat because he was too upset and I made the point that in the same situation I think Szczesny seems like the type that would go out and do the interview and collect the award. The interview that was then linked was after a drawn game where Ches had kept his clean sheet so I have no problem with him getting the award and doing the interview. I was just wondering why that video had been linked because it was a different situation to the Lehmann one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The point I originally made was about a very different scenario. I said Lehmann refused to collect the man of the match award after a defeat because he was too upset and I made the point that in the same situation I think Szczesny seems like the type that would go out and do the interview and collect the award. The interview that was then linked was after a drawn game where Ches had kept his clean sheet so I have no problem with him getting the award and doing the interview. I was just wondering why that video had been linked because it was a different situation to the Lehmann one.

Lehman was a great keeper but also a massive drama queen, most professional goalies would have accepted the award imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

keano_afc wrote: »
    Presser:

*I made that one up

Oh you bollix! I was getting so excited.

Ha ha. You utter little bollix.

This made me laugh out loud in the office.

What a little bollix. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I didn't say anything.. I just linked the video to the last time he won a man of the match award to gain a little perspective.

A little bit nonchalant
    A little bit cocky
    A little bit caring..

Why jump on the defence?

• Advertisement

Fine if you want a proper input, I'll give you one.

Footballers are human at the end of the day and it all depends what way you perceive it. Szczesny to me has as much drive as Lehmann. Just shows it in a different way.. for instance

I cant find the other video but he had an insane reaction when we went 1-0 up against Everton last season. When do keepers ever celebrate like that?

Lehmann made mistakes too and was rash but was also a superb goalkeeper.

That's what defines Szcz' passion imo. While you define Lehmanns passion as having a strop because they lost the game. Szcz' drinking his water bottle after the goal went in was the exact same reaction as the goal he conceded vs.Birmingham... it's immature but he's embarrassed.. he doesn't know how to react to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont like seeing Szc compared to the great Jens. Nowhere near his level and never will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    Dont like seeing Szc compared to the great Jens. Nowhere near his level and never will be.

That's very harsh, especially as Jens was in his 30s when he joined us and Woj is still only 24.

greendom wrote: »
    That's very harsh, especially as Jens was in his 30s when he joined us and Woj is still only 24.

He wont be in his 30's either, probably wont be here anyways. He is closer to the level of an in form Almunia. I expect to be slaughtered for that as Szc seems to be very popular in here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

He wont be in his 30's either, probably wont be here anyways. He is closer to the level of an in form Almunia. I expect to be slaughtered for that as Szc seems to be very popular in here.

Jaysus. I read that all wrong, and thought that you were saying he's going to be dead by the time he's 30. :(:(:(

The man who cost us the Champions League final for his rash decision making ! What a great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

you've no way of knowing that. Keepers improve with experience, probably much more than any other position. Jens didn't start being selected for Germany until he was 29, 10 years after Woj started playing for Poland. Of course competition is stiffer to be German no 1 but writing him off like that is in all honesty, ridiculous.

The man who cost us the Champions League final for his rash decision making ! What a great!

The man who carried us there in the first place. Easily forgotten im sure.

Fine if you want a proper input, I'll give you one.

Footballers are human at the end of the day and it all depends what way you perceive it. Szczesny to me has as much drive as Lehmann. Just shows it in a different way.. for instance

I cant find the other video but he had an insane reaction when we went 1-0 up against Everton last season. When do keepers ever celebrate like that?

Lehmann made mistakes too and was rash but was also a superb goalkeeper.

That's what defines Szcz' passion imo. While you define Lehmanns passion as having a strop because they lost the game. Szcz' drinking his water bottle after the goal went in was the exact same reaction as the goal he conceded vs.Birmingham... it's immature but he's embarrassed.. he doesn't know how to react to it...

You might be right. And mickeroo is correct too in saying Jens was a drama queen. I just think Szczesny has so much potential but isn't reaching it right now and perhaps thats because he isn't quite putting in 100%. When you compare the progress of himself to De Gea over the past couple of years there's no reason why he can't be at that level. But as I said earlier he is still young, just needs to mature a little bit over the next year or two.

The man who carried us there in the first place. Easily forgotten im sure.

Yeah you're right. I was just peeved off with that red

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement