Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

efb wrote: »
    No where near as liquid as City or Chelsea. Liverpool and United are around us

We've a cash reserve greater than all them together. We're a LOT more liquid than them. Do you even know what liquidity is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm not we can still finish in top 4 were are still in UCL why would anyone sack Arsene???

For bringing on Sanogo today. That in itself should be a sackable offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Quazzie wrote: »
    We've a cash reserve greater than all them together. We're a LOT more liquid than them. Do you even know what liquidity is?

Really? Where is city and Chelsea unites huge debt??? Roman and the Shiek are covering their clubs debt with Internet free loans

Quazzie wrote: »
    For bringing on Sanogo today. That in itself should be a sackable offense.

Harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

"We have to always keep a substantial amount of cash in reserve at all times in order to comply with our debt obligations.

We have to keep around £24 million in reserve.

"Out of the £123.3m, Arsenal must maintain a cash reserve under the financing agreements, currently around £24m"

http://angryofislington.com/2013/02/26/arsenal-financial-results-how-much-is-the-war-chest-now/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

No where near as liquid as City or Chelsea. Liverpool and United are around us

But much wealthier than, say, the other 15 teams? That those four you mention and Arsenal form their own mini league of wealth in the premier league, even if arsenal are bottom of that mini league? Yes? You agree?

Saipanne wrote: »
    But much wealthier than, say, the other 15 teams? That those four you mention and Arsenal form their own mini league of wealth in the premier league, even if arsenal are bottom of that mini league? Yes? You agree?

Yes I agree we are wealthier than the other 15 clubs I've said that a few times

Yes I agree we are wealthier than the other 15 clubs I've said that a few times

Ok, thanks. And yet, clubs with smaller budgets have shown that quality can be found at reasonable prices, and success can be had. So, Arsenal have a large transfer budget, though not the biggest, and smaller clubs have shown that smaller budgets need not be a hinderence. So, is it possible that Wenger is not performing well enough here? If not, what is the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Drop- Ramsey, Cazorla, Flamini, They don't deserve a place in the starting 11

Move- Chambers to CB, play Bellerin RB
    Ox- Put in a midfield with Wilshere.
    Then Walcott and Sanchez on the wings, with Wellbeck or Sanongo up top. Start giving Campbell some gametime, he surely deserves it when underperformers such as Ramsey at all are given a wide berth.

Monreal can't be CB again, it's beyond ridicolous. Play either Chambers or Hayden there.
    Morale must be at an all time low, I'd go as far as omitting Cazorla and Flamini from the squad completely, persisting with them is not doing any good.

I think the importance of Giroud is really obvious in games like this, for all his hold up play. Also obvious is our need for Arteta. Seems like we're incapable of winning or not collapsing without him.

It built ten a very solid foundation before fffp when we had no money
    Foundation rubbish. Wage bill is lower for better players.
    Cash reserves are needed for liquidity - you can't clear it out!
    No other team worries about "liquidity".
    "We have to always keep a substantial amount of cash in reserve at all times in order to comply with our debt obligations.
    There's around £200 million in cash reserves. £35 million has to be kept to service the debt. The debt itself is **** all. There's a ****load of money lying around whether you'll admit it or not.

Money also doesn't explain the baffling lack of tactics or gameplans or set moves and all the rest.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks. And yet, clubs with smaller budgets have shown that quality can be found at reasonable prices, and success can be had. So, Arsenal have a large transfer budget, though not the biggest, and smaller clubs have shown that smaller budgets need not be a hinderence. So, is it possible that Wenger is not performing well enough here? If not, what is the problem?

Yes you do not need 11 world class players in every position.

Did Ferguson have a squad with only world class players in it?

No he had some top players and other who would do a solid job.

We are missing the solid squad players especially at the back and there is absolutely no reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Weve been making in roads into complying with ffp for a good few seasons now, im all for it but its not going to change the market place.

Were not monaco or psg, thankfully.

We are not making inroads Gav we are fully compliant with FFP. In fact this year to date we are about £1.5m in profit in transfers or thereabouts, not bad for a spend thrift club. Arsenal try to make a moral crusade out of their financial prudence which is fine but sometimes in business debt (when manageable) is not a bad thing.

As for FFP at some stage it will be challenged in the courts and will fail as it is anti competitive. I personally think UEFA missed a trick on that in that any investment made by a sugar daddy could not add to a clubs debt, therefore if a Roman or anyone else wants to throw millions of THEIR OWN money at a club fine but must be as a gift whatever not a loan. That would positively put money into the game not become a mechanism for keeping the big big and the small small

Also I said a couple of months ago that we basically hadn't strengthened at the back due to losing numbers. Is that now generally accepted? Because Chambers ain't going to make a great right-full.

Yes you do not need 11 world class players in every position.

Did Ferguson have a squad with only world class players in it?

No he had some top players and other who would do a solid job.

We are missing the solid squad players especially at the back and there is absolutely no reason for it.
    Why is that that we've never been able to just have decent defenders to slot in? Since the unbeaten season I can only assume we basically stopped coaching any kind of defensive system. The lack of a proper DM in front obviously isn't helping but we always seem to need outstanding players rather than solid ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The problem is

No matter who is/was signed it wouldn't have changed today

It's the system not the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The sad thing is a serious amount of people here predicted this and were called negative.

We are not making inroads Gav we are fully compliant with FFP. In fact this year to date we are about £1.5m in profit in transfers or thereabouts, not bad for a spend thrift club. Arsenal try to make a moral crusade out of their financial prudence which is fine but sometimes in business debt (when manageable) is not a bad thing.

As for FFP at some stage it will be challenged in the courts and will fail as it is anti competitive. I personally think UEFA missed a trick on that in that any investment made by a sugar daddy could not add to a clubs debt, therefore if a Roman or anyone else wants to throw millions of THEIR OWN money at a club fine but must be as a gift whatever not a loan. That would positively put money into the game not become a mechanism for keeping the big big and the small small

Who's moral crusading, any Arsenal fans I know want them to spend the money they have.

And we have plenty of debt, we took out an enormous loan to build the Emirates remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ox- Put in a midfield with Wilshere.
    The word "exposed" comes to mind.

Wenger had better buy a DM in the next window.

The problem is

No matter who is/was signed it wouldn't have changed today

It's the system not the players

Seems more a coaching or discipline problem.

Do the players know what to do when winning 1-0 away from home with 15 mins left?

Either they are not told what to do or just do what they feel like even when told.

That's two weeks in a row Wenger criticized Ramsey for going forward too much so it looks like a discipline problem.

• Advertisement

Who's moral crusading, any Arsenal fans I know want them to spend the money they have.

And we have plenty of debt, we took out an enormous loan to build the Emirates remember.

If that is not the general view I stand corrected but I certainly get that impression.

Hard to understand the logic as an outsider huge club, huge support really difficult to understand

but how do you get past Chelsea and City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Cant understand why he wouldn't put Bellerin right-back and Chambers centre-back, would have solved a lot of problems today.

On the bright side I love Sanchez

If that is not the general view I stand corrected but I certainly get that impression.

Hard to understand the logic as an outsider huge club, huge support really difficult to understand

Yes the supporters are not even looking for huge name just someone who can do a solid job at DM and CB.

My belief from looking at Wenger since he arrived at the club, is that he refuses to pay over the odds for a player the club needs and will just shift players around until he finds someone better value.

Probably a result of his economic background.

Why is that that we've never been able to just have decent defenders to slot in? Since the unbeaten season I can only assume we basically stopped coaching any kind of defensive system. The lack of a proper DM in front obviously isn't helping but we always seem to need outstanding players rather than solid ones.

While Fergie did it Wenger could do it. Ferguson was a great manager!

How do you get past Real Madrid and Barcelona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Seems more a coaching or discipline problem.

Do the players know what to do when winning 1-0 away from home with 15 mins left?

Either they are not told what to do or just do what they feel like even when told.

That's two weeks in a row Wenger criticized Ramsey for going forward too much so it looks like a discipline problem.

I was reading someone say that it looked like ox was giving intrusions to protect chambers, he was sitting in front is him at the start of the second half but just seemed to stopped doing it

Wenger derserves most of the blame no doubt, but do we have 11 apes on the field too

82min 3-2 up on tues 5 men caught ahead of the ball, they break on score

74th min today 1-0 up loose the ball 7 players caught up field, they break get a free and score

Surely someone on the field can take on the the role and organise

How did Ferguson beat Chelsea and City when they were outspending him and had larger wage budgets.

How did Liverpool finish above Chelsea and Man Utd with such a meagre wage bill in comparison?

Chelsea escaped Uefa punishment by convincing the authorities that £16m of their 2012-13 losses were exempt under FFP rules. However "that may still leave them needing to lose no more than around £4.5m this season to comply with the regulations next year", says the Telegraph. ·

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/football-finances/57583/how-liverpool-can-join-chelsea-and-escape-uefa-ffp-penalty#ixzz3IbjDdJ1R

I wouldn't call that fully compliant - its like getting off a speeding fine on a technicality

How did Ferguson beat Chelsea and City when they were outspending him and had larger wage budgets.

How did Liverpool finish above Chelsea and Man Utd with such a meagre wage bill in comparison?

Fergie did once, and Chelsea were changing managers and concentrating on the UCL then

How do you get past Real Madrid and Barcelona?

How do you solve a problem like Maria...

• Advertisement

Liverpool has been one of the biggest spending clubs in the last few years

Chelsea escaped Uefa punishment by convincing the authorities that £16m of their 2012-13 losses were exempt under FFP rules. However "that may still leave them needing to lose no more than around £4.5m this season to comply with the regulations next year", says the Telegraph. ·

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/football-finances/57583/how-liverpool-can-join-chelsea-and-escape-uefa-ffp-penalty#ixzz3IbjDdJ1R

I wouldn't call that fully compliant - its like getting off a speeding fine on a technicality

We need to forget about what Chelsea and City are doing and concentrate on what were doing.

If Athletico can topple both Real Madrid and Barcelona thenArsenal can definitely topple City and Chelsea.

We finished 3 points behind Chelsea last season.

They are improving and we are going backwards.

How do you solve a problem like Maria...

The answer was: with effective coaching.

Well have a look at this, updated for today:

Wins: Crystal Palace, Besiktas, Aston Villa, Galatasaray, Anderlecht, Sunderland, Burnley.
    Draws: Besiktas, Everton, Leicester, Man City, Spurs, Hull, Anderlecht.
    Losses: Dortmund, Southampton, Chelsea, Swansea.

Forget Chelsea and City, we didn't get past Swansea, Dortmund, Southampton, Everton, Leicester, Spurs and beat Anderlecht and Besiktas once each out of 2 matches against each. It's November and we've won just 7 matches so far.

We need to forget about what Chelsea and City are doing and concentrate on what were doing.

If Athletico can topple both Real Madrid and Barcelona thenArsenal can definitely topple City and Chelsea.

We finished 3 points behind Chelsea last season.

They are improving and we are going backwards.

One swallow does not a summer make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One swallow does not a summer make

We have seen many summers and many swallows at this stage.:pac:

While Fergie did it Wenger could do it. Ferguson was a great manager!

Wenger was a great manager too.

The answer was: with effective coaching.

And money. Wenger is an effective coach.

Yes the supporters are not even looking for huge name just someone who can do a solid job at DM and CB.

My belief from looking at Wenger since he arrived at the club, is that he refuses to pay over the odds for a player the club needs and will just shift players around until he finds someone better value.

Probably a result of his economic background.

Could be I guess, success is different for different people I suppose. We supporters (of any club) success is winning things or at least being in the final knockings. But that would suggest the whole ethos of the club is financial prudence and they get as much pleasure looking at a good balance sheet at the end of the season rather than a shiny pot.

Sad thing is (from an Arsenal view) is the team is close and as you say just a few players changes your complexion absolutely. CB is a problem though most of the top clubs in England at least need at least 1 (us included) any good one on the market will command a huge price.

We have seen many summers and many swallows at this stage.:pac:

But the athletico model isn't a very stable one.

• Advertisement

Pity he didn't last as long at the top as Fergie.

He is very good, not as good as fergie was.

Pity he didn't last as long at the top as Fergie.

who did?

But the athletico model isn't a very stable one.

We are fans, not accountants though.
    Wenger should really move upstairs and leave the football side to a football brain.

And money. Wenger is an effective coach.

Seriously, how can you say that?

Were sixth, were challenging in UCL, things aren't that bad guys

Seriously, how can you say that?

His CV

who did?

Nobody. Fergie was by far the best.

In a tenure lasting more than 25 years as manager of Manchester United, Ferguson has accumulated 12 Premier League titles, two Champions League crowns, five FA Cup trophies, 10 Community Shields, one FIFA Club World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We are fans, not accountants though.
    Wenger should really move upstairs and leave the football side to a football brain.

Moving upstairs would be awful Tayto he would be involved in transfers still which would retain our lacklustre transfer policy!

• Advertisement

As for the Fergie comparison, he had some blips (not 10 season-long ones mind you) when a new challenger came along and beat him so what did he do? He reacted and changed tactics, changed the back-room staff, changed tactics, built a team around protecting players and covering deficiencies.
    He didn't play the same tactics for year after year with no results. He didn't break a club transfer record to play that player out of position in a side that never uses pacy attacks which are his strength.

No-one expects perfections, the shortcomings have been obvious for a decade now, it's inexcusable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement