Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Raf32 wrote: »
    Doesnt the winner of that get champions league next year though? Couldnt say no to a european trophy.

We'd blow that too. Seriously after last night I'd have no confidence in us beating many Europa cup teams let alone winning it Raf!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Eventually we'll be in the Europa. I'd like us to make a go of it, we've a shocking European trophy cabinet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Batman's words of wisdom:)

Seems quite appropriate..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sure.

If Bruce Wayne was using the same utility belt from 20 years ago, refused to get with the times, and bought his batarangs from the thrift store.........while still charging Gotham maximum price for his services.

And let the Joker best him when he was 3-0 up.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh God, I'm spluttering here, that's an hilarious image Kirby.

Can somebody with photoshop skills please make Wenger as Batman, and Mourinho as The Joker, with the appropriate caption?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Oh God, I'm spluttering here, that's an hilarious image Kirby.

Can somebody with photoshop skills please make Wenger as Batman, and Mourinho as The Joker, with the appropriate caption?

Something like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

He isn't going to walk and won't be sacked so things will remain until his contract expires. I love AW but the club needs to change then. I would have been sad had he left in May but the time would have been suitable.

He will have a huge in his successors appointment so I really wouldn't be surprised to see a completely random appointment. Dragon Stoijkovic is his protégée....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ah come off it Looper, I remember you calling him average last year :pac:

and you edited out the last bit when I was criticising him Raf :pac:. But you did go a little OTT with Scz been to blame for last nights result :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

how is Stojković his protege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looper007 wrote: »
    and you edited out the last bit when I was criticising him Raf :pac:. But you did go a little OTT with Scz been to blame for last nights result :pac:

I said he was to blame for the last goal not the result. Comes down to Wengers incompetence sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I said he was to blame for the last goal not the result. Comes down to Wengers incompetence sadly.

and his stubbornness at not buying players in the positions he needed cause he hates to be told what to do by anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Looper007 wrote: »
    and his stubbornness at not buying players in the positions he needed cause he hates to be told what to do by anyone.

I'd be shocked if he didn't sign defensive cover in January, be that a defender, defensive midfielder or both or do you think that won't happen because everybody is pointing out that that's what we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

L'prof wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he didn't sign defensive cover in January, be that a defender, defensive midfielder or both or do you think that won't happen because everybody is pointing out that that's what we need?

We needed cover up front after Theo's injury last year so he signed Kallestrom..........

At this stage for our own sanity we are better assuming that no cover for what we need is signed and be delighted if he confounds us.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

At least we're not City.

Every cloud, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Looks like joel campbell wants out in Jan :(http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenals-joel-campbell-ready-leave-4575261

Love to see this guy get more playing time in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Looks like joel campbell wants out in Jan :(http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenals-joel-campbell-ready-leave-4575261

I can see Joel Campbell becoming one of those guys that the less he plays the better he becomes. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Smacks of the Diarra situation if you ask me. I can see Wenger using him after Christmas. Would like to see him get some gametime alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Another player to add the growing list of players careers stunted by Wenger.

He really must have wound up wenger big time and Mr stubborn won't back down anytime soon I'd imagine. Personally I'd play him over Podolski anyday. I think Poldi is done if I'm honest.

Jeremy Wilson's article is worth the read. He talks about the obvious flaws at Arsenal and how to deal with them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11210436/Arsene-Wengers-six-point-programme-to-follow-to-get-Arsenal-back-on-the-right-road-this-season.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm out.

This thread is appalling these days.

Wenger has clearly eroded any goodwill towards him so while Man City fans might be patient with last night, ours won't with the previous evening.

However a lot of the stuff in here is idiotic.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm out.

This thread is appalling these days.

Wenger has clearly eroded any goodwill towards him so while Man City fans might be patient with last night, ours won't with the previous evening.

However a lot of the stuff in here is idiotic.

Couldn't care less about City. They've had a number of managerial changes over the years so I wouldn't use them as an example anyway.

Supporters deal with difficult times in different ways so get over it. You've effectively said posters here are idiots which is unfair. There are no awards in here for the best arsenal supporter ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

omega man wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about City. They've had a number of managerial changes over the years so I wouldn't use them as an example anyway.

Supporters deal with difficult times in different ways so get over it. You've effectively said posters here are idiots which is unfair. There are no awards in here for the best arsenal supporter ffs.

In fairness this thread can be unbearable at times. The only player who hasn't come in for mass criticism yet is Sanchez and that is only because he has been here a few months. Give it a year and he will fall into the same category as everyone else: not good enough for Arsenal, a donkey or something else along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

omega man wrote: »

No, there isn't. And people are obviously entitled to deal with supporting Arsenal in whatever way they want.

I haven't called people idiots. Some of the stuff being posted and thanked multiple times in here is however idiotic and irrational. If I'm going to discuss something then I may as well discuss it with someone who has a rational viewpoint.

bye

No, there isn't. And people are obviously entitled to deal with supporting Arsenal in whatever way they want.

I haven't called people idiots. Some of the stuff being posted and thanked multiple times in here is however idiotic and irrational. If I'm going to discuss something then I may as well discuss it with someone who has a rational viewpoint.

bye
    I thought you were gone already?

farna_boy wrote: »
    In fairness this thread can be unbearable at times. The only player who hasn't come in for mass criticism yet is Sanchez and that is only because he has been here a few months. Give it a year and he will fall into the same category as everyone else: not good enough for Arsenal, a donkey or something else along those lines.

As with any forum on any subject matter.

I suspect there is also quite a variation in the age of posters here along with the length of supporting the club.

At least in here there aren't any mods forcing personal views on the rest of us. It's pretty open here but yes that may lead to unusual comments etc but i can live with that anyday.

bye

So its only people who share the same viewpoint as you that arent idiotic and irrational?

Arsenal fans are annoyed, angry and Wenger has used up all his goodwill of course its going to reach a point for people when the decide he is no longer the answer, that doesnt make the irrational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Quazzie wrote: »
    Another player to add the growing list of players careers stunted by Wenger.

Ffs. If he was good enough,Wenger would play him, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Things could be worse...

Runs

Ffs. If he was good enough,Wenger would play him, simple as that.
    Ah the Wengerboys are back in town. Welcome to the party, pull up a chair.

Do you disagree that Wenger fails to get the most out of certain players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah the Wengerboys are back in town. Welcome to the party, pull up a chair.

Do you disagree that Wenger fails to get the most out of certain players?

Who for example? - there are players, such as Arshavin, Bendtner, Chamakh etc who seem to get worse when in Arsenal colours but I think that was more down to the individuals concerned - they hardly improved once they left anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Well City made Arsenal's tosh of a performance seem not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well City made Arsenal's tosh of a performance seem not too bad

Nothing to do with us.
    OUR performances are what matter.

Something that is really bugging me is the inability of our players who take corners and free-kicks to beat the first man. What do they do in feckin training?

Nothing to do with us.
    OUR performances are what matter.

Something that is really bugging me is the inability of our players who take corners and free-kicks to beat the first man. What do they do in feckin training?

We did score from a corner against Burnley - I do agree that in general our corner taking has been dire though - maybe that's partly due having a relatively small (in stature) squad. Giroud will help in that regard when he returns (although probably more from a defensive perspective than an attacking one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Strange how we barely ever score from free kicks and Sanchez comes along and scores from 2 in a relatively short period of time. The likes of cazorla should have been regularly banging in free kicks, and I'm not taking away from his stunner in the fa cup final.

Do we just not get players to practice free kicks in training? Cazorla and Sanchez arrived from la liga well able to score them, none of our homegrown players seem to be up to it. I know its not the easiest skill but the other top teams have players that are fairly likely to score from one in front of goal.

Situations like this provide that extra goal when its needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I had a bit of a bust up in the united thread while discussing Di Maria's failure to take good corners in United's last game. He took 3 corners in a row with each hitting the first man. I argued his decision to hit it at pace towards the near post left him with very little margin for error....making it the wrong choice. Aiming it at the penalty spot mean that if you under or over hit it, you still have a chance of scoring. That was my take on it anyway.

It's not just an Arsenal problem. Attacking and defending corners are a big part of the game and an area a lot of teams struggle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Poldi is pretty decent at them aswell IIRC, although hard for them to hit them when he's never on the pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

maximoose wrote: »
    Poldi is pretty decent at them aswell IIRC, although hard for them to hit them when he's never on the pitch...

Yeah that's why I didn't mention him. If he wasn't such a lazy player I'm sure he'd be played more often. Stunning finisher on his day!

greendom wrote: »
    Who for example? - there are players, such as Arshavin, Bendtner, Chamakh etc who seem to get worse when in Arsenal colours but I think that was more down to the individuals concerned - they hardly improved once they left anyway.
    Park had a decent final season in France before he was bought and totally ignored by Wenger.

Podolski isn't utilised to the best of his abilities in my opinion. Campbell is another one, Diarra as mentioned earlier, and that's in addition to the ones you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Park had a decent final season in France before he was bought and totally ignored by Wenger.

That was the most bizarre transfer ever. Taken out of a hotel room as he was about to sign for Lille
    Where is he now ? I genuinely don't know btw

greendom wrote: »

Gervinho!

Soups123 wrote: »
    Gervinho!

Very true, performed before and after but very rarely with. Well there's always one isn't there !

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I liked Gervinho, thought the amount of stick he got was unnecessary.

maximoose wrote: »

Looking at Podolski the other night and he looked overweight and unfit with a big arse on him. Now he was a great player and used to be able to take defenders on too but the other night for Anderlechts 3rd goal he was slow to get near the player and hardly able to lift his leg to block the shot. Obviously not being made train hard enough.

Looking at Podolski the other night and he looked overweight and unfit with a big arse on him. Now he was a great player and used to be able to take defenders on too but the other night for Anderlechts 3rd goal he was slow to get near the player and hardly able to lift his leg to block the shot. Obviously not being made train hard enough.

Wonder what this guy's up to then.....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/09/arsene-wenger-arsenal-new-fitness-coach-shad-forsythe-germany-world-cup

• Advertisement

Podolski isn't utilised to the best of his abilities in my opinion. Campbell is another one, Diarra as mentioned earlier, and that's in addition to the ones you mentioned.

Ok well first of all, there's a difference between looking decent in Ligue 1 and looking decent in the EPL. Sure, PSG and Monaco are nouveau riche but for the most part,there's a huge gulf in class. Doesn't the fact that Park was never really given a chance suggest that he probably wasn't very good at all?After all, Wenger was the one who watched him play in training day after day, and I'm going to assume that it's safe to say that he knows alot more about judging a players ability than you or I.

On Podolski,yeah I kind of agree with you. He's a good squad player and Wenger could do a better job at keeping him happier, but he's not deserving of a spot in the first eleven.

On Campbell,I really think this guy has become something of a stick to beat Wenger with. If he was good enough he'd be getting more minutes. When I've seen him play for us, he hasn't really offered anything special or different. He's got a good centre of gravity and moves the ball around well,he can finish too. That description fits most of our attacking midfielders.

Diarra? The guy couldn't have upped and left any quicker if he tried. Sure,we had a good midfield that season: Hleb, fabregas, flamini, rosicky etc, but he clearly wasn't interested in fighting for a place and wanted to play in the euros. Again, I think people are remembering his impressive spell at Portsmouth and overlooking the fact he's a free agent who was just released by lokomotiv Moscow. Enough said.

I thought Campbell looked very good in the WC. He was very busy and ran himself into the ground.
    I also thought he looked good in the CL last season when we saw him against United. Even scored.

So when did he become a poor player and not fit to play for Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

We must have been watching a different match because from what I saw, he definitely did not look overweight.

As for the goal, considering he was brought on as a striker, fell back and was the only person who even tried to close down the person who was crossing the ball, I don't think you can blame Podolski, especially when there were two other players on the pitch walking back as the cross went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well put it like this..
    Campbell won't start ahead of Walcott,Ozil,Sanchez,Cazorla or Ox.

For me he isn't good enough to start and while he did play quite well in the WC. One good tournament isn't enough for him to be playing regularly.

I'd rather wait and let him play some FA Cup games.

I thought Campbell looked very good in the WC. He was very busy and ran himself into the ground.
    I also thought he looked good in the CL last season when we saw him against United. Even scored.

So when did he become a poor player and not fit to play for Arsenal?

Yeah he looked quite good against Uruguay, although they were pretty toothless without Suarez. I seem to remember him being completely anonymous against the Netherlands though. Yes as you said, he did score a pretty good goal against United last season too. You might also remember that that United team were a shambles and in serious turmoil, its worth noting.

If you read my post closely, you'll see that I never once said he was a poor player. I actually think he's a decent player and adds some depth to the squad. I think he's become a bit overrated due to a couple of decent performances in the WC, that's my point. I would have Sanchez, Ozil, Chamberlain, Walcott and Podolski all ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement