Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    There's also the matter of being a bit better though. Sanchez got a run on the guy and jumped higher because of it.

It was an astonishing leap from Sanchez, an exercise in strength, bravery and timing, I really didn't see that coming and neither did the Burnley defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

anyone got the highlights to the game on saturday? missed it.

did we play crap again?

We played okay, we created a few chances up until the 70th minute but were unlucky. Once the goal came we pushed on again and took our chances well.

Sanchez is really the man, the closest thing we have had to a world class player since Henry left. When he gels more with this team he can do for Arsenal what Suarez did for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Walcott coming back to fitness just as a F1 season draws to a close? Very suss....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

A lot of work went into Wengers jacket :P -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    A lot of work went into Wengers jacket :P -

Screen_Shot_2014-01-27_at_12.56.15_PM.png

People of their word. Good on ya Puma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He sounds Scottish when he says "I think so too".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,424 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Francis Coquelin gone on loan to Charlton until Dec 1st.
    Hope he gets games as he looks like a good prospect but is not getting game time at Arsenal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29883392

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Godge wrote: »
    Sturridge only played in the Premier League last season so comparing just on PL is not most relevant. He also had Suarez playing alongside him in a team that just tried to outscore everyone else.

I am not convinced that he would start ahead of our strikers.
    This genuinely baffles me.
    Same here but I do think Welbeck can become our Sturridge.
    I like Welbeck but I've seen little to suggest hes capable of reaching Sturridge's level as a goalscorer, 2 in 7 in the league is pretty poor.
    greendom wrote: »
    Sturridge is undoubtedly a good striker. Be interesting to see how well he performs without Suarez to distract defences and provide him with more freedom
    When Suarez was banned at the start of last season Sturridge had 7 goals in 7 games, his stats were actually better without Suarez.
    Francis Coquelin gone on loan to Charlton until Dec 1st.
    Hope he gets games as he looks like a good prospect but is not getting game time at Arsenal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29883392
    Struggle to see how Coquelin can still be considered a prospect tbh, he was by all accounts pretty crap at Freiburg last season and ended up playing left wing, if he can't break into their midfield he hasn't a hope.

Negative post klaxon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It was an astonishing leap from Sanchez, an exercise in strength, bravery and timing, I really didn't see that coming and neither did the Burnley defenders

Ronaldo, Tim Cahill, Shane Long all have massive leaps too and beat taller opponents regularly. Some players just have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sanchez, like a tigerfish, leaps out of the water, to catch his prey.

Kirby wrote: »
    Ronaldo, Tim Cahill, Shane Long all have massive leaps too and beat taller opponents regularly. Some players just have it.

I didn't claim it to be a unique ability, it was just unexpected. Anyway all the players you mention are taller than Alexis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Jumping has to do with power

Explosive players have better jumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Theo contract talks coming up.

Mad, it only seems like a while ago we were down this road.

Was it last summer?

Half a year then he gets injured and its contract talk time again, so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

yipeeeee wrote: »

Was it last summer?

Half a year then he gets injured and its contract talk time again, so frustrating.

True it doesn't seem very long but I remember when he last signed I felt he could potentially hold us over a barrel for his next deal. That definitely won't be the case when you consider the signings we've made since then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was it last summer?

Twas back in January 2013, for three and a half years. While he's turned into a great player since then, and really showed off his potential up until his injury, I think his negotiating position isn't as strong as it was.

Good that we're getting on it early though, I do love watching him play in an Arsenal shirt.

• Advertisement

Just heard Wenger talking about Sanchez and how it wasn't easy for him at the start and the team couldn't adapt to him..
    Did I miss something, he has been scoring and playing great since day one?????

He's performing much better now than he was at the beginning of the season, from what I can see.

He's performing much better now than he was at the beginning of the season, from what I can see.

Of course but are we forgetting he single handily got us through the champions league qualifier, scored against city etc.

Just think he deserves more credit for those games too.

Of course but are we forgetting he single handily got us through the champions league qualifier, scored against city etc.

Just think he deserves more credit for those games too.

Maybe it's more that the players around him have a better understanding of how to play with him and what he's capable of?

Just heard Wenger talking about Sanchez and how it wasn't easy for him at the start and the team couldn't adapt to him..
    Did I miss something, he has been scoring and playing great since day one?????

I would agree with Wenger, I don't think he looks much more settled now and is finding rythm with the team. He was a bit of a lone ranger the first 5/6 games but he seems to have adapted into the focal point of the team now.

Its amazing how quickly he settled given the WC and the downer you would expect from leaving Barca.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's more that the players around him have a better understanding of how to play with him and what he's capable of?

Ah true, sure it's all good now so suppose it doesn't matter.

Really hope to see him at his best and tear United's defence a new one in 3 weeks...

Soups123 wrote: »
    I would agree with Wenger, I don't think he looks much more settled now and is finding rythm with the team. He was a bit of a lone ranger the first 5/6 games but he seems to have adapted into the focal point of the team now.

Its amazing how quickly he settled given the WC and the downer you would expect from leaving Barca.

But it was been suggested he started off poorly and he didn't understand the team and vice versa.

He is obviously much better now but I thought he done brilliant in some of the early games.

Just a little harsh I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

The added benefit of Sanchez’ crazy energy is it will – well it should – inspire the players in the team to work harder, to improve their own work rates – and the whole side will benefit as a result. Like what happened last year at Liverpool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Win for us tonight and Dortmund see us through with 2 games to spare - makes a change. Will take the pressure off that might help with upcoming PL games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Tonight's game against Anderlecht is on Setanta Ireland and Sky Sports 5. COYG

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Win for us tonight and Dortmund see us through with 2 games to spare - makes a change. Will take the pressure off that might help with upcoming PL games

I'd rather Dortmund didn't win tonight, to give us a chance of finishing first in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I'd rather Dortmund didn't win tonight, to give us a chance of finishing first in the group

I dont think it really matters being first or second seed as the competition is hard either way, getting through is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Mixed emotions really, would like the comfort of being through to next stage, but to still be considering a top spot, would take away the focus on the league. Let's take 2nd and be done with it I think… Maybe… Not sure!!

We have a better chance of a league than a UCL in my opinion!

I dont think it really matters being first or second seed as the competition is hard either way, getting through is the main thing.

yes finish first or second, we are likely to end up with the hardest possible draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My god, our recent fixtures in this competition is the biggest evidence anyone should need that finishing 1st is miles better than finishing second. And before somebody says 'you have to beat the best to win it', yeah that's all well and good, but its easier on the squad to have a relatively easier two legged tie in March than bloody Bayern Munich.

• Advertisement

But it was been suggested he started off poorly and he didn't understand the team and vice versa.

He is obviously much better now but I thought he done brilliant in some of the early games.

Just a little harsh I thought.

I've liked him from day 1, but in the early few games he was hauled off at HT versus Everton and dropped a game or two after.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

emmetlego wrote: »
    Mixed emotions really, would like the comfort of being through to next stage, but to still be considering a top spot, would take away the focus on the league. Let's take 2nd and be done with it I think… Maybe… Not sure!!

We have a better chance of a league than a UCL in my opinion!

Winning a PL title is a lot tougher than the CL imo, reckon its more likely we could win the latter tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Maybe a draw then would be the best result. We need to beat them at home to have a chance of getting 1st.

Looking at the current state of the groups, finishing 1st could be a great advantage - but we'd still get Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dortmund will stuff Gala anyways so we have nothing to worry about!haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

AdamD wrote: »
    My god, our recent fixtures in this competition is the biggest evidence anyone should need that finishing 1st is miles better than finishing second. And before somebody says 'you have to beat the best to win it', yeah that's all well and good, but its easier on the squad to have a relatively easier two legged tie in March than bloody Bayern Munich.

What difference does it make really? We always get one of the worst possible draws. If we finish top, Barcelona will finish second and we all know who we get in the next round then.

First or second, it doesn't matter. Especially considering their is only one team in the league who look half way gelled. We should be focused on that first and foremost.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I've liked him from day 1, but in the early few games he was hauled off at HT versus Everton and dropped a game or two after.

Totally unfairly by wenger i thought.

Upfront on his own, not his position at all but Wenger took him off at half time and left players on who were worst, nice confidence boost there and then drops him.

Anyway it all worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    What difference does it make really? We always get one of the worst possible draws. If we finish top, Barcelona will finish second and we all know who we get in the next round then.

First or second, it doesn't matter. Especially considering their is only one team in the league who look half way gelled. We should be focused on that first and foremost.

I know we've been unlucky but the risk of getting a big team is lower when you top the group. Besides, the more wins Arsenal get, the more coefficient points we get. The higher your coefficient points are, the more likely you are to draw weaker teams.

Arsenal would have had it much easier in the Champions League in previous seasons if we finished above 4th in the Premiership and topped the groups in the Champions League more often.

Upfront on his own, not his position at all but Wenger took him off at half time and left players on who were worst, nice confidence boost there and then drops him.

I agree I didnt understand it at the time but as you say it all worked out in the end so Wenger deserves the credit for knowing what he was doing.

Obviously great psychology from Arsene, worked wonders :pac:

• Advertisement

I know we've been unlucky but the risk of getting a big team is lower when you top the group. Besides, the more wins Arsenal get, the more coefficient points we get. The higher your coefficient points are, the more likely you are to draw weaker teams.

Arsenal would have had it much easier in the Champions League in previous seasons if we finished above 4th in the Premiership and topped the groups in the Champions League more often.

Don't think so. We can't get better than being in the top group of seeds. There is of course a danger of falling out of the elite though

Obviously great psychology from Arsene, worked wonders :pac:

But Sanchez was doing fine, scoring against city and getting us through the qualifier.

I'm gonna go with Sanchez's fighting attitude to never give up the way he has turned out.

Not Wenger hauling him off at half time then dropping him as some kind of master stroke.

But Sanchez was doing fine, scoring against city and getting us through the qualifier.

I'm gonna go with Sanchez's fighting attitude to never give up the way he has turned out.

Not Wenger hauling him off at half time then dropping him as some kind of master stroke.

The half time substitution worked out pretty well as I remember, Sanchez had done very little in the first half and Giroud turned the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Aren't we top seeds? 6th or 7th usually as best I can recall, but still a good bit ahead of 8th. After the group stage draw the coefficient is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Don't think so. We can't get better than being in the top group of seeds. There is of course a danger of falling out of the elite though

I thought they changed it for next season so champions league winner and winners of top 7 leagues will be number 1 seeds.

The half time substitution worked out pretty well as I remember, Sanchez had done very little in the first half and Giroud turned the game.

Yes but there were players left on who should have came off instead of him.

Ozil was definitely one of them. Moved Sanchez back into mid would have been a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I see Arsenal had 32 shots on goal against Burnley. The most the have had in any match since 2007.
    Nice to see the shackles off and them having a go.
    Chambers as an attacking threat, who would have thought so :rolleyes:
    Looking forward to tonights match, 30 shots will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I see Arsenal had 32 shots on goal against Burnley. The most the have had in any match since 2007.

once Santi improves his shooting!

he's been.....wayward this season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Most shots since West Ham in 2007 which we lost 1 nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Yes but there were players left on who should have came off instead of him.

Ozil was definitely one of them. Moved Sanchez back into mid would have been a better option.

I find this ridiculous to be honest. We were losing 2-0 at half time and Sanchez was ineffective till that point. Yes, he was probably the only bright spark on the pitch for us until halftime. But he wasn't playing the system Wenger had set us out to play. Bringing Giroud on and reverting back to a trusted system resulted in us salvaging a draw.
    Sanchez has been brilliant this season so far for us, but I felt at the start he was taking the onus too much on himself to drive the team forward. It's a team game and since he's started to integrate much better within the system he's come on leaps and bounds. Wenger see's a lot more than anyone of us can during a match. I don't think he's infallible at all, but if anyone deserved credit during that match it was Wenger for changing our tactics, something which he receives a lot of unjust critiscism for.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I find this ridiculous to be honest. We were losing 2-0 at half time and Sanchez was ineffective till that point. Yes, he was probably the only bright spark on the pitch for us until halftime. But he wasn't playing the system Wenger had set us out to play. Bringing Giroud on and reverting back to a trusted system resulted in us salvaging a draw.
    Sanchez has been brilliant this season so far for us, but I felt at the start he was taking the onus too much on himself to drive the team forward. It's a team game and since he's started to integrate much better within the system he's come on leaps and bounds. Wenger see's a lot more than anyone of us can during a match. I don't think he's infallible at all, but if anyone deserved credit during that match it was Wenger for changing our tactics, something which he receives a lot of unjust critiscism for.

I would have thanked that twice if I could - instead I'll say thanks in a post

THANKS

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement