Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's only this year. We've always been fourth before now.

Now that we're fifth, maybe that's where we'll end up.

When we're the 4th richest club?

So I'm a glory hunter for wanting a title challenge ha ha :pac:

Titles = glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

greendom wrote: »
    Which of Dante's circles of hell are we in now ?

I think this thread will eat itself

Abandon all hope ye who enter here :pac:

Not my point and Athletico who had a smaller wage bill then QPR last season are prime example of what im talking about. See the ambition they have shown on such a small budget? At least they died in their boots when they did die and none of this flinging in the towel like Wengers new sides are known for.

Harry is QPRs manager he buys and sells players for the commission

Abandon all hope ye who enter here :pac:

Or be more realistic

efb wrote: »
    Titles = glory

So you don't want titles then?

So you don't want titles then?

I don't need titles to support arsenal, they only won 5 in my lifetime, 3 were Wengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I just don't see how you can equate supporting Wenger with being ambitious though? He has shown signs of ambition with the Ozil and Sanchez signings but then he goes and negates that good work by failing to manage the squad properly and continuing to rely on mediocre players who belong at mid table clubs.

Wenger has added the best player he could possibly purchase for each new position for the last 18 months and sort money like never before.

He will add a DMF when HE feels it's time and the team can absorb the change.

You are pissed off because you think that time was last summer

I am optimistic because we're getting a world class DMF in the summer. And if that costs 40 or 50 million, it doesn't matter.

We'll also get a world class CB

It's bit at the burning pace people want bit it is ambition.

I don't need titles to support arsenal, they only won 5 in my lifetime, 3 were Wengers

And I think 5 is a lot. My Everton and Leeds supporting friends would give their right arm, and as for the Spurs fan...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I was talking to the mrs last night about Wenger and I was getting a little exasperated when I had a thought about the man.
    The basic gist of what I was complaining about to her was “why is he buying a 17 year old DM when he could, should, go out for an established player? We’ve got the money, Arsene is on his last contract (probably) with
    The club, so if he wants to win a league or a CL why doesn’t he push out the boat and do a deal now for whatever the cost and get in the couple of players we need to challenge?”
    Then it hit me.
    Wenger – for all his faults – is a manager who always, always, thinks of the future of Arsenal Football Club.
    Fergie went and bought Van Persie to get him a last title, and he left a team in need of a rebuild.
    Wenger is still planning for after he’s gone from Arsenal.
    I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again – the person who will benefit most from Wengers time at the club is the next guy to get the job.
    Even though Wenger drives me up the wall sometimes, he’s still an absolute legend of the club, and I’ll always be grateful to him.

Arsene Wenger is a great fcuking manager, a gent and ye are lucky to have him. One of the most selfless people in the game. What he's done for the club has been amazing and what he continues to do with things like investing in young players to better the future of the club while timing transfers like Sanchez/Ozil should be admired. Fair enough Ozil hasn't worked out but it was the big name big money signing pessimists were whinging for. It absolutely irks the sh1t out of me while simultaneously creeping the bejesus out of me when I see Arsenal fans wanting him out. "Thanks for the memories Arsene but it time to go". All that ****e ya see from unappreciative spawns of Satan. From the outside in I blame any shortcomings on how unlucky ye've been with injuries. It's damn **** all to do with Arsene Wenger and the man should be knighted and statued. He can come manage my club any day. He's made ye a very good and likeable club.

Viva L'Arsene.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Wenger has added the best player he could possibly purchase for each new position for the last 18 months and sort money like never before.

Absorb the change?! You're starting to talk like him now. How much absorbing did Matic take in the Chelsea team? None because he's world class and surrounded by top players. But no it's better for us to wait for another season and go to the likes of the Etihad with Flamini/Coq as our dmf and a faded Mert as our first choice CB...makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

FA Cup too I'll give him that.

Ha! How very generous of you!

Happily, you don't have to give it to him, as believe it or not, he already has it, having won it himself in May.

Which, incidentally, is more than any other manager won last year bar Pelligrini.

Absorb the change?! You're starting to talk like him now. How much absorbing did Matic take in the Chelsea team? None because he's world class and surrounded by top players. But no it's better for us to wait for another season and go to the likes of the Etihad with Flamini/Coq as our dmf and a faded Mert as our first choice CB...makes perfect sense.

Look at the two clubs you referenced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

emmetlego wrote: »

The other thing that I cannot accept, is the unwillingness to accept that without the stadium development, we would be a mid table or Spurs-like team. No ECL nights or sporadic league challenges. Wenger had to make the change over to Emirates, or we were on the financial scrap heap in modern football terms… Sadly for us, the oil tycoons and Oligarchs had other ideas!!! As a club, we had to make sacrifices. If you can't see that, then you are blinded by your bias.

is this fact though? you say it like it is.

arsenal were finishing 1st or 2nd when they decided to build the stadium.
    if they didn't they wouldn't have had loans to repay
    they wouldn't have to sign up to below value long term sponsorship deals
    wenger wouldn't to have gone down the youth/value policy to the extend he did

WHL is smaller than highbury & anfield a bit bigger, but arsenal were far ahead of those two back then no reason why they would've slipped behind them to mid table as you envisaged.

Or be more realistic

Realistic? We've spent around 75m last Summer on Alexis, Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina and Welbeck and still managed to leave the squad short. I think we're entitled to expect a bit more.

You've offered absolutely no proper defence of Wenger in current terms just on how he was winning things over a decade ago.

batistuta9 wrote: »

WHL is smaller than highbury & anfield a bit bigger, but arsenal were far ahead of those two back then no reason why they would've slipped behind them to mid table as you envisaged.

Both want to move or increase capacity, I wonder why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I am optimistic because we're getting a world class DMF in the summer. And if that costs 40 or 50 million, it doesn't matter.

We'll also get a world class CB

It's bit at the burning pace people want bit it is ambition.

Can I just ask how you are so sure of this?

Realistic? We've spent around 75m last Summer on Alexis, Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina and Welbeck and still managed to leave the squad short. I think we're entitled to expect a bit more.

You've offered absolutely no proper defence of Wenger in current terms just on how he was winning things over a decade ago.

Are you the judge of that? Means fa to me

But weve spent over 100m on players since we bought Ozil in September 2013 and we're still mediocre. That old pony of the stadium costs cannot continue to be flogged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would anyone take Sagna back ? Apparently he's being edged out at City

we are the FA Cup holders, the 2nd most important trophy in British Football

matic took a lot of absorbing this season too. he took it away from courtois, fabregas & costa like your man in the green mile, be tired as fúck after it boss

Are you the judge of that? Means fa to me

Now your just being insolent and silly. Why not engage in proper debate rather than this one lined petty nonsense?

But weve spent over 100m on players since we bought Ozil in September 2013 and we're still mediocre. That old pony of the stadium costs cannot continue to be flogged.

How much value left?

To Wenger it makes sense, yeah. This shouldn't be new though. The man has a very clear philosophy on how the team plays and approaches the game.

You might disagree with it but it's all about relationships on the pitch and expression. It takes time.

Jose's great at spending money and building an effective tam quickly.

'Here's your role, here's what you do in every situation'.

Never seen him rebuild a team though one though.

• Advertisement

Now your just being insolent and silly. Why not engage in proper debate rather than this one lined petty nonsense?

I am giving plenty of evidence to back up what I said. How is winning the FA Cup mediocre???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gringo180 wrote: »
    That shouldnt mean we dont address our glaringly obvious weakness's in our squad. How long is it now we have been short at the back and how long is it since we brought in a proper defensive midfielder?

I feel i should point out that only 3 teams conceded fewer than Arsenal in the league last year.

No team conceded fewer at home.

(It needs work, I'm not saying it doesn't, but it actually isn't the defensive equivalent of a sieve that so many people like to think it is.)

Would anyone take Sagna back ? Apparently he's being edged out at City

No. He is to old

How much value left?

Value will equate to trophies or at the very least, competitiveness. We're still in no way equipped to beat any of the top three

To Wenger it makes sense, yeah. This shouldn't be new though. The man has a very clear philosophy on how the team plays and approaches the game.

You might disagree with it but it's all about relationships on the pitch and expression. It takes time.

Jose's great at spending money and building an effective tam quickly.

'Here's your role, here's what you do in every situation'.

Never seen him rebuild a team though one though.

Who cares buy a new one! Instant success ftw!

• Advertisement

I am giving plenty of evidence to back up what I said. How is winning the FA Cup mediocre???

What other evidence? I haven't seen it. Winning 1 FA Cup in 10 years is mediocre yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No. He is to old

he'd do a job with Debuchy out

Value will equate to trophies or at the very least, competitiveness. We're still in no way equipped to beat any of the top three

Value left arsenal since we signed Özil I meant

wonga77 wrote: »
    Can I just ask how you are so sure of this?

Because that's the whole reason he built the stadium

he'd do a job with Debuchy out

For how much? Chambers slot in

What other evidence? I haven't seen it. Winning 1 FA Cup in 10 years is mediocre yes.

Read my posts

2 in 10 years to correct you

Both want to move or increase capacity, I wonder why...

yeah, but so could a more successful arsenal & wenger be looking to do the same.

the guy states like fact if arsenal hadn't left highbury when they did they'd be midtable or not in the CL.
    i don't think that's right, do you?

We just about limped to it after outrageously flirting with blowing it, its the only trophy we've won in 9 years, and id imagine it will be business as usual at the end of this season except of course we're locked in a battle for 'our fourth place trophy'. No one takes Arsenal seriously as contenders any more. We've turned into a laughing stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

5 of the best of us who are FOR Arsene's ways and 5 of yer best who are AGAINST his ways should all meet and an arranged time and place and box the heads of each other to sort this out properly once and for all.

• Advertisement

yeah, but so could a more successful arsenal & wenger be looking to do the same.

the guy states like fact if arsenal hadn't left highbury when they did they'd be midtable or not in the CL.
    i don't think that's right, do you?

No one would see the investment potential backers advertisers etc, we need to increase to keep up with the game

For how much? Chambers slot in

Chambers is a rookie. No way on earth should the level of responsibility have been heaped on him like it has been this year. Even AW admitted that, when it was too late.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    5 of the best of us who are FOR Arsene's ways and 5 of yer best who are AGAINST his ways should all meet and an arranged time and place and box the heads of each other to sort this out properly once and for all.

I could ref it as I am a fully qualified ref, and my brain surgery excludes me from taking part.

Chambers is a rookie. No way on earth should the level of responsibility have been heaped on him like it has been this year. Even AW admitted that, when it was too late.

He can share it with others jenko did it last season

We just about limped to it after outrageously flirting with blowing it, its the only trophy we've won in 9 years, and id imagine it will be business as usual at the end of this season except of course we're locked in a battle for 'our fourth place trophy'. No one takes Arsenal seriously as contenders any more. We've turned into a laughing stock.

Never happy, if we won the ucl this year you'd find fault with it.
    Laughing stock by whom? Liverpool? Man United???

I understand people's point though.

Without Wenger, we might be Liverpool, OK, but hey, they've a CL and we're doing nothing.

I would urge patience though. We are signing world class players like never before. They just need to all get on the pitch and in form.

He can share it with others jenko did it last season

Due to Debuchys injury, he has been alternating with another rookie Bellerin. Just not good enough tbh.

Due to Debuchys injury, he has been alternating with another rookie Bellerin. Just not good enough tbh.

For 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Because that's the whole reason he built the stadium

Yeah i get where your coming from but what makes you so sure that its coming this summer? why not last summer?

• Advertisement

No one would see the investment potential backers advertisers etc, we need to increase to keep up with the game

maybe it was the right time to move, the stadium was really to stay at the top of it or ahead of it, with man u.
    they might of known abramhovic was coming, well i think dein did.
    that wasn't what i asked though

do you think arsenal would be mid table & out of the CL now if they hadn't moved?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement