Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

efb wrote: »
    His CV

I used to weight 14 stone, am I allowed to say that I'm in good shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If Fergies last 10 yrs were as poor as Arsenes he'd have finished with Utd 8 yrs ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Liverpool has been one of the biggest spending clubs in the last few years

Doesn't league position nearly always correlate to wage bills?

If so Liverpool massively overachieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its testement to Wenger that despite the shambles we are and how he's pulling us down, there are still fans that think he's the man for the job and will somehow pull this around.

However, we cannot progress until he steps down. He wont resign and the board wont sack him, so we have another two and a half seasons of this rubbish to look forward to. Pretty sick of the "who's better" argument. There are lots of managers out there that would recruit the players we need, make us hard to beat and have an actual Plan B.

It's going to get worse before it gets better though, so brace yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its testement to Wenger that despite the shambles we are and how he's pulling us down, there are still fans that think he's the man for the job and will somehow pull this around.

However, we cannot progress until he steps down. He wont resign and the board wont sack him, so we have another two and a half seasons of this rubbish to look forward to. Pretty sick of the "who's better" argument. There are lots of managers out there that would recruit the players we need, make us hard to beat and have an actual Plan B.

It's going to get worse before it gets better though, so brace yourselves.

I said the same thing about 3 years ago. Deja Vous.

• Advertisement

The FA cup as great as it was came with a price, 3 more years of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Another disapointing result but not a massive surprise either. Im a fan of Wenger and admire all he has done for the club. But there is something seriously wrong at the core of the club and he must take the blame.They are his players, his purchases and go out there every week on his direction. Taking todays result and the poor performances that have been evident for a few weeks aside, there have been signs of his decline for all to see over the last few years.
    Winning the FA cup last May was supposed to signal a new era for the club, new signings were promised, the financial shackles off etc. We bought well in the window but lost good squad players too
    With the exception of Sanchez there has been little else to get excited about this season, take out his work rate, attitude and goals and where would we be? much closer to the championship than the champions league spots id say.

The tide has turned on Wenger, most people have lost patience and Im one of them, there will always be a few hardy, loyal souls but even they have thinned out and theres only 4 or 5 left here on this thread fighting a losing battle.
    I dont expect change now but I do think the end of the season should. Im not sure of who is the best man for the job so dont ask, no matter who's name is suggested there will always be a few to pick holes in it. It doesnt neccesarily have to be a big name, just someone who can take the club forward, fresh thinking, hungry, has new ideas and someone who can motivate the players. They are all traits that arent visible watching us anymore and I honestly dont think that several players in the team believe in Wenger anymore.

Im sick of listening to people say that we cant compete with Chelsea and City. We dont need to spend billions just to have a decent squad, to have adequate replacements for Kos instead of shoving Monreal in there out of position. To have a better option than Flamini for dm etc
    There are too many issues surronding Wenger, his failure to play Ozil in his best position or get anything near the best out of him. His poor transfer theories, his loyalty to certain players, his quite frankly baffling substitutions (Sanogo today being one) or failure to bench players that are out of form, our lack of tactics or the way we simply have forgotten how to defend set pieces, our ability to close out games or our lack of threat against the big boys. Theres too many cracks to paper over now.

I dunno where we go from here, I dont mean to come across as dramatic, I know we're still 6th in the league and most likely heading for the knockout stages of the cl. But atm we are not challenging, just surviving and thats not good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Now, but if you ran 6 marathons you could put that down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

And money. Wenger is an effective coach.

Not as effective as Simeone.

I weights 7lbs at one point, so what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We'd challenge with the right manager.
    I love arsene, but he's not bringing us forward anymore. Another three seasons of this bollox ahead.

At the end of the day almost all fans here have apologised for getting to the point and then saying it's time Wenger went.

I support Arsenal and only Arsenal, not players, managers or staff, if someone said sell Sanchez and you win the league then I sell him.

Everyone wants what's best for the club not what's best for the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Saipanne wrote: »
    Not as effective as Simeone.

Or Gary Monk today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I got awful abuse here and was told I was trolling at the end of last season for saying the exact same things most arsenal fans are saying now. Things have gone stale. A change is needed.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I got awful abuse here and was told I was trolling at the end of last season for saying the exact same things most arsenal fans are saying now. Things have gone stale. A change is needed.

Come on Niallo you were trolling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Soups123 wrote: »
    Come on Niallo you were trolling :)

I wasn't though. I don't mind arsenal fans.

Until the halfway stage of the season there's 8 league matches left against

United H
    West Brom A
    Southampton H
    Stoke A
    Newcastle H
    Liverpool A
    QPR H
    West Ham A

So when's the awesome run start? Already we've gone below a target that some said was attainable 3 matches ago, so even 8 wins out of 8 ain't quite gonna do it, I think the league might be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Out tacticed by Gary monk

Jaysus. Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Can I just ask..

If Wenger was to turn around after this defeat and go on a crazy streak and be second by Christmas, would the majority still be Wenger out?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Out tacticed by Gary monk

Jaysus. Wenger.

And Besnik Haki!

• Advertisement

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Can I just ask..

If Wenger was to turn around after this defeat and go on a crazy streak and be second by Christmas, would the majority still be Wenger out?

For me he has the rest of this season anyway and judge him then but a small bit of form just means were here again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Can I just ask..

What if Arsenal continue in this form and finish 5th at the end. Will his supporters still back him?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    What if Arsenal continue in this form and finish 5th at the end. Will his supporters still back him?

5th, yes.

Can I just ask..

As in 10/10 wins by new year? Still not enough to get through top of the group stage even, and that's his fault.
    Literally nothing to suggest that kind of form could happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

My biggest problem is the modern football fall seems to want instant success

Can you elaborate on instant? I think we have been patient enough for the last decade. Did you see the price of a ticket to watch this team, dearest in the UK, how can they justify charging so much to watch such an average team?

Were sixth, were challenging in UCL, things aren't that bad guys

Your correct. Things arent that bad. But do you not see that this team is going nowhere and has stagnated. I honestly can never see us winning a premier lge title or being serious contenders in the champions lge under Wenger. I love the man and I would never ever want to see him sacked, he brought the club some great years of success and built the best team to ever grace English football. But there comes a point when things arent working out when you say enough is enough. This is Arsenal football club not Arsene football club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can I just ask..

Absolutely nothing to suggest this will happen, but yes, his time his up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Can I just ask..

Yes, even if we win the illustrious FA cup again.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on instant? I think we have been patient enough for the last decade. Did you see the price of a ticket to watch this team, dearest in the UK, how can they justify charging so much to watch such an average team?

Arsenal are based in London one of the highest average take home pay in the world everything is more expensive in London

• Advertisement

We have been successful 2 FA Cup wins in those 10 years always top 4 and always got to knockout football in champions league.

What would ye do if ye supported Spurs or Everton or Leeds???

Arsenal are based in London one of the highest average take home pay in the world everything is more expensive in London

Is it more expensive in North London than it is in Chelsea?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is it more expensive in North London than it is in Chelsea?

I didn't realise Chelsea had built a new stadium

We have been successful 2 FA Cup wins in those 10 years always top 4 and always got to knockout football in champions league.

What would ye do if ye supported Spurs or Everton or Leeds???

So you are content with 2 F.A Cup wins and just qualifying for the Champs Lge even tho we will never win it?? Were better than that, with the revenues the club is bringing in we should be much more successful than this current team.

I didn't realise Chelsea had built a new stadium

What's that got to do with it? Is it more expensive because it's newer, because it's definitely not got to do with the standard of football/

What's that got to do with it? Is it more expensive because it's newer, because it's definitely not got to do with the standard of football/

The cost of building it
    Top 5 season tickets: Arsenal's includes FA and UCL btw
    4/5 are London clubs

Arsenal £2,013

Tottenham £1,895

Chelsea £1,250

Manchester United £950

Queens Park Rangers £949

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who lost the ball for Swansea's winner?
    I remember swearing at the t.v. when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Incredible how much Chambers has been overated by the English media. Any pacy winger will destroy him.Maybe he can be better as a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Chelsea escaped Uefa punishment by convincing the authorities that £16m of their 2012-13 losses were exempt under FFP rules. However "that may still leave them needing to lose no more than around £4.5m this season to comply with the regulations next year", says the Telegraph. ·

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/football-finances/57583/how-liverpool-can-join-chelsea-and-escape-uefa-ffp-penalty#ixzz3IbjDdJ1R

I wouldn't call that fully compliant - its like getting off a speeding fine on a technicality

really weak piece you refer to there, but typical of the Telegraph really awful paper. That may still leave could also be wrote they may need to lose more than St£20.5m, however. From an FFP aspect we have made a profit of about $137m this summer from transfer dealings, our earnings from players on loan is just south of ST£10m, we have reached the CL semi final so increased revenue streams there, the new Sky deal with the FA lifts all PL boats and we have significant new sponsorship deals.

The Telegraph does not point out basically all stadium development and Youth team costs are exempt from FFP, therefore losses accrued from these activities are deductible. I feel certain the bean counters at Chelsea have a better understanding of these rules and regulations than a Telegraph journalist.

So yes we are comfortably meeting our FFP obligations.

The cost of building it
    Top 5 season tickets: Arsenal's includes FA and UCL btw
    4/5 are London clubs

Arsenal £2,013

Tottenham £1,895

Chelsea £1,250

Manchester United £950

Queens Park Rangers £949

Do you think that Arsenal are worth nearly twice as much as watching Chelsea. Do the seats massage you or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Looper007 wrote: »
    Swansea weren't out of this world they had two chances and they took them.

Teams seem to be taking a lot of their chances against us.

• Advertisement

Do you think that Arsenal are worth nearly twice as much as watching Chelsea. Do the seats massage you or something?

Closer to 1.5 times and yes

_78875505_arsenalcaughtonthebreak.jpg

Arsenal defending 101

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29917344

Martin Keown's analysis of our defending today

_78875505_arsenalcaughtonthebreak.jpg

Arsenal defending 101

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29917344

Martin Keown's analysis of our defending today

That is shocking 6 players ahead of the ball and our left back in the DM position, exact same as the 3rd goal against Anderlecht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

7 players really cos Flamini was never gonna catch up either

Soups123 wrote: »
    That is shocking 6 players ahead of the ball and our left back in the DM position, exact same as the 3rd goal against Anderlecht

And the most frustrating thing is that the same will happen over and over again. We never learn from our mistakes.

7 players really cos Flamini was never gonna catch up either

A perfect picture example of how poor a DM he is, he should be 10/15 yards deeper ready to break it down

And the most frustrating thing is that the same will happen over and over again. We never learn from our mistakes.

Thats been happening for years now as you know, its crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Teams seem to be taking a lot of their chances against us.

United fans were saying that too

Bridge93 wrote: »
    United fans were saying that too

I wont be backing a 0-0 draw thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The word "exposed" comes to mind.

Wenger had better buy a DM in the next window.

Arteta would be in front of them. Until Jan it'll have to do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement