Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Well we wouldn't know, Sanogo has been given more of a chance than Afobe when Afobe has proved that he is at the very least a decent Striker. 19 Goals in 30 games for MK Dons and a fantastic youth record.

My point is he's been sold without getting a chance, so why do we train them up to sell arguably our best prospect and keep the guys and PLAY the guys that are clearly below par.

Yaya Sanogo (same age as Afobe)

2010–2013 Auxerre 21 (11)

National team‡
    2008–2009 France U16 18(18)
    2009–2010 France U17 16(9)
    2010–2011 France U19 9(2)
    2013 France U20 10(5)
    2011– France U21 8(5)

39 goals in 61 Underage International Games

Maybe Wenger just sees more potential in Sanogo?, if it was vice-versa you'd be saying why are we selling Sanogo and playing this clown Afobe..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Benik Afobe sold to Wolves...http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150114/afobe-joins-wolverhampton-wanderers

Why build up these "Great youngsters" just to pawn them off when they begin to shine

Where was he shining exactly? Friendlies? Reserves? Youth team? Loan? Plenty of players who aren't good enough shine there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Yaya Sanogo (same age as Afobe)

2010–2013 Auxerre 21 (11)

National team‡
    2008–2009 France U16 18(18)
    2009–2010 France U17 16(9)
    2010–2011 France U19 9(2)
    2013 France U20 10(5)
    2011– France U21 8(5)

Maybe Wenger just sees more potential in Sanogo?, if it was vice-versa you'd be saying why are we selling Sanogo and playing this clown Afobe..

Obviously? Because if it was Vice-Versa Sanogo would be the better player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Benik Afobe sold to Wolves...http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150114/afobe-joins-wolverhampton-wanderers

Why build up these "Great youngsters" just to pawn them off when they begin to shine

Best of luck to him. He's scored 19 goals this season already playing for a League One side. Wolves' current top scorer only scored 13 in all comps last season while they were in league one! I hope it's a good move for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

When did I say don't give Welbeck a chance? I'm not contradicting myself your making sh1t up... there's a difference.

I said I think Welbeck has been sh1t, someone said he will come good, I said I hope so. I didn't say don't play him he doesn't deserve a chance? Lol

And Afobe has already shined.

I'm not making up...You said he's been dirt, when he has hardly played 15 games...what does that imply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Yeah but they won't be commanding close to 100K or heck even more...

Yeah but they all add up, I'd prefer to pay one solid player 70k rather then 5 players totalling the same amount!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where was he shining exactly? Friendlies? Reserves? Youth team? Plenty of players who aren't good enough shine there.

Youth Team yes, Also for MK Dons most recently. Got a brace against UTD as well. I understand that but how will we know when he was never given a chance.

I'm not making up...You said he's been dirt, when he has hardly played 15 games...what does that imply?

Em yes you are..."Don't give welbeck a chance" That is made up... He has been dirt. Hardly 15? He's played 20.
    9bred4 wrote: »
    Yeah but they all add up, I'd prefer to pay one solid player 70k rather then 5 players totalling the same amount!

Pod was on 100K I don't even wanna know what the rest are or were on, even look at Bendtner...Ridiculous money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Youth Team yes, Also for MK Dons most recently. Got a brace against UTD as well. I understand that but how will we know when he was never given a chance.

The coaching staff will have been watching him a lot more than we have.

It's a judgement call at the end of the day.

greendom wrote: »
    The coaching staff will have been watching him a lot more than we have.

It's a judgement call at the end of the day.

Aye, doesn't mean it's the right one tho. I'm disappointed to see him go when I have to watch Sanogo try to lead the line every now and then that's all.

• Advertisement

He was at the club for 14 years! I'm sure they followed his progress closely. He was loaned out 4 seasons in a row to Championship sides and couldn't cut the mustard, maybe they felt it was the right time to sell him?

40 games in the championship at 4 different clubs and scored 4 goals? What makes you think he'd be cut out for the EPL?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Aye, doesn't mean it's the right one tho. I'm disappointed to see him go when I have to watch Sanogo try to lead the line every now and then that's all.

I think injuries forced Sanogo to be given a few games, i think the plan was always to loan him out, but how can you say Afobe deserved a chance, but giving Sango a chance isnt right?

Sanogo played a decent part in the FA Cup final as well, so on that occasion the chance worked.

edit: and at that stage wasnt Afobe at MK Dons? So he wouldnt of been even available.

I imagine, if Wenger had given him a go, you'd be equally disappointed with Afobe.

He was at the club for 14 years! I'm sure they followed his progress closely. He was loaned out 4 seasons in a row to Championship sides and couldn't cut the mustard, maybe they felt it was the right time to sell him?

40 games in the championship at 4 different clubs and scored 4 goals? What makes you think he'd be cut out for the EPL?

He went on Loan age 18 to 4 different Championship sides in a row and made 40 Apps, how many starts?? Not many. The fact is he's 21 now and in fine form, If you have to ask what make's me think he'd be cut out for the EPL you obviously haven't seen him play recently.

The same attributes that make Sanogo "cut out for the EPL" except Afobe can actually hit the target and is much faster. I'm already over it tbh, just hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the arse.

no but we're not in a position to make those decisions.

BIELIK TO DECIDE ON FUTURE

Legia Warsaw have accepted a revised offer from Arsenal for teenage midfielder Krystian Bielik, according to reports in Poland.

With the clubs now in agreement over the fee, Poland-based newspaper Przeglad Sportowy reports the decision now lies with the 17-year-old as to whether he makes the switch to the Emirates.

Two clubs appear to be in the running, Arsenal and Bundesliga side Hamburg who are are also keen on signing the player following his visit to the club’s training facilities.

Bielik has also visited Arsenal's London Colney training complex where he met Arsene Wenger - an experienced reported to have had a big impression on him.

SkySports.

I think injuries forced Sanogo to be given a few games, i think the plan was always to loan him out, but how can you say Afobe deserved a chance, but giving Sango a chance isnt right?

Sanogo played a decent part in the FA Cup final as well, so on that occasion the chance worked.

edit: and at that stage wasnt Afobe at MK Dons? So he wouldnt of been even available.

I didn't say it's not right to give Sanogo a chance and I'm aware Afobe was at MK Dons, I never said he should have started over Sanogo, I'm just trying to comprehend letting Afobe go but keeping Sanogo. They are the same age and IMO Afobe is and will be the better player
    I imagine, if Wenger had given him a go, you'd be equally disappointed with Afobe.

Of course you do

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

BIELIK TO DECIDE ON FUTURE

Legia Warsaw have accepted a revised offer from Arsenal for teenage midfielder Krystian Bielik, according to reports in Poland.

With the clubs now in agreement over the fee, Poland-based newspaper Przeglad Sportowy reports the decision now lies with the 17-year-old as to whether he makes the switch to the Emirates.

Two clubs appear to be in the running, Arsenal and Bundesliga side Hamburg who are are also keen on signing the player following his visit to the club’s training facilities.

Bielik has also visited Arsenal's London Colney training complex where he met Arsene Wenger - an experienced reported to have had a big impression on him.

SkySports.

It's amazing how often a conversation with Wenger is reported to have had a large influence on the decision a player makes.

I didn't say it's not right to give Sanogo a chance and I'm aware Afobe was at MK Dons, I never said he should have started over Sanogo, I'm just trying to comprehend letting Afobe go but keeping Sanogo. They are the same age and IMO Afobe is and will be the better player

IMO i think Sanogo will be the better prospect, it will be interesting now looking at wolves and palace, seeing how they both get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Its a shame things didn't work out for Adobe or Frimpong. Could have had 3 local lads in the first team squad

• Advertisement

IMO i think Sanogo will be the better prospect, it will be interesting now looking at wolves and palace, seeing how they both get on.

Aye, can't see Sanogo getting much game time tho tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

9bred4 wrote: »

That one solid player wouldn't be free, would he? I'm sure Wenger and his team work out the economics before they sign couple a dirt cheap players compared to 1 solid signing who commands a huge wage + premium transfer fees...

And it has been, all about matching the books in 8 out of last ten 10 years.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aye, can't see Sanogo getting much game time tho tbh

Me either, a championship club would have made more sense imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Me either, a championship club would have made more sense imo.

Who is he competing with at Palace for game time though, Chamakh. I can see him getting a good few apps, even if most are 20 mins from the bench

stuchyg wrote: »
    Who is he competing with at Palace for game time though, Chamakh. I can see him getting a good few apps, even if most are 20 mins from the bench

Chamakh is pretty solid for them though, doesn't get much goals but puts himself about and works very hard.......probably why Sanogo fits the bill for them I guess. I hope he does well anyway, strikes me as a very talented player who needs a bit of confidence and time to fufil his potential rather than the inept donkey some paint him as.

Thread is coming towards it's end.

Quick request - Gavredking is not to start the next one!

Many thanks !

Many thanks !

Seconded. Nothing but bad luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Many thanks !
    Get on it Mick.

Get on it Mick.

I think Gav is going to try have me demodded before it hits the 10,000 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

stuchyg wrote: »

I know it's early days under Pardew at the moment so hard to judge who he's going to be playing upfront consistently but Gayle seems to be chomping at the bit the last couple of games and has a couple of goals also. That said they're both very different players. You've also got Campbell and Chamakh. It won't be easy but he's still bound to get more game time with Palace than he's likely to get with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Chamakh is pretty solid for them though, doesn't get much goals but puts himself about and works very hard.......probably why Sanogo fits the bill for them I guess. I hope he does well anyway, strikes me as a very talented player who needs a bit of confidence and time to fufil his potential rather than the inept donkey some paint him as.

As happened Alex Song. He was being hammered by a section of Arsenal fans for being a donkey and he came good. Ramsey as well. When will we ever learn.
    Look it is not Sanogo's fault that he was not ready when given a chance. Wenger played him too early and he suffered for it. If we had of had good backup Sanogo would not have played last season and would have gone on loan. Both Alan Pardew and Steve Bruce were highly enthuasistic about Sanogo saying they had followed him for years and that he had a lot of talent. Bruce in particular played at the highest level for years and knows what he is talking about. Pardew brought in Cisse when nobody had heard of him so lets give him a chance. He just needs game time and patience and I for one would be highly confident that he will be a player for us.

As happened Alex Song. He was being hammered by a section of Arsenal fans for being a donkey and he came good. Ramsey as well. When will we ever learn.
    Look it is not Sanogo's fault that he was not ready when given a chance. Wenger played him too early and he suffered for it. If we had of had good backup Sanogo would not have played last season and would have gone on loan. Both Alan Pardew and Steve Bruce were highly enthuasistic about Sanogo saying they had followed him for years and that he had a lot of talent. Bruce in particular played at the highest level for years and knows what he is talking about. Pardew brought in Cisse when nobody had heard of him so lets give him a chance. He just needs game time and patience and I for one would be highly confident that he will be a player for us.

Just because someone has had a bad start doesn't mean they'll come good but a few good points. I will be the first to eat my hat if he does, I 'll also be happy for him I just can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Does anybody know if ozil can speak English at all? Any club interviews I've seen him in hes been speaking german, I know he's only knew to the league but I would have thought he had some English

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if ozil can speak English at all? Any club interviews I've seen him in hes been speaking german, I know he's only knew to the league but I would have thought he had some English

He does, he's just shy and unconfident about the level of it. Even when he finally spoke some English he gets labelled by SkySports as 'strange', completely ignorant.

Nacho Monreal only had his first English speaking interview in the last couple of months, it takes time. Even Aguero cant conduct an interview

Mertesacker and Podolski had different education

6-9 months of learning English the above interviews. Not bad. I learned German for 2 years and it's about the same level he has vice-versa

EDIT:
    Sorry the first clip cuts a bit short for some reason but basically when Arteta gives him the award, the interviewer goes we understand Mesut doesn't want to talk, so there you go, embarrassed by it, he begins to speak English kind of broken with some staple sentences he probably learned 'we are happy how we played, we wanted to win we did that ' etc. and then SkySports analysis starts laughing quite ignorantly labelling him as 'strange'

• Advertisement

Anything to have a dig at him by sky sports!

Anything to have a dig at him by sky sports!

I'd like to see that Carragher c**t speak German, he can barely speak English without spitting in someones face

I'd like to see that Carragher c**t speak German, he can barely speak English without spitting in someones face

Hahahaha quality, in stitches here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Reports that we’re going to get Croatian Marcelo Brozovic from Dynamo Zagreb for 7 to 9 million euro.
    I’m reading been a first team player in Croatia since he was 17, he’s 22 now. He’s the former captain of Croatia under 21’s and made their squad for the world cup in 2014, making his debut against Australia. So he’s experienced at least.
    However he’s not a tackling DM that we’d like, he’s apparently and engine along the lines of Ramsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Diaby is arsenals longest serving player, is that currently?

• Advertisement

Yep that'd be about right, January 06. Then Walcott?

Yep that'd be about right, January 06. Then Walcott?

Rosicky is Arsenal's longest serving player I thought?

Diaby: 13 January 2006
    Walcott: 20 January 2006 (didn't appear until August though)
    Rosicky: 23 May 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Diaby is arsenals longest serving player, is that currently?

Ha ha.

Not trawling through over 10 pages today so did we sign anyone yet lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Imagine how poor his writing would be...

Özil is painfully shy also

Ha ha.

Not trawling through over 10 pages today so did we sign anyone yet lads?

Yeah we signed, Subotic,bender and Immobile, not bad but decent for January.

We sold Afobe also.

Sky pundits are chavvy for their target audiences

Wish Henry went to BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Rumours of Arsenal in for Gundogan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement