Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gosplan wrote: »
    But not with Sanchez in front of them and no real no.10. And right now that's where Sanchez plays.

I think it could work until Ozil comes back. Flamini and Ramsey could rotate as they have the most energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Raf32 wrote: »
    I think it could work until Ozil comes back. Flamini and Ramsey could rotate as they have the most energy.

Agree.

For a couple of years, I've been defending Arteta. He has been hugely important for us as. Generally I think that the people who want a Gilberto style player back fail to realise that Arteta does a huge amount going forward for us and also in terms of ball retention and overall pace of the game.

You can't just take that out and assume it'll be fine.

If you lose that, it has to be made up elsewhere and funnily enough I think Sanchez might be the end of Arteta.

If he and Theo are on the pitch it's worth investing in another shield for the defence. Arguably though it mightn't have been up to now.

Agree.

For a couple of years, I've been defending Arteta. He has been hugely important for us as. Generally I think that the people who want a Gilberto style player back fail to realise that Arteta does a huge amount going forward for us and also in terms of ball retention and overall pace of the game.

You can't just take that out and assume it'll be fine.

If you lose that, it has to be made up elsewhere and funnily enough I think Sanchez might be the end of Arteta.

If he and Theo are on the pitch it's worth investing in another shield for the defence. Arguably though it mightn't have been up to now.

I love Arteta and against anyone bar the top 5 and big European teams he is perfect. Definitely think we could upgrade but would want someone with a decent range of passing. Willy C seems to have that in his locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But Arteta's a way zippier passer than Ramsey?

You sure it wasn't just fresh legs?

I would have replaced Flamini and left Arteta on today.
    I would also have taken Santi off earlier and Ox as their passing and decision making was poor. Santi is lacking confidence, could have scored at least 3 himself if on his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jack can play with himself for all I care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We've got so many game changers on the bench alone. Add Gnabry to that bench and Giroud when he's back fit, and also consider the likes of Sanongo to offer something different and change our shape a bit, and we're a force to be reckoned with. I don't know why everyone is saying league is wrapped up. Nothing is ever certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I would have replaced Flamini and left Arteta on today.
    I would also have taken Santi off earlier and Ox as their passing and decision making was poor. Santi is lacking confidence, could have scored at least 3 himself if on his game.

On Arteta I'd say Wenger is unwilling to take any risks on his fitness, chances were any breakthrough wasn't gonna come from Arteta or Flamini.

Santi definitely looks to be lacking confidence which is sad. There were a few occasions you could see he wanted to shoot but opted not to. Hopefully he gets his touch in front of goal back. The Ox has been disappointing this season. With his pace and ability on the ball he could actually be Bale-esque but he's not doing as well as he should be at the moment.

We've got so many game changers on the bench alone. Add Gnabry to that bench and Giroud when he's back fit, and also consider the likes of Sanongo to offer something different and change our shape a bit, and we're a force to be reckoned with. I don't know why everyone is saying league is wrapped up. Nothing is ever certain.

Agreed about the forwards but our defensive options arent the best. We are a starting CB and starting DM with a concentrated Szc off being capable to win the league imo.

Agreed about the forwards but our defensive options arent the best. We are a starting CB and starting DM with a concentrated Szc off being capable to win the league imo.

Let's hope we can make it till January and get a late Christmas present which includes sensible defensive transfer purchases.

Wenger: All I want for christmas is a dm and a cb.

Let's hope we can make it till January and get a late Christmas present which includes sensible defensive transfer purchases.

Wenger: All I want for christmas is a dm and a cb.

We can only hope, im not too confident but would love to be surprised. Squad CB id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Agreed on the league, ridiculous to be saying Chelsea have it wrapped up already a lot of people getting sucked in by the hype.

Was just going to post similar. A DM and a CB short of a title challenge in my opinion and us with loads of funds in the bank. Very annoying.

Was just going to post similar. A DM and a CB short of a title challenge in my opinion and us with loads of funds in the bank. Very annoying.

Same story every year its gutting tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Same story every year its gutting tbh!

Correct it's been this way for years.

Hope we never see this 4141 lark again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It was Burnley at home and we looked a bit ropey at the back when they pushed on. Hopefully Kos is back for the United game, although it looks like their injury jinx on opponents is back, with Costa missing last week and Silva out tomorrow. Brilliant to have Theo back. Next week will be tough, Bony will be a different challenge for Monreal. Nice to get a win but I won't go thinking we've turned any corners just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Thought the ox was improved today myself

Thought the ox was improved today myself

Lost the ball many times, heavy touches, poor passes.
    Effort but no end product imo.

Lost the ball many times, heavy touches, poor passes.
    Effort but no end product imo.

Thought he was alright will need to watch it back to be sure I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Must say Theo looked lethal when he came on.

I forgot how fast he is..

• Advertisement

The CB is annoying however if we're just figuring out what kind of DMF we want, then I can understand why Wenger waited.

I know I'm alone on this but we're just hitting stride with the new players against Burnley.

Wenger wants to do it piece by piece so he doesn't expose himself to too many risks. In a way I agree with that.

All of a sudden now it looks like Ozil might have to stay wide as Sanchez might dictate us going back to a 4-4-2.

If that's the case then the idea of a double pivot is over. We need a Makelele or Gilberto type who has no interest going beyond the halfway line.

So spunking 35 million on competition for Ramsey would have been an error.

Seen this tweet thought it was spot on

If Jose or Benitez had moved a player like Alexis into a new position and got 4 goals in 2 games, you'd get a 3 hour press conference on it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had him captained in my fantasy team this week too, tactical genius :D

The CB is annoying however if we're just figuring out what kind of DMF we want, then I can understand why Wenger waited.

I know I'm alone on this but we're just hitting stride with the new players against Burnley.

Wenger wants to do it piece by piece so he doesn't expose himself to too many risks. In a way I agree with that.

All of a sudden now it looks like Ozil might have to stay wide as Sanchez might dictate us going back to a 4-4-2.

If that's the case then the idea of a double pivot is over. We need a Makelele or Gilberto type who has no interest going beyond the halfway line.

So spunking 35 million on competition for Ramsey would have been an error.

If we're going to stick with a midfield two it will be wilshere and Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Fell asleep after dinner but good to see Dortmund's misery continue. Hopefully, their squad morale is rock bottom when we play them.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I had him captained in my fantasy team this week too, tactical genius :D

Had him captained the last two weeks - Allardyce level of tactical genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

If Jose or Benitez had moved a player like Alexis into a new position and got 4 goals in 2 games, you'd get a 3 hour press conference on it.

I get what your saying alright.

But Sanchez played second striker quite a bit for Udinese.

If we're going to stick with a midfield two it will be wilshere and Ramsey

That would suck massively.

Wilshire, Rambo, Alexis all running one way and someone loses the ball.

IMO Wilshire should be the new Rosicky.

This summer we get a better DMF and a new CB to eventually replace Mert. Phase Arteta, Rosicky out.

Then wait for the right moment and get the world class player for Giroud's position.

Squad complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Chances are Wenger will put him back on the wing next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Missed game so just seen MOTD highlights.

Sanchez is class we have to build around him.

Great to have Theo back, can't wait to get him back into the starting 11.

2 months away from being able to had a CB really hope Arsene can get one for the open of the window and not the end.

Sanchez is just different mustard. What a player! You cant help but to love this guy. His work ethic is amazing and oozes technical brilliance. We have basically landed a Suarez who is better, for £5m +£1 cheaper and he only bites at opponents ankles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Did Shearer just say he'd take Sanchez over Hazard ? Didn't expect that

Really need to get in the players to take us that step further.

That's how we will hold onto players like sanchez and add more like him.

He is a winner and won't be settling for fourth each season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hazard has 3 goals (2 from penalties) to Sanchez's 7 goals from play. Hazard has one assist while Sanchez has two.

Sanchez has outperfomed both Di Maria and Hazard so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

K4t wrote: »
    Hazard has 3 goals (2 from penalties) to Sanchez's 7 goals from play. Hazard has one assist while Sanchez has two.

Sanchez has outperfomed both Di Maria and Hazard so far.

There different players imo.
    Hazard will link up and get loads of hockey assists, while Sanchez will just do it all himself.

But given a choice i believe Sanchez is the one we need. We've plenty of creators and not enough finishers.

I'd take Sanchez over Hazard all day long.

Hazard reminds me of Nasri can be brilliant and on his day the best player on the pitch but he's far to inconsistent to be among the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Watched the match again on Setanta and MOTD and we looked better with each viewing.

Next few weeks will be interesting.

Godge wrote: »
    Watched the match again on Setanta and MOTD and we looked better with each viewing.

Next few weeks will be interesting.

After the Arsenal match today I watched Munich/Dortmund, Barca/Celta Vigo and then MOTD. Not something I'd ever do but something about Arsenal's performance today made me hungry for football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'd take Sanchez over Hazard all day long.

Very tough one to call. Both players could easily play in any team.

Maybe Chelsea will do us a solid and sell him to us :o

Very tough one to call. Both players could easily play in any team.

Maybe Chelsea will do us a solid and sell him to us :o

True they both could.

But I think over the coarse of a full season Sanchez will give you more than Hazard.

True they both could.

But I think over the coarse of a full season Sanchez will give you more than Hazard.

Hard to argue against that!

Don't I've ever witnessed a player sign for us and make such a immediate impact.

I'm guessing Alexi is going to play central from now on ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

This question was asked on Match of the Day and something like 66% of the fans chose Sanchez over Hazard.

^^^ Great user name btw.

Too much stuff about positions. A "4-3-3" with Welbeck heading the front three and Sanchez and Ozil behind would be amazing. 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 should all be basically the same. The main thing is solidity in terms of the players in front of the defence and a will for the rest to spring out. Formations aren't worth a ****e, if everything's static it's static. The way Sanchez went for that cross was something I haven't see an Arsenal player to in years. The way Welbeck smashed the ball in the box was what they should be doing all the time, which is why we all love Podolski.
    Hopefully they woke up today. It's all really simple stuff when it comes down to it. :P

You know, if we could somehow make Arteta shoot lasers out of his eyes, we'd be grand for that old dm position.. just sayin'

If we have everyone back whats our team, we can't play ozil and Sanchez 10

I reckon it will be ozil 10 and Sanchez up top for the majority of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Thing I loved the most yesterday about Sanchez's performance was the way he single handedly elevated the determination of his team mates around him. His harrying of defenders, throwing himself around, sliding into tackles, and chasing down the ball eventually rubbed off on his team mates. Great to see. Not since a certain Ian Weight have I seen such a determined footballer. They both seem to play with a passion you rarely find from an arsenal player. Suarez had the same work ethic as already alluded to in this thread.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Thing I loved the most yesterday about Sanchez's performance was the way he single handedly elevated the determination of his team mates around him. His harrying of defenders, throwing himself around, sliding into tackles, and chasing down the ball eventually rubbed off on his team mates. Great to see. Not since a certain Ian Weight have I seen such a determined footballer. They both seem to play with a passion you rarely find from an arsenal player. Suarez had the same work ethic as already alluded to in this thread.

Let's hope he keeps it going until united in 3 weeks.

Really want to see us beat them badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Let's hope he keeps it going until united in 3 weeks.

Really want to see us beat them badly.

Yeah the concern now is if he has to keep up this level of effort without the rest of the team stepping up he could easily burn himself out by Christmas.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Yeah the concern now is if he has to keep up this level of effort without the rest of the team stepping up he could easily burn himself out by Christmas.

To be honest I don't think he has another way to play.

Is he constantly hyper-oxygenated because he's from Chile or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Would love to see podolski get time mid week. Looked very hungry when he came on and thought he was going to break the post when he hit it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement