Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We can't do much about a DM or CB until January now which I believe is Wenger's fault.
    Something I have noticed again this season is the poor quality of our corners. It's been the same for years now. Why is this not sorted by now? We can't seem to beat the first man and when we eventually do the ball sails over everyone's head and ends up being an attack for the opposition.
    Santi should not be allowed take a free-kick or corner again.

I reckon things like corner routines are very un-Wenger.

It's so French but there's just no va-va-voom to be had from a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

My problem is and always has been and at this stage I think will be, is that the club I support but a vanity project to Wenger. I know he has every intention of doing well but he has no malleability what so ever and everything is totally on his terms or not at all.

I have never called for the ousting before but I think every thing needs a change sometimes and we have reached that point. The man is so stubborn and I don't blame him, a easy habit to get into he achieved so much so quickly, he is not gonna like part timers, fans and pundits telling him what to do. He prides himself on his relationship with his players and making good purchases, 2 outlooks which have let us lose all our good players and not bring in suitable replacements. We are totally and utterly short players again. Bizarre

The fact he told Amy Lawrence during the week that he owes a lot to Vierea for how good he ended up being, tells me that while he is an amazing manager and the players truly thank and love him, he also found an incredible crop of players and winners. Not luck obviously but certainly good fortune, in a different market where other teams would not be able to catch up on you in a window.

He looks frustrated and I fully expect this year to be his last and that is the general feeling around North London as well.

We have become so 1 dimensional and boring as well. I am happy to take a hit of a couple of years for a new long term approach.

I mean, look at the current players, how many of them are from his school of production. Wojech, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott. All injury prone and a little flimsy and terribly inconsistent. The rest of the team are new additions its not like we will fall apart under a different approach. Do any of the above players strike real fear into your direct rivals over a course of a season? Is that the spine of a team doing anything other than getting injured and clawing back 4th place, where our luck is bound to run out eventually.

Sorry for the long post but the last thing I will say and I really don't know why it has come up again. Who writes the famous manuel for 'how to support your club'? I find it strange when posters belittle people for complaining. I pay 600£ a season for half a season ticket and I think that we are going around in circles and some vital mistakes have cost us progressing and I continue to think that. If you think the season ticket belongs to someone with a more confident and cheerer out look, I think they will get a shock with the people they are sitting beside are also sick of it or else they have managed to avoid an emotional distress over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    I reckon things like corner routines are very un-Wenger.

It's so French but there's just no va-va-voom to be had from a corner.

So play it short and keep possession instead of giving the ball away and getting caught on the counter. God damn French,

Jesus, so am I right in thinking Anderlecht in the bar and forced a good save from Martinez at 1-0? Such small margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Jesus, so am I right in thinking Anderlecht in the bar and forced a good save from Martinez at 1-0? Such small margins.

And missed a sitter

• Advertisement

Jaysus button we need to get you a tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

My problem is and always has been and at this stage I think will be, is that the club I support but a vanity project to Wenger. I know he has every intention of doing well but he has no malleability what so ever and everything is totally on his terms or not at all.

I have never called for the ousting before but I think every thing needs a change sometimes and we have reached that point. The man is so stubborn and I don't blame him, a easy habit to get into he achieved so much so quickly, he is not gonna like part timers, fans and pundits telling him what to do. He prides himself on his relationship with his players and making good purchases, 2 outlooks which have let us lose all our good players and not bring in suitable replacements. We are totally and utterly short players again. Bizarre

The fact he told Amy Lawrence during the week that he owes a lot to Vierea for how good he ended up being, tells me that while he is an amazing manager and the players truly thank and love him, he also found an incredible crop of players and winners. Not luck obviously but certainly good fortune, in a different market where other teams would not be able to catch up on you in a window.

He looks frustrated and I fully expect this year to be his last and that is the general feeling around North London as well.

We have become so 1 dimensional and boring as well. I am happy to take a hit of a couple of years for a new long term approach.

I mean, look at the current players, how many of them are from his school of production. Wojech, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott. All injury prone and a little flimsy and terribly inconsistent. The rest of the team are new additions its not like we will fall apart under a different approach. Do any of the above players strike real fear into your direct rivals over a course of a season? Is that the spine of a team doing anything other than getting injured and clawing back 4th place, where our luck is bound to run out eventually.

Sorry for the long post but the last thing I will say and I really don't know why it has come up again. Who writes the famous manuel for 'how to support your club'? I find it strange when posters belittle people for complaining. I pay 600£ a season for half a season ticket and I think that we are going around in circles and some vital mistakes have cost us progressing and I continue to think that. If you think the season ticket belongs to someone with a more confident and cheerer out look, I think they will get a shock with the people they are sitting beside are also sick of it or else they have managed to avoid an emotional distress over the past few years.

Ramsey, walcott, ozil, cazola, wellbeck, Shz all can strike fear to anyone if they was managed correctly and deployed properly on the pitch .

bucket stops with the manager.

Ozil is a prime example of this.

Sensational under morinho but terrible under wenger.

You just do go from worlds greatest assisted player to a crap average player in one season.

Same happened with Ashavin.

Its wenger i tell u. He is the problem.

If Morinho was in charge of this current arsenal side, they be top 3 in the table right now and would have spanked anderlect comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Free kicks? Like the FA Cup final ? like the beauty last night that Sanchez didn't connect with properly ?

Too few and far between for me.
    Before the Cup Final or since when did he score from a free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one not that happy with Jack. Way too slow With the ball. Can't wait for a Ramsey arteta pivot
    Looper007 wrote: »
    To be fair Raf all three have been rubbish this season and all of Arsenal's midfield are slow on the ball, its absolute crazy we are still playing this kind of football as it doesn't work. Sanchez is the only player at Arsenal that can hold his head high at this moment in time

Wilshere has been having a good season, far from 'rubbish'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Too few and far between for me.
    Before the Cup Final or since when did he score from a free?

There's not that many who are prolific free kick scorers. The Juninho who played for Lyon is one who springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Keane & Vieira - Best of Enemies is on ITV4 after the Europa League games (22:30)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Interesting comments from Per about his form.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/10/bfg-theres-something-missing-from-my-game/

Might explain Ozil being so poor too.

Before someone comes in giving out saying they should give everything and always be motivated cause if I got the chance blah blah blah, you should consider the run they've had and the reality of sports psychology.

Long run of top form through the season, month of poor form, strong finish and a cup (and I don't give a sh1t what Bob C says about Per - one goal conceded in our last five league games is a strong finish), then successful WC campaign and back to it.

Not sure if you can keep that bit f motivation, the extra 0.01% that makes you a great footballer across two teams and two seasons without something giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

AdamD wrote: »
    Wilshere has been having a good season, far from 'rubbish'.

Wilshere is not playing much better than Ramsey atm, its just Ramsey looks miles off the incredible high he had hit last year. Any run of decent form for Jack would look good as he has done near on nothing for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

There's not that many who are prolific free kick scorers. The Juninho who played for Lyon is one who springs to mind

Pirlo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Pirlo!

Riquelme was the best. Although he wasn't all that good at penalties....Thankfully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Jack is technically gifted. No doubt about that.

Yet when a player dosen't have the intelligence to utilize technical ability efficiently, then they are little more than average.

I'm not saying he's some ignorant dope, rather, that he simply dosen't have the footballing brain to complement his natural ability. Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg and Overmars had the intelligence necessary to do so.

For me, Jack is little better than Lallana. He has his heart in the right place, but I don't see him ever becoming the player we thought he would become. Paul Scholes V.2 he is not.

Have you seen the way he comes across in his interviews? his regurgitation of soundbites and what-they-want-to-hear's? his inability to spot the right pass (at times), his poor judgement (at times) as to when to pass and his timing of passes? Obviously he does brilliant things and my points only apply a minority of the time. Yet it is that Minority of the time which, for me, distinguishes the average from the good, the good from the brilliant and the brilliant from the world class.
    By no means is he the only one in our squad who is guilty of doing these things, no player is perfect after all. Rather, seeing as the discussion of the past few pages have been on him, I'd thought I'd give my five cents.
    For what it's worth, there is a minor improvement in his overall play, yet not what is necessary to start a match in my opinion.

(10 cents says AdamD makes a sarcastic, condescending reply to this)

Dapics wrote: »
    Jack is technically gifted. No doubt about that.

Yet when a player dosen't have the intelligence to utilize technical ability efficiently, then they are little more than average.

I'm not saying he's some ignorant dope, rather, that he simply dosen't have the footballing brain to complement his natural ability. Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg and Overmars had the intelligence necessary to do so.

For me, Jack is little better than Lallana. He has his heart in the right place, but I don't see him ever becoming the player we thought he would become. Paul Scholes V.2 he is not.

Have you seen the way he comes across in his interviews? his regurgitation of soundbites and what-they-want-to-hear's? his inability to spot the right pass (at times), his poor judgement (at times) as to when to pass and his timing of passes? Obviously he does brilliant things and my points only apply a minority of the time. Yet it is that Minority of the time which, for me, distinguishes the average from the good, the good from the brilliant and the brilliant from the world class.
    By no means is he the only one in our squad who is guilty of doing these things, no player is perfect after all. Rather, seeing as the discussion of the past few pages have been on him, I'd thought I'd give my five cents.
    For what it's worth, there is a minor improvement in his overall play, yet not what is necessary to start a match in my opinion.

(10 cents says AdamD makes a sarcastic, condescending reply to this)

Spot on mate, exactly how I feel about him. The level he is playing at now is his peak in a few years which isnt anything to write home about.

Interesting stat, i just think we look a far better team without him in it.
    B0qeiEfCAAAeLui.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dapics wrote: »

Have you seen the way he comes across in his interviews? his regurgitation of soundbites and what-they-want-to-hear's?

Harsh, you could say the same for 90% of sportspeople

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

wonga77 wrote: »
    Harsh, you could say the same for 90% of sportspeople

Fair point.

The questions they get asked are the same every time so their responses are always gonna sound repetitive.

I'd love if Sky/BT or whoever when doing the post match interviews really took the players to task over what went on during the game. Would make for some fantastic telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Interviewer - That looked like a handball, should it have been a penalty to the opposition?
    Player - deffo, I knew the ref was blindsided but im such a sneaky cnut I knew id get away with it, haha
    Interviewer - Any complaints about the red card?
    Player - Nah, he's a right d1ckhead, didnt hit him half hard enough, anyway the nephews christening is on the weekend so tis a handy time to miss a few games.
    Interviewer - How did the manager set ye up differently before the game?
    Player - Havent a clue lad, I was on snapchat, didnt hear a thing the fcuker said

It would make things far more entertaining :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Raf32 wrote: »
    Spot on mate, exactly how I feel about him. The level he is playing at now is his peak in a few years which isnt anything to write home about.

Interesting stat, i just think we look a far better team without him in it.
    B0qeiEfCAAAeLui.png

Regardless about how I feel about Wilshere, I think these type of statistics are completely useless and inaccurate. It may be true that Wilshere had a bad day that one day and because of it Arsenal lost, but Wilshere may also have been playing another day, had a fantastic game and Giroud scored a hat trick of own goals and that is why we lost.

Stats can tell us a lot but when you have 11 different players on the field, going through good bad or indifferent days, I think singling out one player and saying that Arsenal are better of worse off without him is basically wrong. If that player was having such a detrimental effect on the team there are plenty of other stats that would reflect that. Having to resort to that type of stat seems to grasping at straws to be honest.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Regardless about how I feel about Wilshere, I think these type of statistics are completely useless and inaccurate. It may be true that Wilshere had a bad day that one day and because of it Arsenal lost, but Wilshere may also have been playing another day, had a fantastic game and Giroud scored a hat trick of own goals and that is why we lost.

Stats can tell us a lot but when you have 11 different players on the field, going through good bad or indifferent days, I think singling out one player and saying that Arsenal are better of worse off without him is basically wrong. If that player was having such a detrimental effect on the team there are plenty of other stats that would reflect that. Having to resort to that type of stat seems to grasping at straws to be honest.

Anytime he plays I feel our play is too compressed and our build up too slow. I think its no coincidence the goals come flowing with Aaron in his usual position and no one just running into people and on the floor for half the game but thats just my opinion. Brilliant backup though.

gosplan wrote: »
    Interesting comments from Per about his form.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/10/bfg-theres-something-missing-from-my-game/

Might explain Ozil being so poor too.

Before someone comes in giving out saying they should give everything and always be motivated cause if I got the chance blah blah blah, you should consider the run they've had and the reality of sports psychology.

Long run of top form through the season, month of poor form, strong finish and a cup (and I don't give a sh1t what Bob C says about Per - one goal conceded in our last five league games is a strong finish), then successful WC campaign and back to it.

Not sure if you can keep that bit f motivation, the extra 0.01% that makes you a great footballer across two teams and two seasons without something giving.
    Well Jesus man you can't seem to let it go... :o

farna_boy wrote: »

you can hardly call the stats inaccurate - it's the interpretation of them that is key. Obviously there are many other factors going on that can influence games but the difference between goals scored and conceded when Jack is on the pitch to when he isn't is so stark that it needs to be looked at further. it can't just be coincidence, surely ?

Arsene hopeful that Koscielny will be available after the next international break. FFS that's a huge blow

Arsene hopeful that Koscielny will be available after the next international break. FFS that's a huge blow

Bound to happen, and we are paying for Arsene's incompetence once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

To be fair it was pathetic celebrating an equaliser against Anderlecht. Should have just ran straight back to the halfway line and get ready for the restart.

You'd like to think that there was a massive post-mortem in Colney on Thursday after that performance but you know there wasn't.

Welbeck, Alexis and Chambers look like the only ones that can put in a full stint for 90 minutes. I'd love to know what we do (or don't do) in training because some of our players look so far off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

i think we're at the bottom of a slump now - hopefully - and we'll improve over coming games.

• Advertisement

Roaster wrote: »
    To be fair it was pathetic celebrating an equaliser against Anderlecht. Should have just ran straight back to the halfway line and get ready for the restart.

You'd like to think that there was a massive post-mortem in Colney on Thursday after that performance but you know there wasn't.

Welbeck, Alexis and Chambers look like the only ones that can put in a full stint for 90 minutes. I'd love to know what we do (or don't do) in training because some of our players look so far off the pace.

not sure about that -we seem to end matches better than we start them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Forsythe needs to be given time to sort the fitness /injury /physio situation out. He can't be just expected to come into Arsenal just before the start of the season, flick a switch, and fix everything........

Agree with your post, as for training, apparently we do too much and that's why our players seem off pace because they're overworked and it would also explain the injuries.

G1032 wrote: »
    Forsythe needs to be given time to sort the fitness /injury /physio situation out. He can't be just expected to come into Arsenal just before the start of the season, flick a switch, and fix everything........

it's going to take the guts of a season i'd say to get his methods implemented.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Agree with your post, as for training, apparently we do too much and that's why our players seem off pace because they're overworked and it would also explain the injuries.

Never seen any evidence of this apart from some rumour about a comment Cesc made when joining Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Just as a matter of interest, who said this? I'm not saying it's correct, I'm not saying it's incorrect, but I've never heard this before.........

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Never seen any evidence of this apart from some rumour about a comment Cesc made when joining Barca

I think that Barca sycophant, Graham Hunter, brought it up when Cesc joined Barca

G1032 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, who said this? I'm not saying it's correct, I'm not saying it's incorrect, but I've never heard this before.........

I honestly don't know where it came from, I've just heard it plenty of times, and i think most recently one of the Germans mentioned it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I thought Per's analysis of Arsenal's recent form was quite interesting, particularly the point about trying to play through the middle on the edge of the box, rather than down the flanks.

This is one Arsenal trait that I think Ozil essential for - the overloading in wide positions (also a Barca/Munich ploy). You sometimes saw him, Cazorla, and Alexis or Gibbs or whoever trade passses back and forward between each other on the corners of the box enticing the defenders out a little. Try that in the 'd' on the edge of the box and a break is immediately on and it's three people running directly at Flamini/Arteta and Per. It doesn't matter who the DM is, that's a problem for them.

Wilshere (and I've watched every Arsenal game this season) tends to pick the ball up centrally and drive forward centrally, so he compresses the space ahead of him as well as bringing the intricate play more centrally - making it more difficult to create. Having said that, when it comes off, you get the type of interplay between himself and Giroud that produced the goal against Norwich last season. I still think it's too much of a sacrifice to the balance of the team to have him in there at the moment. Even for England, I didn't see any of the things that the press were saying he did at the base of the midfield. For me, he seemed to just be roaming around doing his usual thing just slightly further back. And when he went out of position, the pundits started saying how brilliant the English midfield swapping of position was.

I think Ramsey pops up wide more than Jack or, more regularly last season, arrives late into the box to profit from overloading elsewhere. I also think himself and Jack haven't figured out a way to work together. Santi and Ozil are good at getting out of people's way whereas I find Jack a bit more static when he's looking for and receiving possession. Ramsey works better with one of Arteta/Flamini and Oezil in front than Jack does.

Alexis is a phenomenon, no doubt, but he is liable to lose the ball centrally and the way Arsenal are set up, that can be problematic - so it really is an issue trying to balance everyone's strengths and dealing with the injuries they have at the moment.

Arsenal were solid last year defensively (for the most part) and the difference this season is simply the understanding between players and the balance within the team. It's not critical or terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Koscielny until after the next International break, so that's mid-november.

What do you reckon Wenger does until then. Keeps playing Monreal there? and Chambers at Right-Back

or Chambers at Centre-Back and Bellerin at right-back or

Hayden as an introduction?

• Advertisement

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Koscielny until after the next International break, so that's mid-november.

What do you reckon Wenger does until then. Keeps playing Monreal there? and Chambers at Right-Back

or Chambers at Centre-Back and Bellerin at right-back or

Hayden as an introduction?

I'd prefer Bellerin RB and Chambers CB but i think we'll get Chambers RB and Monreal/Hayden CB. Jenkinson on loan was silly with fcuk all CB cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd prefer Bellerin RB and Chambers CB but i think we'll get Chambers RB and Monreal/Hayden CB. Jenkinson on loan was silly with fcuk all CB cover.

Nearly as silly as not strengthening. But anyway. We have what we have. I think I'd prefer Chambers at CB as its a far more important position than full back. Play the guy who's actually a CB there and cover RB with Bellerin/Flamini if needed.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Nearly as silly as not strengthening. But anyway. We have what we have. I think I'd prefer Chambers at CB as its a far more important position than full back. Play the guy who's actually a CB there and cover RB with Bellerin/Flamini if needed.

Was the cause of the Anderlecht goal. Couldn't cut out the cross or tackle the man at all. Too slow. He would also be a liability at RB now. Flamini should be finished playing for Arsenal.

Was the cause of the Anderlecht goal. Couldn't cut out the cross or tackle the man at all. Too slow. He would also be a liability at RB now. Flamini should be finished playing for Arsenal.

If you're going to blame anyone for that goal start with Monreal, Gibbs and Per.

How the 3 of them allowed your man to turn and get that cross in I'll never know.

If you're going to blame anyone for that goal start with Monreal, Gibbs and Per.

How the 3 of them allowed your man to turn and get that cross in I'll never know.

Yes indeed BUT Flamini allowed him cross. Didn't even challenge.

Yes indeed BUT Flamini allowed him cross. Didn't even challenge.

Flamini was in the box with Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It was Monreal that didnt cut the cross out.

Walcott has travelled with the squad to Sunderland. Looks like he'll get some time from the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why in every picture of Jack Wilshere I see is his tongue sticking out???

My eager dog analogy is true it seems

Flamini was in the box with Chambers.

Was watching on a bad stream and thought it was Flamini. Apologies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement