Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

3 things p1ss me off about arsenal these days.

1. David Dein was never replaced
    2. Wenger is on 7.5M a year
    3. Ticket prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He truly should be on more, agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »
    I'm sure Wenger is worried what some boards posters in a different county think

But we're not just posters, we're fans and the club would be nothing without the fans. It's a pity they continue to ignore that fact.

But we're not just posters, we're fans and the club would be nothing without the fans. It's a pity they continue to ignore that fact.

They season ticket waiting list is very full I'm sure they will cope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

2 things

1: fans will never all be happy and will always know more, especially during transfer window. I remember half this thread going nuts we didn't try to sign Soldado ahead of Spurs.

2: there's no point in talking about ambition or competitiveness with all of these injuries. No one will ever know how good we could have been this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He must have a long term future in mind then as we won no titles in 10 years.
    So what way was he thinking since 2004?

That's a very trite response.
    When the Emirates plan was laid we needed it built to keep up with united. And it was completely the right course of action to take. Even more so with the Chelsea and city transformations.

I don't even know what point you're making, it just comes across like a spoiled brat comment.

I think he'll bleed us dry and leave Wenger out on a limb.
    This guy is a businessman and just uses sport to create profits which he uses to make even more profits. Sport is just the tool he uses.

Well on this we're in full agreement.

I detest kronke

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    3 things p1ss me off about arsenal these days.

1. David Dein was never replaced
    2. Wenger is on 7.5M a year
    3. Ticket prices

Agreed, we badly miss Dein. He works so well with wenger. I don't think wenger would be the autocrat he is if Dein was still involved.

He's worth the wages from the owners point of view. Can you see that?

Prices are expensive but I only get to go a couple of times a season so I can live with that. If I lived in London I'd be more upset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bad2dabone wrote: »
    That's a very trite response.
    When the Emirates plan was laid we needed it built to keep up with united. And it was completely the right course of action to take. Even more so with the Chelsea and city transformations.

I don't even know what point you're making, it just comes across like a spoiled brat comment.

We cannot state the building of the Emirates to be a continuous excuse for failing to fix the problems at the club.
    We have had money for several years now after the Emirates build.
    Wenger is a manager who was successful even when we had little money but who for me has become part of the problem by now refusing to spend to fix glaring and obvious needs.
    For lads to post comments calling others childish or a spoiled brat is very poor. If you don't agree with what I have to say then attack the post and not the poster.
    I like Wenger and don't care who manages the team as long as he's doing his best. For me Wenger is not so I won't jump on a bandwagon of praise.

Wenger is not doing his best??? Lol

• Advertisement

I'm a bit like yer man on that t.v. quiz programme "say what you see". lol

While he had made mistakes, on Wenger's side I'm gonna list the clubs that would have been able to sign Ozil and Sanchez(and whatever world class player we sign this summer).

Madrid
    Barca
    PSG
    Monaco
    Bayern
    Chelsea
    Man U
    Arsenal

All the traditional elite guard with a history of european success.

Then you've the bankrolled clubs.

And Arsenal.

What Wenger has done will forever set us apart from clubs like Liverpool, unless they manage to do likewise. And doing it now while remaining competitive is a tough tough prospect for a club that can't stay in the CL spaces.

Dortmund are now in danger of disappearing back into the pack and going down as an anomaly. Klopp needs to win to maintain it. And no-one can fight the odds all the time. The same will happen Atletico.

We've a certain amount of immunity.

All this said it might have been easier to just let some dodgy billionaire pump money into the club.

We cannot state the building of the Emirates to be a continuous excuse for failing to fix the problems at the club.
    Wenger is a manager who was successful even when we had little money but who for me has become part of the problem by now refusing to spend to fix glaring and obvious needs.
    For lads to post comments calling others childish or a spoiled brat is very poor. If you don't agree with what I have to say then attack the post and not the poster.
    I like Wenger and don't care who manages the team as long as he's doing his best. For me Wenger is not so I won't jump on a bandwagon of praise.

I did attack the post, it was a trite childish spoiled brat post.
    If you'd posted like above initially we wouldn't have had an issue.

I did attack the post, it was a trite childish spoiled brat post.
    If you'd posted like above initially we wouldn't have had an issue.

No it wasn't.
    Maybe you were looking for thanks from others :pac:

Then explain why we were actually 1 less defender (in terms of experience) then last season? Jenks, Sagna and Vermaelen left (albeit Jenks on loan) while only Debuchy and Chambers came in (And Chambers is a relative rookie).

Its an scandalous situation which Wenger has overseen just as he overseen the farcial Kim Kallstrom signing last February (despite him being injured).

You cant defend the undefensable (pardon my pun). Surely he allowed for injuries given our absymal record? Its incompetent mismanagement. No other manager would get away with what he has got away with. He had a perfect opportunity to build on last season after buying Sanchez but ruined it all with the usual nonsense in terms of his reluctance to recognise the obvious issues.

No it wasn't.
    Maybe you were looking for thanks from others :pac:

I couldn't give a **** about thankses Tayto.

Let's move on, we've different opinions on the past ten years.

As I said, I think wenger will leave arsenal in good shape for the future. And I am thankful for that.

Is Chambers the most expensive defender we've ever purchased?

Debuchy second then?

Ozil most expensive player. Sanchez second.

Wenger is spending. He's just not doing exactly what people want.

But as I keep saying, there's little point.

We have an outstanding squad, as close to complete as since the invincibles (even then our backup was poor). And it's getting closer to complete every year. This year though it doesn't matter because we have so few fit players.

People see that and say 'we should have completed the squad in the last window'. But we don't know how necessary that would have been without all these injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gosplan wrote: »
    Is Chambers the most expensive defender we've ever purchased?

Debuchy second then?

Ozil most expensive player. Sanchez second.

Wenger is spending. He's just not doing exactly what people want.

But as I keep saying, there's little point.

We have an outstanding squad, as close to complete as since the invincibles (even then our backup was poor). And it's getting closer to complete every year. This year though it doesn't matter because we have so few fit players.

People see that and say 'we should have completed the squad in the last window'. But we don't know how necessary that would have been without all these injuries.
    We have 6 senior defenders starting the season for us. How can you claim that we have an outstanding squad?

I couldn't give a **** about thankses Tayto.

Let's move on, we've different opinions on the past ten years.

As I said, I think wenger will leave arsenal in good shape for the future. And I am thankful for that.

:confused:

And what does he have to be thankful for exactly?

Defeats such as
    8-2 v Man United
    5-1 v Liverpool
    6-0 v Chelsea

or 1 trophy since 2005?
    Leaving us continously short where its neccessary to spend?
    Naive tactics that have led to us being canon fodder for the bigger teams?

Face facts, the success years with Wenger are long dead now. We wont see them again. We may see the odd flirtation with leading the table here and there but when it comes to the crunch it will be the same disappointment each time. As long as he remains at the club we sure as hell wont be reaching for any stars. There'll be the odd ray of hope like Sanchez but in the great scheme of things a near miss like 2008 will be the closest we'll come to winning the league and we probably wont even get near that with him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    We have 6 senior defenders starting the season for us. How can you claim that we have an outstanding squad?

7 by my count.

Debuchy, Bellerin, Chambers, Mert, Kos, Monreal, Gibbs.

Chelsea started the season with 8.

Wenger started the season with a gamble and it backfired.

Doesn't mean you can't say the squad is nearly complete.

• Advertisement

7 by my count.

Doesn't mean you can't say the squad is nearly complete

Boll0cksology really. He should start acting like a manager for a change.

7 by my count.

Doesn't mean you can't say the squad is nearly complete.

To count a defender who only ever made one senior appearance for the club in league cup game as a senior defender says it all about your statement.

I'm thankful that we're emerging from this period with a bright future and the nucleus of a good squad, a healthy financial situation and the largest capital outlay behind us.

Personally I agree that wengers best years are behind him, in an ideal world he should have hung up his cap after the fa cup win.

But he didn't and the owner is happy with the status quo, even though the fans want change.
    We just have to get on with it in the meantime.

When wenger leaves I'll be sad, and excited for the future anyway

To count a defender who only ever made one senior appearance for the club in league cup game as a senior defender says it all about your statement.

OK, discount Bellerin.

Also discount Christensen from Chelsea's squad.

So more or less the difference between the two defences at the start of the season was Nathan Ake (10 apps - most from bench)

Can you call their squad outstanding but ours not on the basis of him?

Genuine question, please answer.

Mad that we only used 7 defenders in the invincibles era (league appearances in brackets)
    Toure 53 (36)
    Campbell 50 (35)
    Cole 47 (32)
    Lauren 45 (30)
    Cygan 15 (10)
    Clichy 14 (7)
    Keown 8 (3)

Imagine what our defence would be like if the back four could play 133 league games out of the 152 available? 87.5% of all league games!

Mad that we only used 7 defenders in the invincibles era (league appearances in brackets)
    Toure 53 (36)
    Campbell 50 (35)
    Cole 47 (32)
    Lauren 45 (30)
    Cygan 15 (10)
    Clichy 14 (7)
    Keown 8 (3)

Imagine what our defence would be like if the back four could play 133 league games out of the 152 available? 87.5% of all league games!

He should have started acting like a manager back then.

OK, discount Bellerin.

Also discount Christensen from Chelsea's squad.

So more or less the difference between the two defences at the start of the season was Nathan Ake (10 apps - most from bench)

Can you call their squad outstanding but ours not on the basis of him?

Genuine question, please answer.

Genuine answer I don't think Chelsea are over abundant with defensive cover either, and it may come back to haunt them. I'm not denying the biggest issue this year has been injuries, but everyone could see we needed more defensive additions. Lets not forget that one of the defenders who we started the season with was a WC winner who returned late, and has looked off the pace (moreso than normal) ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Genuine answer I don't think Chelsea are over abundant with defensive cover either, and it may come back to haunt them. I'm not denying the biggest issue this year has been injuries, but everyone could see we needed more defensive additions. Lets not forget that one of the defenders who we started the season with was a WC winner who returned late, and has looked off the pace (moreso than normal) ever since.

While the other was carrying a serious injury and needed to be rotated around.

He should have started acting like a manager back then.

Trying to remember if people were freaked out about only having 7 defenders back then...

• Advertisement

Just did some research there,

If you take the first 10 outfield players from each team and total what amount of the 21 league games this season each player from that first 10 has started.

Chelsea have 190/210

So the best player in position 90% of the time

Arsenal have 103/210

So the best player in position 49% of the time

That means we're relying on our second/third string half the time.

Chelsea are looking to their second string 10% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Trying to remember if people were freaked out about only having 7 defenders back then...

Pretty sure we had 8 back then which is what is needed. 2 players for each position. We have 3 centre halfs, 2 left backs, and 2 right backs now so we are still short 1. I think a defensive midfielder is needed more than anything to protect our back 4.

You can't really compare us to Chelsea though. Unlike Arsenal, half of their defenders aren't crocks who are regularly injured. When was the last time Terry or Cahill missed a match through injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You can't really compare us to Chelsea though. Unlike Arsenal, half of their defenders aren't crocks who are regularly injured. When was the last time Terry or Cahill missed a match through injury?

And when a Chelsea player does get injured, they do seem to recover incredibly quickly!

greendom wrote: »
    And when a Chelsea player does get injured, they do seem to recover incredibly quickly!

True. Think Azpi is out for 3-4 weeks now and that's what it will be whereas with us, 3 weeks turns into 6 weeks which then turns into 3 months.

greendom wrote: »

The key word is "incredibly "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

True. Think Azpi is out for 3-4 weeks now and that's what it will be whereas with us, 3 weeks turns into 6 weeks which then turns into 3 months.

Look at Costa, there was a time there earlier in the season when Costa was 50/50 to play week after week. He always seemed to play in the end though.

And as you say their players always seem to come back ahead of schedule. I want some of what they're taking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's only out for 10 days :pac:

Boll0cksology really. He should start acting like a manager for a change.

Now that's bollöxology - show us your medals!

Most successful Arsenal manager ever

You're starting to sound like Liverpool fans with your constant living in the past.

Do you not see some of the mans faults? 2 seasons now we have had to play full backs at centre back.

• Advertisement

It's impossible to ignore that he's got some major flaws.
    Leaving the squad short in defence has probably fudged our season this year.
    But I'll forgive getting a DM this window if it means we sort it with a proper player in the summer.

But we need a body at centre back. No excuses.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Pretty sure we had 8 back then which is what is needed. 2 players for each position. We have 3 centre halfs, 2 left backs, and 2 right backs now so we are still short 1. I think a defensive midfielder is needed more than anything to protect our back 4.

Who did I leave out?

Keown had the lowest apps with 3...

Who did I leave out?

Keown had the lowest apps with 3...

Senderos? I could be wrong but pretty sure he was in the first team squad?

:confused: Show us yours?

Your living 1 decade ago. Totally totally irrelevant to the problems we face today. Back in Wengers hey dey we had the famous back five plus Seaman, (and Jens to a certain degree) Sol Campbell, Vieira, Petit, Pires, Ljungberg, Henry, Bergkamp...leaders all over the field.

You couldnt compare the current crop apart from maybe Sanchez to that lot. Wenger cant use the excuse that leaders are hard to come by when City, Chelsea and United all managed perfectly to find enough to win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Regarding the fitness issue I honestly wonder how much doping goes on in clubs. Wenger certainly isn't the type that would allow it, but these other clubs, with the amount of pressure on their constantly changing managers and the amount of money poured in by the wealthy owners who almost definitely have certain expectations they need to be met, I think there's a legitimate question there. I'm not just talking Premiership, teams like Barca and Real who regularly compete in 4 competitions with what seem to be, by my casual observation, a fraction of injuries most normal teams have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

This thread has really gone to sh1t3.

I think the biggest problem with Arsenal's poor performances this season, has been the incredible, and unpredictable injury record. I also think we can all agree on this ( at least most will anyway).

This consistent Wenger bashing is tiresome. And if I may say, putting me off coming in here.

It's childish whinging imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Jaafa wrote: »
    Regarding the fitness issue I honestly wonder how much doping goes on in clubs. Wenger certainly isn't the type that would allow it, but these other clubs, with the amount of pressure on their constantly changing managers and the amount of money poured in by the wealthy owners who almost definitely have certain expectations they need to be met, I think there's a legitimate question there. I'm not just talking Premiership, teams like Barca and Real who regularly compete in 4 competitions with what seem to be, by my casual observation, a fraction of injuries most normal teams have.

It had crossed my mind I must say. Though you very rarely hear of doping allegations in this sport, unlike most other top end sports where allegations are flung around like rag dolls.

You're starting to sound like Liverpool fans with your constant living in the past.

2 trophies in the last 2 years, how many years in the qualifying stages of the ucl

emmetlego wrote: »

I think the biggest problem with Arsenal's poor performances this season, has been the incredible, and unpredictable injury record.

Unpredictable?! It happens every season, it'd be more of a surprise if it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement