Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

greendom wrote: »
    That points to a levelling out, not a decline.during a period when the club had to consolidate after the stadium build and the likes of Chelsea and City turned up with limitless funds to buy success.

Always an excuse.

What was the excuse when we faced the mighty Birmingham in the final and bottled it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Always an excuse.

What was the excuse when we faced the mighty Birmingham in the final and bottled it?

Maybe we should go through every defeat we've suffered in the last 10 years. Not sure how we'd benefit but I'm sure you would enjoy the experience

Maybe we should go through every defeat we've suffered in the last 10 years. Not sure how we'd benefit but I'm sure you would enjoy the experience

I actually don't know how to reply to this, so I guess you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

More pointless bickering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

bad2dabone wrote: »
    More pointless bickering.

In fairness we all secretly love the drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

L'prof wrote: »
    Have a look at all of his signings here and tell me how many of these you'd like to see coming our way.

Bit harsh just listing out all the not so good players he signed. There are other circumstances you have to take into account.

1. Liverpool being poor the seasons before he arrived
    2. Hicks & Gillet.
    3. Not getting into the Champions League for years therefore not attracting the higher caliber players.
    4. Roy Hodgson going ape sh*t with the first lump of cash he's ever had.
    5. Perhaps budget issues pre-Suarez sale.

Points 1-4 are fairly valid reasons as to the standard of player he had to go after. Hell, its thought that Alexis turned them down as he didn't want to move to the city. Not sure on that one myself tbh.

Rodgers is a decent manager.
    I'd prefer martinez or rudi garcia though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That points to a levelling out, not a decline.during a period when the club had to consolidate after the stadium build and the likes of Chelsea and City turned up with limitless funds to buy success.

Exactly how I feel. And the purchase of Ozil and Alexis show we have now turned a corner. He never recklessly spent, and if the type of player he wanted wasn't available, he wouldn't take him. We nearly got Manolas by all accounts, but he wanted to be guaranteed 1st choice play. We nearly got Carvalho, but the contract was a mess, and wouldn't have been completed in time. I firmly believe we will get that sorted this time around. Maybe Khedira will come, maybe not, but all of his summer signings have been quality in my opinion.

The reason we are so stretched at the moment is our appalling injury record, which he has addressed with the new S/C coach.

Honestly don't get the AW bashing here, it's way OTT. Yes, he's made mistakes, all great managers do. I firmly believe he will prove all the doubters wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

emmetlego wrote: »
    Exactly how I feel. And the purchase of Ozil and Alexis show we have now turned a corner. He never recklessly spent, and if the type of player he wanted wasn't available, he wouldn't take him. We nearly got Manolas by all accounts, but he wanted to be guaranteed 1st choice play. We nearly got Carvalho, but the contract was a mess, and wouldn't have been completed in time. I firmly believe we will get that sorted this time around. Maybe Khedira will come, maybe not, but all of his summer signings have been quality in my opinion.

The reason we are so stretched at the moment is our appalling injury record, which he has addressed with the new S/C coach.

Honestly don't get the AW bashing here, it's way OTT. Yes, he's made mistakes, all great managers do. I firmly believe he will prove all the doubters wrong.

Why can't contract negotiations start now, so that the deal is wrapped up and can be made on January 1st? Surely Wenger knows now who he wants, so why wait til January to make contact over a transfer. Why must he wait till so late in the windows to make any progress and then use the excuse, that they just didn't work out because we ran out of time etc. The dog on the street knew we needed a centre back, so why wasn't one signed. The reason is simple. Wenger has a plan A and has NEVER felt the need for a plan B. This is also prevalent in his attitude to tactics. If we can't attack and keep scoring their is no plan B to allow us to defend. If we get injuries there is no plan B to cover such occurrences. Wenger is stubborn and likes the beautiful game, but he is too stubborn and refuses to accept that there are times when this can't happen, when a team is trying to win a trophy. There are parts of games, parts of seasons, where the team need to have an ugly side. We had this with Vieira, we had it with Fab to a lesser extent. We haven't had it in quiet some time, and that's why we are where we are. It will be this stubbornness that was his downfall at Monaco and it will be the same stubbornness that will be his downfall at Arsenal.

Another major concern for me, and one that plenty of others are saying too, is that he sends players out to play without clear instruction. It's been reported several times that he picks the players he think will work together and then sends them out on to the field with no clear instructions on how they should work together. When it works, its magnificent, when it doesn't it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

In short, and not meant to be offensive in any way. Internet and keyboard warriors, or Arsene Wenger.

I know who I trust.

I'm not questioning the right to question him, but I know which side of the fence I'm on. We're not declining, we are on the way back. I can feel it. I'll grant you, it's difficult to see the wood for the trees, but it's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The most frusrtrating thing about watching the team is the inconsistency of it all. One week they'll show flashes of brillance with pace and attacking power to beat anyone on their day, then the next it all seems to fall apart, the team revert to old, silly mistakes and the cycle repeats itself . False promise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rodgers is a decent manager.
    I'd prefer martinez or rudi garcia though

Rudi could bring Gervinho back with him :pac:

Do me a favour lads, I'm very drunk now, hopefully will be for the rest of the weekend. Whatever happens, (already "cheering" for Liverpool) a "dour" win has to be done.

And also :P Can't see when I last posted, any questioning of my bull****, let me know. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

This thread has gotten to the stage where it is just painful to read at times. Think it's time to unsubscribe for a few months. Shame as it used to be my favourite thread to read.

Kos out for another month at least and no back up.

Well played Wenger, well played...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    This thread has gotten to the stage where it is just painful to read at times. Think it's time to unsubscribe for a few months. Shame as it used to be my favourite thread to read.

I agree to a point. But what do you expect? Most fans I know have a pain in the face with this team now, it seems like its the same old same old, a few great performances on the bounce and then its back to absolutely embarrassing moments like the other night which knocks the teams confidence for another few games. It seems to be like groundhog day at Arsenal. We never seem to learn from our mistakes do we? Its just so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I think I'll join you.

I think I'll join you.

It's not fun on here atm but I feel that I have to continue posting as a balance to so much negativity.

The squad is really down to the bare bones atm and the next few weeks are going to be tough. Have a feeling the negativity will increase for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

cmon Arsenal, I hope to see a nice win this wkend, a bit of passion and some commitment.
    Wenger can take a flying leap off a short pier....
    I supoported the Club long before he arrived and i will support the club long after he is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Looking at today's fixtures I'm expecting West Ham, Southampton and Man Utd to all win! We must beat Swansea tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id take a point tbh. Tough place to go and our back line is in shambles against a very good team going forward.

A player who's got better since he joined Arsenal - he never had such an impressive goals per minute stat at Barca....

B16RMiUIQAA2Vcl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

DenMan wrote: »
    Looking at today's fixtures I'm expecting West Ham, Southampton and Man Utd to all win! We must beat Swansea tomorrow!

Skybet have that exact treble enhanced from 9/4 to 9/2 if you want to put your money where your mouth is. Have some on it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

A player who's got better since he joined Arsenal - he never had such an impressive goals per minute stat at Barca....

B16RMiUIQAA2Vcl.jpg

I love that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

emmetlego wrote: »

I genuinely admire your optimism. However there is nothing to point to the fact wenger will prove the doubters wrong. Going out and buying great players like Sanchez and Ozil is one thing but it's another thing to mangage that team with the tactical know how required in the modern era.

If we had won the CL in 06 he would have gone down in history as one of the greats imo. Unfortunately we've gotten nowhere near those heights since and haven't come close to challenging for the PL either. Yes the financial constraints were a huge factor following the building of the new stadium but now that we appear to be progressing well on the commercial end wenger hasn't shown any signs of being up for the job of turning the off field success to on field success.

Lets not forget we almost blew the FA cup against a very average side and I dread to think what that defeat would have done to wenger, the players and club as a whole. Other then our squad deficiencies (not helped by our appalling injury history) I don't believe it's a player problem. It's simply a manager with a vision of how the game is played which is completely outdated and not fit for purpose for a team with major honour ambitions. Hope I'm wrong, really do.

Early on but are we gonna have another member to the invincibles club?

Raf32 wrote: »

I hope not. It's certainly possible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

At least we still have a chance to stop that happening...

• Advertisement

I hope not. It's certainly possible though.

Yup a lot of hard away games gone and solid at home

We never beat Jose though, Southampton might do us a favour at their place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Raf32 wrote: »

Not a chance of them doing that.
    Some wee club will beat them, always lose to a small club.

Hey one in a million is still a chance!

Not a chance of them doing that.
    Some wee club will beat them, always lose to a small club.

Moneys on Sunderland to stop them :D

April 25th we play them. It's destiny ;)

• Advertisement

Moneys on Sunderland to stop them :D

West Brom for me.

April 25th we play them. It's destiny ;)

My birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So it's agreed then, on April 25th we shall beat Chelsea to end their up to then unbeatable run, overtake them in the table, registering Wenger's first win against Mourinho,who shall burst into flames and Arsene's men will walk into the sunset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

omega man wrote: »
    I genuinely admire your optimism. However there is nothing to point to the fact wenger will prove the doubters wrong. Going out and buying great players like Sanchez and Ozil is one thing but it's another thing to mangage that team with the tactical know how required in the modern era.

If we had won the CL in 06 he would have gone down in history as one of the greats imo. Unfortunately we've gotten nowhere near those heights since and haven't come close to challenging for the PL either. Yes the financial constraints were a huge factor following the building of the new stadium but now that we appear to be progressing well on the commercial end wenger hasn't shown any signs of being up for the job of turning the off field success to on field success.

Lets not forget we almost blew the FA cup against a very average side and I dread to think what that defeat would have done to wenger, the players and club as a whole. Other then our squad deficiencies (not helped by our appalling injury history) I don't believe it's a player problem. It's simply a manager with a vision of how the game is played which is completely outdated and not fit for purpose for a team with major honour ambitions. Hope I'm wrong, really do.

This I agree with I love Wenger and for everything he done at the club, the Invincibles will never be matched no matter how much people are trying to hype up Chelsea at the moment ;).

But I've said it a few times you just get the feeling we could have the strongest squad in the league and still have games like we did against Anderlecht.

Our problem is not the players we have but more so our lack of bottle at times for quite a while now we have had a bottling issue we couldn't even beat the worst United side I've ever seen last season. Wenger can't seem to instill a self belief, swagger and confidence in his teams these days.

Nor can he seem to calm things down when the the tide starts turning against us, either by changing players, tactics or just being an influence from the sideline. The 3-3 draw was not the first time we have seen an Arsenal side collapse in spectacular fashion.

Do I hope he can turn it around yes but are there worrying signs yes it's now November and were still struggling for form we look like a team still in pre season trying to find there rhythm and flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Anyone know what the story is what The Mercantile tomorrow? Would ye be able to get a ticket on the day and do you need to be a member of the supporters club?

• Advertisement

Tomorrow is a must win, reel citeh in and keep united back.

Come on you gunners

Tomorrow is a must win, reel citeh in and keep united back.

Come on you gunners

These are the kind of games we have to win.
    I agree that draws ate no good to us now as we're 12 points behind Chelsea.
    We will see if Wenger has them up for this after the criticism he gave them midweek. He has to have.

Guys, I'm looking at buying two Red Memberships for myself and the dad. If I buy them both in my name I assume I'll be ok to buy two tickets side by side for the game/s I want to go to? Any help would be appreciate

EDIT:
    Just realised I can't actually buy two in my name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Guys, I'm looking at buying two Red Memberships for myself and the dad. If I buy them both in my name I assume I'll be ok to buy two tickets side by side for the game/s I want to go to? Any help would be appreciated

You can even set it up in his name and just assign the account to you

Ya should get them side by side, unless your going through the ticket exchange

You can even set it up in his name and just assign the account to you

Ya should get them side by side, unless your going through the ticket exchange

Cheers, would the Ticket Exchange likely leave you apart? I notice the United game in a couple of weeks seems to have a tickets for sale through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

What are we supposed to do, sit back and say it'll be better next season blah blah blah? Some people are far too sensitive. We are NOT improving as a team. Why continue to deny this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

batistuta9 wrote: »
    but the negative Nellies are the ones wanting change, not the same stuff year in year out.

where did i hear it this week 'finish second in the CL group again, get KOd in the last 16 again, so you can concentrate on finishing in the top 4 again to qualify for the champions league again'
    increment & loop again :pac:

that record is appalling though, no two ways about it. no progress or positive thoughts are going to mask it

But some people want us to dump Wenger and bring in Brendan Rogers who hasn't been able to even reach that level of success at Liverpool.

Boggles the mind it does.

Mirror reporting Mats Hummels interested in joining and it'd be 32m.

I'd take him in a heartbeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Silly season only around the corner again

Dortmund lying at the bottom of the Bundesliga tonight. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement