Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Point being you'd rather we lost tonight, than won.

Which is just silly..

As I said above copied and pasted again

I don't really want us to lose, I want us to win every game my point was more about what I'd accept to force change and that's it.

I know a few don't like comments like that but it was my frustrated response to another **** game and team performance.

I don't need to convince anyone here of my support of this club that fact I want more from the club and the depts I'd accept as a drop to get there make me as much a fan as anyone else

Who said anybody was happy about it?

Not me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    Did he explain that at all ?

He said Wenger used to start him away from home but never believed in him enough to play him from the start at home. Then when he was subbed after Lehmann's red card in the CL final he said that was enough and he left because he no longer felt that Wenger believed in him. He stated he always wanted to be like Bergkamp and finish his career at Arsenal but the manager made it impossible to do.

He also said that the key to the Invincible season was because they had the great mix of English players combined with foreign players, physical combined with technical, and a manager who played and understood the simple 442 system that they used. When you look at that formula, it's a shame to see how far the current team is away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Soups123 wrote: »
    Not me anyway
    I think it's more pathetic to be happy with mediocrity living the same season over and over and over again

Fairly odd comment to make so if nobody has actually said they're happy :confused:

Fairly odd comment to make so if nobody has actually said they're happy :confused:

I was referring to myself, I said it would be more pathetic to accept mediocrity????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't really want us to lose, I want us to win every game my point was more about what I'd accept to force change and that's it.

I know a few don't like comments like that but it was my frustrated response to another **** game and team performance.

I don't need to convince anyone here of my support of this club that fact I want more from the club and the depts I'd accept as a drop to get there make me as much a fan as anyone else

Not doubting your support for the team, we are all in the same boat here and want whats best for the club. There must be big improvements because another mediocre season will be the straw that breaks the camels back, the majority of fans are losing faith in Wenger including myself and I am one of his biggest admirers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We have the players for a 4-4-2 bar the DM though. We just have an inferior version of the invincible's but still the players possess similar enough qualities.
    Ramsey, Sanchez,Walcott,Ozil and Welbeck could all fulfill similar rolls to Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp and Henry. Far inferior of course but a Gilberto and we could play that system with the above players.

@IAMFRIMPONG26
    Said it and will say it again we need a F****** centre back with Laurent a bloody DMF and a bloody striker

When Frimpong can spot it and our manager cant is a scary world to live in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our famed midfield were very poor tonight i.e. Jack, Santi and Aaron. It is unusual to see three players playing poorly at the same time. Poor passing, poor control and getting caught in possession is not something you would associate with those three and it's not the first time of late. I just don't think their attitude is right at the moment and they seem to be lacking confidence.

I have never seen Flamini as bad as he was tonight either. Plenty of pointing and giving instructions but his tackling and closing down was dire. I have lost all faith in him.

Monrael and Per do not work together at all. Mert seems to lack confidence in Monrael.

Was not happy with Wellbeck either tonight. Took a lot of wrong options but was fighting and trying at least. Sanchez was excellent even came back into his own box to make tackles.

I thought Campbell and Ox added a bit of urgency when introduced. Woluld like to see Campbell get a run.

There is a huge problem at the club and maybe the returning players will have a positive effect. We can only hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    When Frimpong can spot it and our manager cant is a scary world to live in :pac:

Frimpong to be our next manager ?

• Advertisement

Frimpong to be our next manager ?

Dench!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I love the champions league but all those great nights seem like a distant memory. I always want to win but can see the point soups was trying to make, there's no chance of change in the hotseat though, not at this stage anyway. However I agree with tayto, it's all a bit meh for me now, we haven't a hope in hell of winning it and I'd much prefer to concentrate on catching Chelsea.
    Tonight was another uninspiring performance but 3 points is a good days work, even if it wasn't deserved, pity we couldn't do the same against hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

The bench after Podolski scored

B0lX8f2IIAAma6g.jpg

Paleface wrote: »
    The bench after Podolski equalised won it

B0lX8f2IIAAma6g.jpg

Podolski scored the winner :D

Can kinda understand that reaction (shock) for the equaliser, for the winner they should have all just broken out laughing. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Podolski scored the winner :D

Thanks. Its late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Playing to the gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Paleface wrote: »
    The bench after Podolski scored

B0lX8f2IIAAma6g.jpg

Despite the utter rubbish performances lately it's still good to see that it means something to them too.

omega man wrote: »
    Despite the utter rubbish performances lately it's still good to see that it means something to them too.

Have we not seen similar for the last few years though? Every passionate moment of relief is a new sign :P

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »

Rosicky looks like how I feel tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was watching the match from a TV with "really bad reception" tonight, so I can't be positive, but did Ramsey actually contribute anything tonight? The reason I ask is Arseblog's ratings give more credit to Ramsey than to Wilshere. I know Wilshere gave the ball away a lot but I remember him actually being on the ball and trying to make positive passes but I only remember seeing Ramsey and hearing his name once or twice in the whole match.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Was watching the match from a TV with "really bad reception" tonight, so I can't be positive, but did Ramsey actually contribute anything tonight? The reason I ask is Arseblog's ratings give more credit to Ramsey than to Wilshere. I know Wilshere gave the ball away a lot but I remember him actually being on the ball and trying to make positive passes but I only remember seeing Ramsey and hearing his name once or twice in the whole match.

They were equally as bad, I think Arsene kept Ramsey of for fitness reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

farna_boy wrote: »

I'd agree with you. I thought Wilshere was unlucky on one or two occasions, he attempted some through balls that could have caused damage if the Anderlecht defenders hadn't been as alert and organised as they were. Ramsey on the other hand contributed nothing of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd agree with you. I thought Wilshere was unlucky on one or two occasions, he attempted some through balls that could have caused damage if the Anderlecht defenders hadn't been as alert and organised as they were. Ramsey on the other hand contributed nothing of note.

That's pretty much been the story of both there seasons so far.

Sad to say it even shocking after the form Ramsey was in last year but if I had a fully fit squad on current form Ramsey wouldn't be near my starting eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

sickens me podolski doesnt get enough time on the pitch , not saying this because he scored a winner last night , hes just a top player on his good days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

pudzey101 wrote: »
    sickens me podolski doesnt get enough time on the pitch , not sad this because he scored a winner last night , hes just a top player on his good days :)

I love his attitude but as others have said, besides his finishing he offers very little. He needs to be played with another striker but I don't think we good enough midfielders to just play 2 in the middle.

Impact sub is probably what he'll be used as.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Serious lack of pace in this squad (all over the pitch) and I think that's what's killing us at the moment.

The amount of times moves broke down last night because Welbeck or Sanchez had to turn back because there was no one supporting them. It's equally as bad when we're trying to track back. Watching Jack and Rambo trying to get back...it's almost like they're running in slow motion. I don't know what we do in training but our midfielders look bolloxed after 30 mins.

The goal we conceded was shocking and the trio of Gibbs, Monreal (I'll keep repeating he is not a f***ing centre half) and Mert should hang their heads in shame allowing their player to get the cross in.

Special mention to Martinez for a great save at the near post to keep it at 1-0.

Poldi is a goals corer pure and simple. He's the best finisher at the club and to me merits inclusion.

Ridiculous of Wenger too to wait so long on making those substitutions. I have to laugh but he doesn't rate Poldi or Campbell and yet he sends them on to save the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

yeah Pod is an excellent finisher but offers very little else to the team thw way we play, better used as an impact sub imo.
    Cannot figure out how Campbell isnt getting more gametime, if we had a fully fit group then he probably wouldnt even make the matchday squad which doesnt make any sense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't think it's a coincidence that our confidence is low while we are suffering from so many injuries. Players seem to like routine and when the team is chopped and changed sue to injuries they immediately fell vulnerable.

It's like trying to go forward with the ball knowing that a mistake will have your makeshift defense under pressure - it just leads to the inevitable mistake and then the issue magnifies itself.

The lack of leadership doesn't help.

Sometimes results like last night can ignite a team - we'll see.

We need to get our players back on the pitch from injury and at least be playing with something close to the starting 11 before we start to perform Hara-Kari and looking for AW's head.

Despite what failures happened over the summer transfer period, I still believe AW understand the lack of depth in certain positions. The only failure AW has is that he is incapable of making a bad deal - he needs to understand that sometimes you need to pay more if you're in dire need

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Despite what failures happened over the summer transfer period, I still believe AW understand the lack of depth in certain positions. The only failure AW has is that he is incapable of making a bad deal - he needs to understand that sometimes you need to pay more if you're in dire need

Very true. He wouldn't pay £10m above what he thinks a player is worth, but he would happily spend £10-15m on a player that is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Basil3 wrote: »
    Very true. He wouldn't pay £10m above what he thinks a player is worth, but he would happily spend £10-15m on a player that is rubbish.

Arshavin is the only player i can think of that he bought for in or around that price that was rubbish, but looked quality when we got him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO jack needs to be taken out.

He gives the ball away too much. Alexis does too but there's an upside.

Hopefully the next few weeks will see

Arteta - Rambo
    Walcott - Santi - Alexis
    Welbeck

That might provide a bit of cohesion which will hopefully get us back to te point where we can control things against weaker teams and pick up 3 points instead of 1.

Though I feel Wenger will persist with Wilshire.

Anyone notice how slowly our players are being returned. Like Arteta had no setback but wasn't played last night. No Walcott yet, no Diaby.

This might be Shad's influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why is jack getting praise for trying if he's going to fcuk it up? Özil Ramsey et al are more aware what's going to work so won't be like an attention starved puppy chasing every ball. Wilshere needs to develop more of w footballing brain and awareness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think we all need one of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Will post it later when I have my laptop but fairly sure the stats don't back up the belief that Wilshere loses it a lot, Ramsey is a far bigger culprit

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

gosplan wrote: »
    ...Anyone notice how slowly our players are being returned. Like Arteta had no setback but wasn't played last night. No Walcott yet, no Diaby.

I'd like to think so although I think Ramsey has been rushed back and I cannot understand how he was left on for 90 mins last night.

Thought I was the only one not that happy with Jack. Way too slow With the ball. Can't wait for a Ramsey arteta pivot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Thought I was the only one not that happy with Jack. Way too slow With the ball. Can't wait for a Ramsey arteta pivot

To be fair Raf all three have been rubbish this season and all of Arsenal's midfield are slow on the ball, its absolute crazy we are still playing this kind of football as it doesn't work. Sanchez is the only player at Arsenal that can hold his head high at this moment in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

gosplan wrote: »
    IMO jack needs to be taken out.

He gives the ball away too much. Alexis does too but there's an upside.

Hopefully the next few weeks will see

Arteta - Rambo
    Walcott - Santi - Alexis
    Welbeck

That might provide a bit of cohesion which will hopefully get us back to te point where we can control things against weaker teams and pick up 3 points instead of 1.

Though I feel Wenger will persist with Wilshire.

Anyone notice how slowly our players are being returned. Like Arteta had no setback but wasn't played last night. No Walcott yet, no Diaby.

Welbeck and Arteta should be squad players at best at other clubs but it shames our club that they are first teamers, not good enough. Walcott is so injury prone you just know he be out injured again sadly. Santi is way better as a impact player at this point. Ramsey, could last season have been a fluke, hopefully not but he hasn't started well. Alexis is an amazing player with skill and heart, how long before a bigger and better club come In for him.

I think we should write off Diaby, Wenger just won't take a chance with him. If he feels that way why didn't he go all out and buy a Defensive midfielder. I think transfers need to be taken away from Wenger, the man is a danger to himself as he's not ruthless enough.

I'm seriously worried for us, even agaisn't Sunderland I fear for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

AdamD wrote: »
    Will post it later when I have my laptop but fairly sure the stats don't back up the belief that Wilshere loses it a lot, Ramsey is a far bigger culprit

I tell you one thing Ramsey has been nothing short of appalling this season. The inconsistency in his and Wilsheres play is scary at times, when there on form they can change a game but when there off they look like Sunday league players.

Cant remember what game it was but one of Ramseys performance this season was one of the worst I have ever seen in an Arsenal jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Looper007 wrote: »
    Welbeck and Arteta should be squad players at best at other clubs but it shames our club that they are first teamers, not good enough. Walcott is so injury prone you just know he be out injured again sadly. Santi is way better as a impact player at this point. Ramsey, could last season have been a fluke, hopefully not but he hasn't started well. Alexis is an amazing player with skill and heart, how long before a bigger and better club come In for him.

I think we should write off Diaby, Wenger just won't take a chance with him. If he feels that way why didn't he go all out and buy a Defensive midfielder. I think transfers need to be taken away from Wenger, the man is a danger to himself as he's not ruthless enough.

This is worryingly spot on. I agree on everything bar the wenger part, my opinion of course.

I think Arteta will make a big difference to our midfield when he returns. he brings a level of direction and control to our attacks that Flamini is incapable of. Given the fact that Flamini's more defensive attributes are on the wane also, I think MA will make a big impact on performance.

We need to be really careful with Walcott's return. I imagine(hope) he will be used sparingly for the first 3 or 4 weeks while he regains match fitness and strength,

To be fair Raf all three have been rubbish this season and all of Arsenal's midfield are slow on the ball, its absolute crazy we are still playing this kind of football as it doesn't work. Sanchez is the only player at Arsenal that can hold his head high at this moment in time

Agreed the whole midfield has been appalling but leaving out the big games last year Ramsey and arteta was a very good partnership. Think we need to go back to basics and not being playing players that overcomplicate things and slow down our play too much. I don't see how jack has justified breaking up our midfield from last year.

It is was it is till Jan earliest. We can discuss the current reality too.

Equally....

Arteta might be our most important player in terms of wins with and without

Ramsey shouldn't be shot for going through a bit of **** form, just like Yaya.

Caz IS an impact/backup player. We just have injuries.

We can't do much about a DM or CB until January now which I believe is Wenger's fault.
    Something I have noticed again this season is the poor quality of our corners. It's been the same for years now. Why is this not sorted by now? We can't seem to beat the first man and when we eventually do the ball sails over everyone's head and ends up being an attack for the opposition.
    Santi should not be allowed take a free-kick or corner again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Santi is an excellent free kick taker, It's just the corners we can't get right, not even Sanchez or Ozil...

We can't do much about a DM or CB until January now which I believe is Wenger's fault.
    Something I have noticed again this season is the poor quality of our corners. It's been the same for years now. Why is this not sorted by now? We can't seem to beat the first man and when we eventually do the ball sails over everyone's head and ends up being an attack for the opposition.
    Santi should not be allowed take a free-kick or corner again.

Free kicks? Like the FA Cup final ? like the beauty last night that Sanchez didn't connect with properly ?

Free kicks? Like the FA Cup final ? like the beauty last night that Sanchez didn't connect with properly ?

I wasn't impressed.

• Advertisement

I wasn't impressed.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement