Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sport the Catalan sports daily is claiming that Liverpool actually offered more money for Sanchez, but alexis insisted on Arsenal as his destination. Wise man and fast approaching hero status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I find this ridiculous to be honest. We were losing 2-0 at half time and Sanchez was ineffective till that point. Yes, he was probably the only bright spark on the pitch for us until halftime. But he wasn't playing the system Wenger had set us out to play. Bringing Giroud on and reverting back to a trusted system resulted in us salvaging a draw.
    Sanchez has been brilliant this season so far for us, but I felt at the start he was taking the onus too much on himself to drive the team forward. It's a team game and since he's started to integrate much better within the system he's come on leaps and bounds. Wenger see's a lot more than anyone of us can during a match. I don't think he's infallible at all, but if anyone deserved credit during that match it was Wenger for changing our tactics, something which he receives a lot of unjust critiscism for.

Well in my opinion we maybe could have went on to win of we had Sanchez still on the pitch.

So basically you're saying it was Wenger's fault in the beginning for leaving giroud on the bench and changing things.

So which is it? His changes got us back from 2-0 which was his fault to start with?

greendom wrote: »
    Sport the Catalan sports daily is claiming that Liverpool actually offered more money for Sanchez, but alexis insisted on Arsenal as his destination. Wise man and fast approaching hero status.

Wonder how Phil Thompson feels seems he publicly stated it would be a mistake Sanchez joining us and not pool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Well in my opinion we maybe could have went on to win of we had Sanchez still on the pitch.

So basically you're saying it was Wenger's fault in the beginning for leaving giroud on the bench and changing things.

So which is it? His changes got us back from 2-0 which was his fault to start with?

managers make decisions before games about team formation etc. It's not an exact science. The best ones adapt their thinking as the game goes on.

In this case AW adapted well. He should learn from that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

yipeeeee wrote: »

Wenger had said that Giroud wasn't up to speed following on from the World Cup and was using him sparingly as he got back to his level.

I suppose damned if you do, damned if you don't is another way of looking at it

Hyzepher wrote: »
    managers make decisions before games about team formation etc. It's not an exact science. The best ones adapt their thinking as the game goes on.

In this case AW adapted well. He should learn from that

Fair enough but this is me only talking about sanchez , anyway onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Don't think so. We can't get better than being in the top group of seeds. There is of course a danger of falling out of the elite though

They're changing the system: http://www.squawka.com/news/arsene-wenger-surprised-at-uefas-champions-league-decision-to-change-pot-system/208592

If you don't win your league, you'll have have to play a league winner. I'm wrong about the finishing above 4th thing, though.

I dont think it really matters being first or second seed as the competition is hard either way, getting through is the main thing.

Rubbish.
    Last year - 2nd, got Bayern Munich, out in last 16.
    2013 - 2nd (to Schalke!) Got Bayern Munich, out in last 16.
    2012 - 1st, Got AC Milan, out in last 16.
    2011 - 2nd (to Shaktar!), Got Barcelona, out in last 16.
    2010 - 1st, beat Porto, lost to Barcelona 1/4 final.

For the 3 years we finished 2nd we got Bayern Munich twice and Barcelona another time. The teams who finished 1st got Roma, Galatasaray and Zenit St. Petersburg. Finishing 1st generally makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

This year though? Both seeds are/can be tricky. Im not talking about the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

No, it's a huge difference every year. Dortmund topped our group and they drew Zenit.

Schalke topped our group the year before and they drew Galatasaray. We got Bayern.

• Advertisement

Well we don't know the finishing positions for sure but it looks like the 1st seeds could be:
    Olympiacos/Athletico
    Real Madrid
    Lverkusen/Monaco/Zenit
    Bayern Munich
    PSG/Barcelona
    Chelsea
    Porto

2nd seeds:
    Olympiacos/Athletico
    Liverpool/Basel/Ludogorets
    Leverkusen/Monaco/Zenit
    Roma
    PSG/Barcelona
    Schalke
    Shaktar

Ya don't have a preference between those two sets of possible opponents? Assuming results go as expected the 2nd seeds will only have PSG who I wouldn't be expecting to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Crowley seems to be tearing it up atm for the U19's, scored again in the match thats ongoing now against Anderlecht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Crowley seems to be tearing it up atm for the U19's, scored again in the match thats ongoing now against Anderlecht.
    Yeah seems a real prospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It is being repeated elsewhere.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/04/alexis-sanchez-begged-barcelona-for-arsenal-transfer-despite-liverpool-offering-more-money-4934400/?

It is great to see players who want to come and play for the club rather than players who appeared to have nowhere else left to go (Falcao and Balotelli being two possible examples this summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Just realised their showing the 19s on the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

What's the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

2ndcoming wrote: »
    What's the score?

1-2, I think they lost both home and away games to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Has anyone got their red membership package yet in the post? Was it not meant to have gone out a while ago?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jaafa wrote: »
    Has anyone got their red membership package yet in the post? Was it not meant to have gone out a while ago?

Got mine late last week, but I'm in London, so Ireland might take a little longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

What's the story with Ramsey at the minute?
    Is he injured / unfit / not match-fit? Not hearing anything about him which is a worry because he's something else when he whips out a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    What's the story with Ramsey at the minute?
    Is he injured / unfit / not match-fit? Not hearing anything about him which is a worry because he's something else when he whips out a good performance.

He is starting tonight

The injury he had has disrupted his start and he's struggling for form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Soups123 wrote: »
    He is starting tonight

The injury he had has disrupted his start and he's struggling for form

Having another mare tonight.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Having another mare tonight.

I think he's been alright so far getting into positions

I think he's been alright so far getting into positions

Giving the ball away far too much for my liking.

• Advertisement

How long is Sanchez contract!!

Revenge on barca for them mugging us with cesc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mert is done tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

What does this mean for the group?

Before anyone tries to make any excuse, no, coming back from 1-0 to win last time isn't as good as tonight was bad.

AdamD wrote: »
    Mert is done tbh

Kos out shows how much he covers for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was watching the Liverpool game. How on earth did you guys manage to blow that? What happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mert is absolute rubbish but no surprise, never rated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Mr Blobby wrote: »

It means if Dortmund win their next game they will seal top spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Oh Lordy where to start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It means if Dortmund win their next game they will seal top spot.

Just need a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Beyond woeful, clearly shows we need badly to go out and break the bank to sign a top class defender, Mert for me is done. He be a back up at most.

What does Wenger be telling his team to back off sides once we go up, its been happening in the past few seasons. Every time we take a lead we back off teams, its crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Zero excuse, not even in the same universe as an acceptable result from the position we were in. Can't wait to hear what Wenger says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I don't think its a coincidence that when arteta went off we stopped looking like a team.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

If Anderlecht/Galatasaray is a draw then Arsenal are through whatever. Otherwise whichever team wins will probably go into the last match needing a win and Arsenal not to win to qualify. Unless Arsenal beat Dortmund of course.

Game by game Wengers inability to lead this team forward grows and grows.

He sat back and did absolutely nothing while we looked ropey, same everytime like a rabit in headlights he freezes and prays the players somehow sort it out on there own.

Could you imagine what Fergie/Mourinho or any manager does in the same situation? Meet it head on atleast if he tries and fails he has tried

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I was watching the Liverpool game. How on earth did you guys manage to blow that? What happened?

Bad defending and backed off when we took a 3-0 lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sweet mother of fcukin jasus.

Only Arsenal.

Clusterfcuk.

What on earth has happened to Ramsey lads? Wenger made some awful subs there we needed pace on to keep Anderlecht from playing such a high line and putting our midfield under too much pressure. Cazorla doesnt look interested either does he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

He sat back and did absolutely nothing while we looked ropey, same everytime like a rabit in headlights he freezes and prays the players somehow sort it out on there own.

Could you imagine what Fergie/Mourinho or any manager does in the same situation? Meet it head on atleast if he tries and fails he has tried

There's nothing Wenger can do about Mertesacker being beaten to a ball he had no business losing. Other than bringing in a new CB that is....

dorgasm wrote: »
    Zero excuse, not even in the same universe as an acceptable result from the position we were in. Can't wait to hear what Wenger says.

Couldn't be arsed what he says myself it's years of the same crap at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Szc in goal, Mert and Monreal at centre back and Arteta/Flamini in DM, thats genuinely bottom ten standard

Nothing much he could do as he signed bugger all centre backs in the summer. Its coming back and biting him hard this season. What excuses will Wenger come out with now?

dorgasm wrote: »
    There's nothing Wenger can do about Mertesacker being beaten to a ball he had no business losing. Other than bringing in a new CB that is....

Really nothing Wenger can do? Against Anderlecht? If he games the game elsewhere we put them on the back foot

He also made the decision to rely on an average left back as CB cover

Raf32 wrote: »
    Szc in goal, Mert and Monreal at centre back and Arteta/Flamini in DM, thats genuinely bottom ten standard

Nothing Szc could do, I still rate him. everything else I agree with you with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raf32 wrote: »
    Mert is absolute rubbish but no surprise, never rated him.

You certainly looked like you rated him here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement