Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

emmetlego wrote: »
    It had crossed my mind I must say. Though you very rarely hear of doping allegations in this sport, unlike most other top end sports where allegations are flung around like rag dolls.

Money keeps a lid on it

Unpredictable?! It happens every season, it'd be more of a surprise if it didn't happen.

What's your solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This thread has really gone to sh1t3.

I think the biggest problem with Arsenal's poor performances this season, has been the incredible, and unpredictable injury record. I also think we can all agree on this ( at least most will anyway).

This consistent Wenger bashing is tiresome. And if I may say, putting me off coming in here.

You're nearly correct, except it was predicted by many as it's happened so many times before to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Unpredictable?! It happens every season, it'd be more of a surprise if it didn't happen.

^^^ This ^^^

No, it has been much much worse this season. Stop paraphrasing what I said.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Do you not see some of the mans faults? 2 seasons now we have had to play full backs at centre back.

His positives far outweigh the negatives

Quazzie wrote: »
    You're nearly correct, except it was predicted by many as it's happened so many times before to us.

But not to this extent. Ever before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »
    1 trophy in the last 10 years, how many years in the qualifying stages of the ucl

Fixed your post, the once off mickey mouse game also known as the Community Shield doesn't count as a real trophy.

It's childish whinging imho

its called a difference of opinion. Your entitled to yours (although you have some mental fortitude to have such loyalty for the last ten years of absolute mediocrity tbh). God be with the days when football managers used put their best foot forward in order to win football matches.

2 trophies in the last 2 years, how many years in the qualifying stages of the ucl

Counting charity shields as a trophy is pathetic to be honest.

Qualifying for the CL isn't an achievement it's the minimum required.

• Advertisement

What's your solution?

I'm not paid £7.5m a year to find a solution, Wenger is.

Most players would get injured if they were shoved into an advertising hoarding. But other teams get protected

2 trophies in the last 2 years, how many years in the qualifying stages of the ucl

If your not in it to win it then no point really and as long as he runs our club id somehow doubt we'll be hell bent on winning it.

I'm not paid £7.5m a year to find a solution, Wenger is.

If you come up with one might

If your not in it to win it then no point really and as long as he runs our club id somehow doubt we'll be hell bent on winning it.

Really so 31 teams are wasting their time. Athletico go home you losers

Fixed your post, the once off mickey mouse game also known as the Community Shield doesn't count as a real trophy.

Should we throw in the carling cup

• Advertisement

Realistically though 31 teams aren't in it to win it. About 4-6 are. The rest are just there for the payday.

Ya don't get to take £3M home with ye if your club isn't competing in the CL

Counting charity shields as a trophy is pathetic to be honest.

Qualifying for the CL isn't an achievement it's the minimum required.

Only 4 teams in the entire English League qualify

Not my point and Athletico who had a smaller wage bill then QPR last season are prime example of what im talking about. See the ambition they have shown on such a small budget? At least they died in their boots when they did die and none of this flinging in the towel like Wengers new sides are known for.

Realistically though 31 teams aren't in it to win it. About 4-6 are. The rest are just there for the payday.

Ya don't get to take £3M home with ye if your club isn't competing in the CL

Apparently it's win or go home here

Not my point and Athletico who had a smaller wage bill then QPR last season are prime example of what im talking about. See the ambition they have shown on such a small budget? At least they died in their boots when they did die and none of this flinging in the towel like Wengers new sides are known for.

You don't get trophies for effort outside of primary school

• Advertisement

Only 4 teams in the entire English League qualify

Of which we have the 4th biggest budget.

Like I said. Minimum required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This consistent Wenger bashing is tiresome. And if I may say, putting me off coming in here.

As I have said I am Wengers biggest fan. Love the man and want to see him succeed. But he deserves some of the criticism he gets.

What do you want us to do? Should we all come in and praise him even when he fails to sort out our deficiencies in the team? The last few seasons we have been left short in certain positions and it is killing us. We are 2 top players away from having a huge chance of winning our first European cup.

If we had a smaller wage bill would you readjust your expectations?

Of which we have the 4th biggest budget.

Like I said. Minimum required.

4th? Liverpool Man City Chelsea United were 5th

Apparently it's win or go home here

Your the one who is being black and white now. What we are suggesting is to put your best foot forward and give yourself the best chance of winning. You know like actually go down fighting.

For example, dont buy players who are crocked like Kallstrom even though we needed lads to come straight into the squad. Or also, buy a centre half when you have let go of three defenders and are thin on the ground.

At this stage, we could probably just have two threads. One for those who are happy to scrape 4th every year and qualify for a competition we have no chance of winning. And a second for those who want to see ambition, better squad management and a genuine title challenge every year.

You don't get trophies for effort outside of primary school

So long as we're trying our hardest to win a trophy i dont care but i couldnt say for one second that Arsenal have been trying to do this in a long time. Its this nonsense of making the obtaining of 4th place as much of an obstacle as possible that i cant understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

One thing that really drives me insane is this constant comparison to the best manager at the moment.

It was Klopp but now it's Simeone.

Wenger hasn't done as well as those two in the last few seasons. That's fair enough.

But Dortmund and Atletico are selling clubs. This will just be a purple patch for both of them.

We're no longer a selling club.

That's a really big thing.

4th? Liverpool Man City Chelsea United were 5th

That's only this year. We've always been fourth before now.

Now that we're fifth, maybe that's where we'll end up.

gosplan wrote: »
    One thing that really drives me insane is this constant comparison to the best manager at the moment.

Wenger hasn't done as well as those two in the last few seasons. That's fair enough.

But Dortmund and Atletico are selling clubs. This will just be a purple patch for both of them.

That's a really big thing

Atletico are current la liga champions and came 1 minute from achieving a double. Dortmund have won a few of German titles against the muscle of Bayerns financial power. Im not suggesting who should take the Arsenal job, but i question as to what the hell is wrong with our current manager? Some of his decsion making has been off the scale crazy the last few years.

As for this 'no longer a selling club', all well and good but when are we going to start beating the big teams regularly again and stop losing to them in such pathetic fashion? Really no point in buying Sanchez if you are still going to be naive and mediocre in other areas. It would seem that the Arsenal fans are at the mercy of Wengers ideals. All very noble and all but all fans care about is winning at the end of the day. If you die trying then fair enough but i cant say that even in these flusher times, that Arsene Wenger is addressing the issues at hand.

• Advertisement

At this stage, we could probably just have two threads. One for those who are happy to scrape 4th every year and qualify for a competition we have no chance of winning. And a second for those who want to see ambition, better squad management and a genuine title challenge every year.

Awful post.

We agree with you or we lack ambition, right?

Awful post.

Do you believe it is in Wenger to win another league, or indeed even the Champions League?

When we inevitably get another hiding on Sunday, what will be the excuse be this time? Injuries? Lack of mental strength/confidence? Bla bla bla. I'm fed up of dreading these big games rather than looking forward to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

To be honest you can fluke a champions league like Rafa and Di Matteo but winning the league is a sign of a real top manager imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

So what exactly does this prove about Wenger, I don't understand?

Awful post.

And as an Arsene supporter could you tell me what has he shown to display any sign of burning ambition apart from signing Sanchez who will probably never win anything at Arsenal ?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    As I have said I am Wengers biggest fan. Love the man and want to see him succeed. But he deserves some of the criticism he gets.

What do you want us to do? Should we all come in and praise him even when he fails to sort out our deficiencies in the team? The last few seasons we have been left short in certain positions and it is killing us. We are 2 top players away from having a huge chance of winning our first European cup.

^ This I agree with ^

I am a huge fan (Duh - obviously!), and your reasoned post above is a great part of an intelligent discussion. What really grinds my gears, is the blaming of absolutely everything that happens with Arsenal FC on Wenger. It's not his fault we are hugely and incredibly unlucky with injuries at important junctures (ala Theo last year when we were flying) and nearly everyone this year.

The other thing that I cannot accept, is the unwillingness to accept that without the stadium development, we would be a mid table or Spurs-like team. No ECL nights or sporadic league challenges. Wenger had to make the change over to Emirates, or we were on the financial scrap heap in modern football terms… Sadly for us, the oil tycoons and Oligarchs had other ideas!!! As a club, we had to make sacrifices. If you can't see that, then you are blinded by your bias.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    So what exactly does this prove about Wenger, I don't understand?

1: saying Wenger out and assuming that we'll get Simeone's Atletico is not realistic

2: he's done something huge with Arsenal that no one else has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

1: saying Wenger out and assuming that we'll get Simeone's Atletico is not realistic

2: he's done something huge with Arsenal that no one else has

Oh right.

All I took from it was they have both done well considering their clubs are selling clubs, yet Wenger has not during the period of arsenal been a selling club.

• Advertisement

Died with their boots on reminds me of the bs the Brits spout on about WW1 - men dying for an unjust war. Dying with their boots on for a worthless cause

Awful post.

I just don't see how you can equate supporting Wenger with being ambitious though? He has shown signs of ambition with the Ozil and Sanchez signings but then he goes and negates that good work by failing to manage the squad properly and continuing to rely on mediocre players who belong at mid table clubs.

Your the one who is being black and white now. What we are suggesting is to put your best foot forward and give yourself the best chance of winning. You know like actually go down fighting.

For example, dont buy players who are crocked like Kallstrom even though we needed lads to come straight into the squad. Or also, buy a centre half when you have let go of three defenders and are thin on the ground.

Verm wanted to leave and want great prior. Cole and Happy feet chased money

When we inevitably get another hiding on Sunday, what will be the excuse be this time? Injuries? Lack of mental strength/confidence? Bla bla bla. I'm fed up of dreading these big games rather than looking forward to them.

Am I the only one who breeds a sigh of relief when it goes past the 20 minute mark and we havent conceded away from home against the likes of City, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool :pac:

That's only this year. We've always been fourth before now.

Now that we're fifth, maybe that's where we'll end up.

No were weren't 4th discharge for along time esp while building the Emerites

I just don't see how you can equate supporting Wenger with being ambitious though? He has shown signs of ambition with the Ozil and Sanchez signings but then he goes and negates that good work by failing to manage the squad properly and continuing to rely on mediocre players who belong at mid table clubs.

As I have said before, its like having 2 holes in a boat and only plugging 1. You will still eventually sink.

• Advertisement

That's not a loaded post. One for realists and one for glory hunters perhaps

Do you believe it is in Wenger to win another league, or indeed even the Champions League?

League, yes. Though it depends on how other teams perform.

We had our first team (without Sanchez) on the pitch up to Christmas last season and were top for ages, then injuries hit. I think we're heading towards a more complete squad that will be able to deal with injuries on the scale of last season. No team could cope with what happened this year though.

CL is a lottery. Unless you are really the best team in Europe, I think you can do is put yourself in the later rounds and hope for a break.

Would yes be happy with klop if ye were Dortmund supporters? Fickle fans

That's not a loaded post. One for realists and one for glory hunters perhaps

So I'm a glory hunter for wanting a title challenge ha ha :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Which of Dante's circles of hell are we in now ?

I think this thread will eat itself

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement