Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's great that we're finishing the weekend in the top 4, it's a confidence booster for the lads.

Have a feeling that West Ham will start to fall away now, but Southampton could be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Chambers has more prem goals than Balo this year!haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's great that we're finishing the weekend in the top 4, it's a confidence booster for the lads.

Have a feeling that West Ham will start to fall away now, but Southampton could be a different story.

Nice balance to the Southampton side.
    Every year we have an unexpected team near the top (West Brom last year) for awhile but after a few defeats they drop down. Southampton will finish in the top 7 i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Cant believe Barca let this lad go for only 30 million, he is every bit as good as Di Maria, even better imo. Great win, delighted with that.

I get the feeling Barca have so many top players that they loose sight of what they got.

Such a horrible club.

Anyways, yeah Alexis is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nice balance to the Southampton side.
    Every year we have an unexpected team near the top (West Brom last year) for awhile but after a few defeats they drop down. Southampton will finish in the top 7 i'd say.

Their December schedule is horrific.

City, Arsenal, Utd, Burnley, Everton, Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd

That's from 30 Nov to 10 Jan

If you discount the last Itd match which they have 10 days off before, they pretty much play the first 8 in a month.

Btw, did we just complete a match with no injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Alexis is so good

If we could get ozil on form and walcott back we have potential to be unreal going forward

gosplan wrote: »
    Their December schedule is horrific.

City, Arsenal, Utd, Burnley, Everton, Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd

That's from 30 Nov to 10 Jan

If you discount the last Itd match which they have 10 days off before, they pretty much play the first 8 in a month.

Btw, did we just complete a match with no injuries?

Didn't want to mention that but we did which is great.
    Confidence levels rising now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm gonna ****e all over the good vibes here and say lads it was Burnley; bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Best performance of the season. Even before the goal came rather than thinking "It's not gonna be our day" it felt more like it was definitely going to happen. No surprise who provided the goal. The smallest man in the box getting above both CB's to head home. Magnificent.

Great to see Theo looking sharp enough and I think Podolski deserves more of a chance. Maybe a start at home to Anderlecht?

First time we've played with a real swagger as we did in the last 20 minutes there. Hopefully the lads will be full of confidence after that one.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    I'm gonna ****e all over the good vibes here and say lads it was Burnley; bit of perspective.

Yeah but we can't complain about looking **** in a 2-0 vrs Sunderland and then turn around and say 'Oh it was just Burnley'.

The fact is that it clicked a lot today and we've been waiting for that. Walcott came back, Pod looked sharp and the Ox even put in a good cross at one point.

Of course that's not the best we'd hope to play all season and it won't be the best opposition but it feels like a step forward which none of our other wins have.

Come on Arsenal thread!!! Get positive!

We could come anywhere from 2nd to 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Its definitely progress though.

and Sanchez

Raf32 wrote: »
    We could come anywhere from 2nd to 4th.

More positive than that - you're not even trying!!!

If Utd win tomorrow we're level with City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Absolutely correct mate.

But, Alexis. Can't help but feel good with that guy on our team

More positive than that - you're not even trying!!!

If Utd win tomorrow we're level with City.

Second is positive, its the new first if you dont look at Chelsea :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

When you consider how we played against Anderlecht and Sunderland this was a massive improvement. We rarely let Burnley in and spent most of the game in there half.

Hopefully this is a turning point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

CatInABox wrote: »

Can't see Chelsea or City finishing outside the top four but it would be funny if ourselves and Southampton were the other two for the Champions League places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sanogo pushing Campbell off the bench is disconcerting. A lad with bags of talent and a world cup under his belt being left out for an unproven, flimsy and inexperienced striker is just plain odd.

I know I give sanogo a lot of stick on here but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying Campbell is simply a better player. Sanogo should make the bench for fa cup games, not league games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Love the Guardians description of Sanchez:
    The ball would not go in for them during the first half, despite the relentlessness of Sánchez, who looked like a PlayStation player with the speed button held down. The in-form Chile forward, who played in a central role off Welbeck, was at the heart of everything.

Dont think Wenger rates Campbell tbh. Would be shocked if he was here next season.

• Advertisement

Dont think Wenger rates Campbell tbh. Would be shocked if he was here next season.

Because in typical Wenger style he's favouring a young french player over somebody with genuine talent

I know its worked before and I hope I'm proven wrong by him!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Because in typical Wenger style he's favouring a young french player over somebody with genuine talent

It's also about having a CF on te bench.

It's also about having a CF on te bench.

Campbell is a striker, he's just been forced out on the wing a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Its a balance issue.. Nothing more.

We already had Walcott on the bench so Campbell was never going to play over him anyway. At least with Sanogo we'd have someone similar to Welbeck to come on if need be.

I really don't buy the argument that Wenger is favouring Sanogo because of his age or nationality. Campbell looked good in the world cup but he's not done anything particularly fantastic this season with us. He certainly has potential but Arsene watches him every day in training and I'm sure he'd put him in the team if he was banging in goals or playing wonderfully on the training ground. Sanogo, while clearly needing to improve has shown he has a fantastic physique and level of fitness for someone his age. He has scored goals at French U21 level so maybe in time he'll start to score at this level.
    I would argue that the chances are pretty high that neither player will make it at Arsenal in the long run but it's not fair to say Wenger is favouring one just because he's French. Maybe he simply thinks he's better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I can see Campbell getting his chance after Christmas. I'm surprised he isn't getting a little bit more gametime though!

Monreal was solid again today. Been our best centre back for a few games now, albeit we are lucky we havent met the toughest competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Bayern Munich 0 - 1 Borussia Dortmund - Halftime score.

Campbell is a striker, he's just been forced out on the wing a lot

Striker is a very loose definition these days though.

Look at it this way

Walcott better to come on if we need a winger
    Pod better if we need a goal
    Sanogo better to replace Welbeck

Campbell just taking up space on the bench. He's not getting on.

Id wengers rates sanogo over Campbell that's good enough for me he sees both every day

• Advertisement

Id wengers rates sanogo over Campbell that's good enough for me he sees both every day

I get you but it's like saying he rates Kos over Flamini.

They're just totally different players that perform different functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I really don't buy the argument that Wenger is favouring Sanogo because of his age or nationality. Campbell looked good in the world cup but he's not done anything particularly fantastic this season with us.

Hard to do anything of note from the bench or the stands! Anytime he has came on he has changed the game in a positive way for us, especially against Sunderland and Hull iirc.

Lets not forget missing from the starting 11 today were

Debuchy
    Kos
    Ramsey
    Walcott
    Giroud

All starters probably so we're still down half our strongest team

Debuchy
    Kos
    Ramsey
    Walcott
    Giroud

+ Ozil

Bayern Munich 0 - 1 Borussia Dortmund - Halftime score.

1-1. Lewandowski

Debuchy
    Kos
    Ramsey
    Walcott
    Giroud

Funnily enough I don't think Ramsey is a starter at the moment.

The 4-1-4-1 is gone in favour of a 4-3-3 which because Sanchez is behind Welbeck is actually more of a 4-4-2.

That's how we started today.

With Sanchez being so potent up front, le boss thinks Arteta and Flamini make more sense as the midfield duo.

Can I be the first to say I love this. The problem for the last 10 years is that Ramsey would keep playing week in week out because as our stand out player of last season we'd be utterly reliant on him. Now no-one is safe because we're adding world class talent and if Rambo wants back in, he's going to have to get a handle on his game and be a lot more solid when his chance comes.

The 4-1-4-1 is gone in favour of a 4-3-3 which because Sanchez is behind Welbeck is actually more of a 4-4-2.

With Sanchez being so potent up front, le boss thinks Arteta and Flamini make more sense as the midfield duo.

Can I be the first to say I love this. The problem for the last 10 years is that Ramsey would keep playing week in week out because as our stand out player of last season we'd be utterly reliant on him. Now no-one is safe because we're adding world class talent and if Rambo wants back in, he's going to have to get a handle on his game and be a lot more solid when his chance comes.

There is not a hope in hell flamini is taking out Ramsey or wilshere

+ Ozil

Prob 6 starters that's alot

There is not a hope in hell flamini is taking out Ramsey or wilshere

Have to agree here. Just think he is letting Ramsey recover over the easier games and will be back starting with Arteta hopefully for Swansea.

• Advertisement

Have to agree here. Just think he is letting Ramsey recover over the easier games and will be back starting with Arteta hopefully for Swansea.

Especially considering Ramsey looked a lot better today. Easy enough game to come into but he will take confidence from it all the same.

Especially considering Ramsey looked a lot better today. Easy enough game to come into but he will take confidence from it all the same.

Yup agreed, have every faith we will see last years Aaron Ramsey when its back to him and Arteta with a number 10 infront.

so Sanchez is ripping it up in the "10"

Ozil an be the best "10" in the world

What do we do when ozil comes back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

so Sanchez is ripping it up in the "10"

Ozil an be the best "10" in the world

What do we do when ozil comes back

easy. . . we put him on the wing!!! :D

With Sanchez being so potent up front, le boss thinks Arteta and Flamini make more sense as the midfield duo

Things only got better when Arteta went off. Play moved faster with more fluid passing. Flamini and Arteta should only play together when we park the bus AND we never play that way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didn't get to see the match today, did Alexis play through the middle?

• Advertisement

Things only got better when Arteta went off. Play moved faster with more fluid passing. Flamini and Arteta should only play together when we park the bus AND we never play that way.

But Arteta's a way zippier passer than Ramsey?

You sure it wasn't just fresh legs?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the match today, did Alexis play through the middle?

Yup, pretty much a second striker.

I'm gonna be typical me and just say one thing lads. It was Burnley at the Emirates. :P

Cant help but see where Jacks fits in for the next game? In for Santi?

Yup agreed, have every faith we will see last years Aaron Ramsey when its back to him and Arteta with a number 10 infront.

But not with Sanchez in front of them and no real no.10. And right now that's where Sanchez plays.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement