Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

efb wrote: »
    It built ten a very solid foundation before fffp when we had no money

And what we had no foundation??? We have a wage bill similar to Chelseas, bought Ozil and Sanchez for mega money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You are not bigger than Atletico or Dortmund. Maybe in terms of commercial revenues but that is it.

Really? In terms of commercial revenue, trophies and worldwide fanbase we are. What are your criteria for stating that Atletico and Dortmund are bigger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

To be fair, Wenger shouldnt take all the blame, the players have been trash. There genuinely isnt a lot of quality in the squad bar maybe 7-8 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It built ten a very solid foundation before fffp when we had no money

The moment that stadium was completed, Arsenal were ahead of everyone else barring United financially. Arsenal's match day revenue dwarf's Chelsea. Where is this money going exactly?

Rhetorical question. We all know the answer. This thing about the debt is ridiculous. Most stadiums are paid off over decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

What has happened to Ramsey???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Kirby wrote: »
    Arsenal's match day revenue dwarf's Chelsea. Where is this money going exactly?

Rhetorical question. We all know the answer.

Paying for Emerites stadium

Soups123 wrote: »
    Seriously efb this is pointless. You are
    Happy with 4th
    Think Jose is a bad example of change
    Think Koeman would not be interested in Arsenal
    This the community shield is a trophy
    Think there is no better manager we can get than Arsene
    Think fans are over reacting and things are fine

It's a waste of my time trying to discuss

You could counter as I did instead of saying ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raf32 wrote: »
    To be fair, Wenger shouldnt take all the blame, the players have been trash. There genuinely isnt a lot of quality in the squad bar maybe 7-8 players.

But Wenger buys the players Raf. He handles the contract renewals. If there is a lack of quality in the squad, Wenger is at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wenger and the board love fans like you, they just wish every fan was so loyal and naive.

I dealt with that with the edit. When you buy a house EFB, do you set out crippling payments to pay off the total in a year? Or space it over 40 years.

Arsenal are loaded. Rolling in the money. This notion that they were ever financially constrained is rubbish.

• Advertisement

This reminds me of South Park's 'Blame Canada' but it's just 'blame Wenger!'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You could counter as I did instead of saying ffs

Nope I made my points.

It's unfortunate that the mediocrity accepted within the club has seeped into some fans. Almost like brainwashing.......

Quazzie wrote: »
    But Wenger buys the players Raf. He handles the contract renewals. If there is a lack of quality in the squad, Wenger is at fault.

Oh agreed he has built are weak both mentally and physically squad. But Ramsey, Per, Wilshere and even Ozil have let him down this season big time.

I dealt with that with the edit. When you buy a house EFB, do you set out crippling payments to pay off the total in a year? Or space it over 40 years.

Arsenal are loaded. Rolling in the money. This notion that they were ever financially constrained is rubbish.

Where is the evidence???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Really? In terms of commercial revenue, trophies and worldwide fanbase we are. What are your criteria for stating that Atletico and Dortmund are bigger?

I don't think they are bigger. About the same size in terms of trophies won. I won't argue on the Commercials because Arsenal win there.

Both have won more domestically and in Europe in the last few years than Arsenal.

Both have also been in the Champions League final in the last few years and Dortmund have won the Champions League.

Where is the evidence???

The evidence is your ticket prices. Some of the highest in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Where is the evidence???

You wouldn't belief it or see it if presented

Imagine if Simeone did somehow get the job. He would run the likes of Cazorla, Mert, Flamini and Podolski :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    You wouldn't belief it or see it if presented

That's a cop out lazy answer.

The link wasn't that lazy.

He doesnt fancy Bellerin or Campbell tbh. Jenkinson should be recalled straight away in January and have him and Debuchy at right back. Then we can move Chambers to backup centre back with Per. Then get a starting cb and dm and we are good to go. Thats what any right manager would do sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

B2BNEYRCMAA0CYC.jpg:large

As Carragher pointed out, before the game Wenger said that we were "finding the balance between defence and attack." This is us 1-0 up away from home with 15 minutes to go. Two defenders in our own half and Gibbs high up the pitch which led to him having to chase back and commit the foul that they scored from. I don't think there is another team in the league that would be naive enough to put themselves in that position when defending a lead. But this Arsenal team have been doing it regularly for years. While the players have to shoulder some of the blame, the fault lies with the manager first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Think I'll go and watch the FA cup final again to forget this misery. I'll still be biting my nails in case hull equalise in the dying seconds of extra time ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

No, what arsenal need is another dainty midfielder. That'll solve it. :-)

• Advertisement

I said it the other day, I believe Wenger has lost confidence in himself as a manager and this is rubbing off on the players.

The link wasn't that lazy.

Your link??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Santi needs to be dropped anyway.

Can't understand how Chambers was allowed to be roasted time after time without (a) Switching him to CB and bringing the pacier Bellerin on or else (b) having Chamberlain double up on Montero.

We've a better side than last year but it'll be a worse season we'll have I reckon.

The evidence is your ticket prices. Some of the highest in the world.

It's in the Greater London with one of the highest average take home pay in the world

• Advertisement

£390 million the cost of Emerites stadium that is some outlay, even refinancing that debt alone is a huge ask

Genuinely in a squad of 18, we wouldnt get too much into the Chelsea one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I imagine wenger picked the same 11 from mid week to give them a chance to redeem themselves which obviously failed.

He now has to start benching players who aren't performing. Injuries won't help this but it has to be done now. If things don't improve then he has no choice but to walk with some semblance of dignity.

Should have never left Highbury, all was rosey there:)

Genuinely in a squad of 18, we wouldnt get too much into the Chelsea one.

No, and thy weren't all signed since FFP

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Should have never left Highbury, all was rosey there:)

In the very very short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

£390 million the cost of Emerites stadium that is some outlay, even refinancing that debt alone is a huge ask

We also have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, higher than Chelsea.

Ozil was the second highest transfer fee in British football when purchased.

We're not exactly skint.

We also have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, higher than Chelsea.

Ozil was the second highest transfer fee in British football when purchased.

We're not exactly skint.

Again, that can be claimed as Chelsea offloaded a good few of their top earners last season (Cole, Lampatd)
    Before this season, it wasn't

Again, that can be claimed as Chelsea offloaded a good few of their top earners last season (Cole, Lampatd)

But at least they were proactive and got rid of their highest earners who werent playing. Podolski continues to sit there on 100000 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That doesn't exactly address one of the highest in Europe part.

• Advertisement

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-club-david-conn

Chelsea Ahead and this season isn't compete so to say it is right now is just optics

But at least they were proactive and got rid of their highest earners who werent playing. Podolski continues to sit there on 100000 a week.

We finally got rid of the Danish Wonderkid

Also this is the first season in 10 Arsenal may be ahead of Chelsea's

So in your opinion, how many years should we have a higher bill until we start competing with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Manager is doing himself no favours

Its not all about money though. Simeone won it over barca and Real selling a serious amount of players. Klopp toppled Bayern for two years. Money can only be used as an excuse for so much. The fact is we havent been better than Chelsea since 2004?

So in your opinion, how many years should we have a higher bill until we start competing with them?

10 would bring parity wouldn't it...

Are we just turned into glory hunters now...

Its not all about money though. Simeone won it over barca and Real selling a serious amount of players. Klopp toppled Bayern for two years. Money can only be used as an excuse for so much. The fact is we havent been better than Chelsea since 2004?

Proves my point tbf

Proves my point tbf

No, it shows teams with less money can occasionally topple the bigger teams through excellent management, we havent for 10 years. It really disproves your point actually.

• Advertisement

10 would bring parity wouldn't it...

Are we just turned into glory hunters now...

I doubt Wenger has such low expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement