Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

Paj wrote: »
    Jenkinson's actually playing well for West Ham, i think he's got 2 assists so far.
    He got far too much flak the last couple of seasons along with Monreal. Monreal is a higher standard overall obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

greendom wrote: »
    You can ask United fans if they strengthened in needed areas this Summer

Comparing to other teams is pointless. I don't care how well Chelsea did and how poor utd did i care about Arsenal and we did not strengthen where we needed to.

I don't understand what you're tying to do? are you denying this fact? are you trying to defend Wenger and come up with excuses as to why we are so short at the back and in DM and why we've won 2 pl games out of 8?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There is a world of difference between not bothering to find players for certain positions and failing to sign players for certain positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Comparing to other teams is pointless. I don't care how well Chelsea did and how poor utd did i care about Arsenal and we did not strengthen where we needed to.

I don't understand what you're tying to do? are you denying this fact? are you trying to defend Wenger and come up with excuses as to why we are so short at the back and in DM and why we've won 2 pl games out of 8?

I didn't start the comparisons, just responding to the argument

Hyzepher wrote: »
    There is a world of difference between not bothering to find players for certain positions and failing to sign players for certain positions

At the end of the day, there isn't. We're still sitting here well short of defenders and we're paying for it just as much as Utd are regardless of who "tried" to sign a CB and who didn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The outcome maybe the same but the effort or prioritization are poles apart.

Now, if you are taking about competency - that's a whole different discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

He got far too much flak the last couple of seasons along with Monreal. Monreal is a higher standard overall obviously.

I disagree. I have not seen anything from Monreal in his Arsenal career to suggest he's any better than Jenks. I keep waiting/wanting him to prove me wrong but he hasn't.

Roaster wrote: »
    I disagree. I have not seen anything from Monreal in his Arsenal career to suggest he's any better than Jenks. I keep waiting/wanting him to prove me wrong but he hasn't.

Really ? I think Monreal is far more accomplished than Jenkinson as things stand

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Really ? I think Monreal is far more accomplished than Jenkinson as things stand

Honestly, I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I think Nacho’s gotten more stick than he deserves.

His issues last season I think came from a lack of communication / understanding with his team mates, but he’s decent enough. I don’t panic when I see him in the lineup anyway.

I’m far more concerned about Mertesackers form this season, which is dogsh1t. He was splendid last year, his positioning and leadership largely making up for his terrible lack of pace. But this season
    He’s been shocking, his defending for Valencia’s header was really really bad. Completely lost him in the box. Not the first time he’s been weak either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mert has to be one of the most overhyped Arsenal players in quite some time imo.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Mert has to be one of the most overhyped Arsenal players in quite some time imo.

last season he was very good Raf.
    he works well with Kos and is a leader of the team, one of the very few leaders i think we have.

Mert is complete ****, I rather Hayden play alongside Kosc and obviously ideally have debuchy,chambers,kosc,gibbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Overhyped? Where? He was pretty damn good last year, and not this year. That doesn't sound like hype to me.

Paj wrote: »
    last season he was very good Raf.
    he works well with Kos and is a leader of the team, one of the very few leaders i think we have.

For a top 4 team yes, for a title contender no imo. Him and Flamini are great for shouting at everyone but nearly are always the two at fault. Kos carries him imo.

Overhyped? Where? He was pretty damn good last year, and not this year. That doesn't sound like hype to me.

Against the average teams. Against the bigger teams he is/was an absolute liability. Germany dropped him through the world cup because he was all over the shop. Take Mert out of thm games against the big teams and the hammerings arent as bad imo.

Well I would agree that the likes of Flamini and Mert are not going to cut it if you want to win the title ahead of Chelsea and City.
    Flamini more so. I like his spirit but ability wise he’s just not at that highest level, like Matic is. Neither is arteta.
    It really is killing me that the club didn’t go out and improve that position in midfield. There’s talk of schneiderlin in January, I would say Southampton would be extremely reluctant to let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Its fine for supporters to be upset over our poor start. 2 wins in 8 games isnt good enough. We all know that.
    Mert is complete ****, I rather Hayden play alongside Kosc and obviously ideally have debuchy,chambers,kosc,gibbs.

Statements like this are just ridiculous. How many times have you see Hayden play? See him in training everyday as well I suppose.

Mertasacker might have been at fault for the goal vs Hull but hes still a first choice center back and when everyone's fit Hayden wont even make the bench and now you want Hayden starting ahead of him. Knee jerk reaction if i ever saw one.

Against the average teams. Against the bigger teams he is/was an absolute liability.
    That's down to the complete lack of defensive cover from midfield and a suicidally high defensive line, which you shouldn't play with his pace.
    Germany dropped him through the world cup because he was all over the shop. Take Mert out of thm games against the big teams and the hammerings arent as bad imo.
    Same problem with Germany. High line, his lack of pace, and Hummels lack of pace to add to that.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Its fine for supporters to be upset over our poor start. 2 wins in 8 games isnt good enough. We all know that.

Statements like this are just ridiculous. How many times have you see Hayden play? See him in training everyday as well I suppose.

Mertasacker might have been at fault for the goal vs Hull but hes still a first choice center back and when everyone's fit Hayden wont even make the bench and now you want Hayden starting ahead of him. Knee jerk reaction if i ever saw one.

I seen him play maybe 2-3 games, no i don't see him training bit of a silly thing to ask isn't it? :pac:

I love how you think I'm saying Mert is **** because he was at fault for the goal against Hull...a knee jerk reaction awh you're funny. Go back to last week and I was getting hell for saying Mertesacker is sh1t i've always said it and I always will, if you disagree with me great, i honestly don't care but don't start sprouting crap like that when you don't have a clue.

That's down to the complete lack of defensive cover from midfield and a suicidally high defensive line, which you shouldn't play with his pace.

Same problem with Germany. High line, his lack of pace, and Hummels lack of pace to add to that.

But thats it, why shouldnt we play the high line and just improve on him? he isnt irreplaceable to be basing our whole system around.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I seen him play maybe 2-3 games, no i don't see him training bit of a silly thing to ask isn't it? :pac:

I love how you think I'm saying Mert is **** because he was at fault for the goal against Hull...a knee jerk reaction awh you're funny. Go back to last week and I was getting hell for saying Mertesacker is sh1t i've always said it and I always will, if you disagree with me great, i honestly don't care but don't start sprouting crap like that when you don't have a clue.

Did you think he was **** last season too?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you think he was **** last season too?

I thought he had a good season last year mostly due to Kosc covering his ass and allowing him to play the lazy role he thrives in. Towards the end of the season you could see him dropping off, conceding goals, not tracking back, giving up on rebounds, marking at corners was poor, he's so so sloppy on the ball it's not even funny. I just think he's poor and always has been, I think he's being found out atm.

I understand he's an Arsenal player and people want to stick up for him and I understand people also view him as a great defender that's fine. But I think he's poor and if we had a CB similar to Kosc it would not only make us more solid at the back but also allow the team to play in the most effective way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought he had a good season last year mostly due to Kosc covering his ass and allowing him to play the lazy role he thrives in. Towards the end of the season you could see him dropping off, conceding goals, not tracking back, giving up on rebounds, marking at corners was poor, he's so so sloppy on the ball it's not even funny. I just think he's poor and always has been, I think he's being found out atm.

I understand he's an Arsenal player and people want to stick up for him and I understand people also view him as a great defender that's fine. But I think he's poor and if we had a CB similar to Kosc it would not only make us more solid at the back but also allow the team to play in the most effective way.

He's in bad form for sure and if we had a decent defender as back up I'd be all for starting him, but tbh i think the part in bold shows you're just making stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

efb wrote: »
    @BBCSport: Tottenham are lining up a £10m January bid for @Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski. http://t.co/eCp4tJsr3l #Spurs #AFC http://t.co/GNnTQKYMNl

Will he fair better there? I wish him well(ish)

1475913_753652651392769_2860842409943041530_n.jpg?oh=115e161be69874d15051de5da415ad15&oe=54B4942F&__gda__=1424815718_38b95ddcabdf662d5eab3db476699c1f

That settles that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Didn't we have a CB similar to Kos in Vermaelen - an aggressive, strong, quick ball-playing centre back and that was mainly the problem, when they were paired together they'd often go missing

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's in bad form for sure and if we had a decent defender as back up I'd be all for starting him, but tbh i think the part in bold shows you're just making stuff up.

Oh right, I must have just imagined all them things happening and getting extremely angry over them then. :rolleyes:

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Didn't we have a CB similar to Kos in Vermaelen - an aggressive, strong, quick ball-playing centre back and that was mainly the problem, when they were paired together they'd often go missing

Chambers is more similar to Kosc than Verm was, Verm was very hands on like Kosc but they were quite different and it was more of a chemistry problem particularly with positioning for them two. Also Verm was in terrible form when he played last year.

But thats it, why shouldnt we play the high line and just improve on him? he isnt irreplaceable to be basing our whole system around.
    Because Mertesacker isn't the only issue with the high line. We also don't have the midfielders for it. Play to his strengths for now until we can get some more players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The problem with Mert is evident when he moves too far up the field. He's too slow to turn and gets caught out by a ball over the top. He is a great passer and rarely gives it away but he does look awkward and for a big man he gets beaten in the air quite a lot. Not the best CB in the league but far from the worst.

• Advertisement

Tbf, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt saying it was a knee jerk reaction. If you plain don't rate him, your clueless. He has his faults of course and he may be out of form at the moment but to just right him off is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

AdamD wrote: »
    It was actually reported that we met Southampton with them expecting a bid for Scneiderlin but we actually we there to bid for Chambers instead.
    If you had signed Schneiderlinn you'd be comfortably in the top 3 right now imo. Best defensive midfielder in the league (3 league goals too this season).

Wenger should go all out to get him in January. He was the best player at Southampton last season and he's still the best player there. I was desperately hoping Utd would sign him.

K4t wrote: »
    If you had signed Schneiderlinn you'd be comfortably in the top 3 right now imo. Best defensive midfielder in the league (3 league goals too this season).

Wenger should go all out to get him in January. He was the best player at Southampton last season and he's still the best player there. I was desperately hoping Utd would sign him.

I feel like we might have missed the boat with Schneriderlinn. To sign him in January, you will probably be looking at £30m which just isnt going to happen.

I would agree though, cracking player and would fit in perfectly. I hope it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mertesacker is a very poor CB. Slow & not very strong. The only reason he is the the Arsenal team is because he seems to be on of Arsenal's only leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

shano_88 wrote: »
    I feel like we might have missed the boat with Schneriderlinn. To sign him in January, you will probably be looking at £30m which just isnt going to happen.

I would agree though, cracking player and would fit in perfectly. I hope it happens.
    Part exchange with Chamberlain returning to St Mary's........:pac:

I'm sick of the high-line and compressed play tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I read that as saying - support your club even though we are playing sh*** and our manager has been very poor. If that's true then I pity you.

My opinion is that real fans point out faults and where changes need to be made.
    It seems to me that the fans are sometimes more astute than the manager.
    Fans are true to the club BUT have the right to point our what is and is not working.

So you pity me for supporting the club when we're playing shít? That's one of the strangest comments i think I've ever read on this thread. Supporting the club through thick and thin is what being a fan is about. No I'm not happy with our performances lately but to pity somebody for having love for their club when shít goes pear shaped is the greatest load of bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chambers is more similar to Kosc than Verm was, Verm was very hands on like Kosc but they were quite different and it was more of a chemistry problem particularly with positioning for them two. Also Verm was in terrible form when he played last year.

So you'd rather Mert to Verm but Hayden to them both?

Just stop.

Mert's playing poorly, you can leave it at that and still make your point without being rediculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

K4t wrote: »

Matic > Schneiderlinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Regardless of who we had targeted during the summer the fact of the matter is that we didn't sign them. Nor did we sign a second, third or fourth choice.
    That does not happen with the other teams who have aspirations to win the title.

Just seems to happen to Arsenal.

No with Arsene Wenger not Arsenal, the buck stops with him.

• Advertisement

Yes 60 million pounds this summer alone, lying in 14th, 2 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses after 8 games , 13 points off Bayern

WengerOut! KloppIn!

Half their first team out with injuries, come on plus selling on half their squad. You forgot to mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Matic > Schneiderlinn

Matic > Pretty much every BPL CDM.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Half their first team out with injuries, come on plus selling on half their squad. You forgot to mention that.

Surely that's Klopp fault too?

Raf he was good last season and I think its a little unfair on you saying that. But I always said he's far too slow for the premiership, would have been a good backup but I think we should have been looking for a top class replacement during the summer.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Matic > Schneiderlinn

Flamini > Matic

:pac:

Raf he was good last season and I think its a little unfair on you saying that. But I always said he's far too slow for the premiership, would have been a good backup but I think we should have been looking for a top class replacement during the summer.

Game of opinions though. I just never rated him that highly, its a minority opinion here and im ok with that. We should and could definitely be doing better but have far bigger problems i suppose. Once we get this elusive DM, he will need replacing which will probably take Wenger a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

They're currently only missing 3 potential starters.
    Everyone else is back.. BVB have been pretty bad in the Bundesliga this season.

Surely that's Klopp fault too?

So you wouldn't take him if Wenger was sacked/or leaves?

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    They're currently only missing 3 potential starters.
    Everyone else is back.. BVB have been pretty bad in the Bundesliga this season.

A few months ago everyone was sprouting his name. Now he's no good :confused:

• Advertisement

Game of opinions though. I just never rated him that highly, its a minority opinion here and im ok with that. We should and could definitely be doing better but have far bigger problems i suppose. Once we get this elusive DM, he will need replacing which will probably take Wenger a few years.

Raf who do you rate at Arsenal :pac:. I hear a few ball boys are pretty good at their jobs :pac:. Seriously though which Arsenal players do you think are good?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement