Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

efb wrote: »
    I could ref it as I am a fully qualified ref, and my brain surgery excludes me from taking part.

Thanks efb, much appreciated. I'm sorry to learn of your injury, but hey you're an Arsenal fan, well used to injuries eh? I'll throw your name down for the scrap, anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

batistuta9 wrote: »
    maybe it was the right time to move, the stadium was really to stay at the top of it or ahead of it, with man u.
    they might of known abramhovic was coming, well i think dein did.
    that wasn't what i asked though

do you think arsenal would be mid table & out of the CL now if they hadn't moved?

I don't think we would be as successful

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Thanks efb, much appreciated. I'm sorry to learn of your injury, but hey you're an Arsenal fan, well used to injuries eh? I'll throw your name down for the scrap, anyone else?

I'm the diaby of the thread

Birth defect not acquired BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Successful??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Read my posts

I have. They're mostly just one-liners with no substance.
    To summarise:

-Wenger is great
    -Be realistic
    -2 trophies in 2 years
    -Can't compete with Chelsea/City
    -Wenger is great

I'm out. Don't have time for listening to the same sh1te over and over again.

I'm the diaby of the thread

efb = everything fcuking breaks??

To summarise:

-Wenger is great
    -Be realistic
    -2 trophies in 2 years
    -Wenger is great

Also 5th richest club,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

:confused: Show us yours?

Your living 1 decade ago. Totally totally irrelevant to the problems we face today. Back in Wengers hey dey we had the famous back five plus Seaman, (and Jens to a certain degree) Sol Campbell, Vieira, Petit, Pires, Ljungberg, Henry, Bergkamp...leaders all over the field.

You couldnt compare the current crop apart from maybe Sanchez to that lot. Wenger cant use the excuse that leaders are hard to come by when City, Chelsea and United all managed perfectly to find enough to win trophies.

Very, very few teams could compare to that team. That's why they were so special.

Edit: The bizarre way that some people seem to think they are entitled to demand those standards is, in reality, laughable. And more than a little embarassing.

Evil fascist bast'rd actually

Why always me?

• Advertisement

To summarise:

-Wenger is great
    -Be realistic
    -2 trophies in 2 years
    -Wenger is great

Your spoilt so you are and you have an appropriate username for that also. Not everyone can afford the luxuries of extra gravy and not everyone can afford the luxury of buying trophies like City & Chelsea.

4 ops now. At least wenger would extend my contract. Maybe that's why I like him.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

seriously?
    i'd say arsenal would be more successful - more than one trophy in 9 years - wouldn't have fallen out of the top 4, though by now would probably be finishing 4th and looking to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yeah i get where your coming from but what makes you so sure that its coming this summer? why not last summer?

He's said enough over the years and enough's been written about him to put it together.

Last year our problem was attack, not defence, in terms of overall goals for and against.

So we needed something up front and also needed a new first choice RB.

Wenger feels Sanchez and Debuchy are the best he could do, and I think he was right.

Then we need a backup CB. Chambers was as good as it got there. The argument is being made that Mert should have been replaced but to replace the best CB pairing in a decade would have been crazy management.

Three players and he's done IMO.

Ospina signed as he doesn't really affect things.

Welbeck only signed because Giroud was injured.

His priorities were adding goals and replacing two defenders.

This summer no-one is leaving. We don't need a striker.

We need a DMF and a CB, unless we get one this month.

seriously?
    i'd say arsenal would be more successful - more than one trophy in 9 years - wouldn't have fallen out of the top 4, though by now would probably be finishing 4th and looking to move.

Well great news, we can't prove each other wrong as I forgot the keys to my time machine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Jeysus, I put the laptop down for 15 mins and "war and peace" has been written. Biblical proportions!!!

At the time Emirates became "The Project" for Arsenal, United were pulling away to be realistic and were expanding Old Trafford. This is a fact. Financially we wouldn't have kept pace with them unless we expanded (not an option) so we rebuilt to get the extra capacity, thus the financial muscle needed to keep pace. We HAD to endure the 10 years or so of not being able to buy the top brass players. Just as we started Abramovich arrived. Then the tycoons. I stand over my comment of earlier. Had we not expanded, we would have missed out on ECL a few years. That is my strong belief.

However, I also believe we have turned a corner. We have Ozil and Sanchez, which in turn, will bring even better players to our club. It's the original snowball. The days of finding the hidden gems (ala Vieira, or The incredible sulk) for little or nothing, as scouting networks are much more widespread nowadays, and the likes of Chelsea have more employees.

I honestly believe also, that we would have finished 1st/2nd last year (huge improvement) only for the injuries. We have strengthened with Alexis, but injuries have grown exponentially. Can you non believers not see this?

Wenger has always said, that you must never bring in too many players at once, as this totally upsets team ethos and balance (look at Spurs with Bale money, Pool with Suarez money) and he always said he would never flood a team with signings. He's a man of his own principals.

Trust me on this lads and ladies, he will bring us back to glory. We just need to find this poxy Gypsy that has cursed our physio room.

Good night folks, and COYG

Well great news, we can't prove each other wrong as I forgot the keys to my time machine :P

baldrick broke mine again

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

baldrick broke mine again

Can I be Lord Melchett?

Wouldn't mind watching Back to the Future actually.

• Advertisement

Your spoilt so you are and you have an appropriate username for that also. Not everyone can afford the luxuries of extra gravy and not everyone can afford the luxury of buying trophies like City & Chelsea.

Always makes me laugh to see Chelsea/City blamed for our lack of success. I can see it now. "Arsene, why do you continue to start every season with an understrength team? Is there a reason why you yet again haven't bought a CB or DMF?" "Because Chelsea, that's why."

maybe it was the right time to move, the stadium was really to stay at the top of it or ahead of it, with man u.
    they might of known abramhovic was coming, well i think dein did.
    that wasn't what i asked though

do you think arsenal would be mid table & out of the CL now if they hadn't moved?

One thing is for sure. Without Wenger's skill and the cash injection, there would generally only be one CL spot open between us, Liverpool, Spurs and whoever.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Always makes me laugh to see Chelsea/City blamed for our lack of success. I can see it now. "Arsene, why do you continue to start every season with an understrength team? Is there a reason why you yet again haven't bought a CB or DMF?" "Because Chelsea, that's why."

They over inflate the market re fees and salaries

gosplan wrote: »
    One thing is for sure. Without Wenger's skill and the cash injection, there would generally only be one CL spot open between us, Liverpool, Spurs and whoever.

Or Wed be 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So sugar daddys billions don't have an effect on us?

GOOD NIGHT!

Can I be Lord Melchett?

baaah

Wouldn't mind watching Back to the Future actually.

Prefer black adder

gosplan wrote: »

just like now so :D

its called a difference of opinion. Your entitled to yours (although you have some mental fortitude to have such loyalty for the last ten years of absolute mediocrity tbh). God be with the days when football managers used put their best foot forward in order to win football matches.

That changed when certain billionares started to buy matches.

• Advertisement

It's the injuries lads. Injuries have arserode Arsenal over the years. Not the transfer policy. Many a player Arsenal sign get injured, but how easy is it to splash 30 million on a back up striker a la Wilfried Bony? I don't blame Chelsea. I blame injuries. The likes of City and Chelsea can replace injured signings with millions on replacements. Arsenal can't.

emmetlego wrote: »
    So sugar daddys billions don't have an effect on us?

GOOD NIGHT!

Other teams having money is the reason we are short players? Right so. Sleep well.

What other evidence? I haven't seen it. Winning 1 FA Cup in 10 years is mediocre yes.

He's won five FA cups. Same as Ferguson, only in fewer years. And more than anybody since before 1900.

Sorry, don't mind me. Carry on.

They over inflate the market re fees and salaries

And isn't it unfortunate how it only seems to be Arsenal affected by this.

And isn't it unfortunate how it only seems to be Arsenal affected by this.

Errr, is not everyone affected by it?

Little do they know, we're just rehashing this argument till the superthread of doom comes to an end. We need it done by Sunday. Heh heh, City won't know what hit them.

• Advertisement

Wenger In - Yay!

Wenger out. How many is that? Must be nearly there now

Wenger out. How many is that? Must be nearly there now

Mine says 9938

Oh now it says 9939

Arsene, how come you managed to win 2 leagues in the 3 seasons preceding Chelsea being bought by an Russian billionaire, but haven't managed to do it since? Do you think it's anything to do with them having two consecutive seasons of spending that are, to this day, among the top 5 net spends in a single season by any club anywhere, ever?
    Did that sort of force you to change your approach?

• Advertisement

The very last word! #WengerIn

Arsene, that left back you had that year the team didn't lose a game. Remember him? Came through the youth ranks and you gave him his first senior start a while back? Whatever happened to him?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Arsene, how come you managed to win 2 leagues in the 3 seasons preceding Chelsea being bought by an Russian billionaire, but haven't managed to do it since? Do you think it's anything to do with them having two consecutive seasons of spending that are, to this day, among the top 5 net spends in a single season by any club anywhere, ever?
    Did that sort of force you to change your approach?

Ah there you go with reason

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Arsene, that left back you had that year the team didn't lose a game. Remember him? Came through the youth ranks and you gave him his first senior start a while back? Whatever happened to him?

He don't like dolmio

Arsene, remember Adebayor, Toure, Nasri, Clichy and Sagna? All first team players over the past few years? Why don't you play any of them anymore?

What's that? They all f***ed off to City because they got way more cash than you could pay them?

That's all well and good, but what has it got to do with Chelsea or City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ye bloody better win on Sunday or help me God I'll start a new thread before the night is out.

:mad: :pac:

Well ye can buy, sorry, win the league now, cos yer not invincible baby...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well ye can buy, sorry, win the league now, cos yer not invincible baby...

Only the media believed we'd go unbeaten. Happens every year when a team goes on a run at the start and are the best team in the league.

Also every team buys the league year on year. Id be more annoyed if i was supporting Utd or Pool with the money theyve spent and where the currently are.

Fyi, the only team i fear outside of City is a fully fit arsenal squad, although ye know those words rarely formulate a sentence with AFC in recent times.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Only the media believed we'd go unbeaten. Happens every year when a team goes on a run at the start and are the best team in the league.

Also every team buys the league year on year. Id be more annoyed if i was supporting Utd or Pool with the money theyve spent and where the currently are.

Fyi, the only team i fear outside of City is a fully fit arsenal squad, although ye know those words rarely formulate a sentence with AFC in recent times.

More chance of me getting a boyfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

GavRedKing wrote: »

More chance of efb gettin a....Oh sorry, you already did that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement