Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Whats the standard like? I only play with a very select bunch of lads who are worse than me.

Standard is high in regards to how we play but we dont expect u to bang a hattrick every game

so long as u know how to play the barca way its easy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Standard is high in regards to how we play but we dont expect u to bang a hattrick every game

so long as u know how to play the barca way its easy

Thats mad so you play for a team, 11+ players in your squad but its not a real games its a computer game with a league....

Thats mad, I'm getting old ted. Get out on the park and play a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Soups123 wrote: »
    Thats mad so you play for a team, 11+ players in your squad but its not a real games its a computer game with a league....

I had to read it a few times wondering what the hell he was on about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

And even worse, without a trace of irony, he is posting about playing the Barca way in an Arsenal thread.

Surely, there must be a FIFA 15 thread somewhere for geeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Godge wrote: »

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Wenger doesn't play that way.

Not usually but he has done it to.good effect I think against barca in the CL when they were.at their peak. I don't know why we can't play a variation of that in our away games against the better teams. Maybe not as defensive but sit back and hit on the break.

With the forward players we have we can be devastating on the counter.

Our full backs and flamini should not cross the half way line either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Godge wrote: »
    And even worse, without a trace of irony, he is posting about playing the Barca way in an Arsenal thread.

Yeah, seems a bit harsh? I didn't know everyone who enjoys a game of Fifa is a geek or that you weren't aloud to ask your fellow Gooners do they want to plat Fifa with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

My ideal formation for Sunday (given the players available) would be:

Shez

Chambers---Mert----Kos
    Gibbs-
    Ox
    Flamini
    Wilshere---
    -Ozil
    Cazorla-

Welbeck

Whatever about Ozil's defensive abilities Chambers is solid behind him and Ox has the legs to cover if they're caught out. Cazorla isn't bad at getting himself in defensive positions at least, sometimes can nip away with the ball and set up a break. No 1 priority is to contain and then no 2 is to try and nick one on the break with the legs of Welbeck/Ox and vision of Ozil/Cazorla.

Expecting nothing from the game but if we are to get something from it this surely has to be the most sensible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

2ndcoming wrote: »

Shez

Chambers---Mert----Kos
    Gibbs-
    Ox
    Flamini
    Wilshere---
    -Ozil
    Cazorla-

Welbeck

Whatever about Ozil's defensive abilities Chambers is solid behind him and Ox has the legs to cover if they're caught out. Cazorla isn't bad at getting himself in defensive positions at least, sometimes can nip away with the ball and set up a break. No 1 priority is to contain and then no 2 is to try and nick one on the break with the legs of Welbeck/Ox and vision of Ozil/Cazorla.

Expecting nothing from the game but if we are to get something from it this surely has to be the most sensible approach.

Were playing a bit of a high line there and theres too big a gap between the midfielders and Welbeck! :p

Seriously though, I would start Sanchez and Ox on the wings with Flamini, Wilshere and Ozil in the middle. Cazorla is unlucky to miss out but Ill be much happier if we start with pace in the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shez

Chambers---Mert----Kos
    Gibbs-
    Ox
    Flamini
    Wilshere---
    -Ozil
    Cazorla-

Welbeck

Looking at that team, and the one Chelsea are due to put out, if we could just swap Flamini for Matic, I'd be confident of a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

greendom wrote: »
    Looking at that team, and the one Chelsea are due to put out, if we could just swap Flamini for Matic, I'd be confident of a win

Get away from our Matic, it was expensive business letting him go to Benfica as part of the Luiz deal but hes come back, with a large transfer fee, better than we could have ever hoped for if we loaned him to Vitesse or someone as terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Shez

Chambers---Mert----Kos
    Gibbs-
    Ox
    Flamini
    Wilshere---
    -Ozil
    Cazorla-

Welbeck

Not sure if the above is on the assumption Sanchez is unfit, but if he is fit he has to start. He has been the most effective player in the front 3 this season and was bought for games like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What kind of reception will Fabregas get on Sunday? Fans are very mixed on him, I doubt he'll get the same treatment as Nasri or the likes but id imagine he'll get a few boo's nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

wonga77 wrote: »
    What kind of reception will Fabregas get on Sunday? Fans are very mixed on him, I doubt he'll get the same treatment as Nasri or the likes but id imagine he'll get a few boo's nonetheless

I hope they dont waste their time booing or cheering him tbh. A very small part of our history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raf32 wrote: »
    I hope they dont waste their time booing or cheering him tbh. A very small part of our history.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Fcuk it I'm going to buck the trend and say well beat them or at least try convince myself we will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fcuk it I'm going to buck the trend and say well beat them or at least try convince myself we will.

Well it can't be as bad as last year anyway but i'd say the best we can do is get out with a draw if Wenger plays it right.
    The way i see it with our injuries is that Chelsea have strengthened and we have stayed put.
    If we got a bit of luck for a change and an early goal it might increase the confidence of the team and bring out the best in them. I don't want to think what might happen if we concede early though.

Not sure if the above is on the assumption Sanchez is unfit, but if he is fit he has to start. He has been the most effective player in the front 3 this season and was bought for games like this.

I'm going there for basically 3 sitting midfielders with the idea to contain and hit on the break. I love Sanchez but my intention would be to have Welbeck basically the only player based in their half. If it's 0-0 or we're 1 down with 60 gone and we're starting to wear them down Sanchez is an unbelievable asset to bring on fresh.

This is exactly how they will approach the return fixture as well. I would rather anything to the gung-ho madness we employed last year. Respect the danger they pose and try and steal a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Cesc will get a mixed reception that could change depending on how he does through out the game.

I cant imagine itll be overly hostile anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Why is us beating them so shocking around here? They aren't world beaters

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    Why is us beating them so shocking around here? They aren't world beaters

Never said they were ;) in fact I've said there being massively overhyped by a lot it's way to early to say they'll win the league.

I do think we can beat them but we've been stumbling a bit so far this season and we do have a bit of a voodoo on us against our rivals a mental block we badly need to overcome.

We need a big performance.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think Cesc will get a mixed reception that could change depending on how he does through out the game.

I cant imagine itll be overly hostile anyway.

Let's be honest we knew he wanted to go back to London for family reasons (his soon to be wife wanted their daughter to go to school in london) so it was always going to be them or us. We decided rightly that we didn't need him. I have no hate towards him, he's not a local lad like Asshole Cole who turned his back on his childhood team for money. He will get the odd boo (I'm sure he expects it) from the away and home this season along as he doesn't do a Emmanuel Adebayor, the boos will go away next season.

Never said they were ;) in fact I've said there being massively overhyped by a lot it's way to early to say they'll win the league.

I do think we can beat them but we've been stumbling a bit so far this season and we do have a bit of a voodoo on us against our rivals a mental block we badly need to overcome.

We need a big performance.

I know wasn't directed at you Marty :P. Some people around here saying they are some unstoppable force, they played a ten man Man City side and could only score once and the other teams they played were mid table teams. If we play to our best abilities and are defensively sound. Our forward line will rip their defence apart, Sanchez, Ox and Welbeck with that youth and pace will leave Terry and Cahill in their tracks.

Quazzie wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Let's be honest he's right though. In twenty years time Cesc will not be remembered by Arsenal fans.

Will Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams etc yes will the current squad who knows If some of them can go on to have successful careers here and win things maybe.

But will Cesc no.

Let's be honest he's right though. In twenty years time Cesc will not be remembered by Arsenal fans.

Will Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams etc yes will the current squad who knows If some of them can go on to have successful careers here and win things maybe.

But will Cesc no.

He came up through our youth system to captain the club. Spout your bitter bullshíte all ya like but at least pay the man the respect he deserves.

He came up through our youth system to captain the club. Spout your bitter bullshíte all ya like but at least pay the man the respect he deserves.

No one is denying he was a great player for us and still is. Just saying he didnt leave as big a legacy behind here as many seem to think. Id argue Ramsey has already left more behind with the winner in the final.

Win-to-nil is the baseline so yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Like the respect he showed the club by forcing his move away is it? Tired of this Cesc adulation. Yes he was a great player for us but he didn't help us win anything and he didn't want to stay when we needed him. So fcuk him.

:pac: untwist your knickers.

Were in what I said was wrong?

Hes a good player but will he be remembered by Arsenal fans in the future no? Did he win anything like the invincibles did to leave a long lasting legacy no?

You're the one sounding a bit sore over it all.

Raf32 wrote: »
    No one is denying he was a great player for us and still is. Just saying he didnt leave as big a legacy behind here as many seem to think. Id argue Ramsey has already left more behind with the winner in the final.

People wax lyrical about Wenger getting us through the money-less times with some sense of decorum and entertainment. Well he done it off the field, and Cesc done it one the field. He was sensational for us, and still could be, and it wasn't his fault the board/Wenger didn't supply him with the team that he deserved. He left us to join his childhood team, and then wanted to come straight back to us, but Wenger chose not to take him back. It's this decision to not accept him back and let him join our direct rivals, I think will be Wenger's downfall.

You can't say Wenger was successful in us achieving fourth year after year and then not give Cesc the same credit, because he was one of, if not THE main player in doing it for us also.

• Advertisement

People wax lyrical about Wenger getting us through the money-less times with some sense of decorum and entertainment. Well he done it off the field, and Cesc done it one the field. He was sensational for us, and still could be, and it wasn't his fault the board/Wenger didn't supply him with the team that he deserved. He left us to join his childhood team, and then wanted to come straight back to us, but Wenger chose not to take him back. It's this decision to not accept him back and let him join our direct rivals, I think will be Wenger's downfall.

You can't say Wenger was successful in us achieving fourth year after year and then not give Cesc the same credit, because he was one of, if not THE main player in doing it for us also.

Cesc was a brilliant player for us, my favourite after the invincibles but leaving out a few games, he was a big game bottler imo. I agree it was an awful decision, we should have had him back. RVP was a worse one for me but suppose time will tell.

Didn't win anything though did he? :P

As far as I'm concerned polite applause when he's announced then treat him like any other player except a few boos and cheers when he ****s up. :P

He probably deserves more boos than any of them to be honest. He was envisaged as the long term captain and if he had kept faith in the project Wenger was undertaking who knows what we would have under our belts or how strong we would be right now? It also gave the likes of Nasri and van Persie the excuse they needed to jump ship.

My favourite moment of the game the other night was Ozil and Alexis celebrating after the 3rd. The week Cesc left it seemed like the end of the world. I never thought then we'd be seeing those two in Arsenal jerseys within a couple of years. We're building at a seriously rapid rate compared to what we put up with 07-12. We now only really need a proper DM, an extra squad centre half and if we were really picky a superstar centre forward. We used to need about 5 core improvements to our 1st team even if everyone was fit!

Chelsea are on about their 4th 300m pound team. They are ahead of us in the 'ridiculous spending is the only way to win' league that we are finally starting to join. It's been proven true over the last 10 years around Europe in fairness with Dortmund and Atleti the only real exceptions.

I just hope we go into the game with all of that in mind on Sunday, I hope Wenger doesn't just think our super quality will shine through. We'll need to fight tooth and nail and want it more all over the pitch to win it. They might be overrated, but they're odds on to win the league for a reason. Speaking of odds, we're 12's now, if we get a result we won't see that price again I don't think. The optimistic out there, now is the time for a nibble.

Come on you Gunners!

Since we have no match tomorrow we may as well get a debate going. :P

Would things have been much different if Cesc had stayed? Did we ever sign the striker he needed?

Also on Welbeck, I want more than anyone else for him to be a success. I just don't see PL teams or top CL teams giving him chances like the other night. It was posted on the last thread and it has a few layers to it, the last player to score a hat-trick for Arsenal in Europe was Bendtner. So let's dial the excitement back a little bit. :P

Again I'm just annoyed we didn't sign a decent DM and that we're basically a player down in defence compared to last year. CBs of Kos and Mert with a proper DM and Vermaelen in front of them would've left loads of choice for the front 4 positions even when set up defensively. But sure! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BzBJ_uDIYAEctqA.jpg

BzBJ_2MIgAAqPwi.jpg

Hope we don't have to face Gala again any time soon. Between the vandalism of the fans and the dangerous tackles by the players, they're just not fit to be in European competition.

Not mah problem. :P

The amount of stewards who are there all the time, something should've been done. Get the cops in and all, not Arsenal's fault.

There needs to be a proper crackdown on "fans" by UEFA and FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Did he ever play for Arsenal's academy? IIRC he was signed and was in first team squad after few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He probably deserves more boos than any of them to be honest. He was envisaged as the long term captain and if he had kept faith in the project Wenger was undertaking who knows what we would have under our belts or how strong we would be right now? It also gave the likes of Nasri and van Persie the excuse they needed to jump ship.

My favourite moment of the game the other night was Ozil and Alexis celebrating after the 3rd. The week Cesc left it seemed like the end of the world. I never thought then we'd be seeing those two in Arsenal jerseys within a couple of years. We're building at a seriously rapid rate compared to what we put up with 07-12. We now only really need a proper DM, an extra squad centre half and if we were really picky a superstar centre forward. We used to need about 5 core improvements to our 1st team even if everyone was fit!

Chelsea are on about their 4th 300m pound team. They are ahead of us in the 'ridiculous spending is the only way to win' league that we are finally starting to join. It's been proven true over the last 10 years around Europe in fairness with Dortmund and Atleti the only real exceptions.

I just hope we go into the game with all of that in mind on Sunday, I hope Wenger doesn't just think our super quality will shine through. We'll need to fight tooth and nail and want it more all over the pitch to win it. They might be overrated, but they're odds on to win the league for a reason. Speaking of odds, we're 12's now, if we get a result we won't see that price again I don't think. The optimistic out there, now is the time for a nibble.

Come on you Gunners!

Great post

Since we have no match tomorrow we may as well get a debate going. :P

Would things have been much different if Cesc had stayed? Did we ever sign the striker he needed?

Also on Welbeck, I want more than anyone else for him to be a success. I just don't see PL teams or top CL teams giving him chances like the other night. It was posted on the last thread and it has a few layers to it, the last player to score a hat-trick for Arsenal in Europe was Bendtner. So let's dial the excitement back a little bit. :P

Again I'm just annoyed we didn't sign a decent DM and that we're basically a player down in defence compared to last year. CBs of Kos and Mert with a proper DM and Vermaelen in front of them would've left loads of choice for the front 4 positions even when set up defensively. But sure! :P

I don't think so. We would have been frugal with purchases till the finances turned around. Maybe there's a chance Cesc and RVP would have done something special like Liverpool last year.

Danny is obviously not Messi. But we've faced poor opposition before and not been able to exploit them. It'll be very very different on Sunday as the space won't be there but Giroud would have had a very different game the other night and let that poor defence away with an awful lot. It's been a while since we had a striker that could just cut through defences with pace.

You would have liked a DMF? No way. How come you waited till now to mention it? ;)

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    You would have liked a DMF? No way. How come you waited till now to mention it? ;)

What can I say? Few drinks loosen my tongue.

What can I say? Few drinks loosen my tongue.

Tis the final piece of the jigsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Fabregas could score and do an Adebayor on Sunday and they'll still be a large percentage of arsenal fans with their head stuck up his arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fabregas could score and do an Adebayor on Sunday and they'll still be a large percentage of arsenal fans with their head stuck up his arse

That'd never happen. I do think he'll be MOTM and prolly get a goal and an assist though.

Wenger saying the chelsea deal was already dome when he was informed Cesc would leave Barca

Playing them in the baddest game of the season so far and arsenal fans still stuck up cesc's hole

Would sicken your shît

L'prof wrote: »
    That'd never happen. I do think he'll be MOTM and prolly get a goal and an assist though.

Oh he scores I hope he celebrates dont show us fans respect, He didn't do that when he went on strike to force his way out

People here hate nasri but not cesc, Cesc went on strike and wouldn't play for us, nasri put in a man of the match performance against Liverpool before he left
    Cesc will be nothing but an afterthought In arsenals history

• Advertisement

Wenger saying the chelsea deal was already dome when he was informed Cesc would leave Barca

Playing them in the baddest game of the season so far and arsenal fans still stuck up cesc's hole

Would sicken your shît

That's Wenger talking through his hole again. He could've signed him, Cesc wanted to return, but good old stubborn Wenger refused again, and sticks with Plan A even when it's not working.

The longer he is at the club the more of his legacy he destroys.

That's Wenger talking through his hole again. He could've signed him, Cesc wanted to return, but good old stubborn Wenger refused again, and sticks with Plan A even when it's not working.

The longer he is at the club the more of his legacy he destroys.

Didn't know you new the inside scoop on deals

Will Ya let us no how future deals are going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That would never happen with Cesc and you know it :rolleyes:
    The man has a bit of class. Ade had none.

Didn't know you new the inside scoop on deals

Will Ya let us no how future deals are going

There was a buy back clause in his contract FFS.

There was a buy back clause in his contract FFS.

First option, wenger said when he was informed the deal was already done

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement