Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We were 4th before yesterday, doing v well in our group in UCL

Do we want a Spurs wheel of managers merry-go-round situation? If not, why would arsenal be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

efb wrote: »
    Ask Henry Bergkamp Pires Viera Ljunberg- they will tell you what they think of him

Ask them what they thought of him when they were here and we were successful?

Or ask them do they really think he is still the right man for Arsenal?

Ask Nasri, RVP, Cesc etc if they believed in his 'project'. The past offers no insight to the future. Everyone recognise he was once great but those days are gone.

The FA cup last year was by hook or by crook, we barely won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Under performed in what respect? 4th place FA cup winners and UCL last 16 is performing to me

sure even ROSENBORG qualified for the group stages 11 times, 8 consecutively!! Ok it's still quite an achievement but Arsenal FC must aim higher than simply 4th spot year on year. Personally I think we're a bigger club than you think we are.

Do we want a Spurs wheel of managers merry-go-round situation? If not, why would arsenal be different?

Graham brought success
    Heuston failed
    Rioch failed
    Wenger succeeded

I would happily run the risk of that sequence of events again if it brought the club forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    That's a damned if you do, damned if you don't response if ever I saw one.

If he had said that we were still in the hunt for the title, the response would have been that he was delusional, and shying away from the facts. Anyway what he says to the press has 0% connection with what he says to his players and how he motivates them.

Well isn't that just it? Motivation !!
    I don't see a motivated team these days. Do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Please elaborate???

"We couldn't improve our squad" is BS. We could and can but Wenger won't/is incapable of making the right signings with or without money.

Wenger never spent big in the glory days the stadium never took anything away from him as he still had the same if not more money at his disposal.

It's the signings that were sh1t its the way he set up the team and it's his poor tactics that are/were the problem, not money.

Ask Henry Bergkamp Pires Viera Ljunberg- they will tell you what they think of him

Maybe we should also ask RVP, Clichy, Nasri, Toure etc too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well isn't that just it? Motivation !!
    I don't see a motivated team these days. Do you?

I didn't see a lack of motivation yesterday. The principle reasons for the defeat yesterday were round pegs in square holes (Chambers and Monreal) and a DM who is not up to the task

I didn't see a lack of motivation yesterday. The principle reasons for the defeat yesterday were round pegs in square holes (Chambers and Monreal) and a DM who is not up to the task

How many played out of position yesterday apart from Monrael?
    Chambers has basically being playing RB all season.

• Advertisement

I see both, I see a team that doesnt believe in its manager or doesnt understand what he wants. I see no leader on the pitch.

The round pegs in square holes we have done to death and all agree this is 110% of Arsenes making. He didnt buy players that failed to achieve he just failed to buy players and the money was clearly there to do it

How many played out of position yesterday apart from Monrael?
    Chambers has basically being playing RB all season.

he just couldn't cope with Montero. Perhaps he's not faced a trickier opponent so far this season but he looked out of his depth.

he just couldn't cope with Montero. Perhaps he's not faced a trickier opponent so far this season but he looked out of his depth.

and he got very little help.
    So who else was played out of position?

and he got very little help.
    So who else was played out of position?

As I already posted, Chambers and Monreal

As I already posted, Chambers and Monreal

So that's it then?
    Those two playing out of position are causing us embarrassing defeats?
    Did many not forsee that problem arising even before the season began?
    Who is responsible for allowing it occur?

Soups123 wrote: »
    Graham brought success
    Heuston failed
    Rioch failed
    Wenger succeeded

I would happily run the risk of that sequence of events again if it brought the club forward.

Heuston was never a permanent manager

If 90% of the fans and commentators saw it why didnt he? Why didnt he thinking this guy is getting roasted against one of the fastest players in the league. Why didnt he think hey I have Bellerin here the fastest player in our squad and just by chance he is a RB, maybe this could work?

But no as always rabit in headlights moment and sit back and let it play out, making no changes until we conceed two goals. And even then Sanago on instead an German international with a proven goalscoring record off the bench

"We couldn't improve our squad" is BS. We could and can but Wenger won't/is incapable of making the right signings with or without money.

Wenger never spent big in the glory days the stadium never took anything away from him as he still had the same if not more money at his disposal.

It's the signings that were sh1t its the way he set up the team and it's his poor tactics that are/were the problem, not money.

It was widely acknowledged that we didn't have the money to invest in the team when Chelsea and later City were pumping in millions

Heuston was never a permanent manager

Were did I say he was? I listed the sequence of events.

Yet again you respond with no detail just a one liner with no substence, its get you busy atleast

• Advertisement

So that's it then?
    Those two playing out of position are causing us embarrassing defeats?
    Did many not forsee that problem arising even before the season began?
    Who is responsible for allowing it occur?

So what were you expecting yesterday a 4 - 0 victory? Swansea is a difficult place to go to and games at this leverl are decided on the tightest of margins.

As to the transfer window we should have strengthened at the back and I don't know why we didn't but that is the single biggest failing that is hurting at the moment.

It was widely acknowledged that we didn't have the money to invest in the team when Chelsea and later City were pumping in millions

Over the years I have seen much better displays, even many winning ones, against better teams than Swansea and with a less talented team.
    So how does that work?

It was widely acknowledge we had less of it and of what we did have we werent willing to part with it.

I fail to see the relevence of what any other club did financially this summer as to an excuse why Arsene didnt sign defensive cover.

Were did I say he was? I listed the sequence of events.

Yet again you respond with no detail just a one liner with no substence, its get you busy atleast

Then how did he fail? He was holding the position- I think he did well, considering

Over the years I have seen much better displays, even many winning ones, against better teams than Swansea and with a less talented team.
    So how does that work?

I've seen good teams capitulate against far worse teams than Swansea too, the favourite doesn't win every match

It was widely acknowledge we had less of it and of what we did have we werent willing to part with it.

I fail to see the relevence of what any other club did financially this summer as to an excuse why Arsene didnt sign defensive cover.

Maybe he couldn't get the right players as they were enticed elsewhere with big money

• Advertisement

So what were you expecting yesterday a 4 - 0 victory? Swansea is a difficult place to go to and is decided on the tightest of margins.

As to the transfer window we should have strengthened at the back and I don't know why we didn't but that is the single biggest failing that is hurting at the moment.

I was expecting a win actually. Score never matters.
    So Wenger not strengthening the defence especially with a good DM and CB is
    hurting us but not really his fault at all??? Whose is it?

I was expecting a win actually. Score never matters.
    So Wenger not strengthening the defence especially with a good DM and CB is
    hurting us but not really his fault at all??? Whose is it?

I didn't say it wasn't his fault - we didn't strengthen adequately and as the manager the buck has to stop with Arsene.

I've seen good teams capitulate against far worse teams than Swansea too, the favourite doesn't win every match

Indeed but good managers don't let capitulation occur on a regular basis either.
    After last Tuesday i thought we would see a backlash but alas no.

Do you guys expect to win the league at the start of every season? Worse than some dilousioned liverpool fans if you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I would have firmly been in the #inwengerwetrust camp at the start of the season and was hoping optimistically that we would still be challenging but the disjointed performances and failure to strengthen in the areas that we are obviously weak in have eroded that optimism and have shifted me towards the "change is needed" camp.

Wengers strength in the past was to play the game the way it should be played, the problem these days is that there doesn't seem to be another option and when that plan doesn't work he either can't or won't because he is too stubborn change the style of play. We are too predicable to play against which is disappointing given some of the brilliant individually skilled players that are at the club.

We should have won that match yesterday, we should be still in the top four but we aren't. The next game at the Emirates is massive, lose to United and I don't believe we will even finish fourth this season. I don't know if Wenger has lost his hunger but something is drastically wrong if he cannot motivate a skilled squad of players to actually play for the club. From looking at the body language of a lot of our players they just look like they are turning up for their pay cheque and nothing else.

As has been said already a couple of victories and the whole atmosphere will change, the problem is at the moment I don't see them coming.

• Advertisement

Indeed but good managers don't let capitulation occur on a regular basis either.
    After last Tuesday i thought we would see a backlash but alas no.

We are 6th and 2nd in our CL group- can't be too regular

Then how did he fail? He was holding the position- I think he did well, considering

He had it from February to May, had he done well he'd have got the job. He failed win about 60% of the games he took charge, thats a fail for me.

He had it from February to May, had he done well he'd have got the job. He failed win about 60% of the games he took charge, thats a fail for me.

He was never in contention afaik

Do you guys expect to win the league at the start of every season? Worse than some dilousioned liverpool fans if you do

I don't expect to be completely out of it after 11 games though.
    Nor do I expect the manager to come out and confirm that we are out of it at this stage.

Maybe he couldn't get the right players as they were enticed elsewhere with big money

You just make an excuse for the sake of making an excuse. He could easily have signed a 3/4th choice CB on the market. He could easily have paid for a DM if he wanted to. He chose not to.

I havent expected Arsenal to win the league since the invincables but I expect it to be a target for the club. Failing to win it is okay failing to try to win well thats not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dunno why some of ye are rising to the bait lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

wonga77 wrote: »

Yeah i stopped, was too late tho had already gotten riled up! :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I expect us to be challenging for the top spot yes, every fan of a big club should be. The problem for me is the deficiencies of the team are so obvious that it is extremely frustrating that those weaknesses either weren't spotted or were ignored and not acted upon.

It is especially frustrating when a lot of our direct rivals are also stuttering and we are pissing away the opportunity to pull ahead of them.

Bit of craic. He's easy to counteract as his arguments don't stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Then its the managers job to get a message to him to show him inside or else the manager should replace Monreal and bring on Bellerin. I dont blame Chambers. He was let down by his manager.

• Advertisement

Bit of craic. He's easy to counteract as his arguments don't stand up.

I fail to see anything except the usual bs- we should be challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I expect progress.

We are in a worse league position now than we were 12 months ago.
    We have less points than we had 12 months ago.
    We have a weaker defence than we had 12 months ago.
    We are making THE SAME MISTAKES we were 12 months ago.

The blame lies with the manager. Can you even see that?

I fail to see anything except the usual bs- we should be challenging

You must be really a Spurs fan if you thing we shouldn't be challenging. :pac:

You just make an excuse for the sake of making an excuse. He could easily have signed a 3/4th choice CB on the market. He could easily have paid for a DM if he wanted to. He chose not to

You know this for certain?

You must be really a Spurs fan if you thing we shouldn't be challenging. :pac:

No I'm a realist

No I'm a realist

Yeah, a delusional realist :pac:

Yeah, a delusional realist :pac:

Paradox?

True, think I'll not let myself be wound up anymore

Is Wenger the first of the Top 6 team managers to concede the title in the 2nd week of November?
    Can't remember it ever happening previously.

• Advertisement

You know this for certain?

Yes I know for certain we could sign a 3/4th choice centre back if Wenger wasnt incompetent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement