Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Looper007 wrote: »
    A few months ago everyone was sprouting his name. Now he's no good :confused:

Oh he's good!
    Just that they can't be blaming there bad form solely on Injuries.

A bit like us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Raf who do you rate at Arsenal :pac:. I hear a few ball boys are pretty good at their jobs :pac:. Seriously though which Arsenal players do you think are good?

I think Mert, Scz, Wilshere and Giroud are overrated by Arsenal fans. I like Arteta but he isnt good enough and Flamini is just isnt good enough. Who do you not rate? Because if i didnt rate some of them i dont know how we aint top of the league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Raf32 wrote: »
    I think Mert, Scz, Wilshere and Giroud are overrated by Arsenal fans. I like Arteta but he isnt good enough and Flamini is just isnt good enough. Who do you not rate? Because if i didnt rate some of them i dont know how we aint top of the league :pac:

Honestly Mert (I think having a Centre back as slow as hi doesn't work these days), Arteta and Flamini. Simply not good enough to be first teamers. I think Wenger's loyalty is his and ours downfall.

I like Giroud (I knocked him in the past cause he's not good enough to be a first teamer, a back up he's perfect) and Welbeck (a bit like Giroud). We need a top class finisher, they are out there but we need to stop been stingy and meet the price. Don't get your hate for Wishire, think he's a good player maybe won't be the world class talent many thought he be but he's far better then you make him out to be. Scz is prone to mistakes but he's a young lad and he lose that once he gets older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    So you pity me for supporting the club when we're playing shít? That's one of the strangest comments i think I've ever read on this thread. Supporting the club through thick and thin is what being a fan is about. No I'm not happy with our performances lately but to pity somebody for having love for their club when shít goes pear shaped is the greatest load of bollocks

Surely you understand that I meant that you are entitled to support the club but also criticise when things are being allowed to continue without being fixed.
    I pity you for not having the balls to mention it or complain about it and to question why it's allowed to continue.
    To do otherwise is a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    So you'd rather Mert to Verm but Hayden to them both?

Just stop.

Mert's playing poorly, you can leave it at that and still make your point without being rediculous.

We all have very short memories on here, when in the name of god did i say i'd prefer Hayden to Verm?

If you payed attention to anything i post you'd know I'm vermaelen's biggest fan. The lad was out of form and struggling with injuries in his latter days.

In what way exactly am I being ridiculous by expressing my disdain for one player?

• Advertisement

Honestly Mert (I think having a Centre back as slow as hi doesn't work these days), Arteta and Flamini. Simply not good enough to be first teamers. I think Wenger's loyalty is his and ours downfall.

I like Giroud (I knocked him in the past cause he's not good enough to be a first teamer, a back up he's perfect) and Welbeck (a bit like Giroud). We need a top class finisher, they are out there but we need to stop been stingy and meet the price. Don't get your hate for Wishire, think he's a good player maybe won't be the world class talent many thought he be but he's far better then you make him out to be. Scz is prone to mistakes but he's a young lad and he lose that once he gets older.

Yup a new centre back and DM are essential now. A striker that can finish is a luxury but Im holding hope that Welbeck will cut it, really impressed so far. I like Giroud from the bench and as a plan B. I praise Wilshere when he plays well but he doesnt seem to have that extra level in him anymore. Like he is playing really well but its not extremely impressive, i just wonder does he have many more levels to go up? Have the injuries ruined him? Scz will improve but in the here and now he makes way too many mistakes and isnt good enough to win a league right now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raf32 wrote: »
    Scz will improve but in the here and now he makes way too many mistakes and isnt good enough to win a league right now imo.

You mean the Golden Glove winning keeper yea? The keeper who was in the team who apart from three really bad games had won the league?

I agree with most of what you say but I think Szcz is underrated if anything, especially non Arsenal fans.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Tbf, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt saying it was a knee jerk reaction. If you plain don't rate him, your clueless. He has his faults of course and he may be out of form at the moment but to just right him off is ridiculous.

Yup, I'm clueless for not liking a player. Good lad.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You mean the Golden Glove winning keeper yea? The keeper who was in the team who apart from three really bad games had won the league?

I agree with most of what you say but I think Szcz is underrated if anything, especially non Arsenal fans.

Golden glove is based on best defence for me. Cech got it too and is a #2 now. Sagna and Kos had more merit to that award than Szc for me. Thats the same GK who got stupidly sent off and got us knocked out of europe last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Surely you understand that I meant that you are entitled to support the club but also criticise when things are being allowed to continue without being fixed.
    I pity you for not having the balls to mention it or complain about it and to question why it's allowed to continue.

Yeah because it takes real balls to complain about something on an internet forum! Hahaha

Its easier to sit there whingeing about our poor form than it is to carry on supporting a club through tough times, so get off your high horse with all your "pity" bollocks because it makes you come across as a condescending prick which I'm sure you are not.

• Advertisement

I do think a few of my fellow Arsenal fans do love to rant and rave for the sake of it but their names won't be mentioned :pac:

I think to be blinded by loyalty and not see the mistakes Wenger and Co have made this year and the last few is a little silly and shows some have settle for 4th place and keeping the books balance while ripping of the fans for crazy ticket prices without spending the money cause our manager thinks he can do things without money. I think any Arsenal fan settles for 4th hasn't got the clubs best at heart. But I'm always watching every match and getting over to London as much as I can cause I love the Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We all have very short memories on here, when in the name of god did i say i'd prefer Hayden to Verm?

If you payed attention to anything i post you'd know I'm vermaelen's biggest fan. The lad was out of form and struggling with injuries in his latter days.

In what way exactly am I being ridiculous by expressing my disdain for one player?

You stated before that Mert and Kos was superior to Verm and Kos, despite always thinking that Mert was ****e. So I'm assuming if you prefer Hayden to Mert as Kos' partner than he comes in front of Verm too.

Yeah because it takes real balls to complain about something on an internet forum! Hahaha

Its easier to sit there whingeing about our poor form than it is to carry on supporting a club through tough times, so get off your high horse with all your "pity" bollocks because it makes you come across as a condescending prick which I'm sure you are not.

A little bit of a drama queen are ya? But i'm sure you're not really :pac:
    To sit there are take any rubbish that is served up is not supporting your club in my opinion but just making you a "yes man".
    AND you're right, i'm not condescending, i'm pragmatic and i always say what i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

A little bit of a drama queen are ya? But i'm sure you're not really :pac:
    To sit there are take any rubbish that is served up is not supporting your club in my opinion but just making you a "yes man".
    AND you're right, i'm not condescending, i'm pragmatic and i always say what i think

Drama queen?? I'm simply having "the balls" to voice my opinion.

Well sir your pragmatism can be easily mistaken for being a dick, no offense meant.

I have voiced my opinion when I wasn't happy with aspects of the club, I'm far from a yes man, but the day in day out complaining on this thread is a tiresome read. I know you'll disagree with that because negativity is your cup of tea but we'll have to agree to disagree haha

I think we have very different opinions on what supporting a club is man

Well sir your pragmatism can be easily mistaken for being a dick, no offense meant.

I have voiced my opinion when I wasn't happy with aspects of the club, I'm far from a yes man, but the day in day out complaining on this thread is a tiresome read. I know you'll disagree with that because negativity is your cup of tea but we'll have to agree to disagree haha

I think we have indeed.
    I also think the paying fans will soon let their feeling be heard too. Sometimes the only way to get change is to make it happen as sitting back like a deaf mute certainly does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Matic > Schneiderlinn
    Based on what exactly?

Schneiderlinn has been consistently the best in his position in the league for about two seasons now and is also two years younger than Matic and more mobile meaning he can play box to box more effectively. Not discounting Matic and what he offers to Chelsea but I think Schneiderlinn is a bigger talent.

I think we have indeed.
    I also think the paying fans will soon let their feeling be heard too. Sometimes the only way to get change is to make it happen as sitting back like a deaf mute certainly does not work.

Good!
    Acting all happy larry when there's a big problem never works. I'd rather see the fans kick up a storm than sit there quite.

K4t wrote: »
    Based on what exactly?

Schneiderlinn has been consistently the best in his position in the league for about two seasons now and is also two years younger than Matic and more mobile meaning he can play box to box more effectively. Not discounting Matic and what he offers to Chelsea but I think Schneiderlinn is a bigger talent.

And what is this based on?
    I'd take Matic in a heartbeat over Schneiderlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Same, but y'all know we're going to end up with Cabaye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Is Sniederlinn really a DM? Seems more box to box to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What in the sh1t have we to be positive about? Outside of the fa cup win and the highs of signing Ozil and Sanchez as marquee signings, throw in a few excellent performances here and there and what else?
    The last few years have been fcuking miserable, selling our best players and usually replacing them with cheaper/past it versions, a few humiliating defeats, yet the club still prosper and keep on charging the highest ticket prices.
    How can you expect people to keep a smiley face all the time?

anyone with common sense would do be fair :pac:. Matic is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

wonga77 wrote: »

uhh no way in hell walcott is top of that list

I think we have indeed.

im a paying fan and stopped going to matches as the performance has been a joke

What in the sh1t have we to be positive about? Outside of the fa cup win and the highs of signing Ozil and Sanchez as marquee signings, throw in a few excellent performances here and there and what else?
    The last few years have been fcuking miserable, selling our best players and usually replacing them with cheaper/past it versions, a few humiliating defeats, yet the club still prosper and keep on charging the highest ticket prices.
    How can you expect people to keep a smiley face all the time?

I think the FA Cup win has blinded some fans view. We haven't approved to be fair and we are still a good bit off been a top side. Our Manager is a massive stumbling block to this. He doesn't like to be proved wrong or be told he's wrong by anyone, he's stubbornness will be our downfall.

I don't think he go until he's good and ready, even if the fans turn on him. He's making the club money and along as the board members are making money they don't care.

im a paying fan and stopped going to matches as the performance has been a joke

I wouldn't stop watching my team even if its bad. But that's your own view.

uhh no way in hell walcott is top of that list

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/theo-walcott-is-arsenals-most-injured-player-abou-diaby-2nd-rosicky-3rd-graphic/

Yesterday French media outlet L’Equipe did a piece on Arsene Wenger’s injury woes at Arsenal.
    Using data from physioroom.com, L’Equipe have found that Theo Walcott is Arsenal’s most commonly injured player.
    Surprisingly Abou Diaby is 2nd behind his teammate, with the Frenchman suffering more long-term injuries.

Dunno, i guess it takes into account all those small injuries that keep a fella out for a game or two, was surprised to see Kos so far up the list

Quazzie wrote: »

Joe Heart make far more mistakes then Szc yet everyone thinks his as good as nauer

• Advertisement

I think he means actually paying to go the the games as opposed to watching them on tv or whatever

even if u pay £50+ ?

I think he means actually paying to go the the games as opposed to watching them on tv or whatever

bingo.

win or lose i dont care.

playing near to your best/showing effort i do care

Good!
    Acting all happy larry when there's a big problem never works. I'd rather see the fans kick up a storm than sit there quite.

I agree, I hate to complain I rather be sitting here nice and relaxed and watching us compete up the table. But we have been awful this season, I ain't certainly moaning for the hell of it. 5 draws, 2 wins and 1 loss and already so many points behind Chelsea and City. Wenger not addressing the issues from last season. We, as fans, deserve to rant and rave when are players and manager aren't performing.

even if u pay £50+ ?

Sorry I thought you meant not watching them at all. I hate seen fans pay that money to see us perform like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

K4t wrote: »
    Based on what exactly?

Matic has a lot more experience as you alluded to in age and playing for Benfica and Chelsea and performing excellently for both.

Finding someone to pick any DM in the EPL over Matic is a very tough ask considering.

The difference is Schneiderlinn may play box to box but thats not Matics role, thats what Cesc does in the pivot, Matic is nothing but a good old fashioned enforcer who protects the back four and can use the ball pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    You stated before that Mert and Kos was superior to Verm and Kos, despite always thinking that Mert was ****e. So I'm assuming if you prefer Hayden to Mert as Kos' partner than he comes in front of Verm too.

I stated Verm and Kos were ****e cuz of Verms form at the time and their positioning, i also stated i would prefer an in form verm over mert or kos so? yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Managers usually have a list that they go through. If one doesn't happen they try another.
    With regards to a DM, we have needed one for more than one season.

We have needed a defensive midfielder since Gilberto Silva left. Were a soft team with no real leaders on the pitch. Gone are the days when teams feared our presence. Looking back at our invincibles team every single player in that team could of being a club captain, we had winners and leaders all over the pitch.

Its like groundhog day these last few years with the club, for periods of the season we play great stuff and look like we are capable of winning a title only to fall to pieces. This mental strength Wenger goes on about also is absolute nonsense, these are a weak bunch of players mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Joe Heart make far more mistakes then Szc yet everyone thinks his as good as nauer

Personally I have never heard of anybody saying Joe Hart is as good as Nauer. I was Chesneys biggest critic a few years back, he has improved alot and does pull off some very important saves but he is kamikaze at times, he really does need to start improving his decision making, have lost count the amount of times he has came rushing out of goal and given penos away or got sent off, and its usually in our biggest games.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Personally I have never heard of anybody saying Joe Hart is as good as Nauer.

Just check out ITV, I think you will hear plenty of it. I seem to remember during the Germany-England friendly game, the two English panellists saying Hart would take Nauer place if he was German. Michael Ballack was laughing his head off when he heard it. Even City's manager doesn't fancy Hart, Neur is far far better GK.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    these are a weak bunch of players mentally.

or a manager who's lost the mentally, far too loyal to average players, and been out fought and out thought by his rivals.

• Advertisement

I don't think the players are mentally weak. We've seen on plenty of occasion us coming back from tough games.

For me it less mentally weak and more bad tactics. After we go a goal down its the same thing. Rush the opposition and then end up losing the ball, and get countered on. We've seen it happen against so many teams.

Like last weeks game.. We never changed our shape and we looked so easy to defend against. I'd be looking more into how we react tactically when we're down a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Just read about 15 pages of this thread since the hull game. Getting very painful to read, very little support and alleged fans slating players and the club itself. Not what supporting a club is all about but how and ever.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing the team, manager and club when it's justified and Arsenal are far from immune from criticism after the mediocre start we've had.. We're all frustrated for the same reasons and we are perfectly entitled to express out unhappiness as and when we want.. Undoubtedly some of the criticism is over the top, but for the most part it's all fairly balanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsene should really have gotten the sack for starting him as No.1 :P

Absolutely criminal to have a player like him at Arsenal.

We have 3 more years of him so we might as well really really really rreeeeeeaaaaly get used to coming up short each season.

No reason why we couldnt have signed the number of players the club needed.

Just read about 15 pages of this thread since the hull game. Getting very painful to read, very little support and alleged fans slating players and the club itself. Not what supporting a club is all about but how and ever.

little support? we have been supporting this drose of a club for the past 5+ years with little improvement.

most fans and owners from other clubs would have sacked wenger 5 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think the players are mentally weak. We've seen on plenty of occasion us coming back from tough games.

For me it less mentally weak and more bad tactics. After we go a goal down its the same thing. Rush the opposition and then end up losing the ball, and get countered on. We've seen it happen against so many teams.

Like last weeks game.. We never changed our shape and we looked so easy to defend against. I'd be looking more into how we react tactically when we're down a goal.

I think they're mentally weak in that they need to concede a goal before they loosen up and start playing. We concede the first goal in a shocking amount of games, we generally get away with it against the smaller teams but in a big game if you concede the first goal you're generally done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So you wouldn't take him if Wenger was sacked/or leaves?

it's a gamble whoever we go for. Ideally we'll find the new Wenger - unheralded but a complete genius who transforms football in the Premier League.

EDIT - Unfortunately I don't think our board is currently capable of finding someone like that

little support? we have been supporting this drose of a club for the past 5+ years with little improvement.

most fans and owners from other clubs would have sacked wenger 5 years ago!

Once he started selling are best players off is when I started to lose a little faith in Wenger, there was no fight in him trying to keep them . I think the fact he had no interest in signing a centre back or Defensive midfielder (I still believe he didn't) is coming back and biting him now, I don't think he would have singed Welbeck if Giroud wasn't injured. He's been outthought and outfought by managers now.

I think every fan of this club have been through the ringer the last few years. I'm sure some of us don't want to be complaining but we can't there and let Wenger ruin our club, remember its Arsenal not Arsene Wenger.

greendom wrote: »
    it's a gamble whoever we go for. Ideally we'll find the new Wenger - unheralded but a complete genius who transforms football in the Premier League.

EDIT - Unfortunately I don't think our board is currently capable of finding someone like that

It's gamble but top level modern football is greendom. We should be going for the best manager the club and fans deserve, we are a big club with financial means. I agree I think our board will go for someone cheap who will keep the books balanced and make 'em a few bob.

Once he started selling are best players off is when I started to lose a little faith in Wenger, there was no fight in him trying to keep him . I think the fact he had no interest in signing a centre back or Defensive midfielder (I still believe he didn't) is coming back and biting him now, I don't think he would have singed Welbeck if Giroud wasn't injured. He's been outthought and outfought by managers now.

I think every fan of this club have been through the ringer the last few years. I'm sure some of us don't want to be complaining but we can't there and let Wenger ruin our club, remember its Arsenal not Arsene Wenger.

I really don't see how you can beat him up over the selling of players? that was when the club had to be very carefully managed and finances were very tight. he had little choice but to sell. the current situation leaving us short in defensively is a different matter but I'm still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I'm sure everything was done to fill those gaps. Others don't and that's their prerogative.

It's gamble but top level modern football is greendom. We should be going for the best manager the club and fans deserve, we are a big club with financial means. I agree I think our board will go for someone cheap who will keep the books balanced and make 'em a few bob.

who's to say the best manager won't feck up ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement