Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Debuchy also 3 months.

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

We won't see either of them again this season I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Legia Warsaw say midfielder Krystian Bielik to have medical at Arsenal tomorrow #SSNHQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Legia Warsaw say midfielder Krystian Bielik to have medical at Arsenal tomorrow #SSNHQ

We brought Coquelin back from playing in League 1 and he's doing a job. Wonder how that compares to the top flight of Polish football? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Putting a few bob on a coq red card on Sunday and finally gets found out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

With the arrival of Bieliek i can't see any other DM coming in.
    He may be good in time but he's hardly ready now at 17.
    If so it's a bad mistake from Wenger. We need someone for now.

With the arrival of Bieliek i can't see any other DM coming in.
    He may be good in time but he's hardly ready now at 17.
    If so it's a bad mistake from Wenger. We need someone for now.

With Arteta out we may go for a loan deal somewhere? Really hope we get at least one decent centre back in before month's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Raf32 wrote: »
    Putting a few bob on a coq red card on Sunday and finally gets found out :pac:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I was talking to the mrs last night about Wenger and I was getting a little exasperated when I had a thought about the man.
    The basic gist of what I was complaining about to her was “why is he buying a 17 year old DM when he could, should, go out for an established player? We’ve got the money, Arsene is on his last contract (probably) with
    The club, so if he wants to win a league or a CL why doesn’t he push out the boat and do a deal now for whatever the cost and get in the couple of players we need to challenge?”
    Then it hit me.
    Wenger – for all his faults – is a manager who always, always, thinks of the future of Arsenal Football Club.
    Fergie went and bought Van Persie to get him a last title, and he left a team in need of a rebuild.
    Wenger is still planning for after he’s gone from Arsenal.
    I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again – the person who will benefit most from Wengers time at the club is the next guy to get the job.
    Even though Wenger drives me up the wall sometimes, he’s still an absolute legend of the club, and I’ll always be grateful to him.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I was talking to the mrs last night about Wenger and I was getting a little exasperated when I had a thought about the man.
    The basic gist of what I was complaining about to her was “why is he buying a 17 year old DM when he could, should, go out for an established player? We’ve got the money, Arsene is on his last contract (probably) with
    The club, so if he wants to win a league or a CL why doesn’t he push out the boat and do a deal now for whatever the cost and get in the couple of players we need to challenge?”
    Then it hit me.
    Wenger – for all his faults – is a manager who always, always, thinks of the future of Arsenal Football Club.
    Fergie went and bought Van Persie to get him a last title, and he left a team in need of a rebuild.
    I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again – the person who will benefit most from Wengers time at the club is the next guy to get the job.
    Even though Wenger drives me up the wall sometimes, he’s still an absolute legend of the club, and I’ll always be grateful to him.

I agree, but for all the undeniable heart that is put into the club by Wenger, he has to think methodologically sometimes

He may care about the future of the club, but the players don't, if this Bielik fella is world class in 2 years (not saying he will be but just for arguments sake), him, Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey will probably jump ship just out of impatience..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well that’s true and its happened before, it’s another of Wengers irritating foibles is that he has his philosophy and he won’t change.
    But on the other hand you can totally respect someone who has the vision and sticks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

It's so depressing, Debuchy and Arteta basically out for the season. :(

Well that’s true and its happened before, it’s another of Wengers irritating foibles is that he has his philosophy and he won’t change.
    But on the other hand you can totally respect someone who has the vision and sticks to it.

Agreed

Then it hit me.

He must have a long term future in mind then as we won no titles in 10 years.
    So what way was he thinking since 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He must have a long term future in mind then as we won no titles in 10 years.
    So what way was he thinking since 2004?

LDfRlMj.jpg?1

Maybe he should have been an engineer.
    Managers should concentrate on the football, engineers on the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its gotten grim in here again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

AdamD wrote: »
    Its gotten grim in here again

Half way through January and no CB or DM in coupled with the injury news for Arteta and Debuchy. Imagine what a humiliation against City will do :pac:

Maybe he should have been an engineer.
    Managers should concentrate on the football, engineers on the building.

It is his ability as a football manager that enabled the Emirates to be built while the club stayed relatively competitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its alright lads Hummels and Gundogan are on the way

Raf32 wrote: »
    Half way through January and no CB or DM in coupled with the injury news for Arteta and Debuchy. Imagine what a humiliation against City will do :pac:

But we have a grand stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

greendom wrote: »
    It is his ability as a football manager that enabled the Emirates to be built while the club stayed relatively competitive

We have a great manager who has brought us massive success in the last few years, let's use his fantastic ability to neglect our competitiveness and focus on building a brand new stadium?

Never quite understood it to be honest, I'd prefer Highbury to the Emirates any day of the week, and a great focused,inspired,intelligent manager to the Wenger we've had of late.

is this from a day dream, or based in fact (or even hearsay/twittersay)?

We WON Top 4 ok.
    FA Cup too I'll give him that.

I'd prefer to be league champions though. I often wonder how many we'd have won since 2004 if he'd concentrated on the football alone and left the building to the engineers and the finances to the accountants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

is this from a day dream, or based in fact (or even hearsay/twittersay)?

Bit of both really.....Better than the depresssing nature of the thread at the moment though

• Advertisement

Bit of both really.....Better than the depresssing nature of the thread at the moment though

Yes making up stories is much better than talking about reality...

We have a great manager who has brought us massive success in the last few years, let's use his fantastic ability to neglect our competitiveness and focus on building a brand new stadium?

Never quite understood it to be honest, I'd prefer Highbury to the Emirates any day of the week, and a great focused,inspired,intelligent manager to the Wenger we've had of late.
    We WON Top 4 ok.
    FA Cup too I'll give him that.

I'd prefer to be league champions though. I often wonder how many we'd have won since 2004 if he'd concentrated on the football alone and left the building to the engineers and the finances to the accountants.

Honestly are ye really that clueless?

How exactly do you think we'd get the money to remain competitive if we didn't move stadium?

How exactly do you think we'd get the money to remain competitive if we didn't move stadium?

Clueless ??
    By YOUR way of thinking we won nothing beforehand.
    I remember winning loads while we were at Highbury.
    We have won F*** all since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Must.not.read.

Clueless ??
    By YOUR way of thinking we won nothing beforehand.
    I remember winning loads while we were at Highbury.
    We have won F*** all since.

Abramovich happened since. City's oil money happened since. If we were still in Highbury we'd be even further back than we are

• Advertisement

From winning competitions, sponsors, advertisements, tickets etc. Money to remain competitive I'm sorry but we didn't remain competitive and apparently we had no money because it was all spent on the stadium...

No I'm not clueless I understand it's a long term investment that you don't immediately wreak the benefits from but surely knowing the implications we could have waited a few more years until we were in a better position to do so.

Abramovich happened since. City's oil money happened since. If we were still in Highbury we'd be even further back than we are

Not a hope...We might even have a CL title to our name...

So now Kronke can take his 3 million more frequently.
    Don't worry we'll still win fourth.

Not a hope...We might even have a CL title to our name...

Perhaps, we'll never know, but the club would not now be equipped to compete well into the future

Relax dude. He is only saying what the majority off us are thinking, we have been buying potential the last 10 years and its not working. Now is the time to push on and buy the best players out there, do you think Sanchez and Ozil are going to stick around for the likes of this young Polish lad to develop and maybe become a first team regular, not a chance and you cant blame them.

Perhaps, but the club would not now be equipped to compete well into the future

Konke will be more able to build his big stadium in the U.S. too.

Abramovich happened since. City's oil money happened

That shouldnt mean we dont address our glaringly obvious weakness's in our squad. How long is it now we have been short at the back and how long is it since we brought in a proper defensive midfielder?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Relax dude. He is only saying what the majority off us are thinking, we have been buying potential the last 10 years and its not working. Now is the time to push on and buy the best players out there, do you think Sanchez and Ozil are going to stick around for the likes of this young Polish lad to develop and maybe become a first team regular, not a chance and you cant blame them.

There are plenty of perfectly valid criticisms to level at the club and Wenger, such as what you say there of not adequately buying players to balance the squad when we have the means to do so. But this nonsense of completely ignoring issues to constantly push the same agenda is very frustrating.

Do you think we'd have Ozil and Sanchez if we didn't make the move? I'm not sure we would. And sure we could have waited a couple more years...and then a couple more... and so on.... But we had to do it at some point.

That shouldnt mean we dont address our glaringly obvious weakness's in our squad. How long is it now we have been short at the back and how long is it since we brought in a proper defensive midfielder?

mañana

There are plenty of perfectly valid criticisms to level at the club and Wenger, such as what you say there of not adequately buying players to balance the squad when we have the means to do so. But this nonsense of completely ignoring issues to constantly push the same agenda is very frustrating.

Do you think we'd have Ozil and Sanchez if we didn't make the move? I'm not sure we would. And sure we could have waited a couple more years...and then a couple more... and so on.... But we had to do it at some point.

Yes because Highbury just could not attract top quality players :rolleyes:

The only agenda in here I ever see are people blindly supporting their Manager and ignoring all of his faults with the believe that we'll eventually come good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

oWVPPXF.gif

Yes because Highbury just could not attract top quality players :rolleyes:

The only agenda in here I ever see are people blindly supporting their Manager and ignoring all of his faults with the believe that we'll eventually come good.

you need to look again

But doesnt it make it all the more frustrating that he is signing these world class players in offensive positions and neglecting other areas of the team. 2 years in a row now we have had to deploy full backs at centre back, its just not good enough. He sold Vermaelan in the summer, fair enough he brought in Chambers and Debuchy but then he lets Jenkinson go on loan, its absolutely baffling stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Kronke will be more able to build his big stadium in the U.S. too.

I can't trust him one bit, I think he maybe a bigger problem regardless of manager

But doesnt it make it all the more frustrating that he is signing these world class players in offensive positions and neglecting other areas of the team. 2 years in a row now we have had to deploy full backs at centre back, its just not good enough. He sold Vermaelan in the summer, fair enough he brought in Chambers and Debuchy but then he lets Jenkinson go on loan, its absolutely baffling stuff altogether.

Where have I said otherwise?

I said all summer about how we needed a CB and DM and think it was an absolute travesty that he didn't at leat replace TV. I also think AW should have left after the FA cup win when his contract finished.

Why does everything always have to be completely based around camps and why can't I say something in support of Wenger without being labeled one way or the other?

Soups123 wrote: »
    I can't trust him one bit, I think he maybe a bigger problem regardless of manager

I think he'll bleed us dry and leave Wenger out on a limb.
    This guy is a businessman and just uses sport to create profits which he uses to make even more profits. Sport is just the tool he uses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

AW has shown signs in the last few windows that he is capable of signing big players. But it means nothing if we stand still.

He needs to spend big in the positions we need - to kickstart the team.

It's about time AW investigated what happens when you spend your money. Not some of it, most of it. We have deals in place to keep annual profits healthy

Where have I said otherwise?

I said all summer about how we needed a CB and DM and think it was an absolute travesty that he didn't at leat replace TV. I also think AW should have left after the FA cup win when his contract finished.

Why does everything always have to be completely based around camps and why can't I say something in support of Wenger without being labeled one way or the other?

My apologies. I support Wenger myself but he does himself no favours when it comes to strengthening the team. It wouldnt kill me to finish 3rd or 4th under Wenger if I knew he did try his best and bought players in positions we were short.

Its the different opinions that make this thread interesting.
    It would be a boring place if everyone saw things in the same way.
    BUT having said that if people think that the team is anywhere near complete and that Wenger has not neglected certain areas of the team then I will agree to differ.
    We have money so the problem areas should be fixed. The homework should have been done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm sure Wenger is worried what some boards posters in a different county think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement